Start by marking “Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy (Disney Chapter Book (ebook) 1)” as Want to Read:

(Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire #1)

Zare Leonis seems destined to become a poster boy for the Empire. His sister Dhara has been accepted into the esteemed Imperial Academy on Lothal and Zare is confident he'll join her in a year's time. But a year can bring plenty of unwelcome changes. Not only does he begin to uncover the Empire's destructive plans for Lothal and the livelihood of its people, but his unease ...more
Published October 21st 2014 by Disney Lucasfilm Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars Rebels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars Rebels

Start your review of Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy (Disney Chapter Book (ebook) 1)
Jim C
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is based on a story arc from the cartoon series. This is actually a prequel to that episode. One does not need to view that episode to read this book.

In that episode we meet Zare Leonis who is an Imperial cadet. Truthfully, he is a spy for the rebels and is searching for his missing sister. In this book, we get to know his sister as well as Zare's disillusionment with the Empire. This all takes place during a sports season that Zare is a participant.

This was a quick read that fits in nicely
Jon Huff
I really enjoyed this. A simple, quick read. But I was drawn in by the characters and plot. I look forward to the next one.
Neil R. Coulter
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
The Rebels/Rogue One era is my favorite part of Star Wars. It's very interesting to see how the galaxy recovers from the Clone Wars, and how the rebellion against the Empire develops. This book series was highly recommended from a GR friend, and I looked forward to getting back in the Rebels world and Lothal.

It's interesting to see the Empire slowly crushing a planet through bureaucracy and propaganda rather than through outright warfare. This first novel in the series asks the basic question:
C
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a soft spot for YA books and Star Wars has always fit well into that tradition.

I was going to pass on this initially. I was not a fan of Ezra's gamble and I'm not 100% sold on Rebels yet, in general. (I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, but it has some real issues that are bothering me...) I read some really positive things about this, though, and it convinced me to give it a try. I'm very glad that I did.

Fry deftly handles the politics of the new Empire coming to an outer rim
Elizabeth
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been hungry for more information on the Leonis siblings ever since their brief cameo in Star Wars Rebels, and this book - the first of a quartet - does not disappoint. For a junior novel, it doesn't shy away from politics, economics, or even bigotry ("I have no issues with aliens myself," says one blatantly Space Racist character, "some of my best friends are nonhuman," like ACTUALLY.) It's heavy on the sports, sure, but I can absolutely see that appealing to the reluctant reader.

And, of
Christian
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Far surpassed my expectations. I had heard it was a sports novel rip-off of Ender's Game, and admittedly the sports-heavy sections were not my cup of tea. Overall it ended up being much more poignant than I had anticipated, as the story of a young boy coming to understand the injustices of society and government. Even managed to touch on racism in a way that befits the tone of the book. It's certainly no masterpiece of literature, but it's pretty okay for a Star Wars book geared towards ...more
Bryan W.
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always had a soft spot for the YA Star Wars books, like Last of the Jedi, Galaxy of Fear etc. this was a quick read, but Jason Fry packs a lot of characterization into 172 pages. This is Zare Leonis' real origin story and this had the feeling that this is only the beginning of his journey. It shows a lot of the day to day corruption of the Empire that has ruined Lothal.
Jaymie
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to this era in the Star Wars universe (between movie III and movie IV) from the side of people who still believe the Empire is there to help. Looking forward to reading more of these.
Nancy
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent middle grade Star Wars adventure. It's a prelude to the Rebels cartoon (the main character Zare appears in "Breaking Ranks", S01E04), but you don't need to know anything about the show to enjoy this book.
Cailey Monaghan
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tie-in and backstory. Adds richness to the world of Rebels.
DAYADEW
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the things I expected this book to be, "sports story" never came to mind. Granted, it would be space sports story, but still. And I, who could never throw/kick/serve/successfully dodge a ball to save a life was kinda stuggling with the sports terms—space-ness aside—to understand a game that sounded like American football... in space.

Not too lengthy like the other novels (A New Dawn) so it's much easier to chew, but not as basic as the novelizations of Rebels season one, so it's no less
Ahdom
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am finally going back and reading the chapter books that correlate to the Rebels series. So far, I have enjoyed books adapted from the show as they add the value of character insight. However, my favorites have been the books that are original stories. Jason Fry does a great job on this book, which is a prequel to the Rebels series and is part of a 4 book series that center around Zare Leonis. This book kicks off the series and adds a complexity to the character that you simply cannot get from ...more
Jenna
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book by Jason Fry! I have been really enjoying this series... I read book 2, book 3, and then book 1 unintentionally. Although I read them out of order I was still able to follow the story effectively; most likely because I have seen the Rebels tv show. I absolutely loved learning more about Zare's character and seeing his background story more in depth, which was only briefly mentioned in a couple episodes of the tv show Rebels. I can't wait to read the last book in this ...more
Joss
Other readers have shared how pleasantly surprised they had been by this short book, although it is marketed for a young audience. I agree. But I personally did not care for the American-football-like sports game, as important as it was to the story. This might be the first time that I feel this much of an «American-ness» to Star Wars, and it threw me off a bit. But that did not bother me enough to make me dislike it, and the overall story connects nicely to the Rebels animated series.
Graham Tomlinson
This is a great little book, the story revolves around all new characters who's lives become overshadowed by the overwhelming might of the Empire. Based on Ezras home planet of Lothal we see how the Empire is initially seen as a kind benefactor to the people but as they begin to see the true nature of the Empire throughout the story their opinions begin to change. A surprisingly adult theme for a young adult novel. Recommended
Gregory Roberts
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Too much of a sports focus

Overall the storyline is good. It follows Zare's life before the academy but it spends far too much time talking about the sport Grav-ball. Too much play by play that does nothing to progress the main storyline nor add any emotion for the reader.
Gef
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A new story starts. Yes it's on Lathol and included people we've met but where are the Rebels?
Steven
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
A pretty disposable off-shoot of the Star Wars Rebels cartoon, this book is exactly the kind of thing I would have loved to read as a kid.
Natalie Joy
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P good
Jaime K
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zare Leonis is jealous that his sister, Dhara, is able to go to the Imperial Academy on Lothal while he's stuck heading to the Junior Academy for Applied Sciences. The family moved to the planet a month before, and is slowly acclimating to the climate and neighbors. Many families are moving to Lothal; many are locals.

It's terribly strange for me to read of the Earth's seasons in a book. That is almost enough to make me drop an entire star rating (yes, I'm cranky and picky at times). but really,
Brandt
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scifi, star-wars
So I've registered my complaints about the Star Wars young readers books in previous reviews although sometimes they get it right, like with the Luke Skywalker adventure The Weapon of a Jedi by Jason Fry. Fry is back this time with a story from the Star Wars: Rebels branded series Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy.

Edge of the Galaxy follows the story of Zare Leonis, who is a character searching for his missing sister when he runs across Ezra Bridger's path in the season one episode
Miss Clark
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film-and-tv, mg
Marcin Kowalski
When starting to read those novels targeted at younger readers I am always skeptic and to my surprise... always positively surprised. It was the same with the "Adventures in Wild Space".
This time around though the first half of the book really was kinda dull. You could call the concept of this book a high school drama/horror, where the star athlete/quarterback strives to win the school championship while at the same time uncovering some body snatchers conspiracy, where the Empire did the body
Sczther
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
A promising start to a series i have seen being recommended a lot. A direct Rebels tie-in with kind of a parallel line of plot sounds good, and this is a fine setup for it.
The book's a year in the life of Zare Leonis, as he changes from a newly arriving obedient Lothal citizen to a man (well kid) with a mission. The transfer is well executed, the book is filled with very nice background of Lothal and Imperial authorities. Other main kids have nice personalities and feel natural. The main plot of
Mario
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult is just a category... this novel was fantastic whether it adjusts to that label or not. It mixes in a great way a bit of young romance, the struggle of regular people against the Empire and then there is the matter of sports. Yes, sports, we get at last a complete definition of a sport in the Star Wars universe. Grav-ball is sort of a condensed version of football (the American version, dear friends, not soccer) and we see the effect of corruption and discrimination in the Empire.

All
Nathalie Maes
This story follows Zare Leonis, who is a character that originated in the Star Wars: Rebels series, and though his story is lightly touched upon, we never see the resolution to his story. This series of books is looking to change that.
I find it really interesting so far, and I'm assuming it only gets more interesting from here. I like Zare a lot, and this will make me look differently at him whenever I see his Rebels episodes again.
Vanessa
Zare Leonis wants nothing more than to attend the Academy with his sister so he can one day serve the Empire. But then one day his sister disappears and the story the Empire is telling stops adding up. Zare quickly learns that everything is not as it appears and the Empire may be move evil than he ever could have imagined.

This is an excellent book for anyone who enjoys Star Wars or sports books (especially football). Recommended for ages 8-12.
JMK
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This was an interesting look at how the Empire looks to those who haven't been so obviously wronged by it and how that can change. I probably would have given this book another star if it weren't for the large focus on sports. It tied in plot elements well, but was neither my cup of tea, nor did it add as much as I feel the writer could have without such depth into the games. That being said, the characters were fairly interesting and I enjoyed seeing their points of view.
Ben
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, bedtime, star-wars
Read this to my 7 year old. It is interesting because it is a book that centers around a sports season in the Star Wars universe. There is a larger section about racism, and Zare's story explains how he got to be the way he is when he appears in episode 4 of Season 1, a traitor to the empire. My son was lost track of the plot a lot (it did drag at times) so I would recommend it more for kids who are 9-12 years old.
Julie
I just watched the first season of Star Wars: Rebels, and when I saw there was a book series about Zare Leonis I knew I had to jump right on that.

It's a lot of fun! It's interesting getting this officially-canon look at Imperial training, both for Stormtroopers and for officers. Zare's a good kid.

• Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Rise of the Rebels (Star Wars Rebels Chapter Book, #1)
  • The Rebellion Begins (Star Wars Rebels)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • The Rescue (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #6)
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Cold (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #5)
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • The Nest (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #2)
  • The Snare (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #1)
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.25)
  • The Dark (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #4)
I am the author of The Jupiter Pirates series published by HarperCollins -- visit the official site at http://jupiterpirates.com.

In addition to Jupiter Pirates, I've written or co-written more than 30 novels and short stories set in the Star Wars galaxy, including The Essential Atlas, The Essential Guide to Warfare, The Weapon of a Jedi, and the Servants of the Empire quartet.

I spent more than 12

Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire (4 books)
  • Rebel in the Ranks (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #2)
  • Imperial Justice (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #3)
  • The Secret Academy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #4)