Start by marking “The Red Bishop” as Want to Read:
The Red Bishop

The Red Bishop

Lake Price isn’t your average teenage girl.

Sure, she and her friends are doing what many other high school kids do on Cape Cod: heading to Chatham Manor—nicknamed “Hell”—for a good scare. But for Lake, it's more than just a thrill-seeking game. It’s what keeps her alive.

Ever since her brother, Kimball, disappeared four years ago, Lake has needed the danger and the fear to
Published November 12th 2014 by Full Fathom Five Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Red Bishop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Bishop

Andrea Murray
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

If you like horror fiction, this one’s for you. It is downright terrifying at times and pretty descriptive. Unfortunately, it was a whole lot like watching the latest scary movie and being tremendously disappointed because all the good parts were in the trailer. While the storyline is unique—you don’t find too many novels about hair-eating witches—I had a hard time getting into the novel.
My two biggest issues were with the unanswe
Marjolein
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Witches eating children's hair and an haunted house... Sounds interesting.

Meet Lake, she's been a bit off since her brother disappeared from his bedroom four years earlier. Always looking for a thrill, she, two friends and one potential love-interest decide to visit the alleged haunted house in the woods. These things are always in woods, aren't they? There have been a number of disappearances in the past in the region from people who v
Kim
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Red Bishop was such an interesting read. Lake Price is the epitome of a slightly out of control teenage girl, and rightfully so. Four years ago, her older brother was kidnapped from his bedroom and never seen again. It has left Lake on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. On one hand, she is consumed with grief and sadness and fear for her brother Kimball, not quite able to admit that he may be dead. On the other hand, she is numb, just completely emotionally numb to anything else. As a resu ...more
Holly
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could NOT put this book down. I read it in two days by basically skipping sleep which is quite a sacrifice as a mom of two small children. SUCH. A. FUN. READ.

Other reviews have given a great synopsis, so I won't do that in my review. Instead, I'll talk about the main character, Lake, who I thoroughly enjoyed. Sometimes the teenage characters in YA novels annoy the hell out of me (e.g. Clary and Jace from the Mortal Instruments series). Lake did not annoy me at all! She isn't whiny or over-the-
Lucinda Literary
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Greg Boose has not yet announced whether there will be a sequel, but his heartpounding cliffhanger left me begging for one!
Whenever we roll into autumn, thoughts turn to New England - home of Thanksgiving and fall foliage. The Red Bishop is a singularly intriguing interweaving of modern-day teenhood escapades and the mysticism of old Puritan Massachusetts.
Boose very adeptly captures the sensitivities of a young female character. Ever since Lake Bell's brother went missing, she has buried her th
Heather A
I recieved a copy from Netgalley.

DNFing at 53%.

Contains a pretty big spoiler, which will me mentioned in a rant because it irritated me.

This one started off quite good. I liked the main character and her spunky don't take no crap from anyone attitude. The haunted house set up was nice and creepy. Then it rapidly decended into stupidness and lame horror movie stuff. A paranormal element throne in with some freaky witches and witch hunters.

(view spoiler)
Vanya Lazarevic
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the Red Bishop and its exploration of the supernatural. Lake Price may not be my favorite character, but she is humble, focused, and determined - this really contrasted with the typical feeble female character that exists in so many other novels. She focuses more on her brother than her 'love life' and that makes this theme more realistic. The way the author planted the new idea of witches eating hair was really potent because it was both original and unsettling. As I was readin ...more
Caroline
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Often when I read a book about witches it revolves around teenage girls finding out they are a witch and doing a spell to attract their crush or something similar. This book could not be any further from that. The witches in this book are genuinely scary, I mean, they eat hair!! EWW!
It focuses on a teenage girl, Lake Price whose brother Kimball went missing 4 years ago, she feels very numb in life and gets her thrills and escapism from scaring herself. At the start of the book, her and 3 friends
Daiane
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
* I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from Story Cartel*

This book is amazing inside and out. I honestly fell in love it. The cover is beautiful and so is the story. Readers who are into suspense/mystery/fantasy should definitely read this book! This book is also Young Adult genre. The thing that I like about this book is that the characters could be related to real life. I'm not really into the horror and creepiness in which some parts of the story include. However I have to say that the syno
Eliza-Ann
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for horror, 'The Red Bishop' has it in spades. The chilling threat of the hair-eating witches will keep you up at night, as Lake dives into the world of witch-killing warriors with her new-found powers.

Unfortunately for Lake, her friends and love interest(s) quickly devolve into a hot mess in this story, as the tension between them worsens the closer they get to defeating the witches. The end will leave you itching for a sequel as many of Lake's issues have been left unresolved
Christine J Randall
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The pace gradually escalated, becoming ever harder to find a place where you could put the book down for the night. I feel a couple of the more violent scenes might have been a bit prolonged, but they sure showed how our heroine has become a nasty piece of work - to witches, that is. The writing was packed with similes, but not in a bad way. I'm afraid I have the well-described witch doings engraved in my head, and I won't be sleeping in any basements - ever. The love triangle ...more
Levian
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lake was a girl who fed on the thrill of fear, something that made her different from her friends. she was a character so different that it was impossible not to love her. in search of her lost brother Kimball, Lake would do anything to have him back. the part where the book illustrated the image of witches eating children's hair was itself, a thrill for me. it was an idea so different that i found myself getting intrigued and got further absorbed into the story. the moment the adventure started ...more
Santiago
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The’ Red Bishop’ is an intriguing, fast-paced novel that is original and kept me turning the page. There were issues with the development of characters throughout the book. Lake, our main character, at some points during the novel came across as artificial however with further development of her character in a sequel; hopefully the reader gets more of an understanding of her personality. Overall I would recommend this to anyone who wants a good scare but who also wants a well-crafted story with ...more
Jess d'Artagnan
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Lake Price’s entire life changed when her brother, Kimball, disappeared. Since his disappearance Lake’s main goal was to get into dangerous situations that would help her forget about the pain his absence left behind. One evening, shortly before Thanksgiving, Lake and her friends decide to spend the night in a haunted house and they get way more than they bargained for. To read the rest of my review, click here! http://thewritereader.blogspot.com/20...
Nataliya Bernstein
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was very good and had a very interesting plot which I very much enjoyed. I liked how there was the switch between the historical times and then the modern. I'm looking forward to the next book!
Sasha Doytcheva
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Greg Boose is an outstanding, captivating author that kept me turning the page! I loved the suspense and the witches were originally crafted. Keep writing Greg! However, I would like to know - who does the main character end up with?
Kristin Bowker
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book! Actually creeped me out a bit which is saying a lot because I've read so much horror. From the ending it seems like there will be more to the story, can't wait to read the next one!!
Florence Huang
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I personally love this book ! From the suspense of the witches at each corner, this book is a real page turner! In the beginning, I would have never thought of reading this book because it is horror. But after reading this, this is hoestly one of the best books I have ever read!
Rylan Joenk
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Greg Boose is a talented and captivating writer that kept me on the edge of my seat! I loved the originally crafted characters. I enjoyed reading this book very much and I couldn't put it down! Can't wait for the next books!
Hanna
Jan 03, 2016
Jenifer Adams
Jan 14, 2016
Full Fathom Five ...: Which Witch is Which?! 1 5 Nov 05, 2014 01:09PM
The fourth of six kids, Greg Boose grew up on a large produce farm in northeast Ohio. He received his undergraduate degree from Miami University, and then later received his M.F.A. at Minnesota State University Moorhead where he focused on screenwriting and fiction.

Greg is the former Los Angeles and Chicago Editor for BlackBook Magazine, and his work has appeared on/in many magazines and websites,