Start by marking “One Last Song” as Want to Read:
One Last Song

One Last Song

I was seven when I swallowed my first needle.

My mom freaked out and rushed me to the emergency room.

She stayed by my side all night.

I never wanted it to end.

When you spend your whole life feeling invisible-when your parents care more about deals and deadlines than they do about you-you find ways of making people take notice. Little things at first. Then bigger. It's scary
Published January 13th 2015 by Forever Yours (first published May 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Last Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Last Song

Stacia (the 2010 club)
I'd always had a fascination with people who got sick the natural way. What would that be like? To wander around with a justified reason to be angry at the world?

I am the random documentary queen. If it has to do with cults, polygamy, doomsday preppers, extreme body modification, or even people who like to eat insects - I'm all over it. I like witnessing every day people living extraordinary lives, from the bizarre to the taboo.

Which means that it should come as no surprise how I'd be inter
La-Lionne
Uhm, no. I'm giving my two stars to the Hero of this story and some of the secondary characters, because the heroine was completely despicable.
description

Before you decide to chop my head off, let me explain. I get it, she has Munchausen Syndrome, you could say that it was her Syndrome talking and not her. I don't know much about it, but the way it was described in this book made it sound like some kind of Little Princess Syndrome or Attention Whore Syndrome. "Me, me me. Look at me, love me, adore me, fe
Anastasia
It is really hard to write a review for this book, because I honestly don't know how to feel about it. At parts I really liked it, but there were parts were I just wanted to stop reading it. I didn't, because this is one of those books were you just have to know how it is going to end.

Saylor is a lonely character. Her family doesn't pay attention to her, she also has no friends, except for her "tools" that she uses to hurt herself. She hurts herself for attention. She wants people to notice h
A. Bookzilla.
Here's a little disclaimer: for those who have dealt with or know someone with a terminal illness... you might want to pass this. I wish I didn't have to write this because I really, really loved this book to bits. Some of the things are just way too offensive to someone sensitive to these things. It's a character trait, Saylor is mentally ill, but it still might evoke some negative feelings.

That being said - oh my god, this book killed me.

I am not even kidding, I'm sitting here, writing this re
Ellen at Book Bellas
From the first line of this book, I can’t even begin to describe the emotions that this story made me feel. Repulsion, anger and deep sadness, but believe it or not, also laughter and hope. S.K. Falls is an amazingly gifted writer, and looks at the world through very twisted glasses. One Last Song was completely unexpected and will stay with me for a long, long time.

Saylor suffers from Munchausen Syndrome. She has a compulsion to make herself very ill. All of this is a very sad and desperate att
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Okay, okay, I'm waving the white flag. I give up at 37%. I'm sorry but this book is just not for me.

Do you get squeamish reading about a girl swallowing needles, eating fecal mater, and injecting herself with spit in order to get attention from a distant mother and an absentee father? No? Then I think you will love this book. Yes? Then stay the F away!

This book is about a girl with Munchausen Syndrome, which is basically creating sicknesses in order to get attention from family members and doc
Kirsty
Live on amazon!
US: http://www.amazon.com/Secret-for-a-So...
UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00D4...

Cath
May 17, 2013 Cath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really know how to review this. My heart hurt in places....and I thought the writing was really good. I will be honest and say I think the last few chapters could have been more....what's the word....emotional? I don't know.....just thought I would break down .... But I didn't. There were things I wanted answers to that I didn't get. What happened at the others in the group? Having said that I really felt moved by the writing and it is worth a read. X
Selly - Leggere Romanticamente
3 stelline e mezzo

Recensione sul blog ---> http://www.leggereromanticamente.com/...

Quando ho deciso di leggere questo libro mi immaginavo una storia ragazzi-malattia in stile “Colpa delle Stelle” con un finale strappalacrime assurdo, invece da quel punto di vista è andata meglio del previsto. Non aggiungerò altro sull'epilogo, ma visto che è una domanda che in molte mi avete posto, se siete tra le persone che amano i lieto fine potrebbe non andarvi poi così male, almeno per quello che penso i
Angigames
3 stelle e mezzo
È un libro sicuramente d’impatto questo della Falls, un libro che spinge il lettore a percorrere la strada dei disturbi mentali, spesso torbidi, difficili e subdoli, ma la genialità dell’autrice sta nel fatto che accompagna il disturbo mentale a malattie terminali. Detta così, potrebbe sembrare un disastro emotivo e patologico, invece la Falls spalanca la strada della vita, rendendo la malattia un punto di partenza su cui costruire una nuova strada tutta da percorrere.
Saylor ha
Tasha (faeriedrugs)
I'm unsure what to rate this book and I'm not even sure I WANT to rate it so for now I will leave it without a rating.
Despite me not rating this, I did enjoy the book. I think? Yes, I did enjoy it. But it also made me very uncomfortable. And this book deals with some very touchy subjects (like terminal illnesses for example) that I don't feel comfortable discussing as an able-bodied person.

Our main character Saylor is incredibly unlikable. She has Munchausen Syndrome which means she purposeful
Jacqueline's Reads
May 24, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

I wanted him, all of him, and I pretended that I belonged. It was the biggest lie I’d told up to that point, and for someone whose entire life was carved out of lies of different colors and shades and shapes, that was saying a lot.

4 Stars

WOW, if you liked Fault in Our Stars then you will love Secret For a Song.

First sentence… I ate my first needle when I was seven … yep I was hooked after that.

Saylor has Maunchausen disease, where she makes herself sick for attention. She has been doing thi
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Xpresso Book Tours for providing this book for review.

'But as long as my mother hurled those words at me, as long as she provoked emotion-any emotion- within me, I felt like I was home. I felt like I belonged.'

Usually, when I come read books with characters diagnosed with some sort of cancer, deficiency or mental issue, I turn out to rather enjoy the story. There's something so poignant and touching about them that linger in my mind for a long exp
Kat (Kindred Dreamheart)
My first thought on Secret for a Song were, "He’s terminally ill and she hurts herself for attention. If that ain’t dysfunctional I don’t know what is. Toxic relationship...ticking time bomb maybe. And yet, I’m really looking forward to reading this. This has a very different story line. Sounds like it may be a really good one." I was not disappointed!

Opening line: I ate my first needle when I was seven.

Saylor was a new type of YA character for me. I've been exposed to terminally ill and mental
Give Me Books
Jan 12, 2015 Give Me Books rated it it was amazing
Did you see that blurb? How can you read that and not want to click this one immediately?! And you know what, it's well worth it. I loved this book!

Saylor wants to die. Well, not really, but she likes the attention she gets when she's sick. It's the only time her parents notice she's there. She plots and plots how she can get sick. Swallowing a needle was just her first foray into her facetious disorder. Her shrink suggests maybe she should volunteer at the hospital. Well, the lightbulb goes off
Kirsty
Dec 31, 2014 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
There really are very few words that I can use to describe just how incredible this book was. It was so unique, I have definitely never read anything like it. I usually read books for the romance, I want a mind-blowing, earth shattering love with an incredible HAE. Did I get that in Secret for a Song? No. Did it matter? Absolutely not. This book is really not a romance. It's a story about pain, lies and deceit and ultimately overcoming all of that.

As you can see from the blurb, Saylor Garson is
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Actual rating: 3.5

If you've been following/reading my reviews for this past few months, you may know that I've been quite fascinated by mental illnesses recently. I've had this book on my Kindle for a while now, but only decided to read this after my recent fascination. I must say, it was a pretty great and interesting read.

Secret for a Song is about Saylor, who has Munchhausen's disease, meaning she deliberately makes herself sick in order to gain attention. Now I know this might sound really w
✿kawehi.reviews
"Secret For A Song" is not a light read. It's very deep and centers around heavy topics and issues.

Saylor, what a cool name btw, basically hurts herself to gain attention. How messed up is that?

She has no support system or foundation so she goes through extremes to try to receive love and care since deep down she's lonely and uncared for. I could really feel myself reeling for Saylor and her deep detachment from the one person who is supposed to love and care for her the most.

When she is mistake
Valery Tikappa
Purtroppo per la prima metá il libro non mi ha presa al 100%. Anzi, Saylor mi è sembrata profondamente immatura, e non tanto per la sindrome che ha quanto per lo più per l'atteggiamento che mantiene con chiunque. Si sente in diritto di criticare madre e padre (per caritá, criticabili al massimo) ma è come indicare la pagliuzza negli occhi degli altri e non rendersi contro della trave nel proprio occhio.
L'unica nota positiva, per la prima metá del romanzo, sono stati Drew e Zee, personaggi positi
Missy Johnson
May 17, 2013 Missy Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book.

I didn't really know what to expect, but this was a really great read for me. I liked all the characters (particularly Drew...sigh), and though Saylor's immaturity got on my nerves at times I understood why she was the way she was.

My only gripe was the ending, because I wanted more closure with her and Drew.
Sleepless in Chicago
I was a puddle of tears at the end of this book. I felt for Saylor, I felt for Drew, hell, I even felt for Saylor's Mom who could be viewed as a heartless bitch.

"People with fictitious disorders, of which Munchausen is the severest, don't actually want to die. What we're looking for is to establish an identity, to hopefully find sympathy or love or whatever in the eyes of our loved ones."

Saylor has Munchausen Syndrome, meaning she makes herself sick. She'll take more Tylenol pills than what is s
Patrycja
May 29, 2013 Patrycja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Fault in our Stars
Recommended to Patrycja by: myself

Secret for a Song it's first book by S.K Falls I've ever read, so I can honestly say I didn't have any idea what to expect. I only knew that blurb looked interesting in 'out-of-the-moon' way. I mean I have never heard about people who like to be sick and are hurting themselves in this way. After reading the premise I thought I have to read it. Period. I'm very curios creature so I always poke my nose in variety of situations and lots of them involve me reading books that are out of my comfort zo
Farah Hanani
When I started the first 10% of this book, I thought "This is the worst mistake of my life", but I stayed strong and continued on with the gross scenes and MY RESOLUTION WAS PAID. This was the BEST DECISION EVER! Because this, this masterpiece, need to be read by everyone.

I was so fascinated with the characters. Especially Saylor. It felt weird being in her head. Because for someone who would give anything not to feel pain, this girl I'm reading right now, would give anything to feel sick and p
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Such a unique premise, I have never read a book about Munchhausen's and didn't know much about it, so it was awesome to get into her head and experience a new perspective and learn about a mental illness.
I liked the friends she met from the support group, and even though I knew that things would collapse around her because of her lies and carefully constructed house of cards. I did want more of how she made herself sick and the emotions behind it but it was a good thing to get the emotions fr
Zoe and the Edge
May 26, 2013 Zoe and the Edge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zoe and the Edge by: Ari J Bookzilla
I liked feeling powerless and sick and diseased.

The plot is interesting no doubt about it but when Saylor starts doing horrible things to herself I seriously wondered if I could stomach through a whole book of self-harm. I was holding my breath, and wore a perpetual cringe on my face. It's ghastly. Fortunately, her experiences with the support group help her focus on other things besides hurting herself.
Saylor has so much emotional and mental torment, I felt exhausted reading about it. It was
Amber
Jul 04, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't what I was expecting, but exactly what I needed to read. One of the freshest voices I've read in some time with a completely original premise.

The heroine is troubled with a serious and long-lasting case of Munchausen syndrome. This is not glossed over in the slightest, and it makes for a compelling and sometimes unlikable character. She is self-aware enough to despise what she does, but that can't erase her very real mental illness.

The hero a very special, wonderful guy with a
Caroline
Jul 23, 2015 Caroline rated it it was ok
Well this was definitely not my best read. For the very beginning I knew I didn't like it but wanted to keep reading to see what would happen. All the things that happened in the first half and you didn't get to meet the hero who was drew until half way through. I liked drew and all his friends from the book and felt sorry for them for what was happening. at least some of the book made me smile xx
Bookish♥Sarah

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

Munchausen syndrome: a psychiatric factitious disorder wherein those affected feign disease, illness, or psychological trauma to draw attention, sympathy, or reassurance to themselves.

19-year-old Saylor Grayson has Munchausen syndrome. Ever since she can remember, she's embraced sickness and pain so that her parents would show her attention and dote on her. Swallowing needles. Injecting saliva into her body to gain infection. Ingesting ma
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
Esistono libri in grado di farti passare il tempo con un sorriso sul volto, quei libri che prendi fra le mani quando hai bisogno di svago, e Libri, come questo, che ti portano a riflettere sulla vita, a versare lacrime via via che le pagine si susseguono mentre nella tua testa cerchi di vedere le cose con una prospettiva diversa. Penso siano proprio questi ultimi che ti portano a crescere, a maturare, quelle opere che, in qualche modo, ti fanno rivivere
May 17, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Patchwork Press and Netgalley.)
19-year-old Saylor has just been pulled out of university by her parents, for making herself ill again.

Saylor has Munchausen’s disease, which means that she intentionally makes herself sick to get attention It started when she was seven, and she’s been doing it ever since - swallowing needles, poisoning herself, taking large doses of laxatives, and even eating poo to make
  • Heart Breaths
  • Addicted to You
  • On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • Crossing (Open Door Love Story, #1)
  • Waiting for the Storm (Angel Island, #1)
  • There are Reasons Noah Packed No Clothes
  • Friday Night Alibi
  • Paint Me Beautiful (A Duet, #1)
  • Severed Stone (Souls of the Stones, #0.5)
  • Twigs
  • Positively Mine (Freshman Forty, #1)
  • Surviving Love (Sulfur Heights, #4)
  • Burning
  • Stages of Grace
  • 4 to 16 Characters
  • Rouge (Cheveux Roux, #1)
  • Levitating Las Vegas
  • Love Exactly
A huge fan of spooky stuff and shoes, S.K. Falls enjoys alternately hitting up the outlet malls and historic graveyards in Charleston, SC where she lives and imbibes coffee. Her husband and two small children seem not to mind when she hastily scribbles novel lines on stray limbs in the absence of notepads.

Since no writer’s biography is complete without mention of her menagerie of animals, you shou
More about S.K. Falls...

“Ehi". Aprii gli occhi e vidi la sua testa abbassata verso la mia. "Stai bene?"
Scacciai in fretta le lacrime. "Sì, sto bene."
"Io ti sono al fianco, Greyson" disse, baciandomi la fronte con dolcezza.
Ti sono al fianco. Non avevo mai sentito parole tanto belle.”
0 likes