Jump to ratings and reviews

Judging a Book by Its Cover

Agonizingly shy Emory North has his life mapped out for him: finish his business degree, go to work for his father, and one day take over as CEO of North Star Publishing. More at home amongst stacks of books, Emory has little to no interest in his lot as ‘North Jr.’, but has never had the courage to follow his true passion—writing.

Brash and ballsy Bryce Palmer, editor-in-chief of ECLIPSE magazine is known for bedding and discarding PAs like yesterday’s newspaper. He’s up against a serious deadline and down two staff members. And the last thing he has time for is babysitting the spoiled rich son of a CEO. But when Pierce Barclay North insists now is the time for his heir apparent to get his feet wet in the company waters, Palmer’s hands are tied.

But looks can be deceiving. And, sometimes, passion can spark in the most unlikely of places…

37 pages, ebook

First published October 20, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

L.D. Blakeley

15 books133 followers
A pragmatist with a romantic soul & a dirty mind, L.D. is a fan of horror movies, hot sex, and Happily Ever Afters. Easily distracted by shiny things, she's a slightly neurotic, highly ambitious dreamer who enjoys dabbling in photography & pretending she can carry a tune.

In another life, L.D. was a newspaper reporter, an entertainment & music writer, travel writer, website content editor, and a marketing shill. Now she prefers to spend her time writing hot, steamy fiction with a healthy dose of romance.
can carry a tune.

Although she dreams of living some place isolated with an endless supply of wine and an infinite number of titles on her eReader, she currently lives in downtown Toronto with her husband and their rock star cat.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (11%)
1 star
2 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for Sandra .
1,674 reviews308 followers
November 21, 2014
My biggest complaint about this book is that it was too short. Too short to allow for organic character development, too short to make me believe in the romance, and too short for Emory to develop the backbone he exhibited in the end.

I liked the characters, and I liked the message that things aren't what they seem, and that it's okay to pursue your dreams.

Unfortunately, while this could have been a four or more star read, there wasn't enough time to get into the story, connect with the characters, before it was over.

The author did a great job setting the scene and circumstances, in as few words as possible. Both Emory and Bryce make some assumptions that are proven wrong, and both learn that first impressions and rumors aren't what makes a man.

There were some great moments in this novella that left me wanting for more, and I hope that the next book by this author takes a bit more time developing the characters and thus the relationship between them.

Why three stars after all? Because as short as it was, I did enjoy reading it. And I think so will you.

If you like shorts that are hot and also send a message, this book is for you.

** I received a free copy of this book from its author. A positive review was not promised in return. **
Profile Image for Serena Yates.
Author 95 books768 followers
July 26, 2015
What a fun story! There is something about shy bookworms realizing their potential that I really like, and with Emory North as main character going from painfully shy and hesitant to… finding his voice was wonderfully entertaining and emotionally satisfying. His very gruff and socially extremely adept temporary boss Bryce was a wonderful counterweight and made me laugh more than once. The story has great energy, flows really well, and is full of little moments I enjoyed. It is definitely one of the better office romances I have read to date.

Emory is a bookworm. He prefers not to deal with people, and he has a wonderful secret that doesn’t emerge until the very end, so I am not going to tell you what it is. Unfortunately his father is the well-known and powerful CEO of North Star Publishing, and he expects Emory to follow in his footsteps. Emory, being as shy as he is, has yet to find enough courage to speak up and tell his father he has no intention to go work for the family empire once he graduates. And since Emory has done nothing to inform his father about his plans, he ends up as a temporary PA replacement to the brash editor-in-chief of one of his father’s magazines. Emory has a whole lot of thinking and standing up to do if he wants to survive this.

Bryce has a reputation for sleeping with his PA’s – but only once. He has left a trail of “discarded” PAs behind him, but he couldn’t care less because he has a deadline for the next issue of ECLIPSE magazine. Two members of his team are missing, and his latest PA, as incompetent as the rest of them, has just left. And now he is saddled with what he thinks is the CEO’s spoiled son, who is so shy he can’t even complete a sentence. Nobody is more surprised than Bryce when things don’t quite turn out as he fears…

If you like a little – or a lot – of humor with your story, if an office romance between two very unlikely partners appeals, and if you’re looking for a fast-paced read that is as sweet and sexy as it is wonderfully fairy-tale-like, then you will probably enjoy this short story.

NOTE: This book was provided by Evernight Publishing for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews.
Profile Image for Morgan  Skye.
2,784 reviews26 followers
November 16, 2014
review http://thebloggergirls.com/2014/11/01...

Emory is super shy, the boss’s son, forced to be a PA to the company playboy. Bryce has a bad reputation as a sex-hound, and he’s hard to work for. He goes through PAs faster than they can be replaced, thus the need for Emory to step in to help.
When Emory is forced to accompany Bryce to a black tie dinner, he gets drunk, and Bryce gets a peek at the real Emory. He likes it… a lot.
In addition to finding out Emory is a great kisser, he also finds out Emory is a great writer.
Together they thwart Emory’s dad and his plans to force Emory into a job Emory hates and together they begin a relationship.
MAN! I wish this were a full length novel. It was sooooo good! I loved Emory and Bryce together. Emory manages to overcome his shyness in a way that is believable and though the romance is rushed (37 pages isn’t much time) it felt somewhat organic and plausible.
LD Blakely did a great job setting the scene and I only wish we could have spent more time developing their attraction and the culmination of that attraction, as well. Of course, that’s the bane of many short stories (IMHO). However, I will say that the brevity didn’t force the story to go terribly off track. I thought it was a fully developed, complete story arc and I really enjoyed it. I’d have given it a 5, though, if it was longer ;)
Profile Image for Ro.
3,003 reviews16 followers
November 6, 2014
First off – I loved the dedication to this book. Second, the main character, Emory North, is the only son of a very high-powered, controlling, uber-wealthy man and as such is expected to act the way his father wants him to. And for the most part, Emory tries. But he’s just not a people person. He loves books. “Books never made him feel like he was somehow lacking.” I hear that, Emory.

When his father mandates Emory is going to be the fill in personal assistant for one Bryce Palmer, PA-killer, maneater and all around bad news, Emory is horrified. And terrified, because now what?

Because the book is short, there’s not a ton of time for the two to connect but what’s here is lovely. As always, things aren’t what they seem and Emory and Bryce both make some assumptions about the other that have to be rectified. Hartley? Well, hopefully someday he gets what’s coming to his.

The ending is a little “fairy tale” but Emory is a really sweet guy and so I was happy for him.
Profile Image for Maria.
489 reviews
November 27, 2021
4 stars

I so wish that this story had been longer! I would have loved to see a more detailed evolution of Emory’s character. From the stuttering shy guy, to the one who stands up to his father and says what he wants.

Overall, quite enjoyable but too short!
Profile Image for Cocktails and Books.
4,065 reviews313 followers
November 15, 2014
This book was exactly what I needed last night. Short, to the point, and incredibly sexy.

Emory's painful shyness made him absolutely adorable, and watching Bryce's stern manner melt away, after an...interesting...night at a party, had me smiling a mile wide. And the sex? WHEW! I have a new respect for desks :-)

As I said, it is a short story. I read it in less than an hour, but it was incredibly satisfying. If you like your Manlove hot but sweet, "Judging a Book By It's Cover" is perfect for you. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed by Kenna for Cocktails and Books

Profile Image for mah1.
458 reviews
May 15, 2016
After a promising set up of both plot and characters, this story took a wrong turn. Instead of sexual tension there was too much backround information and added details that had no impact on the events.

The MCs were intriguing, and this was one of the few cases were someone who was told to be shy, acted like a shy person, so kudos for that. Unfortunately not much else stood out in a positive way.

Also, i personally associate the word gawd with teenagers.
Profile Image for Laura.
176 reviews16 followers
April 25, 2015
Well as many have said the book needed more pages to allow the characters to develop their story. It felt a bit rushed. How come a extremely shy guy suddenly speak up his mind??!!
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.