Start by marking “Heart of Petra (Breaking Bonds #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Petra (Breaking Bonds #2)

Heart of Petra (Breaking Bonds #2)

She longed for adventure…the safe kind.

Twenty-year-old Leah Petra Jones calls out to God for an adventure, something more than life as the dutiful daughter of a worship pastor.

Only, in a church filled with secrets, adventure already waits.

At first sign of risk she reneges—but it’s too late. A handsome intern pastor helps the church transition right into a scheme where

Published October 22nd 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Petra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Petra

Bianca
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review.*

4.5 rating

Woah, I’m still trying to adjust my mind to what I just read. This book has to be one of the most honest novels written by a Christian. I mean, a novel on lukewarm Christians and the problems that occur at churches? Who writes about that in this genre anymore, right?

I sent a message to the author expressing my willingness to read her book and I’m so glad I did. And I’m so glad I read this novel. I don’t want to discuss th
Melanie
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Holy crap. Holy crap. What did I just read?! Never in my life did I imagine….

Okay, let me just chill out for a sec here. Wow. What a read. This is the first Christian fiction book I’ve ever read (yes, ever), and the last thing I imagined is for the things that happened to happen. I finished the rest of it last night at, like, 4am. Hilarey Johnson, I believe you owe me some sleep. Thanks.

Okay, but really. This book was a solid 3-4 stars for me towards the beginning. Mostly because it was unevent
Hilarey Johnson
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I’m not a huge fan of series — and I never intended to write one. But the sweet girl whose parents refused to help Sparrow (Sovereign Ground Breaking Bonds Book 1) kept talking to me. I could not get her voice out of my head — she was so jaded and kept saying everything her parents had told her was a lie.

At the time, someone had shared a video with me about girls who had chosen to let their parents, their father specifically, choose a husband for them.

My children were still home-schooled and we
Lydia Thomas
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I give Heart of Petra by Hilarey Johnson 4.5 out of 5 stars.

One of the themes (for lack of a better word) in my life over the past month or so is seeking, encountering, and knowing God, so I’m not surprised I identified so much with Leah Petra Jones, the main character in this suspense novel by Hilarey Johnson.

Like all good formerly-homeschooled girls, Leah lives and works at home, under her father’s spiritual covering, waiting for a husband. Even though she leads worship with her parents, she f
Lisa Hess
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Heart of Petra is a perfect addition to Hilarey Johnson's Breaking Bonds Series, a story about a girl trapped inside a dysfunctional church family, not like that ever happens in real life...

As with Sparrow from Sovereign Ground, Johnson has created in Petra a fascinating, unique character, and yet she's a girl I could still relate to. Through her eyes, Heart of Petra takes us on a suspenseful, page-turning journey of a Church community losing its way, and how Petra, in the midst of it, struggle
Peggy Goodman
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Petra wants to go out and see the world, but her parents won’t allow it. They are waiting for her to make a good marriage and raise a family. How does she know what God’s will is for her life: her desires or those of her parents?

The author does a fine job of describing how a Preacher’s Kid might react to the hypocrisy of a preacher’s public image vs. his behavior in private life. (Although Leah is actually calmer than many PKs in real life.) And the Christianity preached at the church is certai
Holly Smit
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A delectable ride with a character who blooms despite her surroundings. The plot was tight, resonant. More than once I finished a chapter with chills down my back. While I personally gravitate toward more action-adventure plots, this one was enticing enough with its mix of mystery and shame and slowly dawning freedom that I blitzed through the book in two days. Who woulda thought a church split story would be a page turner? Wow! Johnson writes with a candid, unobtrusive voice that reveals her fu ...more
Lauren Beauchamp
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I loved Leah from the first book and I was thrilled to see that she got her own book. As with the first, I was up until early the next morning finishing. This book was just so . . . HONEST. Even though I'm not a preacher's kid, I could relate to Leah and the problems in her life. The church culture described is a very real thing, and something that Christian fiction tends to ignore in favor of stereotypical perfect congregations with perfect pastors.

I'm already eagerly awaiting the next
Jessica Howie
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You've done it again! Keeping me up till 3am night after night, because I can't put your book down! You've managed to write another incredibly intriguing and spiritually suspenseful story. Love the series. Love the contrast with the first one, yet similar and entwined. Such a truthful and revealing look into areas of life and the church we want to ignore. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Erin
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Hilarey Johnson's first book, Sovereign Ground, and was anticipating this next release. It did not disappoint! Johnson has a fresh voice and a keen sense for developing character amidst suspense. I loved the plot twists and Johnson's willingness to create a flawed heroine with real struggles, and a counterpart hero who doesn't come out of the standard perfect size and shape hero mold. Bravo.
Caprice
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not exactly what I expected. It's told from the POV of a 20 year old young woman who has been raised in a very strict and dogmatic religious family. As she attempts to stretch her wings and fly, she finds that her parents, particularly her father, wants to make decisions for her and more than anything he wants her to marry the new pastor of their church, even though no one really knows much about him. The longer the new pastor is at the church and the more changes he and Petra's fat ...more
Bekah Lynn
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved how you could read this from another perspective, how it shows the side of the character that is the "good girl" who isn't as perfect as she seems. I LOVE how it's written, it's one of the best written book I've read! I love how the character is so easy to relate to, these are things we all need to be aware of, life isn't marshmallows and kittens.
Gayle Holton
Donna Pincince
Dec 14, 2017
Heather
Nov 08, 2014
Christian Book Gi...: Goodreads Giveaway -- Heart of Petra 1 9 Nov 13, 2014 12:37PM