Start by marking “Through the Fire (Daughter of Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Through the Fire (Daughter of Fire, #1)

Through the Fire (Daughter of Fire #1)

Life could have been different for Evie Meyers. If only she wasn’t a freak.

She wouldn’t be hiding from the Rain, a secret organization intent on destroying all supernatural creatures. Neither would she have run from Clay, the object of her desire.

Her hope for love and a normal life shattered when Clay stumbled onto her biggest secret and revealed one of his own in the pro
Published October 31st 2014 by Bottom Drawer Publications

To ask other readers questions about Through the Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Fire

Mike Robbins
Dec 09, 2014 Mike Robbins rated it really liked it
Evie is a teenager with a problem. She fancies Clay, a boy at school, and he wants her. But when she kisses him, he recoils in horror.

“How can you walk around and just pretend you’re normal? You sicken me! You and all of your kind.”
“My kind?” I asked. “What does that even mean?”
“Non-human filth,” he growled.

Wow. That was definitely a bad date. And when she gets home, Evie extracts a confession from her father; she looks, acts and feels like she’s human, but he’s always known she isn’t. She is, i
Chance Maree
Nov 29, 2014 Chance Maree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
3.5 Stars

The story revolves around Evie, a young woman who had been sheltered from danger by a protective father who withheld information as to her heritage. She learns on her own, through a kiss--that primal precursor to grownup sex--she is different than the average human. Evie has a highly combustive nature. After some teenage angst, she forgives her father his deception, and, as is usual with this stage of human development, she decides she is wiser than him in just about everything. Poor da
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Jan 24, 2016 Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon rated it it was amazing

***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

This book grabs you from page one and doesn't let go! Love that the author uses such a visual and nasal based opening to really set the reader in the story. Magnolias are a unique scent and distinct flower it is hard not to be captured by the scene.

This page turning paranormal romance had me routing for these star crossed lovers. I love that the author makes the characters have real reactions as they try to survive on the run from secret societies bent on killing all t
Jacky
Oct 25, 2014 Jacky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adult readers of all kinds
Recommended to Jacky by: Michelle Irwin Author
Now that the book as been released I can add to my review and remove the spoiler alert. I was introduced to Evie who was a naive teenage girl who was unaware of her heritage who falls for a boy who is also unaware of her heritage but who is very aware of his. What happens next throws Evie into a world she never knew about with lots of turmoil and hope. Evie is awakened to her heritage and what that means for her life and the love she feels for Clay.

Although this is of the genre Paranormal Romanc
Kristy
Oct 23, 2014 Kristy rated it it was amazing
I received this book from a contest, I'm so glad I stumbled apon this contest & won.... As a new author to me I wasn't sure what to expect but man... WOW this is better!!! This is Michelle's first book in the 'Daughter of Fire' series & it hits you with a bang!

Michelle has wrote an intense book, full of discovery & growth. We follow Evie on her journey filled with love, pain, tears & death, and come out at the end wanting more (best part of any book, in my opinion).

I wasn't dis
Declarations of a Fangirl
You can find this review and more like it on my blog, Declarations of a Fangirl.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was pitched to me as Romeo and Juliet meets Supernatural. I'm a sucker for forbidden romance but the potential of a Supernatural vibe sent me over the edge, and I just had to read this book.

description

So here's the nitty gritty. We've got Evie, nineteen years old and not human. She's got unusual red and violet eyes. She always seems to be running a feve
Hailey
Oct 30, 2014 Hailey rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of a Facebook contest. I am so excited that I did. I loved this book. Evie is such a wonderful person. You can "see" her grow up as the book progresses. She has such a love for Clay. First love at its finest. This is a story of what happens when everything you have been taught is challenges. Do you side with family or tradition. Is the world full of evil as you have been taught with one exception, or is how you are born make you inherently evil? Evie travels a diffic ...more
Romance Between The Sheets
Please note this review may contain spoilers.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I liked it. A lot. I spent my whole Sunday reading it. I want book 2. NOW!!!

Through the Fire is the story of Evie & Clay and spans several years. It starts with Evie arriving home to discover flowers at her front door. She knows who sent them and what they symbolise: he's found her. This starts a series of flashbacks which explain the relationship between her and Clay and how she got
multitaskingmomma
Nov 22, 2014 multitaskingmomma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fantasy, new-adult
Original Blog Post: Blog Tour, Spotlight, eARC Review: Through the Fire by Michelle Irwin

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Michelle Irwin puts forward an interesting proposition with Through the Fire. What if mythology was skewed and what we understand as flaming birds or phoenix weren't birds at all, but people? And instead of being imaginary and extinct actually continue to exist in our world today?

Evie never really understood who she was; she only knows that she and her father have been fugitives
SydneyGen
Oct 28, 2014 SydneyGen rated it really liked it
Hopelessly Devoted
Oct 25, 2014 Hopelessly Devoted rated it it was amazing
4.5*
This is the story of Evie, a young girl struggling with the realisation that she is different, that the world is no longer safe, that there are people willing to hunt her and hurt her because of those differences. That there are people willing to kill her family and hurt anyone who cares about her.
She first met Clay when she was truly innocent and unaware of those differences to any real degree. Their love is forbidden and yet unstoppable.
Irwin has hit upon something truly magical here! she'
Siobhan Mccarthy
Nov 07, 2014 Siobhan Mccarthy rated it it was amazing
Through the Fire begins with us meeting Evie, a seemingly normal high school student who lives with her dad. Evie and her dad move around a lot and their latest move has resulted in Evie meeting Clay.

Evie, with "help" from Clay discovers that she isn't as normal as she once believed and finds herself on the run from Clay and a powerful organisation who want the earth rid of anything not 100% human.

Kat
Oct 23, 2014 Kat rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA readers /Paranormal readers
Recommended to Kat by: Publisher
*I received a copy of this book from the publishers in exchange for an honest review*

I give this book 5 stars, I was contemplating taking half a star off because I really wish that the cover had been more like the description of Evie, Michelle describes her vividly and my imagination of her is so much better than the book cover... ok thats the 'What I didn't like' part over!

What I loved .... EVERYTHING ELSE!

from the first page you are drawn into a world where the paranormal are hunted (unfortuna
Bruce
Nov 28, 2014 Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through the Fire, by Michelle Irwin, is a young/new adult fantasy romance mix. It gives a first person account of our main character, and all the things she discovers—what she is, who she loves, as well as her struggles and losses along the way. It’s Book 1 of Daughter of the Fire Series, bringing a fast-paced and action filled enjoyable romp to what looks like a very promising series.

Although this is not my normal book of choice, I absolutely loved it. Irwin deftly creates the modern real world
Melissa Joseph (Book Addicts Reviews)
Great book!! Kept me reeled in!
Evelyn is an "other". I won't tell you what I will let you read that but I honestly love what she is. My heart breaks for Evelyn. She loses her mother before she even knows her and now her father just wants to keep her alive. So they must always be on the run. Then she finds a boy who just lights her world up. Problem is he is the exact opposite of what is good for her (think every girl has had one of those ..ha). And not only is he wrong for her but when he figure
Reesa
Oct 24, 2014 Reesa rated it really liked it
Through the Fire
Michelle Irwin
I would consider this a YA book and I usually don’t read them because of the ‘teenage drama’. I am glad that I did read it as it was so beautifully written. From the first page I was caught up in the story. Who was Evie? What was Evie? Will R.A.I.N. and their hatred catch her? I had to keep reading to find out.
The character development was fantastic and had me wanting to reach out and just show Evie that someone was there for her. Ms. Irwin writes extremely well and
Jenny Schwartz
Jan 05, 2015 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing
"Through the Fire" is an intriguing New Adult paranormal romance. It has the wistfulness of a road trip in a country ballad, but there's a lot happening in it. This is a journey into adulthood, with a lot of complications.

Love and heartbreak are sensitively handled.

An abundance of imagination creates a unique story.

The effective use of first person narrative (something that I'm not always keen on) draws you into the story.

An intriguing start to a new series.

*Disclaimer: Michelle Irwin and I are
Christy
Jan 09, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a tragic life this young girl has had. But each obsticle makes her stronger. Being in hiding her whole life and rejected by almost everyone. You can feel her pain and her love.I can not imagine feeling that alone with no place to go and being hunted. I Really enjoyed reading this story and look forward to reading part 2.
Diary of a Book Addict
Jan 18, 2015 Diary of a Book Addict rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-sib

Two years later, life on the run has not been much fun for Evie when Clay reappears in her life. Th
Demelza Carlton
Apr 21, 2015 Demelza Carlton rated it it was amazing
"What are you?"

An intriguing tale about a creature seldom found, even in paranormal fiction. Ms Irwin lays the scene for Evie's story in a life spent on the run, with a combination of flashbacks and the present. I admit I found that bit jarring, but it also reminded me of I Am Number Four, and the rest of the Lorien Legacies series, though this is firmly a new adult book and not a young adult one. And jarring it may be...but it took us right into the action with Clay and Evie.

This is more than
Dawn Brazil
Jan 03, 2015 Dawn Brazil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! If you think your life sucks, met Evie Meyers..

This book seriously hit on so many elements that I love when reading. There was the obvious fantasy elements. Which Michelle does not dive right into. As the reader, you understand from her lifestyle that there is an underlying cause that is not "natural" but she weaves the actual revelation into the story. Brilliant! There is a portion of the book that is pleasantly more fantastical than other parts, mostly in the middle, and I enjoyed th
Candy Box
Aug 26, 2016 Candy Box rated it it was amazing
I generally do not read books like this so it was definitely a blind date book and guess what I absolutely loved it and can't wait to get my hands on the other 3 in the series.
Evie and Clay is literally the couple that can not be together in any way shape form or fashion. The way he was raised screams no at the very beginning. Evie is clueless as to why and begins grilling her father only to find out something very deep and secret information that puts her life at serious risk. Running was all t
Ashley Marie
Dec 20, 2014 Ashley Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy in a Facebook contest and I'm so happy I did. It sucks you in from the first page. I LOVE Evie. She's so sweet and innocent, even after everything she's been through. And she goes through A LOT. And I can't help but feel for her. She's a Phoenix. (Which is awesome, never read a book like this before)And because of that she has to 'live' her life on the run because a group called the rain are set out to kill anyone not human. But that's no life constantly on the run. And she just so ...more
Karen Fields
Jan 27, 2015 Karen Fields rated it really liked it
Through the Fire is a tale that takes place over a couple of years. The main character is a young girl, Evie, with unusual powers, and her star-crossed love, Clay, is from a clan sworn to eliminate all of her kind from the world.

Throughout the novel, Evie and her father run from the group that is after them, and from time to time Evie and run into one another and their romance continues to bloom.

The story is compelling and well written. Evie is a very sympathetic character and you find yourself
Kate Bonham
Jan 29, 2015 Kate Bonham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing, provoking, thrilling. Michelle has a way of putting words together to pull you into a world of desire and wonderment.

Since picking the book up, I couldn't put it down. Evie is a headstrong girl with a love that she holds paramount. Clay is bound by duty but his attraction to Evie overshadows his loyalty and it leads them through a torrent of situations that pulls at your heartstrings and makes you scream out 'WHY?!' on a train loaded full of commuters.

Absolutely adored this story a
Linda
Jan 17, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Loved every bit of this book and can't wait for the rest of the series, I'm hooked!
Kimberly Anne ~ Reviews From The Heart
This is the first book in the Daughter of Fire series and this is one of the best paranormal stories

I’ve read in quite a while! This author offers such a unique and refreshing perspective on the paranormal

genre that I’m officially a huge new fan of hers. I’ve just finished reading this book and not only could I

literally not put it down until I’d finished reading the entire story, but now I absolutely must read the

next book in this series in order to find out what happens next. I usually with
Alison
Aug 18, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!!!

I was given this book in turn for an honest review!!!

Evie lived a life on the run; little did she expect the boy she was falling in love with would be both her sanctuary and her worst nightmare. Can Evie and her father stay hidden? Will Clay and Evie find a way to survive hidden together? Or will Clay’s family strike?

Through the Fire is captivating, and enthralling from the moment you start; I truly found it hard to put this book down. This book is packed full of action, suspense and
Dawn Yacovetta
Aug 18, 2016 Dawn Yacovetta rated it it was amazing
Once again, I've found another phenomenal read outside my normal purview. I took a chance on an author new to me in a genre that I don't always read, and found an emotional roller-coaster story that begins innocently enough. Being a teenager is a difficult enough feat to survive, but to be picked on at each turn by the twin of your school-girl crush is beyond heartrending. Of course, it doesn't end there. Evie is told that there's something seriously wrong with her, and is crushed and shocked to ...more
Donna Parrott
Aug 28, 2016 Donna Parrott rated it it was amazing
This author offers such a unique perspective on the paranormal genre. Its kind of refreshing to tead a new outlook on the genre. I would recommend this whole series and the author to everyone. You will defintely need to get the next book to find out what happens next. Evil is a young woman who has had her entire world turned completely upside down after she discovers something pretty important about herself. This shocking discovery sends her entire life into a constant state of turmoil from that ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
J.A. Kenney Offic...: Review of THROUGH THE FIRE! 1 8 Nov 24, 2014 06:02AM
  • Red Moon (The Sinclair Pack #1)
  • Mind Raider (The Anomaly #2)
  • Running in the Dark
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): Episode 2 (Dark Child, #1.2)
  • Silver Strife (Immortal Quicksilver #1)
  • Nobody's Angel (Earth Angels, #1)
  • Magical Gains
  • Against the Ropes
  • Cutting Out
  • The Groom (Altar-ed Destinies, #2)
  • See You in Hell (Mel Goes to Hell, #2)
  • One Bite Leads To Another
  • Winter of the Passion Flower
  • The Darkling Lord (Court of Annwyn, #4)
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Gather the Bones
  • Allegra Fairweather (Allegra Fairweather Mystery #1)
Michelle Irwin has been many things in her life: a hobbit taking a precious item to a fiery mountain; a young child stepping through the back of a wardrobe into another land; the last human stranded not-quite-alone in space three million years in the future; a young girl willing to fight for the love of a vampire; and a time-travelling madman in a box. She achieved all of these feats and many more ...more
More about Michelle Irwin...

Daughter of Fire (4 books)
  • Rise from Ash (Daughter of Fire #2)
  • Into the Rain (Daughter of Fire, #3)
  • Igniting the Spark (Daughter of Fire, #4)