Jump to ratings and reviews

Daughter of Fire #1

Through the Fire

Life could have been different for Evie Meyers. If only she wasn’t a freak.

She wouldn’t be hiding from the Rain, a secret organization intent on destroying all supernatural creatures. Neither would she have run from Clay, the object of her desire.

Her hope for love and a normal life shattered when Clay stumbled onto her biggest secret and revealed one of his own in the process—he’s a soldier for the Rain. Learning that Clay was a threat to her survival, Evie had no choice but to flee.

Now Clay’s back—battle-scarred and mysterious—and the attraction between them is undeniable. Stuck on opposite sides in the war between humans and the supernatural, there seems little hope for a happily ever after. Caught between what her heart wants and what her head knows, something has to give. What will she choose? And what price will she have to pay?

224 pages, Paperback

First published October 31, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Michelle Irwin

41 books437 followers
Purveyor of words. Creator of worlds. Destroyer of feels.

Once upon a time, Michelle worked in a dreary office with only the voices in her head for company. Now, the voices in her head are characters on the page who will break your heart, lift your spirit, and make you feel like you have found new friends.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (5%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 67 reviews
Profile Image for Mike Robbins.
Author 9 books217 followers
December 10, 2014
Evie is a teenager with a problem. She fancies Clay, a boy at school, and he wants her. But when she kisses him, he recoils in horror.

“How can you walk around and just pretend you’re normal? You sicken me! You and all of your kind.”
“My kind?” I asked. “What does that even mean?”
“Non-human filth,” he growled.

Wow. That was definitely a bad date. And when she gets home, Evie extracts a confession from her father; she looks, acts and feels like she’s human, but he’s always known she isn’t. She is, in fact, an ancient, mythical creature. So was her mother, and because of that she was murdered by a sinister secret group called the Rain, equally ancient warriors whose task it is to hunt down the non-human and uncanny and destroy them. Worse, it turns out that Clay is a hereditary member of the Rain. Evie and her father flee. But he finds them.

As for what creature Evie actually is, and whether Clay and his kind get her in the end, best not to say; that would spoil the story. Which would be a pity, because Michelle Irwin’s Through the Fire is well worth reading. It’s mainly a book for young adults (the YA genre) but the emphasis is on the adult bit; there’s a bit of sex in here, and some quite frightening scenes. Anyway, older readers will enjoy this too (I did and I’m quite an old adult). I guess the book also fits into the fantasy genre. There’s a lot published in both genres now, and not all of it is good, but this is a cut above the average. Making Evie a mythical creature instead of an alien is a good idea; Evie is oddly believable from the start. Through the Fire is also a genuine thriller, well-paced and sometimes very tense.

The story does slip a bit halfway through, when Evie, on the run, meets other “others”, or non-humans. Up to that point, Irwin does a very good job of making Evie and her story feel real, despite the fantasy element. The new “others” are just a bit too fantastical, making it harder to suspend disbelief. This part of the plot passes and Evie is out on her own again, and the book does recover, but that was a chunk of the story that could have been removed without losing anything; it’s the main reason I’ve given this four stars rather than five. Also, earlier in the book, the reason for the Rain’s existence isn’t established quite well enough. The love scenes went on a little long for me, slowing down the plot. There are one or two other things that could have been done better.

Even so, this is a good fantasy thriller. The two main characters are real. Not only does Evie herself work; Clay, in particular, is struggling with the conflict between his love for Evie and his mission to destroy her. And the book does raise some deeper questions. Why would some creatures be “others” when we regard most animals as harmless? Irwin seems to have tapped into the “uncanny valley” theory – that something that looks like a human but somehow isn’t will freak us out. Also, because the story is told from the point of view of the “other”, and her emotions clearly are very human, the book also feels like an argument for tolerance.

Last but not least, Through the Fire is rather well-written, in direct, elegant English. It’s also nicely produced, with good and appropriate cover art and a refreshing absence of typos and misspellings. Perhaps this shouldn’t matter, but it does – this book feels like a quality product from the first page, and it is. Apparently Irwin plans a sequel, too. Worth your time.

The author kindly supplied an e-book for review purposes.
Profile Image for Lisa Reads & Reviews.
427 reviews118 followers
December 4, 2014
3.5 Stars

The story revolves around Evie, a young woman who had been sheltered from danger by a protective father who withheld information as to her heritage. She learns on her own, through a kiss--that primal precursor to grownup sex--she is different than the average human. Evie has a highly combustive nature. After some teenage angst, she forgives her father his deception, and, as is usual with this stage of human development, she decides she is wiser than him in just about everything. Poor dad--all that work raising a child only to see it hell-bent on self destruction.

With a kick of hormones and love-at-first sight, Evie falls for the dangerous young man, Clay, whose family are killers of people with heritages such as Evie. Although Evie's mother was likely killed by Clay's family, Evie is hot for Clay anyway and they can't keep their hands off one another. Foreplay. Foreplay. Foreplay. Romeo and Juliet. Foreplay. This is a paranormal romance, so despite tragedy and death, lots of giggles and groping ensue.

Evie goes through a time learning that dad was right, but only after she loses everything. Thankfully, she becomes an adult, a phoenix rising from the ashes. Although the story stops there (it is first in a series), I can only imagine that the upcoming generation, too, will think they are wiser than Evie, and ignore any good council learned through her experience. Humans are silly that way.

The pace and writing were well done for a debut novel. The story met the standards of a YA/Paranormal Romance. Evie's heritage is unique, and fae were recast in a non-traditional way. I grew a bit tired of Evie's bed-hopping, but that is just personal taste. . So, my sympathy was generally with Clay more than Evie. The steamy scenes were a bit mechanical. Most jarring was when a lover 'sighed' into Evie's mouth, and a few pages later, if I remember correctly, he mumbled or muttered or somehow spoke into her mouth again. If they were having oral sex, I missed it. If they weren't, then I think the image is very odd. But that is just me.

In summary, this series shows enough legs to gather a fan base of YA/Paranormal Romance readers.

Profile Image for Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon.
2,087 reviews149 followers
August 2, 2016

***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

This book grabs you from page one and doesn't let go! Love that the author uses such a visual and nasal based opening to really set the reader in the story. Magnolias are a unique scent and distinct flower it is hard not to be captured by the scene.

This page turning paranormal romance had me routing for these star crossed lovers. I love that the author makes the characters have real reactions as they try to survive on the run from secret societies bent on killing all they don't understand.

A young girl, Evie, with a deadly secret moves into a small town in Ohio and meets a guy. He is funny and smart and cute, but he too has a secret. These two members of opposing factions find love under the magnolias. Will their love be strong enough to break the cycle of bigotry and hate Clay's family has been spewing to him his whole life? Will Evie be able to stay ahead of the murdering cult bend on her destruction?

The story is riddled with action, tragedy and suspense. The author does a brilliant job of entwining all the many interesting characters to build a cast of well round members who are many shade of gray. No one is completely innocent and no one is completely a monster.

The author tackles tough issues like racism, homelessness, depression and killing for what seems like a worthy cause. She makes sure to answer her readers' questions like the mindset of the characters. She helps the reader see, without being preachy, that monsters are not always evil and belief without knowledge can be deadly. I can't wait to read the other books in this series and the spinoff series from Clay's point of view as well.

Profile Image for Jacky.
96 reviews4 followers
November 2, 2014
Now that the book as been released I can add to my review and remove the spoiler alert. I was introduced to Evie who was a naive teenage girl who was unaware of her heritage who falls for a boy who is also unaware of her heritage but who is very aware of his. What happens next throws Evie into a world she never knew about with lots of turmoil and hope. Evie is awakened to her heritage and what that means for her life and the love she feels for Clay.

Although this is of the genre Paranormal Romance I would recommend it to all readers. This is from experience I don't normally read these types of books however on this one I am very glad I did. The worlds that this writer presents are very believable and you find yourself wanting to know more about Evie and Clay.

As I had an advance copy of the book prior to release date I won't do a proper review until the book is "officially" released. I normally never give a book 5 stars as I am of the opinion that nothing is totally amazing and everything can be improved however I am giving the book 4 Stars + 1 and the Author will know why.
Profile Image for Kristy.
680 reviews
January 19, 2015
I received this book from a contest, I'm so glad I stumbled apon this contest & won.... As a new author to me I wasn't sure what to expect but man... WOW this is better!!! This is Michelle's first book in the 'Daughter of Fire' series & it hits you with a bang!

Michelle has wrote an intense book, full of discovery & growth. We follow Evie on her journey filled with love, pain, tears & death, and come out at the end wanting more (best part of any book, in my opinion).

I wasn't dissapointed at all when I was reading (except for when I had to put my book down & enter reality again) I was lost in the world of Evie, with a hint of Clay.

Thank you for all your hard work & perspiration, you've done an AMAZING job. Bring on book 2 Michelle & surprise me with the next installment of this series.... I'll be waiting with bells on!!
Profile Image for Declarations of a Fangirl.
105 reviews17 followers
October 17, 2015
You can find this review and more like it on my blog, Declarations of a Fangirl.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was pitched to me as Romeo and Juliet meets Supernatural. I'm a sucker for forbidden romance but the potential of a Supernatural vibe sent me over the edge, and I just had to read this book.

description

So here's the nitty gritty. We've got Evie, nineteen years old and not human. She's got unusual red and violet eyes. She always seems to be running a fever.

description

She's spent her life on the run with her dad, hiding from a society of hunters called The Rain. I was lucky and didn't read any of the reviews that spoiled what Evie is, and so I won't do that to y'all either. Suffice to say though, she is oh so special.

description

And then there's Clay. *swoony face* Clay is a member of one of the most influential families of The Rain. It has been drilled into his head practically since birth that any creature that isn't human is a monster and needs to be eliminated. He battles with his feelings for Evie and the only way of life he has ever known. Plus, his family won't let him go without a fight.

description

This story was straight up crazy. There were so many twist and turns. Just when I thought I had figured out where the story was going, boom! It would change on me. I don't think I've ever rooted so fiercely for a fictional couple to be together. And when Evie and Clay finally "get together" (nudge nudge, wink wink), it was...phew.

description

The ending left me....emotional. I just. I can't. I have no words.

description
Profile Image for Hailey.
137 reviews13 followers
October 30, 2014
I received this book as part of a Facebook contest. I am so excited that I did. I loved this book. Evie is such a wonderful person. You can "see" her grow up as the book progresses. She has such a love for Clay. First love at its finest. This is a story of what happens when everything you have been taught is challenges. Do you side with family or tradition. Is the world full of evil as you have been taught with one exception, or is how you are born make you inherently evil? Evie travels a difficult path and I am really excited to see what comes next. I couldn't put the book down. A must read.
Profile Image for Romance Between The Sheets.
1,295 reviews63 followers
December 16, 2015
Please note this review may contain spoilers.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I liked it. A lot. I spent my whole Sunday reading it. I want book 2. NOW!!!

Through the Fire is the story of Evie & Clay and spans several years. It starts with Evie arriving home to discover flowers at her front door. She knows who sent them and what they symbolise: he's found her. This starts a series of flashbacks which explain the relationship between her and Clay and how she got to this point.

Back in high school, Clay is crushing on the new girl Evie and vice versa. He wants to go out on a date with her, but Evie's father is very paranoid and protective (for a damn good reason) and doesn't let her out of his sight unless it's for school. Evie finally figures out a way to see Clay and the pair share their first passionate kiss. This is where everything starts to fall apart for Evie.

Evie is special. Evie is not human. Evie is Other. Evie is clueless. Until she kisses Clay and he discovers what she is. He's been raised since birth to hunt and kill anyone and anything not human. To him, Evie is a monster. Running home with her heart broken, she confronts her father and demands answers, answers she finally gets but struggles to process. She confesses the encounter to her father and the pair spend the next several years moving from town to town to avoid detection and capture.

Back to the present and Clay insists Evie meet him so he can explain his presence in her town. He convinces her to give him another chance and that he's willing to sacrifice all he has known his whole life to stay with her and protect her. His family has other ideas and after Evie is attacked, Clay is convinced she'd survive better off without him. So he leaves her when she needs him the most.

Sadly, Evie doesn't do very well on her own. Soon she's living a very hard life and is waiting for death to take her. Enter Aiden who saves her and injects her life with hope and happiness. He is Other too and through him she learns more about their world. After spending several months with Aiden, she comes to a decision that she's healed and ready enough to try and find Clay. With Aiden's help she does and the pair reunite and and flee Clay's family and lifestyle.

The couple only spend a short time together before being ripped apart again. This is where the book ends and the ending makes me feel so sorry for Evie. I wanted to scream at her that Clay's words obviously weren't TO her but ABOUT her, but she wouldn't hear me through my iPad so there was no use even trying.

What did I like about this book?

1 Clay. He. Sounded. Hot. I liked the conflict he was dealing with and that he didn't just "forget" his past when he chose Evie. He struggled with his choice because it went against everything he had ever known.

2 Evie. I really felt for her, especially when she was at her lowest and had given up. I hope that if she and Clay get back together, she tells him exactly how bad it got for her after he left. She comes off as a little weak, but when she makes her mind up about something, she seems to follow through.

What didn't I like about this book?

1 I was so hoping that Clay would be the one to get Evie's virginity, but I understand her reasons for giving it away to another. I always hate it when the woman has waited years to give her virginity to the guy you know wasn't saving himself for her. So to say I'm upset that she didn't wait for Clay is totally hypocritical I know.

2 I have to wait until June 2015 to read the sequel.

Bring on book 2.

Please visit our site http://romancebetweenthesheets.com for more reviews.
Profile Image for multitaskingmomma.
1,359 reviews41 followers
November 22, 2014
Original Blog Post: Blog Tour, Spotlight, eARC Review: Through the Fire by Michelle Irwin

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Michelle Irwin puts forward an interesting proposition with Through the Fire. What if mythology was skewed and what we understand as flaming birds or phoenix weren't birds at all, but people? And instead of being imaginary and extinct actually continue to exist in our world today?

Evie never really understood who she was; she only knows that she and her father have been fugitives since the day her mother died and life hadn't changed in any way at all. While her dad may even be described as neurotic, Evie just accepts that he's like that to protect their lives. However, being a teen, the lifestyle may have chafed a bit, especially when Clay starts showing an interest in her.

Clay had been Evie's crush ever since she moved to her new school. There's an attraction from him too, until he accidentally finds out what her secret is. He's torn between fulfilling his mission to kill non-humans like her and the intense pull he has toward this strange creature, as they normally call beings that aren't entirely human. He searches for her after they disappear from his life and their meeting again sets actions into motion that change their lives entirely.

There's such a mix of mythology and fantasy (yep, there's a difference) in this novel that it creates this whole new world, we can only imagine the tip of it. Living between two worlds can be disconcerting, to say the least, and the world that Evie's escaped to for her safety is strangely compelling. While it's beautiful and comforting, I'd agree with her feelings about being stifled with all that perfection. When you've lived in the reality where grit and beauty mix, the unending flawlessness just doesn't work.

I wished that she was able to meet more than one type of fantasy being, though. She was in a refuge and other fantastic and mythological beings were known, but she was the only different one there? Why? If others needed to be rescued too, why was she still alone? I hope she will have a few more encounters in the future.

The idea of The Rain, now that's interesting. Disturbing, but interesting. It's a great play on those groups who want a cleansed, homogeneous world and refuse to accept that there should be more than just the physical in front of them. If they see something different, their only answer is kill and destroy. Hate to say it, but very human indeed.

Through the Fire ends with an awful cliffhanger because of the danger that Evie's been through. I hope Michelle Irwin has started on the sequel because I have to know how Evie survives and if what I suspect of Clay is true!
Profile Image for SydneyGen.
193 reviews2 followers
November 6, 2014
A brilliant first book from Michelle!

I have to say, I have been anticipating this book for awhile now. I knew it was being written, but didn’t quite understand what it would be about! For a first time author, Michelle has proved to herself, and her readers, that she is a force to be reckoned with.

Through the Fire is the first in a series, and although I’m not a huge fan of starting a series knowing that other books aren’t complete, or have a set release, this was an exciting book on my to be read list! It’s set in a paranormal world, which in my opinion can be a tricky thing to do. Being the first in a series, there are snippets of characters introduced, that I am very keen to understand further in future books, I certainly hoped they’re developed further! I also think the interactions between the “Rain family” was too brief, but I’m sure that’s coming… Paranormal worlds can often come off as being a bit complicated and messy, however, Michelle has managed to create a world the reader can immerse themselves into, without confusion.

She weaves in the legends of the old-timers, such as the fae, that we all know, as well as creating her own world, involving non-humans, with the ability to create fire (You’ll get it once you start reading), and an elite group of people, known as “The Rain” who hunt down all the paranormal creatures of the world, believing they are all evil. The heart of the book is the Romeo and Juliet relationship between Evie (a phoenix) and Clay (The Rain). They meet as teens, but then, we don’t see any interaction until they are older, Evie having fled under instructions from her protective father. Their relationship starts where they left off, however a tragedy soon tears them apart. Throughout their time apart, instead of thriving, we see the main character struggle with her identity, ability to develop relationships, and life-as something other than ‘normal’. I really appreciated the fact that the author showed these struggles and lead the reader through a timeline that wasn’t hurried, nor too slow. clay1

The author has blended in enough action, romance, and mystery to make this a brilliant read. The push and pull of the relationship between the main characters, along with the timeline of events, is cleverly composed and smoothly executed. Warning – the ending “may” cause you to throw the book and cuss the author…but in a really good way! GO, read it and tell me what you think!

Read this book if you’re after a new world to immerse yourself into. A story of a girl who’s lost and struggling with a power inside her, and of a boy who could be her saviour, if only he wasn’t her sworn enemy.

I can’t wait to read the next installment.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Hopelessly Devoted.
109 reviews11 followers
November 3, 2014
4.5*
This is the story of Evie, a young girl struggling with the realisation that she is different, that the world is no longer safe, that there are people willing to hunt her and hurt her because of those differences. That there are people willing to kill her family and hurt anyone who cares about her.
She first met Clay when she was truly innocent and unaware of those differences to any real degree. Their love is forbidden and yet unstoppable.
Irwin has hit upon something truly magical here! she's dragged the reader into a world reminiscent of an adult Hans Christian Andersen, the magic radiates from every single page. At no point did I want to put this down or think -come onnnnn insert some realism!- because it wassss realistic. Every emotion that Irwin portrayed for Evie you couldn't help but feel too, internally you find yourself battling with a hatred for the dreaded rain because of who they are....then faced with the same realisation that that is exactly what the rain did to Evie...in my opinion this is a book that highlights predjudism and narrow mindedness.
Michelle has written an unstoppable page turner that, in my opinion, holds many small messages that we could all learn from.
Although this isn't my typical book of choice, i couldn't recommend it highly enough! exceptionally well written and an enchanting story of a girl looking for her place in a world she doesn't belong in! Well done Michelle! I cant wait to read more!
Profile Image for Kat.
821 reviews31 followers
November 15, 2014
*I received a copy of this book from the publishers in exchange for an honest review*

I give this book 5 stars, I was contemplating taking half a star off because I really wish that the cover had been more like the description of Evie, Michelle describes her vividly and my imagination of her is so much better than the book cover... ok thats the 'What I didn't like' part over!

What I loved .... EVERYTHING ELSE!

from the first page you are drawn into a world where the paranormal are hunted (unfortunately not by Sam and Dean Winchester) but by RAIN, a group of HUMANS who live in a world of black and white, where NO Paranormal person is Good, and are killed on sight.

Our Heroine is Evie, she didn't know she was different, her mum died when she was born and her father has been very overprotective since.

When Evie meets Clay at school the attraction is something she can't ignore, and finally she agrees to meet him at his favourite spot...

This is where things go terribly wrong and Evie ends up on the run, and that's all I am going to say... other than Buy this book to delve into it yourself.

Well done Michelle, all that hard work paid off and you have written book where I not only want to know what happens to Evie and Clay, but also I want to know more about Aiden!

Swoon!!!!

Profile Image for Siobhan Mccarthy.
134 reviews3 followers
November 17, 2014
Through the Fire begins with us meeting Evie, a seemingly normal high school student who lives with her dad. Evie and her dad move around a lot and their latest move has resulted in Evie meeting Clay.

Evie, with "help" from Clay discovers that she isn't as normal as she once believed and finds herself on the run from Clay and a powerful organisation who want the earth rid of anything not 100% human.

Two years later, life on the run has not been much fun for Evie when Clay reappears in her life. This ignites a tragic event that leaves Evie again running for her life but this time she is completely alone.

We follow Evie as she struggles through some really tough and emotional situations as well as some rather funny ones.

Michelle has really built up the scene and you can almost imagine that you're there inside the pages alongside Evie. The characters are well thought out and very likeable - One in particular that I enjoyed meeting was Aiden and I do hope he appears in the rest of the books or gets his own story (Please?).

The ending of the book... Well lets just say I didn't want it to end and I'm waiting with bated breath for the follow up!

This is a faced paced book with no dull moments and I am really looking forward to the next in the series... well done Michelle on a fantastic Debut!

Profile Image for Bruce.
Author 18 books64 followers
August 6, 2016
Through the Fire, by Michelle Irwin, is a young/new adult fantasy romance mix. It gives a first person account of our main character, and all the things she discovers—what she is, who she loves, as well as her struggles and losses along the way. It’s Book 1 of Daughter of the Fire Series, bringing a fast-paced and action filled enjoyable romp to what looks like a very promising series.

Although this is not my normal book of choice, I absolutely loved it. Irwin deftly creates the modern real world as well as the fantasy one. Her use of first person character was excellent, and I felt I really came to know her and care about her life and those around her. Where suspense was needed it was top-notch and I could not put the book down. The romance part of this book should attract those who enjoy love stories, but it also caters to the fantasy lovers just as much.

I highly recommend this book and give it a hearty five star rating. I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Melissa J (Book Addicts Reviews).
1,002 reviews77 followers
August 21, 2016
Great book!! Kept me reeled in!
Evelyn is an "other". I won't tell you what I will let you read that but I honestly love what she is. My heart breaks for Evelyn. She loses her mother before she even knows her and now her father just wants to keep her alive. So they must always be on the run. Then she finds a boy who just lights her world up. Problem is he is the exact opposite of what is good for her (think every girl has had one of those ..ha). And not only is he wrong for her but when he figures out what she is, he calls her a monster and reveals his true self. Now she is on the run again and so unhappy...
Clay is the man she loves but can not be with a woman like her. His family will destroy her. Does he choose love or family? Or will he even get a chance to choose?!?!
This story is wonderful and I can't wait to continue this series. Though I will say I can't stand Clay. I thought I liked him but he just annoys the piss out of me. And poor Evelyn has nothing but bad luck. This poor girl. I am rooting for her. I just hope she drops Clay! I loved all the journeys this book took you on. This book kept me on my toes and I never knew what bad guy was coming. And let me say I hope Louise got what was coming to her. Very well written book with great character development.
**Thank you to Blind date with a Book and the author for allow me to read this book as a review copy. In return I gave my honest review**
Profile Image for Reesa Real.
63 reviews
December 22, 2014
Through the Fire
Michelle Irwin
I would consider this a YA book and I usually don’t read them because of the ‘teenage drama’. I am glad that I did read it as it was so beautifully written. From the first page I was caught up in the story. Who was Evie? What was Evie? Will R.A.I.N. and their hatred catch her? I had to keep reading to find out.
The character development was fantastic and had me wanting to reach out and just show Evie that someone was there for her. Ms. Irwin writes extremely well and is very descriptive which allows the reader to be drawn into the book. Well done, Ms. Irwin. I know we will be seeing more of you in the future.
Profile Image for Jenny Schwartz.
Author 104 books379 followers
January 5, 2015
"Through the Fire" is an intriguing New Adult paranormal romance. It has the wistfulness of a road trip in a country ballad, but there's a lot happening in it. This is a journey into adulthood, with a lot of complications.

Love and heartbreak are sensitively handled.

An abundance of imagination creates a unique story.

The effective use of first person narrative (something that I'm not always keen on) draws you into the story.

An intriguing start to a new series.

*Disclaimer: Michelle Irwin and I are members of the same Facebook book group
61 reviews
January 9, 2015
What a tragic life this young girl has had. But each obsticle makes her stronger. Being in hiding her whole life and rejected by almost everyone. You can feel her pain and her love.I can not imagine feeling that alone with no place to go and being hunted. I Really enjoyed reading this story and look forward to reading part 2.
Profile Image for Diary of a Book Addict.
350 reviews6 followers
January 19, 2015

Profile Image for Dawn Brazil.
Author 18 books112 followers
April 1, 2015
Loved it! If you think your life sucks, met Evie Meyers..

This book seriously hit on so many elements that I love when reading. There was the obvious fantasy elements. Which Michelle does not dive right into. As the reader, you understand from her lifestyle that there is an underlying cause that is not "natural" but she weaves the actual revelation into the story. Brilliant! There is a portion of the book that is pleasantly more fantastical than other parts, mostly in the middle, and I enjoyed these portions, too. But the backdrop of the entire story might be the romantic relationship between Evie and Clay. The relationship between these two characters drives many scenes in the book - and even when he is absent from the page physically, the readers are always reminded, through Evie, of Clay and I really liked that. The book was paced well, no errors that I noticed, and great characters with good chemistry. And the end left me wanting more but this could easily be a standalone novel. But I don't think it will be.

I highly recommend this book to those who love Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, and Romance.
Profile Image for Demelza Carlton.
Author 165 books3,721 followers
April 24, 2015
"What are you?"

An intriguing tale about a creature seldom found, even in paranormal fiction. Ms Irwin lays the scene for Evie's story in a life spent on the run, with a combination of flashbacks and the present. I admit I found that bit jarring, but it also reminded me of I Am Number Four, and the rest of the Lorien Legacies series, though this is firmly a new adult book and not a young adult one. And jarring it may be...but it took us right into the action with Clay and Evie.

This is more than just a standard paranormal or coming-of-age romance - there are underlying themes about tolerance and prejudice and what lies at the heart of terrorism. And it's not all sunshine, roses and sex, either - this is dark romance at its finest. Evie's story truly takes her through the fire of a fight for her life. The right to exist, something most of us take for granted.

I'm eager to read the rest of this series, as well as the companion series from Clay's perspective, because one thing's for sure: with all the unpredictable twists and turns in this book, I have no idea where it'll end. And I absolutely must know.

Five stars.
Profile Image for Candy Box.
385 reviews9 followers
August 31, 2016
I generally do not read books like this so it was definitely a blind date book and guess what I absolutely loved it and can't wait to get my hands on the other 3 in the series.
Evie and Clay is literally the couple that can not be together in any way shape form or fashion. The way he was raised screams no at the very beginning. Evie is clueless as to why and begins grilling her father only to find out something very deep and secret information that puts her life at serious risk. Running was all they could do. Never staying in one place long 2 years went by and then there is was right before her eyes.
This book inspired me to always go after what you want. If you believe it's going to make you happy no matter the risk involved something you just gotta take the bull by the horns.
There are 3 more books in the series and I can't wait to get them on my Kindle and even better on my bookshelf.
I was so lucky to have been gifted a copy of this book for my honest opinion and I am so glad I took the plunge.
Profile Image for Ashley.
812 reviews49 followers
September 10, 2016
I won a copy in a Facebook contest and I'm so happy I did. It sucks you in from the first page. I LOVE Evie. She's so sweet and innocent, even after everything she's been through. And she goes through A LOT. And I can't help but feel for her. She's a Phoenix. (Which is awesome, never read a book like this before)And because of that she has to 'live' her life on the run because a group called the rain are set out to kill anyone not human. But that's no life constantly on the run. And she just so happens to love Clay, a member of the rain. Honestly I'm love/hate with him. Growing up being brain washed to hate and destroy is understandably hard. But Evie doesn't deserve some of his crap. I did love Aiden and the fae. That was a nice surprise I did not see coming! Bit of a cliffhanger ending... I can't wait to read what happens next!
Profile Image for Karen Fields.
Author 3 books4 followers
January 27, 2015
Through the Fire is a tale that takes place over a couple of years. The main character is a young girl, Evie, with unusual powers, and her star-crossed love, Clay, is from a clan sworn to eliminate all of her kind from the world.

Throughout the novel, Evie and her father run from the group that is after them, and from time to time Evie and run into one another and their romance continues to bloom.

The story is compelling and well written. Evie is a very sympathetic character and you find yourself rooting for her to succeed. The paranormal sequences are subtle enough that you’re still able to care about the people, versus being distracted by special effects.

Definitely a good read – looking forward to the next in the series.
Profile Image for Kate Bonham.
Author 34 books214 followers
February 6, 2015
Intriguing, provoking, thrilling. Michelle has a way of putting words together to pull you into a world of desire and wonderment.

Since picking the book up, I couldn't put it down. Evie is a headstrong girl with a love that she holds paramount. Clay is bound by duty but his attraction to Evie overshadows his loyalty and it leads them through a torrent of situations that pulls at your heartstrings and makes you scream out 'WHY?!' on a train loaded full of commuters.

Absolutely adored this story and better yet...the ending surprised me and rounded out a fantastic read!
Profile Image for Linda.
1 review
January 18, 2015
Loved every bit of this book and can't wait for the rest of the series, I'm hooked!
Profile Image for Kimberly Anne.
3,167 reviews177 followers
April 2, 2016
This is the first book in the Daughter of Fire series and this is one of the best paranormal stories

I’ve read in quite a while! This author offers such a unique and refreshing perspective on the paranormal

genre that I’m officially a huge new fan of hers. I’ve just finished reading this book and not only could I

literally not put it down until I’d finished reading the entire story, but now I absolutely must read the

next book in this series in order to find out what happens next. I usually withhold a five star rating for

books that I not only loved reading, but that I can see myself wanting to read again at some point in the

future. Well, with this book I’ve just finished reading it and already have a strong urge to go right back

and reread the entire thing from page one again. This book has everything a fan of paranormal romance

could ask for and then some and I loved every single second of reading this! Most of the time with books

in this genre I find that the outcome is at least somewhat predictable, but that’s not the case with this

author at all and I found this to be the most enjoyable aspect of reading her work.

This is the story of a young girl named Evie who has her entire world turned upside down after

into a constant state of turmoil from that point on. She’s developed strong feelings for someone who

could quite literally prove to be the death of her. Clay is deeply involved in the organization known as

be freaks of nature that must be eliminated. Even though they are on opposing sides of this battle, Clay

and Evie can’t deny the strong pull they feel towards each other and this is not a happily ever after

that’s going to come easily for either of them. This book is literally full of constant twists and turns and

kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time needing to know what was going to happen next! The

situation between her and Clay was both beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time and it’s killing

me that I have absolutely no idea what the future holds in store for these two! I’d like to leave a longer

review, but I must get to the next book so I can see what‘s going to happen next so I will conclude here

by saying pick up this book and give it a chance. If you enjoy paranormal stories, then you will definitely

love this since it’s a great one!
Profile Image for Alison.
457 reviews25 followers
February 4, 2016
5 Stars!!!

I was given this book in turn for an honest review!!!

Evie lived a life on the run; little did she expect the boy she was falling in love with would be both her sanctuary and her worst nightmare. Can Evie and her father stay hidden? Will Clay and Evie find a way to survive hidden together? Or will Clay’s family strike?

Through the Fire is captivating, and enthralling from the moment you start; I truly found it hard to put this book down. This book is packed full of action, suspense and amazing plot twists. Michelle Irwin will keep you guessing until the very end and even then what happens next you truly won’t see coming. Evie is a strong young woman, who has lived a life not knowing who she truly is and how much her life is at risk. The way she manages to proceed with her life after secrets are revealed is amazing. Clay has been brought up to believe his family are doing the world justice and he has no reason to believe any different; until he meets Evie. The courage and strength he found to protect the one person he loved was inspiring. The chemistry and connection Evie and Clay have is apparent from the moment they meet; it’s clear they are the other half to each other’s soul. My heart truly broke for them; their love is one that will never be free from outsiders trying to tear them apart. Michelle truly took me into a fantasy world that seemed so very believable; I love when a book has the power to do that. I can’t wait to read Rise from Ash book #2 as Evie’s story continues.

If you love paranormal romances, full of action, suspense and twists you will absolutely love Through the Fire by Michelle Irwin.
Profile Image for Dawn Yacovetta.
807 reviews1 follower
August 20, 2016
Once again, I've found another phenomenal read outside my normal purview. I took a chance on an author new to me in a genre that I don't always read, and found an emotional roller-coaster story that begins innocently enough. Being a teenager is a difficult enough feat to survive, but to be picked on at each turn by the twin of your school-girl crush is beyond heartrending. Of course, it doesn't end there. Evie is told that there's something seriously wrong with her, and is crushed and shocked to find out the truth from her own father.

That's all you're getting from me because I don't kiss and tell. What I will say is that this is a brilliantly written story of a young girl Evie, and the boy she loves, Clay, and the dangerous lives they lead that draw them together when it is that very danger that should drive them apart. It is a modern Romeo and Juliet love story that takes prejudice to a whole new level. There's an unexpected paranormal aspect that takes the tale in impossible directions. And just when you think you have everything figured out, everything shifts.

I was completely mesmerized by the author's writing style and her evocative imagination. I found myself reading the story into the night, unable to put it down. The characters are vibrant and the story is realistic enough to believe that these are subcultures that could possibly exist in our own world. I wanted to know what was going to happen next and what drove the characters forward. I was simply drawn in. If this is a sample of the works of this author, I will definitely be revisiting the series to discover what happens in the next chapter. A true gem!
Profile Image for Donna Parrott.
453 reviews6 followers
August 28, 2016
This author offers such a unique perspective on the paranormal genre. Its kind of refreshing to tead a new outlook on the genre. I would recommend this whole series and the author to everyone. You will defintely need to get the next book to find out what happens next. Evil is a young woman who has had her entire world turned completely upside down after she discovers something pretty important about herself. This shocking discovery sends her entire life into a constant state of turmoil from that point on. She is trying to keep a secret about herself while still trying to figure herself out. She starts to develop feelings for someone who could essentially be the death of her. Clay is deeply involved in the organization known as Rain that’s mission is to destroy people who are special and unique like Evie since they consider them to be freaks of nature that must be eliminated. Even though they are on opposing sides, Clay and Evie can’t deny the strong pull they feel towards each other. They bith know that if they want their happily ever after that it won't be easy for either of them. This book is full of constant twists and turns and
kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. The
situation between her and Clay was both beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time.
This book sends you on twist and turns that you can't anticipate what will happens next, so you have to read it till it's over.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 67 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.