Start by marking “Blood, Ink & Fire” as Want to Read:
Blood, Ink & Fire

Blood, Ink & Fire

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  482 ratings  ·  143 reviews
Imagine a world without books…
In the future, books are a distant memory. The written word has been replaced by an ever-present stream of images known as Verity. In the controlling dominion of the United Vales of Fell, reading is obsolete and forbidden, and readers themselves do not—cannot—exist.
But where others see images in the stream, teenager Noelle Hartley sees words.
Published December 1st 2015 by Upturn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood, Ink & Fire, please sign up.
Ashley Mansour Hey Randi! The book is available in paperback, too! Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Ink-Fire-...

Thanks so much for your interest in my boo…more

Thanks so much for your interest in my book and your kudos on the cover. It is pretty, I agree :)(less)
Ashley Mansour Hi Say and Johanna! Thank you for your interest in my book!

Hi Say and Johanna! Thank you for your interest in my book!

The story is based on the same premise as Fahrenheit 451 - a future world about books- but is incredibly different from the Ray Bradbury classic. Told through the eyes of 17-year-old Noelle Hartley, the book takes you on an epic journey from the dominion of Fell, (Noelle's homeland where books have been abolished), to the outside world of the Nine Sovereigns. Without giving too much away, there are a few sharp twists and a very unusual love story that will leave you breathless at the end... I hope you will check it out!

Best wishes,

-Ashley(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Blood, Ink & Fire
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
This book had an amazing premise, and Ashley Mansour's such a sweet person, but unfortunately the book just fell flat for me. Generally, here's what I thought:

Likes:
- All the bookish quotes! This book had an amazing collection of fantastic book-related (and non-book-related) quotes that you would want to highlight.
- Lovely idea. It's obvious that a lot of thought was given to creating the storyline.
- There was a lot of taking care of family.

Dislikes:
- Fast-paced romance. It's borderline instalov
Muse-ic ♬
The most I can give this book is three stars. It had potential; potential which I didn't quite feel it reached. I feel bad because I had high hopes for this one.

I'll start by saying that I loved the concept. A future where no books exist? Terrifying! I was excited to see where this was going.
Unfortunately, what began as a flat start didn't improve very much as the book progressed.

It took a while for things to get cooking.
I feel that the book was lacking in world building. I was confused.
You hav
Giselle
*I received an advanced copy from the publisher (Upturn Publishing) in exchange for an honest review.

Look, ALEX PETTYFER teases the release of the book with his giant back tattoo to promote his new publishing company!

description

Blood, Ink and Fire is a sci-fi/dystopian novel set in the year 2056, a futuristic world where printed books are strictly off-limits and where reading is obsolete. A world devoid of books is the worst nightmare for us readers. It was set in the post-literacy era that wasn't convinci
Inge
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
Blood, Ink & Fire is difficult to rate. It floats somewhere between a 3 and a 3.5, but I've decided to go with 3 because I had a few issues with the book that I couldn't ignore.

First of all, let's start with the main positive: the concept. Just the mere notion of a world in which books are gone, nay, forbidden, had me jumping on the 'Request' button on NetGalley. And it really did deliver. This dystopian culture was a mess and I loved how the few rebels still expressed that love of reading, of f
Laurence R.
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-review
This book made me shiver only by reading its summary. As someone who reads every day except for a few day-long reading slumps, I can't even imagine not being able to read. I knew I had to read this book to see what it could be like. I think the initial idea of it is insanely good (I mean, imagine a world where you can't read! It's crazy), but it lacked many important details.

While the part about not being able to read was clear, the rest of this universe was pretty vague. I couldn't get an idea
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
Originally Posted On The Sassy Book Geek

***Thank You To Netgalley & Upturn Publishing For Giving Me This ARC In Exchange For An Honest Review***

So I’m just going to get this off of my chest right away: this book was pretty awful. I hated it and while I was reading it I wanted to just DNF it.

I skimmed the last 20% of the book because I was so bored, but I told myself I’d rather skim than not know how it ends at all.

Without further ado let’s begin this review.

Let’s Start With The Plot:

One of the
Josiah (bookishfanboy)
You can read my full review on my blog here: https://bookishfanboy.wordpress.com/2...

I received an e-arc copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I was lucky enough to be one of "The Hundred", the first one hundred readers to be able to read and had an e-arc of Blood,Ink & Fire by Ashley Mansour.

A world without books. Blood, Ink & Fire is set in the futuristic world where books and reading are forbidden - a nightmare for all the bibliophiles out there. The story itself was
lookingforabura
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya

I like the premise of #BloodInkAndFire very, very much! What if we were fed with things without knowing what it all meant? What if we no longer have books to learn from? What if the world is made of absurdity? What will happen? What will fall apart?

YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK once it's available on your bookstores! It's like reading Fahrenheit 451 all over again - and that is a good thing! Promise! ☺️

One honest note though, the romance was so fast-paced that I didn't enjoy it as much as I would l
Carlie K
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
An astounding debut that every reader should read.

A full review to come soon.
Brianna
well dang... I dont know what to say... review to come..
Adventures of Nikka
 photo header for gr.jpg

Full review on my blog, P A P ∃ R & T R E E S!

*A copy of this book was provided by Upturn Publishing in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.*

Blood Ink & Fire is set in 2056 where books, or any form of the written word, and reading are considered forbidden. The United Vales of Fell wants complete control over its people and therefore altering their [the people’s] brains to unable them to read and write, Valers also have to go
Bee
Istyria book blog ~ A World of Enchanted Books

I initially started this book with much excitement because I'd been anticipating it for a while and what with me being a part of The Hundred, I got teased for this one quite a bit. So my expectations were pretty high but in the end... It's okay, I guess?

Blood, Ink & Fire revolves around Noelle Hartley. She lives in the United Vales of Fell, a world were books have been eliminated and reading has been replaced with the ever-present stream of informati
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star

I think this book had fabulous potential. The idea of it all was epic - in the future, books and reading are forbidden. How scary is that? I think Ashley Mansour was really onto something great here, because it speaks to the heart of every single one of us readers. A world without books is the worst kind of world we could possibly imagine! The concept really was brilliant. But there were a lot of issues I had with it that kept me from enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

I wasn't really sold on
Lauren
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
For one, a world a without books is my worst goddamn nightmare. Why would it be important to eradicate books and forbid reading? So your citizens don't ask questions and don't use their imaginations, that's why. If they don't question things and can't imagine things, they're much easier to keep in line and rule.

For starters, the worldbuilding was great. There was a lot of thought, detail and planning that went into it---it was obvious. So obvious, though, that it turned into a constant stream o
Maren
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
Kirsty-Marie Jones
I tried, I really tried. But I've spent four days on it and only got through a quarter, just can't get into it, such an interesting concept though! ...more
Martha Sweeney
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
I LOVED the aspect of Ledger - it was far fetched enough as a science fiction feel that made up for the 'born able to read' theme (see below for my explanation). I'm interested in seeing what happens with Ledger in book two. Certain parts were believable - people actually died rather than everyone surviving with the way the dystopian world is depicted.

Ashley has a great writing style and I'm curious to see what she does next.

I liked the premise of the story overall. It's definitely an i
Sofia Matias
Nov 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks, dnf, proofs
{This book was sent to me through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review}

This book has one of the best premises I have seen in YA this year. A world without books? How would that work? What has happened? How did the world come to such a sad, sad state?

If only it delivered.

My first issue was the writing. I don't think the author writes poorly, on the contrary, but it just doesn't fit the story. The choice of a first-person narrator was not, in my opinion, wise. Considering that most of the ch
Nichole
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. Noelle Hartley is almost 17. On her seventeenth birthday, she, like all people in The United Vales of Fell, is scheduled for immersion. Fell wants complete control, so they immerse people to take away any thoughts or memories that they deem dangerous to them. Words and reading are among the things forbidden. Noelle was born with the gift of words and she is willing to fight to save that. As an avid reader, I cannot imagine a world without books, or ...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to Netgalley and Upturn Publishing for giving me this book to review.

Blood, Ink & Fire is a dystopia novel with a really interesting concept. However, I really struggled with this book for three main reasons; it lacks world building, it pacing as really slow, and uninteresting characters.

Noelle feels like she is different and that she does not fit in anywhere apart from with her best friend John, however, I didn’t care about her or what was happening to her. All of the other characters la
Khulood
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2015
This book was written by a reader for, you guessed it, readers.
When I read about the concept of the book, I was intrigued, And I was lucky to join the 100 (first readers).
There was a bit of information dumps that made the book a little draggy, and the characters lacked development. There was a love triangle, which I'm not a fan of in general.

"Blood, Ink & Fire" had a lot of potential, and the plot was very good.

*This arc was kindly provided by Upturn Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for a
Arch Bala
33% DNF for now. [INK]
I thought I was halfway thru it already (so fail for me and my reader)
I loved the world-building. I loved Noelle's character so far. I don't really understand what Ledger is.
As I've said before, it really is like a mixed-up of The Giver and Divergent so there...
Will wait for the sequel. Probably.

Yousra & Books
Sep 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
Alex Pettyfer said we have to read this ! I guess we have to!

Kinga
Jan 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
Reminds me of Ink and bone.
Ana
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it

I understand many people loved this book so I will try to keep my review as objective as possible.

Blood, Ink & Fire starts out as your average dystopia: a society where individuals are deprived of freedom and has this incredible AI whose purpose is more than meets the eye. Quickly you get the feeling that this is an ode to Fahrenheit and Shakespear and book loving in general.

However, as a work of fiction, to me, it failed to deliver. Suspension of disbeli
Dulcie
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, arc
**I received a free ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion**

When I began this book, I really wasn’t sure if I was going to like it or not. I hadn’t read many reviews before hand, so I was unsure. Though, the concept was really intriguing, so I was really hoping for it to be great - it’s a book for book lovers, and sounds beautiful, but sadly it left me really disappointed.

The main thing that let it down was the pacing. I got really bored in the mid
Finn Longman
This had an ... interesting premise. The idea of a bookless world is one that a lot of people fear, I guess, but it was sometime before the world building really convinced me. The difference between language and literacy wasn't made clear for such a long time that I couldn't understand why characters talked about words as though they were something Other but used words to do so. It was explored in more depth as the book went on and made more sense, but that limited my enjoyment of the opening ch ...more
Becca
I liked this book at first, but it went downhill after about the 1/4 mark. Here's why I did not like it:

1) Lack of world-building. There were Vales and Sovereigns and Risings and volumes to collect and mysterious distances and people freaked out by other people. But not one of these things was really elaborated on and it quickly became confusing. I would have made an outline, but, in all honesty, I didn't care enough.

2) The concept is incredible - a future where there are no books and no one can
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
DNF at 8%.

This one has been on hold since I started reading it. I couldn't really get into it and thought there was a lot of information without it really being explained. After having it on hold for longer than I could keep my attention to read it, I have finally decided to DNF it. I found the pacing okay, but the narrative wasn't to my liking and I could not connect with Noelle at all. I didn't like that she basically knew she
Fhina
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Beautiful writing and great quotes, however, the characters lacked of depth, there were things that seemed unlocigal and the worldbuilding was weak.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The 100 9 34 May 09, 2015 09:05AM

• Burned (Burned, #1)
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Smoke (Burned, #2)
  • Crank (Crank, #1)
  • I Have Lost My Way
  • The Rescue
  • Alex and Eliza (Alex & Eliza, #1)
  • Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas
  • Denn Geister vergessen nie
  • Laufe Lebe Liebe: zurück ins Leben
  • Love & War (Alex & Eliza, #2)
  • All For One (Alex & Eliza #3)
  • She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall
  • The Wolf Within Me (The Haunted High #1)
  • The Ghost Files (The Haunted High, #2)
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • Paramour Bay Mysteries Books 1-3 (Paramour Bay Mysteries Boxset Book 1)
  • Wir fliegen, wenn wir fallen
Ashley Mansour is an international bestselling author, a #1 Amazon bestselling author, award-winning producer, and writer originally from Los Angeles, California. She has over eight years of entertainment and digital media experience and twelve years experience as a professional writer. In 2019, she founded LA Writing Coach with a simple mission: to help writers fast-track their writing projects a ...more