Start by marking “Never Loved (Dark Obsession, #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Loved (Dark Obsession, #1)

Never Loved

(Dark Obsession #1)

Beatrix Becker spent most of her life under the thumb of her controlling, abusive father. And now that she’s free and attending her dream college, she has no idea how to act
Published July 21st 2015 by Loveswept (first published June 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Never Loved, please sign up.
Fable Answered my own question! The ISBN is the same as Never Loved, as is the release date. So I'm 99.9% sure this was the original title of that book but…moreAnswered my own question! The ISBN is the same as Never Loved, as is the release date. So I'm 99.9% sure this was the original title of that book but the entry was never removed. Since I'm a goodreads librarian I combined the editions.(less)

Baba
1 star. DNF @40%. Full review posted May 21, 2015

photo oie_DI8RCgOYA6WU_zpsbaq54ddr.gif

Good grief. Please, please, please spare me from stupid and immature (view spoiler) who babble a fuck-ton of redundant and embarrassing gibberish. I felt sorry for Serge who deserved someone better--not some kind of dumb and childish twat. Geez.

My little story is (mostly) told in third person POV. That's why I had to alter some of the quotes.

Once upon a time there was a woman (view spoiler) She loo
Pam
2.5 could have loved stars
“That scare you? It should. It scares me.”

“How could I ever, ever be scared, when you are with me?”

Never Loved is another me vs. the book, actually not the book but our heroine. She drove me batty, I couldn't do it, to say she is ridiculously neurotic is an understatement. The only reason I finished the book was for Serge, he was one big softy with an image to scare people away. I loved him, he was such an utter contradiction, and it made me read on just for him. I
Cristina
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-finished, arc
DNF 50%

That's it!!! After she called him "love" after just their third encounter I had to DNF this book...I couldn't take it anymore...I'm done!!!

description

I had so high hopes for this book based on the blurb. I mean...how could I not?

"Perfect for fans of Abbi Glines, the first novel in the Dark Obsession series tells the story of a beautiful wallflower who falls for a chiseled street fighter"

- Abbi Glines fan - check
- Loves story - right up my alley
- chiseled street fighter - Yummy!!!

But what I got

Hero: 9/10
Humour: 4/10
Hotness: 5/10
Romance: 7/10
Extra book Details: Heroine POV; 1st person.

Never Loved is a slow and sensual tale of a sheltered college girl, trying to find herself and massive hot-as-fuck punk biker, who hates who he is.

It's no secret that I adore Charlotte Stein. I love the depth she gives to her characters, the really hot sex and the unique writing...
Rosa, really
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance

If you're looking for a Charlotte Stein book about an awkward, abused girl, her massively tall, amazingly kind, dirty talking love interest and how she learns to believe in herself through the insertion of his elephant dick, try Sheltered. Looking back it might be just as silly as this one, but it was better done, I think.

I'm almost positive.

Other than that, I have a question for readers of both MM & MF books: is it just me or do you find there's not a lot of clean up after sex in MF books?
Jen
I was very disappointed with this book...It was very hard to hold my attention and for some of it it was hard to follow the story. I wasn't keen on the writing style either...Not my cuppa at all...;-(
Olga therebelreader
"I love you so much I barely feel afraid to say it. So much I want to stop it, in case it swallows me whole. I know I’m not supposed to feel this way and maybe one day I’ll regret it, but for right now I do not care. I love you like someone falling into the sun, still thrilling as I burn.”

photo f93befc68238b05b801f81be75e4feaf 1_zpsi1cfo6v9.jpg

Never Loved is about the love story between a shy, virgin college girl and a dark, huge, tattooed fighter. The writing style is really special. You’ll either love or hate it. And, I definitely loved it! The
Naksed
In Never Loved, Charlotte Stein returns to the format of the sex-starved, not-by-her-choice-virgin heroine and the big bad "punk" who falls in desperate insta-lust and love with her, a formula that she achieved with moderate success in Sheltered. I have not read this author's other novellas and short stories but I hope she is not following the same blueprint over and over because it wears thin.

The story is told exclusively through the first person narrative of the heroine. I hated being inside h
-ya
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
3.5-stars
Like all Charlotte Stein’s books I have read so far, this short CR is heavy on the inner dialogue with Bea’s POV. Other than the protagonists are older in Never Loved, the basic framework of story is rather similar to Sheltered . A sheltered college girl trying hard to fit into the real world meet a tattooed, biker punk fighting for a legitimate life.

What to expect:
Likable LCs
Character-driven
Steamy
Not a dark read nor a depressing read
Sweet

Interestingly, the story starts with Bea’s sens
Paige
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 "Like sees Like" Stars

This book follows Beatrix and Serge. Beatrix, a college student, is finally out from under her abusive father and is trying to help save her wayward brother. In doing so, she runs into Serge. At first she really isn't sure what to make of this huge, tatted, dark and dangerous looking man, but he continually shows her that looks can be deceiving. They develop a relationship until sins of the past take over leaving them to decide if this relationship can withstand the backl
Michelle
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary
ARC kindly provided by Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept in exchange for an honest review.

[image error]

Never Loved by Charlotte Stein is the first book that I have read from this author. I will admit I was looking forward to reading this book since this book was marketed and I quote: "Perfect for fans of Abbi Glines, the first novel in the Dark Obsession series tells the story of a beautiful wallflower who falls for a chiseled street fighter—and learns just how dangerous love can be." Be
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
 photo liveshow04-dafuq.gif
DNF after Chapter 1. Honestly I don't know how I got that much done.

First off, does Abbi know she is getting referenced to sell this book??? As a huge AG fan I'm rather offended that this was linked in anyway. Nothing about this bullshit reminded me of AG.
Book Blurb:

Elements of a good story:
✔bea
Julia's Book Haven
*Probably closer to 2.5 stars*

This one was a bit rambly for me, I found Bea's inner monologue a chore to follow at times. And it's definitely a book that would have benefited from dual POV because I feel like I don't really know Serge at all. The bones were all there for it to be really good but it just fell short for me.
TheresaDK
4 stars - saved by the oral sex

So, this wasn't easy for me to rate. I went back and forth several times. I even had to sleep on it. So let's start with a breakdown of what i didn't like so much and what I liked.

Dislikes:
1. The inner monologue of Bea, the heroine. The voice is juvenile and gives you an impression that the h is goofy and dense.. It's all over the place and her thoughts are jumping from one subject to another, which almost gave me whiplash.
2. The inner voice takes up too much of th
Bec
Book Summary
Published by: Loveswept a Random House imprint
Release Date: 23rd June 2015
Pages: 170
My Rating: 1.5-2 Stars

Review
Okay, so in the face of full disclosure, I have to tell you that I struggled with a capital 's' to read this book. It had nothing to do with the story, despite how much doesn't happen, it's all got to do with the way it was written.
It was so convoluted and full of inner monologue that you could've skipped up to 5 pages in some parts without any actual dialogue between the
Mandy
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, hot
I'm so torn on my review for this book. On one hand, I had a really hard time getting into this book. There was so much inner monologue in the beginning that it was driving me crazy and I almost DNF. Once I got use to the writing, I ended up liking this story. Bea comes from an awful past where she suffered abuse from her father. The beginning of this book, with all her inner monologue was really sad. I really wish we would've gotten a chapter or two from Serge's POV. Overall, I did enjoy the st ...more
Bella

Beatrix and Serge.

This story was a little bit heartbreaking, a little bit hopeful and a little bit weird.

The writing was so different. Such a different way to describe things and the inner monologue went on and on and on. So long that I had to scroll back 3 pages to remember the last thing that was said.

Beatrix was a bit immature and her feelings flashed from one extreme to the other in an instant.

But, I do remember feeling like she did when I was that age.

I loved the connection be
namericanwordcat
I adored the love story. I very much love the arc of the heroine's character. The sexy times are so tender and hot with intensity of young love. The hero is great and not a man ho.

I love Charlotte Stein's New Adult writing because it captures the ache of love during that time of life and the finding of oneself mixed in with accepting oneself.

The book falls flats with some unneeded drama and some loose threads of story lines but overall I liked it very much.

I was given this book for my honest re
XxTainaxX
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the story for the most part though there were elements of the characters that made me lose some of that spark that shows up at different points in the story. Overall it's a hot read. Serge is that buff and tough alpha make and Bea that naïve but totally into him chick. I didn't find too much depth in her but it didn't kill the story's vibe.
Tori
Originally posted at SmexyBooks-http://smexybooks.com/2015/07/review-...

Stein usually excels at building awkward relationships. Never Loved is such a relationship that is built around two people who were each victims of abuse. Told from the heroine’s POV, we learn Beatrix Becker and her brother were horrifically abused until they were able to escape. Beatrix comes to college for a normal life and instead finds herself always on the outside looking in. In her need to be seen as normal, she is una
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Beatrix Becker finally has freedom from her abusive and controlling father and has used her freedom to go to college. However, fitting in isn’t easy; dating, friends, parties and even conversation feel like she is navigating a deadly sea without a compass or a map. When she meets Serge, she know she shouldn’t be fascinated by him, big, rough and steeped in violence, he terrifies her as much as he thrills her. But as their connection grows Serge surprises her with glimpses under his armour and wi ...more
Danielle
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every once in a while you meet a character that just pulls you into their story and doesn't let you go... And that's exactly what happened with me as soon as I met Beatrix. Being in her head was definitely an interesting place to be and after learning her story I couldn't help but understand why she was the way she was.

Beatrix lived a sheltered, strict, and abusive life until her father passed away. Now she's going to college and trying her best to be normal. Because of her upbringing she's extr
Samantha
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 kind of loved stars for Charlotte Stein's Never Loved. I'm so torn over this book because there were things I really loved and things that didn't tickle my fancy. I guess that is why will have to I stick with the 3.5 star rating because I didn't hate the book but I didn't fall in love with it, either.

The story is told from Beatrix's point of view and her reactions and thoughts make for an interesting read. Beatrix grew up in a home where there was no love, no one to count on for shelter and
Cristina
Oh man...
This one was a hard one to digest.
Sorry...
DNF.
Rachel
12/6/18 Currently $1.99 via Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00O02CBH...
Under the Covers Book Blog
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

Beatrix Becker finally has freedom from her abusive and controlling father and has used her freedom to go to college. However, fitting in isn't easy; dating, friends, parties and even conversation feel like she is navigating a deadly sea without a compass or a map. When she meets Serge, she know she shouldn't be fascinated by him, big, rough and steeped in violence, he terrifies her as much as he thrills her. But as their connection grows Serge surprises her with glimpses under his armour and w

Ivy Deluca
May 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: _arc-reads
description
Lovely writer with a quirky voice : Ms. Stein is a good writer, whose characters, whether they work for you or not, are singular with distinct voices that stay with you long after you’ve finished her book. That said...I have to say that Never Loved isn’t among her best.

Struggled to connect this : I wanted to love this book, but I struggled with Beatrix or Serge and with general interest in this particular story. It didn’t flow well. While I normally love her character’s stream of consciousnes
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Paige's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I really enjoyed Never Loved but it took a bit to get used to the writing style. We spend most of the time in the mind of our heroine, Beatix.
She was a very interesting character. She was quirky, shy and loved her brother unconditionally.

Beatix and her brother suffered abuse by her father for years until they are able to break free. Bea is trying to fit into society and be "normal" while her brother takes a different path. If it wasn't for
Honey Warren
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-favs
Where do I even begin!? I want to stand up and cheer! Pom poms and all! Sometimes I come across a book that is made for me. This was one of those books. I knew it right away too. I LOVE when that happens. InstaBOOKlove. It's the best thing ever ever ever with love hearts all around it and lots of happy flowers.

My perfect man is Serge! Big, HUGE, fighter, tattoos, sweet oh so SWEET, NOT a manwhore, fierce, angry, self deprecating, would die for love, plays guitar, HOT, did I mention HUGE!! I love
Keri
Apr 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ugh, facepalm! I just could NOT get into this book. I kept thinking it'll get better, it has to get better but Bea just kept inner monologuing about nothing and I just wanted to deck her. Which I am fairly certain was not the point. It starts slow, becomes a slight trickle through the last half but mainly never really took off. Serge was the only good thing about this book but sadly we don't get as much of him as I would have liked. Maybe we could have this book from his POV vs hers and I would ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Letter
  • A Lady's Pleasure
  • How To Kill Your Boss - An Erotic Love Story
  • Unbound
  • Knowing Me Knowing You
  • The Corrupt Comte (The Bourbon Boys Quartet, #1)
  • Laugh (Burnside, #2)
  • Rewired (Progress, #3)
  • The Hermit
  • Sinful: Epilogue (Addicted, #2.1)
  • Have Mercy
  • Not Quite Married
  • Whose Bed Is It Anyway?
  • Spitfire (Puffin Cove, #1)
  • Duplicity
  • The Key
  • Beneath Beautiful
  • Lost and Found
Charlotte Stein is the RT and DABWAHA nominated author of over fifty short stories, novellas and novels. When not writing deeply emotional and intensely sexy books, she can be found eating jelly turtles, watching terrible sitcoms and occasionally lusting after hunks. For more on Charlotte, visit: www.charlottestein.net

Dark Obsession (3 books)
  • Never Sweeter (Dark Obsession, #2)
  • Never Better (Dark Obsession, #3)
“Never let some guy take advantage of you just ’cause you’re worried about seeming mean,” 2 likes
“For years I thought babies came out of belly buttons and masturbation meant chewing your food really well” 1 likes