Start by marking “Coyote” as Want to Read:
Coyote

Coyote

Winner of the 2013 NOS Book Contest.

A daughter disappears in the middle of the night. What happens in the aftermath of this tragedy—after the search is abandoned, after the TV crews move on to cover the latest horrific incident—is the story of Coyote. There is a marriage and a detective. There is a storm, a talk show host, and a roasted boar. People are murdered and
Published January 20th 2015 by Les Figues Press (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote

Start your review of Coyote
Dannii Elle
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such an exquisitely penned short piece that centred around the plot of a missing child and used nuances of language to further unsettle the reader. I could not give this a full five-star rating as I guessed at the ending early on but it was still a chilling tale, nonetheless, that provided both a disturbing insight to one family's life and the disturbing effects of grief on the individual.
MJ Nicholls
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
A novella pre-loaded with epic emotional trauma, purely by dint of its topic (missing child) and focus (parents of missing child), this book has little work to do in wringing as much pathos and empathy for its protagonists as possible, although is not averse to cranking the trauma knob with occasional overblown scenes of hysteria (half-mad mother setting fire to her house, assaulting security guard). Told in flat and often awkward prose, this novella seems more concerned with mining as much ...more
Andy Weston
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really appreciated Colin Winnette’s other two books, especially Haint’s Stay which for me was one of the stand out books of 2016. They are both very different to each other, as is this. Coyote is a short novella, which takes little more than an hour to read. The subject matter many authors have covered before, that of the disappearance of an infant child, but Winnette stamps his own mark, both with his writing style and his approach. The story is narrated by the mother whose ...more
Jim
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, small-press
Haunting, elusive, mind fuckery loaded with lines I wish I'd written. Can't wait to read it again.
Corey
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Short and punchy. Like Gone Girl written by Raymond Carver.
Kristen
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oof...

Short, raw and brutal, Coyote is not for the faint of heart. It tells the story of the aftermath of a little girls disappearance and how the lives of her parents slowly unravel because of it. But this story is not like anything you’ve read before; it’s abstract and unnerving and confronting on several levels.

You’ll want more but you’ll reel from what you get. Brilliant
Alyse Stolz
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
All the grief.
Kevin Catalano
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A 70-page literary suspense novel as fulfilling as anything three times the length. And the title—I love books where the title’s significance doesn’t reveal itself until the end.
Brenda Koehler
Jun 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
I bought this book because it received glowing reviews as a suspense novel but I don’t agree with those opinions. The book lacks an indispensable ingredient—a character that draws the reader’s interest, whether that interest be positive or negative.

The main character of this book offers nothing in that regard save the tidbits that she looks good naked and has a lot of sex with her husband. The lack of physical description of this main character leaves a gaping void that the reader has to
Ian Belknap
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tell you what - this guy has fully got the goods. This is spare as can be, but is also full to the brim. He leaves enough space for you to fill in some of the horrors and anguishes and what (perverse, sad) triumph can be wrung from this yarn.

Have yet to read his other stuff - in what is a rapidly growing body of work - but am keenly eager to do so, and can say that if the rest is anywhere near as good as this one, then man, I will likely find myself curled like a fanboy fiddlehead on his porch,
Tim Jones-Yelvington
Shockingly, distinctively well written by a language wizard at the peak of his powers who also happens to be a wonderful human, at least in my limited interactions w/ him

& yet I found this utterly tiresome

Wake me up when heterosexuality stops obsessing over its predictable violence and grief and calling it the universal human experience

I already know where the bodies are buried, & for me the narrative never answered the question why re: its existence

For me, to successfully render
Sam Bortle
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never know how to rate Colin Winnette’s work because I always finish them wondering what the hell just happened. 5 stars, again, because I need people to experience what a wild ride this book is.

Coyote is the story of the splintering of a family after the disappearance of their daughter. It is fragmented and dark and confusing and painful. But Winnette manages to settle his writing somewhere between prose and poetry, making it impossible to stop reading.
Eblison
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Personal, intense, and it left my heart feeling like I'd been through some shit. Just what I like in a book. I love Colin's writing style in Coyote. It touched something in me that keeps feeling the pain.
Xian Xian
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dang. Thought I wasn't gonna like this and ended up loving it. The prose is awesome.
John Waterfall
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sparse, brutal portrayal of grief. The whole thing has teeth, unreliable pointy teeth.
Jon
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Review written for and published by Portland Book Review on February 26th:

Written in a journal-entry style, Coyote, tells the story of a couple’s struggle with their daughter’s disappearance and eventually discovery. The reader is only given the wife’s point of view. Perhaps offering the husband’s perspective as well would make for a more complete story. The couple is not named, perhaps in an attempt to make them an “everyman.” This approach comes across as a little impersonal though.

What was
Micah
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book: Some random guy does George Saunders-lite. Formally atypical poor-people-behaving-badly fiction, pointless, but oddly moving. Emotional terrorism, basically, masquerading as empathy for the edification of comfortable voyeurs. A tad more sensational than your average Whatever Review short piece, but all the more readable for it: author fits in a dead baby, a Jerry Springer expy, gratuitous sex fantasies, violence, violent sex fantasies, the works.

No wonder it won some sort of contest.
Joy  Cagil
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Evocative, poignant, and moving, this is the dark, twisted, and morbid tale of a married couple with a missing daughter.

When the child turns out to be missing, her parents’ relationship falls apart one day at a time. There isn’t much to the plot that a reader cannot guess from the beginning, but there is a lot to be said about the style of writing and the speaker’s voice so deftly put forth.

This novella’s depth is amazing and its impact on the reader is indelible because of its relaxed prose,
Brooks
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The narrator is the mother of a missing girl. She and the girl's father (they are married, but everything in the book is defined by its relationship to the missing girl) are living with the disappearance. She is lost, and she is losing her daughter bit by bit. Soon there might not be anything left.

I read this in a day (not quite a single sitting, although I could have). It's short but powerful and has a paragraph or two that will stop you for a minute while you take it in. I have really liked
Lily
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Christopherseelie
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Something sinister circles this story of a couple's anguish in the aftermath of their daughter's disappearance. Oblique fragments of confession build to a reveal that topples expectations. The tone and the narrator's hysterics are at odds, like a predator's focus before bloodlust, leaving much to the reader to decide what has truly happened. Daytime TV shows, vivid memories, and the howl of coyotes in the woods lend their piece to the puzzle.
Dana Burgess
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a little book I won't soon forget. The characters have no names and, in the end, I am still unsure as to what really happened but the voice of the story is strong, intense, insane, very powerful. At the beginning, it all makes sense but unravels as the story goes forward. I was caught up. Not something everyone will enjoy but I certainly did.
Renata
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, grownup
I mainly read this because a few of my co-workers read it and disagreed about the ending and wanted my vote. This book was strange... I appreciated the visceral grief of the unreliable narrator, but overall, not my cup of tea. Kind of like a darker The Lovely Bones.
K.C. Wells
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Only 86 pages but it packs a punch. It was so weird and morose but oddly compelling. I could truly feel the narrator's emotions. I don't know that I truly understand what happened, but I love a book that makes me think about it long after I have read the last page.
Joanna Conrad
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was disturbing, and I'm still not really sure what happened at the end. Most of it took place in the protagonist's head. But I liked that it was written in small bites. And I enjoy a book I have to think about to understand.
Helen McClory
This is a book made up of sharp precise language that handles what could potentially be over-wrought subject matter with a steady, lyric, ruthless hand (do those adjectives go together? Lets say they do here)
Melissa Reddish
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Colin Winnette is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. This is a book that could quickly go off the rails, but he has such a deft touch. I think I might just follow him around and gather up his pages as he writes them.
Bookread2day
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
The story starts
I told the same story over and over again, to the police, to the reporters, to the prep-interviewers and celebrity guests and you name it. I tell the same story every time we put her to bed, and when we woke up she was gone.
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
More of a 3.5. I enjoyed the author's writing style, and the storyline was haunting. It was a bit morose for my liking, but that is what happens with a book about a missing child.
Roxanne
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting writing - novella.

• Song for the Unraveling of the World
  • Egon Schiele, 1890-1918: The Midnight Soul of the Artist
  • The Tenants of Moonbloom
  • Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers
  • Forest of Memory
Colin Winnette is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. He is the author of several works of fiction: Revelation (Mutable Sound 2011), Animal Collection (Spork Press 2012), Fondly (Atticus Books 2013), Coyote (Les Figues Press 2015), and Haints Stay (Two Dollar Radio 2015). His writing has appeared in numerous publications, including Playboy, Lucky Peach, The American Reader, The ...more
“I'm not asking for heroes. I'm asking for people to take responsibility for themselves. I'm asking for at least some of us to have the courage to be up front about what they want, or what they need. When did we learn to hide like this? Who made us this kind of afraid?” 0 likes