Start by marking “A Fantastic Holiday Season: The Gift of Stories” as Want to Read:
A Fantastic Holiday Season: The Gift of Stories

A Fantastic Holiday Season: The Gift of Stories (Krewe of Hunters #14.2 (Santa's Mortuary))

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  448 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
’Tis the Season for 14 magical, macabre and merry tales to make your Holidays Fantastic.

Gingerbread houses, caroling carolers, brightly trimmed trees, big family dinners, pristine snowfalls-the familiar pleasures of the season.

But what better pleasure is there than a good holiday story? So open this winter solstice sampler and indulge in fully festive fantasies, nightmar
Published October 8th 2014 by WordFire Press

To ask other readers questions about A Fantastic Holiday Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fantastic Holiday Season

Mitticus
4 silly wolfy stars.

Juro que habia visto esto en forma independiente, pero tal vez fue que se echó para atrás la publicación. De todas maneras, odio que me hayan borrado mi pequeño comentario acerca de una historia corta en tono de broma acerca de Asil uno de mis personajes favoritos en el mundo de Alfa y Omega de Patricia Briggs. Tenia guardadas las citas, pero no el susodicho comentario.

Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs - Some members of Adam's pack think Asil should get out more, so t
Steven
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five Stars for Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs.

This shorty is about Asil, one of the most intriguing and entertaining characters in the Mercyverse, and I loved every second of it.
Angela
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Only read the short: Mercy Thompson World 10.5 (Alpha & Omega 3.5): Unappreciated Gifts

I loved this story with Asil. And it makes me hopeful that we're going to get a lot more of these "dates" of his in future stories. *crossing fingers*

Review to come.
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've only read one of the stories in this anthology so I'm not marking it as read or giving it a star rating yet. I do plan to come back to it at some point though so I'll update this when I read the rest.

Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs - 4 stars
(Alpha & Omega 3.5 / Mercy Thompson World 10.5)

Some of Bran's pack are worried about Asil, they think he needs to get out more so they've decided to take matters into their own hands. Once Asil is informed of the bet that they have made (that
Amyiw
I don't know why I rated it and never reviewed or even change the shelf to read, since I'm not going to read the other shorts but I fell down on the job.

I read only Unappreciated Gifts- a short story in the Mercy/Alpha& Omega world involving Asil. Asil is talked into going on a number of "dates", they don't turn out as anyone had hoped or planned and one has consequences.

I loved how things played out with the last date. I'm not saying anything as there is a twist, and others players are invo
Ina
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review of Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs

I've already said it, but I have to repeat myself once again - I love Asil. However, I can't see anyone brave (and stupid enough) to mess with Asil like this, except for Bran. We, readers, see Asil as someone sweet, but other wolves are scared to death of him. So I really think it was Bran who set him up.

As for the story itself, it was cute. I didn't expect Asil to end up on a date with guy, but I'm really glad Briggs didn't try to push them toget
Darcy
This review is only based on the story by Patricia Briggs.

Asil is a favorite character in the Mercy Thompson/Alpha Omega world. I think I like him because he is not what he seems. I love how the characters of Aspen Creek try to pull one over on Asil. I loved how they phrases things to be a challenge, something Asil could not leave alone.

I'm not sure if there are any more ways that Asil's date could have gone more wrong. But I loved how Asil adjusted to all the screwball things that came his way
Delta
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Alpha & Omega series
This rating is for only the Patricia Briggs short story, book 3.5 of the Alpha & Omega series.

In Unappreciated Gifts , anonymous friends of Asil (aka, the Moor) challenge him to go on five blind dates that were set up for him by his friends via online dating websites. His first such date is full of surprises for everyone involved. If you are a fan of the Alpha & Omega series, you will likely enjoy this humorous tale.
K.
Cheating, again. Skimmed most of the stories, because I really grabbed this for "Unappreciated Gifts", a short story in Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series. It explores sometime in the life of my favorite supporting character, Asil, as a few mysterious packmates set him up on a series of blind dates. This story covers the first date: dinner and masquerade ball. His date Kelly and he immediately get off on the wrong foot, mostly because Kelly is a man. I love Asil.
"... They didn’t give me yo
Dr susan
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
I got a copy of The Gift of Stories from my library because I wanted to read Briggs's Unappreciated Gifts. I ended up reading all the stories. I did not expect horror in a Christmas/holiday story anthology, but at least two of the stories (A Christmas Feast, A World Done In By Great Granny's Grateful Pie) are definitely horror. Several stories are science fiction and several are urban fantasy.

I am a rabid Asil fan, and Unappreciated Gifts is a wonderful story of acceptance and standing up to a b
Paraphrodite
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
3.5 stars. Rating is for Unappreciated Gifts from Patricia Briggs - a story in her Alpha & Omega series.

This was quite funny...it's about someone from the pack setting up blind dates for Asil on dating sites....
Maria
Not going to lie, just read the Patricia Briggs short story... and I hope that she adds to this in her next book. Fun!
farmwifetwo
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranoramal
The Briggs story only
Mel
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I only read Patricia Briggs' novella, Unappreciated Gifts, because I had zero interest in anything else in the anthology. If it wasn't for the fact that I am doing a complete Mercy Thompson World reread and went to Ms. Briggs' website to get the proper reading order, chances are I wouldn't have known anything about this particular short, which would have been a shame because I adore Asil.

Unappreciated Gifts is technically a Christmas story and as I mentioned in the opening paragraph, it features
Jen
This book should really be given five stars. It was and is a wonderful collection of holiday stories, and I thoroughly enjoyed ALL of them, laughing and crying in a couple. Even the ones that had me shaking my head in a sort of confused fog were fun to read. In fact, I'm going to go so far as to say that I want to now find the first volume of A Fantastic Holiday Season (A Fantastic Holiday Season: Volume 1) to read/buy, as I hope to buy this book. :-)

But. . . The editing really left a lot to be
Kathy
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alpha & Omega #3.5
A Fantastic Holiday Season Volume 2 - The Gift of Stories (Alpha & Omega #3.5) by Kevin J. Anderson A Fantastic Holiday Season: Volume 2 - The Gift of Stories by Kevin J. Anderson, Patricia Briggs Etc.

I bought this book because of the story in it by Patricia Briggs. I believe it would have been better if I had read this instead of listening to it. The narrator didn't do a very good job in my opinion, and mispronounced the main character's name throughout the entire story. After that I didn't bother listening to any of the other stories.

Read:
June 22, 2018 – Audible Audio
Kevin
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I bought this for the Patricia Briggs and Mercedes Lackey stories but tried them all. Some were unreadable and some were pretty good. As always in an anthology, it's a mixed bag.
Naughty & Nice
This was a clever and enjoyable mystery concerning Santa's missing list. The zombie detective discovers another mystery and the two converge. Violence ensues, but Santa swoops to the rescue. It's by Kevin Anderson who wrote an amazing series which I read previously, the Saga of Seven Suns.
Close Knit
This
Emily
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I absolutely ADORED the Patricia Briggs story at the end of this book. (That story is why I purchased the book.) Asil is one of my favorite characters and his story lived up to my expectations, with witty yet caring characters and action packed twists. This story absolutely will stand on its own and is independent of (but will fit almost anywhere in) the timeline associated with her books.

I was surprised by the names in this book and disappointed by most of it. A couple stories I enjoyed,
but, a
Dharia Scarab
Nice anthology, only a couple duds that seemed out of place.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find anothe
Lorre
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I only read 2 stories in this anthology, Briggs' story because it's in the Alpha & Omega world and Maberry's story because I have him on my TBR list.

A Christmas Feast - Jonathan Maberry
It's about a 4 year old boy and his brother doing their best to survive in the zombie apocalypse. I liked the writing style and look forward to read Maberry's zombie series that's on my TBR list. 4 stars

Unappreciated Gifts (Alpha & Omega 3.5) - Patricia Briggs
I love Asil so having another story with him is
Melissa
Mar 26, 2015 marked it as read-part-of
I read Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs, a hilarious Asil (The Moor) short story. I can not wait to see how the other 4 dates go! LOL!
Katie
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Overall 2 stars. I'm glad I got it so I could read the Patricia Briggs short about Asil, but the rest didn't offer much.
Amber
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beau Brockett
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Before I begin, I would like to say that this book opened me up to a lot of different genres of science fiction, horror, and fantasy that I had never read before; it is a very diverse array of stories. I would also like to say that you have to get by the beginning tales, in my opinion, to get to the good stuff. Finally, I was a bit distracted by the editing mistakes; there was about 1-2 spelling errors per story, it seemed.

The reviews of each short story below do not give any spoilers as to the
AlitaConejita
I can't step away from what I know, so I liked Asil's story (Unappreciated Gifts), but I don't know how much I would have liked it without all the background from the Alpha and Omega series.

I also liked 'Santa's Mortuary' (I liked the dynamics of the couple and will search out the series), 'The Atmosphere for Miracles' (I liked the interpersonal interactions - I wonder if there is a series attached to it) and 'A Sufficiently Advanced Christmas'.

'The longest night' was OK - I might look into the
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good mix

I bought this collection because I wanted to read Patricia Briggs' story about Asil's date, which was fabulous! I'm sure that I'm not alone in wishing that she'd write about the others. Asil is one of my favorite characters and I absolutely love reading about him, especially in the present day. I'm glad that it was the last story in the book though, because otherwise I might have skipped the others and that would have been a shame. There are some super, awesome stories in this collecti
Victoria
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Most of this collection seems to be series-related, so I only read two:

* Unappreciated Gifts by Patricia Briggs
* Midnight Trains by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Both stories had good bones but were missing pieces--we never find out who (view spoiler) nor do we get to see the rest of the 5 blind dates in Unappreciated Gifts (also what's with the title??), serious flaws in an otherwise delightful romp; and the protag in Midnight Trains never quite manages
Alexandria
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I borrowed this book from my library solely so I could read the Patricia Briggs short story about Asil. I am absolutely in love with her Mercyverse books and I cannot wait to get my hands on the rest. This short story, despite its length, is no slouch among her works. I absolutely loved getting to see things from Asil's perspective again while getting to know this enigmatic character a little bit better.
Debbie
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting Anthology

I purchased this book primarily for Patricia Briggs' offering ( left me laughing), but was pleased to also find a story from The Secret World Chronicles (delightful), and from Mike Resnick, who is always a treat. I would say that The Atmosphere for Miracles by David Boop was a stand-out for authors unfamiliar to me.
Michael Alonso
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Usually anthologies are a bunch of hit and miss stories, but in this one it's mostly hits, except for maybe the Thanksgiving with zombies story that ended in an unsatisfactory way.

I'm actually having a hard time choosing my favorite story? Patricia Briggs one? Mercedes Lackey? They're all pretty much winners in my book.
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology
  • A Sweet Life Boxed Set (Fourteen Contemporary Romances by Bestselling Authors to Benefit Diabetes Research)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
  • All Hallows Eve (Krewe of Hunters #17.5; 1001 Dark Nights #28)
  • Assassin Fantastic
  • Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson: Hopcross Jilly
  • Love Without Boundaries
  • Black Water (Jane Yellowrock #6.3, #0.3, #7.5 )
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Promoted by the Billionaire
  • Charmed and Dangerous
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Gratis: Midwinter Tales (Gratis Anthologies Book 1)
  • Third Time Lucky: And Other Stories of the Most Powerful Wizard in the World
  • First Thrills: Volume 2
  • Down These Strange Streets
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson

Krewe of Hunters (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1)
  • Heart of Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #2)
  • Sacred Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #3)
  • The Evil Inside (Krewe of Hunters, #4)
  • The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters, #5)
  • The Unholy (Krewe of Hunters, #6)
  • The Unspoken (Krewe of Hunters, #7)
  • The Uninvited (Krewe of Hunters, #8)
  • The Night Is Watching (Krewe of Hunters, #9)
  • The Night Is Alive (Krewe of Hunters, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“He looked up. His mouth stayed where it was and noise quit coming out of it. Yes, Asil thought, the other’s awe soothing the feathers that had been ruffled by the wait, I am beautiful.” 0 likes
“the best revenge is living well,” 0 likes