Start by marking “Christmas at Carriage Hill (Swift River Valley, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Christmas at Carriage Hill (Swift River Valley, #3.5)

Christmas at Carriage Hill

(Swift River Valley #3.5)

Celebrate the holidays with this magical Swift River Valley novella from New York Times bestselling author Carla Neggers.

Published December 1st 2014 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at Carriage Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas at Carriage Hill

Kathy
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
To appreciate this book you must need to have read the other books in the series. It does not work well as a stand alone. Too many character names are thrown out with little detail. Having not read any of the other books I felt no connection to anyone. Those who have read the series probably loved the follow up this story gives them.

I'm not sure if the original relationship between Alex and Ian was in previous books. Hopefully it was because as this book is I felt there was little between them.
Holly
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I adore this series so much, and I was excited that Carla Neggers released a Christmas novella. I actually thought it was going to be about Dylan and Olivia, which I would have known had I bothered to read the synopsis. And so I was pleasantly surprised with how this one went. I really enjoyed Alexandra's story, and her chemistry with Ian. However, because of how it was set up, there was no buildup in their relationship. I was missing that, but it didn't ruin the romance. They were cute together ...more
Kari
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, kindle, novella
Christmas at Carriage Hill was a very sweet addition to the Swift River Valley series. I have been a fan from the start. After finishing the novella, I don't feel like this can't be a stand alone novella. I suggest reading the other books first to have a slight clue as to who everyone is in Swift River Valley. There are a lot of old characters that show up for Dylan and Olivia's wedding.

I enjoyed Ian and Alex's story. I loved how Ian knew they weren't finished and did what he could to woo her ba
Angela
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I think 2014 was the first year I read anything by Carla Neggers, and I've become a fan. I was happy to see that Neggers wrote a Christmas novella, set in the part of Massachusetts where my mother grew up.

Christmas at Carriage Hill is a contemporary romance with an old-fashioned feel. There's an impending wedding, New England snow, ice skating, English scones, and a military man who won't let go of his true love.

Alex and Ian dated, broke up, then ran into each other while traveling abroad for
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Andrea
Book provided by Netgalley
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

So…I am not going to lie here. While I usually really enjoy Carla Neggers books, this one left me wanted more.

First of all, I am not a fan of novellas. I wanted to read this one because Carla Neggers is one of my favorite authors and because I really enjoy her other stuff. But this one was…short. Since I am unfamiliar with this series, I was pretty lost. Characters, places….I had no idea what was going on.
Virginia Lloyd
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right or Wrong

With Ian and Alex, things must be right or wrong. In her mind she had again chosen the wrong man. Ian Thinks differently but doesn't push. Tossed together among people who were kin and or friends, will the atmosphere not romance push them together or drive them a poo art. Read Christmas at Carriage Hill to find out what happens
Charlotte Griggs
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize this was a series until after I finished. That may explain why I didn't enjoy this novel as much as others. It was clear Alex was physically attracted to Ian, but she most certainly was not attracted to his personality. For this reason, I did not enjoy the romance. She was so set on forgetting about him, but the second he proposed, she's madly in love with him all over again.
Beverly
Christmas at Carriage Hill

All thru the story I wondered about the part of their romance I had missed. That made it hard to understand this story. Cute and short. Need to know if there is a book I missed for this couple. That, I think would have helped me=enjoy this one.
Ted H. Smith
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOK 4

Have read 4 books in this series. I enjoyed each story, the writing style suits me to a T. Reminds me of story time at my grandmother's house many, many years ago. Looking forward to completing the published books.
Cheryl Palmer
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great getaway book!

Love all the books by this author. Let's me forget everyday happenings and enjoy another place, time , and characters.
Sue Stewart
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story. Needs to be read as part of the series!
Annie
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit of an abrupt ending, but still sweet. I'll also note that it relies pretty heavily on the previous books in the series.
Loretta Warren-blackmon
Good

Good story but short. Lol
Love carla neggers. Hope I can find next good in series. Working my way to the river house book
Christine
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always a pleasure to visit the residents of Knight's Bridge.
Pam
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Christmas At Carriage Hill is a Swift River Valley Novella by Carla Neggers.
Philip Rankin, RAF pilot, had come to Boston, MA following the death of his beloved wife. Her brother had taken off with her jewelry and Philip wanted it back for his daughter. He ended up stealing the jewelry and running. He ended up in Swift River Valley. The small towns there were being cleared out, as well as the dead from the cemetery, to make room for a reservoir for water for Boston. Many of the people being upro
Yvonne
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Alexandra Rankin Hunt is excited when she is asked to design the dresses for Olivia Frost’s Christmas Eve wedding. Although Alexandra lives and owns her own dress shop in a Cotswolds village in London, she agrees to make the trip to a small town in Massachusetts called Knights Bridge for the wedding. She’s hoping this will be a nice diversion from her relationship woes. Recently, Alexandra broke up with Ian Mabry, a RAF wing commander but Alexandra is having a difficult time forgetting about him ...more
Kathleen Freeman
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: usa, romance
A quick engaging read, really liked that Dylan's relative Alexandra got a story and we got to spend more time with Grace.
Katherine P
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pro: One of my favorite premises with romance novellas is when the main characters have a history. The whole watching them get to know each other is already done and instead we get a little peek into a story that's already taking place. It was wonderful to see Dylan and Olivia's wedding and worked as a great plot device to get all the characters together. I also really enjoyed seeing a little resolution to Grace and the story of Alexandria and Dylan's family. Watching Ian and Alexandria work thr ...more
Kortney
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that I have read of Carla Neggers and the 3.5 in the Swift River Valle series. I think that Carla did a great job of setting the scene in both locations that the book took place in which was London and Swift River Valley. As I read it felt like I was transported to those locations and part of the scenery. In addition, I think that the characters were well developed and believable. As a reader this is very important to me because if the story is unbelievable the book ends ...more
Rhonda
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

This is a novella. Alexandra Rankin Hunt designs wedding dresses. Alexandra lives in England. She got asked to make Olivia's wedding dress. Dylan is her cousin that her family new they had. Now she gets to be friends with the couple and comes to celebrate their wedding.

Alexandra has broken up with her boyfriend Ian Mabry. He is a RFA pilot like her great-grandfather. When she gets to Knights Bridge, Massachusetts for the wedding she is surprised to find Ian. Ian has decided that he want
Sharon Redfern
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this seasonal novella, Ms. Neggers continues the story of Olivia and Dylan from Secrets of the Lost Summer. It also tells the story of Alexandra Rankin Hunt and Ian Mabry. Alexandra is a Brit who has designed Olivia's wedding dress. Coming "across the pond" is just what Alexandra needs to get over her broken romance with Ian. What she doesn't expect is that Ian gets to Knights Bridge before she does and proceeds to stay and make her realize what she will be missing if she indeed breaks up wit ...more
Barb
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
When fashion designer Alexandra Rankin Hunt is asked to create the dresses for Olivia Frost's Christmas wedding in tiny Knights Bridge, Massachusetts, she jumps at the chance. She's certain she'll never get to design one for herself not with her history of falling for the wrong men. Ian Mabry, the sexy fighter pilot whose bravery reminded her of her beloved great-grandfather, was the worst yet.
To Alexandra's surprise, Ian is also at Carriage Hill, Olivia's picturesque country inn. And if anyone
Michele
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
“We overcomplicated things and got cold feet not because we were falling out of love but because we were falling deeply in love. It’s true, isn’t it, Alex?”
“It is,” she whispered.

Christmas at Carriage Hill is a sweet holiday romance novella set in the charming town of Knights Bridge, Massachusetts. In a story where the past and present collide, Alexandra and Ian find themselves swept away by passion while contemplating their individual futures.

If you’re new to the Swift River Valley series, it
Natasha
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a nice short read just in time for the holidays. This novella is a part of a series that I have not read, but luckily the author gives us plenty of background information to make sure we understand the world she’s created. I enjoyed meeting all of these characters who fans of this series likely already know so well. I really liked Alexandra and her personality, she’s pretty easy going and sweet. Ian is super cocky and confident, but it works for him. They were cute together and I enjoye ...more
Fiction State Of Mind
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
So here's the thing. I believe that all novellas should be new reader friendly. I've brought plenty of new books based on a novella that grabbed my attention.
This story revolves around wedding dress designer alexandra and het Ex Ian who find themselves at a mutal friends wedding. I loved the descriptions of the winter wedding but didn't find the romance that exciting.
probably because I don't really enjoy romances where Ex's get back together. I found myself more overwhelmed then interested in t
Beyond the Pages
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was a tough one for me. I had a difficult time getting into it and found myself looking repeatedly at my page count to see just how much more I had to go in order to be finished with it. I thought that it had a romantic element of sorts, but it just never seemed to pull me in enough. I wish I could say more, but there it is.

I loved the cover of this book!

Rating: 2.25/5
Recommend: Unable to do so

I was provided with a complimentary copy of this novella by the publisher via NetGalley in ex
Judy Esposito
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas Wedding and A Proposal!

A Swift River Valley novella. Love catching up with all the wonderful characters in Knights Bridge, Ma. To really enjoy, you should start with the first one, Secrets of the Lost Summer, a light mystery and a wonderful love story and than you can enjoy this one as much as I did. Carla Neggers never fails to entertain me with her books and I always look forward to a new one. JudyE
Jessi
Designer Alexandra Rankin Hunt is going to Knights Bridge, Massachusetts to bring Olivia Frost her wedding gown. The fact that she gets to simultaneously avoid Ian Mabry is just a bonus. The handsome RAF pilot was nothing more than a fling, no matter what her heart says.
Except... Ian is in Knights Bridge when she gets there. And he seems
pretty serious about making sure that her heart wins out over her head...
A lovely addition to the Swift River Valley series.
Ann
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's Olivia's wedding and dress designer Alexandra is heading to the US from London with the wedding dresses. This great little Christmas novella revisits many of our friends from Swiss River Valley. Alexandra arrives for the wedding and is shocked to find ex boyfriend Ian, already settled with the wedding party. A nice evening holiday read.
Kelly_Instalove
Requested an ARC to try this new-to-me author, but this short story does not work well as a standalone - numerous intrusions from previous series characters/plots left little storytelling left over for the nominal main couple. DNF on this, but will likely try this series from the beginning.

• A Copper Ridge Christmas (Copper Ridge, #3.4)
  • Love on Main Street
  • A Last Chance Christmas
  • Upon a Winter's Night (Home Valley, #4)
  • The Captain's Christmas Bride
  • Christmas at the Cove (Templeton Cove, #4)
  • A Pirate for Christmas
  • Spoonful of Christmas (The Cupcake Diaries #4)
  • Christmas with Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts #4)
  • The Christmas Violin
  • More Than a Mistress (Rakes in Disgrace, #2)
  • The English Doctor's Baby - Buah Hati Sang Dokter (Westerling, #3)
  • Catherine's Pursuit
  • The Heiress of Covington Ranch (Samantha Wolf Mysteries #4)
  • It Happened at Christmas (Christmas, Colorado, #3)
  • Christmas in Mustang Creek (The Brides of Bliss County, #4)
  • Snowflakes, Iced Cakes and Second Chances
  • Hold Her Again
Carla Neggers is the New York Times bestselling author of the Sharpe & Donovan series featuring Boston-based FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan, and the popular Swift River Valley series set in the small, fictional New England town of Knights Bridge. With many bestsellers to her credit, Carla loves to write now as much as she did when she climbed a tree at age eleven with a pad and pen a ...more

Swift River Valley (9 books)
  • Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1)
  • That Night on Thistle Lane (Swift River Valley, #2)
  • Cider Brook (Swift River Valley, #3)
  • Echo Lake (Swift River Valley, #4)
  • A Knights Bridge Christmas (Swift River Valley, #5)
  • The Spring at Moss Hill (Swift River Valley, #6)
  • Red Clover Inn (Swift River Valley, #7)
  • The River House (Swift River Valley, #8)
  • Stone Bridges (Swift River Valley #9)