Start by marking “Silent Snow” as Want to Read:
Silent Snow

Silent Snow (Weatherman #2)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  521 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Steve Thayer mixes fact and fiction in a cold as ice thriller of confusing coincidence and shocking complicity. Rick Beanblossom has it all but on the first anniversary of the 1932 Lindbergh kidnapping everything will change. A terrifying recreation of the lindbergh crime involves his son.
Published September 1st 2000 by Viking 99 (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Snow

Sandra
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this suspenseful mystery, from beginning to end, it does not let you put it down! A new author for me, and I wish that I had read "The Weatherman" first, so I could know the character, Richard Beanblossom from the beginning. I have it on hold at our library and will read it too. The characters and an amazing storyline keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat with so many twists and turns.

From Amazon:
The majestically shifting Minnesota weather that dominated Steve Thaye
Paula
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent novel that combines true events with thriller. I loved it!!
Debra
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Minnesota thriller that takes a ride through the Lindbergh kidnapping to solve a current kidnapping. Never a moment I wanted to leave this book.
Tracy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller, 2017
I feel like Steve Thayer is the best writer that most people have never heard of.
Julie Griffin
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a highly entertaining book set in modern times involving a journalist caught up in a reenactment of the Charles Lindbergh baby kidnapping of 1932. St. Paul, MN journalist Rick Beanblossom unwittingly sets off a personal tragedy when he writes about the death of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, author and wife of Charles Lindbergh and mother of the murdered baby. Days later he receives a copy of his obituary in the mail along with a $20 bill. Bemused, he sets the bill and piece aside and works on o ...more
Gabby
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
The kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby in 1932 forms the backdrop for this very well written thriller/mystery. In Minnesota in 1999, Rick Beanblossom's baby boy is kidnapped from his nursery crib just as the Lindbergh baby was kidnapped 67 years previously. Beanblossom's wife, Andrea Labore is a television media star, while Rick is a well-known print media reporter. They both are celebrities, and they both, by virtue of what they do for a living, have numerous contacts thanks to work associations ...more
Linda
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Picked this one up rather at random off a library shelf, while searching for some beach/summer reading. It's an unusual mystery story, interweaving the kidnapping of a child in the late 90s in St. Paul, MN, with recollections of the Lindbergh kidnapping in the 1930s. It's at least the 2nd novel written by this author involving the same characters, so I read it out of order and can only judge it on its own merits, and not as part of the series.

Overall it's entertaining, and mostly held my attenti
Dan
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Samyann
Audiobook read by David Birney, a 10 plus hour listen. The story is about the modern day kidnapping of a baby with a paralell to the Lindbergh case of 1932. The author mixes fact with fiction, creating a historical scenario of wild speculation. If you’re looking for factual detail regarding the Lindbergh case, please don’t depend on this book. Some of it is true, most is not and is a fictionalized version of actual events. If you take historical fiction seriously, you may take a pass on Silent S ...more
Andrea
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Reading this book for library book club. I was really hesitant at first because I have long since given up mysteries. I used to read James Patterson religiously but not lately.
This book is about a kidnapped baby and the hunt to track down the kidnappers. It is surprisingly easy to read and relatively quick as well. The second part of the book takes a look back at the Lindbergh kidnapping in a historical review of a true kidnapping and how it relates to the kidnapping at hand. The third part of
Jordan
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jordan by: Aunt Ret
This book was a quick read, which incorporated a story of a child’s kidnapping with that of the famous Lindbergh baby kidnapping. If you enjoy the suspense of reading about crimes, you will enjoy this.

Rick Beanblossom and his wife Andrea are reporters in Minnesota. Their young son is taken from their home one evening, and the couple soon discovers someone is recreating the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby. Like the Lindberghs, the Beanblossoms decide to take the investigation into their own hand
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
I like Beanblossom's character, but this book just didn't have it for me. The backstory of the Lindbergh baby's kidnapping was interesting, but the motivation was preposterous that decades later the criminal would strike again. Some of the images would work for TV: the ghostly wind scaring the babysitter, the anchorwoman leaping to save the baby on the bridge, the battle inside the runaway trolleycar. But what might look neat on the screen just didn't make sense for me in the story: people did o ...more
Christine Howard
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book about the kidnapping of a newspaper man's son on March 1 the day that Charles Lindbergh's son was kidnapped mixes elements of both kidnapping and it takes place in St.Paul Minnesota as a late winter storm is ravaging the city. For those who have heard about the Lindbergh kidnapping or who know the great city of St. Paul this city strikes an interesting chord. It is fiction but the story is well developed and the protagonist Rick Beanblossom is a man you pity but admire. A Vietnam veter ...more
Deb
Feb 27, 2009 added it
This book begins with a provocative premise, has great historical detail and conspiracy theory. Dylan vanishes during a snowstorm on March 1, the anniversary of the Lindbergh kidnapping ,the same day Rick receives a mysterious parcel purporting to hold the missing Lindbergh ransom money.The kidnapper's identity and the links between past and present crimes are real surprises. I really liked this book.
Kamas Kirian
The sequel to The Weatherman, it's another decent outing from Thayer. Now married with a child, Andrea and Rick reside in a big house in St Paul when their child is abducted. Lots of references and detail to the Lindberg kidnapping in this one. It's not quite as suspenseful, but moves along faster than The Weatherman.
Jen
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is cray. Definitely gives that creepy feel, and twists your brain so much that you have no idea where the heck the story is going. Has it's bit of profanity, and some other things that are rather detailed that I had to skip over. I'm not exactly sure that I enjoyed reading this book (it's a complicated feeling), but I was kept reading for sure. If you like a murderous thriller, this one is for you.
Elaine
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
A review of the Lindbergh kidnapping.June 1932, one month after the baby was discovered New Jersey passed a federal kidnapping law. Before that it was considered a "high misdemeanor" with a sentence of 5 years to life. Hoover signed and it became a federal offence, with mandatory life in prison. If the child was harmed the kidnapper would be sentenced to death. This new statute was called the Lindbergh Law.
Joe
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a book I would probably never found. I won a drawing from the local library and in the bag was a copy of this book. Mr. Thayer is from St. Paul, Mn so he does know a few things about snow. And he uses snow and storms like a character in the book. I found it interesting to find out more about some of the history of St. Paul. I may look for another of Mr. Thayer's books this year.
Jessie
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
I started this book in the summer on a backpacking trip. It was a light paperback. I finally had time to finish it. Because I didn't read it all at once, it wasn't as great of a read. I did enjoy it for a light mystery. I liked the historical parts about the Lindberg kidnapping. It made me want to read a non-fiction book about the real events.
Sheena  at Hot Eats and Cool Reads
I thought this book was good. I really liked that it was based in MN and mirrored the Lindberg baby kidnapping. Growing up 10 minutes away from Little Falls and a couple hours away from the Twin Cities, I loved that I knew where the author writing about! It had a great storyline and I was interested through the end. Glad I found this book!
Amy
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a great follow-up to the Weatherman and tied the Lindbergh baby kidnapping to a modern day one, and the baby kidnapped is the main character's son. Very good parallels, and I will have to read the Saint Mudd book for more about Grover Mudd.
Beth Lechman
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
A story of a baby being kidnapped from its crib in the night. Than all of a sudden you are taken back to the story of Charles Lindbergh's kidnapping and that is where you stay for almost the whole book.
Leslie Callahan
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorites! I loved the way the author brought together the past with the present. Also being from Minnesota I can picture most of the scenes and enjoy revisiting some areas and realize what a task the characters might have been up against.
Ed
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reporter, action, thriller
#2 in the Rick Beanblossom series.

Rick Beanblossom, St.Paul, Minnesota reporter - Rick's young son is kidnapped in a case with startling parallels to the 1932 Lindbergh baby kidnapping. This 1999 thriller is peopled with characters from The Weatherman (1995) and Saint Mudd (1992).
Patsy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rick Beanblossom is the Twin Cities' top investigative reporter. He has a devoted wife. A brand-new son. He is contented. But on the March 1st anniversary of the 1932 Lindbergh kidnapping, all that will change -- when history repeats....
Judy
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The plot is suspenseful and keeps one reading! I enjoyed the integration of the Lindbergh case into the book.
Lindsay
Aug 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
terrible.
Annie
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
finding so many books I read many, many years ago...:)
Cynthia
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 out of 4 stars
Mo
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book and couldn't put it down. It had shades of the Lindbergh kidnapping. A good read.
  • Lake Country
  • The Drifter's Wheel (Fever Devilin, #5)
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Stone Forest
  • My Favorite Summer 1956
  • Dead Winter (Brady Coyne, #8)
  • The Hotel Detective
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Boy in the Water
  • In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2)
  • UNIX for Dummies
  • Ideas of the Great Philosophers
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • The Blair Witch Project
STEVE THAYER is the New York Times best-selling author of Saint Mudd, Silent Snow, and The Wheat Field. He lives in Edina, Minnesota.
More about Steve Thayer...

Weatherman (2 books)