Start by marking “The Lost City” as Want to Read:
The Lost City

The Lost City

Henry Shukman’s debut fiction collection, Mortimer of the Maghreb, was acclaimed as “fearless, brilliantly realized, [and] richly rewarding” (Los Angeles Times Book Review). Now, in his first novel, he tells the story of a British expat searching for treasure and, more important, for connection, amid the seductions and dangers of a rootless life.

Jackson Small has just been
Published February 19th 2008 by Knopf (first published April 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost City

Ron
Jun 21, 2009 Ron rated it did not like it
I'm a sucker for "lost city" books, so I picked this one up without much perusal. Note to self, next time, peruse more. Shukman writes very good prose at times and he has a good travel writer's eye for the details of foreigness. Sadly, he has no flare for story and no feel for character.
Fredsky
Oct 22, 2008 Fredsky rated it it was ok
I spent the whole book worrying about the cat!
Lee
Feb 24, 2008 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of travel literature
Shelves: fiction
The cover of this book portrays a mysteriously beautiful landscape, which is rather apt as the book develops quite quickly into a beautiful tapestry describing the landscape both geological and anthropological of South America.

The role of the main character (Jackson) seems secondary to the great backdrop of his surroundings for a lot of the time, which is perhaps appropriate as he himself is never in complete control and permanently at the will of fate.

Jacksons back story for his reasons to comp
Joe
Feb 02, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this coming of age novel, great descriptions of Jungles, jungle way of life with some interesting characters - has a little piece of everything this book - romance, adventure, loyalty & finding one's self. Recommended.
Linda Hollingsworth
Jun 20, 2012 Linda Hollingsworth rated it it was amazing
This is a stellar adventure complete with fascinating characters, exotic locations in the Peruvian Andes, heartfelt emotion and fully developed character of the male protagonist, and a fully developed gift of description. I enjoyed it so much I will probably read it again...and soon...
Jim
Mar 29, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing
I have been enthusing over this book to anyone who will listen, including small children and pets. The author Henry Shukman is an experienced travel writer and he is very good at capturing the feel of his settings. His handling of moods and relationships is first-rate, as is his method of slowly building dramatic tension.

This was the story of Jackson Small, ex-British army, who suffered a breakdown after seeing his best mate Connolly die in in a fire-fight. Was it a case of friendly fire?
Conno
L.A.Weekly
Apr 15, 2008 L.A.Weekly rated it liked it
Review by Nathan Ihara

Shukman’s novel, which opens promisingly with a lone figure walking through a desert, turns out to be something of a trifle. The book’s best qualities are those of travel writing: local color, evocative descriptions (“Against the white sky, vultures turned like tea leaves in a just-stirred cup”) and a sense of mystery and movement. The novel’s protagonist, Jackson Small, a troubled young man fed up with military life and the dreariness of England, embarks on the journey mad
Warwick Sprawson
Feb 04, 2017 Warwick Sprawson rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

It is a rare combination of a rip-roaring adventure and quest for self, with a thoughtful, poetic sensibility that has that special chime of veracity.

Set in northern Peru, Shukman nails the landscape, the people, and the sense of being a young traveller - the hopes and the fears.

I really recommend this book too those who like high quality writing blended within an adventure story
Wolfgang
Jan 23, 2016 Wolfgang rated it did not like it
English ex-army guy searching for Inca ruin city in Peru. Travels with Peruvian boy who doesn't let go, meets American girl who is travelling to visit her uncle, love affair, drug cartels controlling the ruin sites, our hero being naive and almost dying, getting captured by drug lord... blablabla.

Not sure why some people are enthusiastic about this and call it a travel novel. The several page long descriptions of nature and inner thoughts are tedious, the plot w/o the long descriptions is shall
Yvette Adams
I chose this book because it's set in Peru and I'm doing a reading challenge to read books set all over the world. This reminded me a lot of Andy Garland's The Beach.

I didn't love the writing style so found it a bit hard to get through, but I did like the story, despite it being quite slow in the first half. I'm sure some readers would just love this writing style. What does the author have against quotation marks?

I felt something for the characters - I loved Ignatio.
Rob Damon
Mar 02, 2013 Rob Damon rated it liked it
His descriptions of scenery is excellent and that is what drew me into this book. It was a good read of a traveler trying to come to terms with the death of a friend and some mental issues from his army life. The only issue I had was that it seemed the writer couldn't decide if he was writing a serious character driven story or an action/mystery with a few moralistic lessons thrown in. Worth a read though.
Graham Harvey
May 09, 2011 Graham Harvey rated it it was amazing
This book took ages to read for me. I got back to it on many locations. I started reading it in Sydney, then NZ, then Sydney again, then LA, then Sydney!! Just distracted by other things but it is a great read. Would love a sequel. The friendships & relationships emerging between people who come to each other's aid & back story of searching for the lost incan city are really awesome. If you like mystery, adventure and being taken to another place then check it out
bookworMyra
Apr 19, 2013 bookworMyra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-stuff
Shukman is a beautifully descriptive author - one of the rare kinds that truly bring words to life. The character development as well as relationships throughout the novel is heart wrenchingly sweet. I'd recommend this book to those who enjoy the company of nature and a solid coming of age tale.
Jerry Peace
Jul 10, 2016 Jerry Peace rated it liked it
You can tell Mr. Shukman is a poet; he can be way over the top. And this book is anthropomorphic as all get out. But this book has thoroughly seduced me. I want to go to the Peruvian Andes now. I even dream about a "cloud forest."
Janet
Mar 11, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books
A really strange but compelling book.
Nancy
Mar 04, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
Full confession - I didn't finish this book, because I think it had to go back to the library and was on my sister's card. But it was interesting while I had it...
Brett Barley
Jul 08, 2008 Brett Barley rated it it was ok
An adventure story in South America... More to come.
William
Jul 08, 2008 William is currently reading it
A young man's attempt to find himself via a anthropological quest in South America.
Randal
Randal rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2008
Mark Kelley
Mark Kelley rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2008
Joanna Gardner
Joanna Gardner rated it it was ok
May 02, 2009
Craig Brewster
Craig Brewster rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Victoria M. Schell
Victoria M. Schell rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
David Kenvyn
David Kenvyn rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Julesg
Julesg rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2011
Abby
Abby rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2008
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2008
Jd Hoffmann
Jd Hoffmann rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Some Clouds: A Hactor Belascoaran Shayne Detective Novel
  • The Spanish Game (Alec Milius #2)
  • Lie In The Dark
  • The Unpossessed
  • Careless
  • The Innocent Spy (DI Ted Stratton, #1)
  • Roofwalker
  • Feeding Baby Green: The Earth Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition During Pregnancy, Childhood, and Beyond
  • Short Girls
  • The Guardians
  • The Prairie Bridesmaid
  • Grammar Lessons: Translating a Life in Spain
  • Stuffed!
  • Escape the Mask (The Grassland Trilogy, #1)