Start by marking “Before It's Too Late (Detective Inspector Will Jackman #1)” as Want to Read:
Before It's Too Late (Detective Inspector Will Jackman #1)

Before It's Too Late

(Detective Inspector Will Jackman #1)

I concentrated hard, desperately listening for something familiar, the sound of life. I heard nothing. Just my own breaths and the wind, whistling through branches above... The thought made me shiver. I am buried alive.

Following an argument with her British boyfriend, Chinese student Min Li is abducted whilst walking the dark streets of picturesque Stratford-upon-Avon alon
Published June 1st 2015 by Legend Press

To ask other readers questions about Before It's Too Late, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before It's Too Late

Sue
Many thanks to Netgalley and Legend Press for an ARC of “Before It’s Too Late” by Jane Isaac, in exchange for an honest review. “Before It’s Too Late” is the latest crime thriller from Jane Isaac, whose previous second book, “The Truth Will Out”, was nominated as a 'Thriller of the Month novel, published in 2014. This is my first book my Jane Isaac but it won't be my last.

This is a British police procedural/ crime thriller, about a Chinese student, Min Li, who goes missing after an argument wit
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Crime Readers, Abduction/Kidnapping Themes
I am against the general public so far with this book, mostly getting five star reviews. I think it's because I read a lot of crime with similar themes (abduction, kidnapping) that I am able to compare and sift the REALLY good from the average. This book I put at just above average compared to others I have read that have thrilled me from page one.

I am buried alive.

Christine
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With ‘The Truth Will Out’, Jane established herself as a confident and strong crime writer. A writer to look out for. She gained a big fan in me. I could not wait to get my hands on her latest novel ‘Before It’s Too Late’.

The book introduces us to Detective Inspector Will Jackman, an extremely likeable workaholic copper. Jackman is put in charge of a high profile missing person case. A Chinese student has disappeared on her way home from the pub in the beautiful Stratford upon Avon, following a
Janet
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Before It's Too Late is the second novel I've now read from the pen of Jane Isaac and once again I enjoyed her book immensely.

Set in areas I know around the Midlands, we're introduced to a new character, DI Jackman. A very likable character/protagonist who I would want fighting my cause in my corner. (Not that I want to get into trouble or anything!). A married detective with one daughter, he has a backstory that is both sad and touching. To say more would be too much so I'll leave that bit ther
Elaine
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Coming from Warwickshire myself I always like to read books set locally so I was pleased to pick up this crime procedural set in Stratford upon Avon, only 25 miles from where I live. As the action moved between Stratford, Northampton, Leamington and Birmingham it was fun to pick out all the landmarks and routes that are mentioned.

Chinese Student Min Li has disappeared and D I Will Jackman is appointed to solve the case. Is there a link between her disappearance and that of another young local g
Pat
Before It’s Too Late by Jane Isaac
Thank you to Netgalley and Legend Press for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Detective Inspector Will Jackman is investigating the disappearance and murder of Ellen Readman, a 22 year old that disappeared on her way to visit her aunt. He receives a call that another missing person (misper) has been reported – a 20 year old female exchange student from China named Min Li. He is taken off his current investigation of Readman and placed on the n
sue

Oh I couldn't wait to read the latest book by Jane Isaacs, so when the proof book for review came through the post, I know this book isn't out yet, but I HAD to read it!!!

This is just intense, just so intense. We have this girl trapped, she is in such a small hole, I felt so bad for her, I could hardly breathe just reading it. I was imagining the dirt, the aches and pains she had where she couldn't stretch out.

You know, then I thought, I wouldn't feel like that if the author didn't write so wel
Gary
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book off Net Galley in exchange for a honest review.
I enjoyed this book in large parts and overall it was a good solid novel but it failed to hold my interest totally and at times I didn't care what happened in the story. Maybe I have been spoilt as I have read a few exceptional novels really and this failed to live up to them.
I felt that the novel started well but then drifted along and failed to capitalise on the good start. Slow at times and certainly drawn out and I
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
Jane Isaac is a fabulous writer – I enjoyed her last book, The Truth Will Out and found this new release even more enjoyable. Her characters are the everyday, the people you might casually know or bump into in the supermarket, or at school, or friends or a friend. Her writing takes the ordinary every day person and manipulates their life when they are touched by an extraordinary event. In this case we have a birthday drinks and an argument between lovers that has dire consequences for se
Matt
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Jane Isaac, and Legend Press for providing me with a copy of this book, which allows me to provide you with this review.

In my first experience with an Isaac novel, I found myself captivated from the outset of this stellar psychological thriller. After Chinese student Min Li goes missing in Stratford-upon-Avon while walking alone, DI Will Jackman is asked to open a missing person's investigation. Jackman is recently back on the job after a horri
Fictionophile
A recommended new series! This strongly characterized police procedural is set in the West Midlands town of Stratford, Warwickshire, England.

The cover is atmospheric and brooding and is an excellent choice to entice mystery fans.

Young women are disappearing from Stratford. Police wonder if a serial killer is at work. They have named the case “Operation Sky”. The latest is a Chinese university student Min Li. She was last seen leaving a pub after having an argument with her boyfriend. Could she b
Liz Barnsley
Really excellent crime thriller again from Jane Isaac, this time bringing us a new main protagonist (Will Jackman whom I adored) and with a heart and soul for the story provided by a victim of kidnap - Min Li, whose musings whilst trapped in a dark pit, not knowing if rescue is coming, gives a beautifully crafted edge to the whole thing that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

There are a lot of strengths to this story - Will's background and motivations are intriguing and without cliche - a
Paul
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Before It’s Too Late – Fast paced thriller

Before It’s Too Late is the latest crime thriller from Jane Isaac, who introduced herself to the world with The Truth Will Out in 2014. Again Jane Issac has written a thriller where she drops the occasional clue throughout the book but you are not really sure until the reveal at the end. Jane has even made Stratford upon Avon sound like a happening place rather than a sleepy market town that has changed very little since Bill Shakespeare lived there.

Dete
Rebecca Bradley
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
This is a break from Jane’s usually series of DI Helen Lavery. Will Jackman is a new protagonist and one I really liked and connected with. To be honest, every time he’s mentioned I just picture Hugh Jackman so she’s off to a great start there! He’s down to earth, has a daughter and is driven at work. There is some back story, but it doesn’t overshadow the main story which is excellently done.

Jane covers the issues of Chinese culture within Before It’s Too Late as missing student Min Li is Chine
Jules
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Before It’s Too Late is a great crime thriller about a Chinese student who goes missing after an argument with her boyfriend.

One aspect of this story is the police procedural side where every effort is taken to find out what has happened to Min Li, and the possible motives behind her disappearance.

However, it was the sections written from Min Li’s point of view during her capture, where I really connected with this story.

“The concoction of anxiety, boredom and loneliness here was suffocating.”

I
Bookread2day
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jane writes with real confidence and attention to detail.
Chinese student Min Li knows what she wants to do with her life there for she was doing a foundation course in business at college. Min Li is abducted walking the dark streets of Sratford-Upon-Avon alone. Trapped in a dark pit. The thought of it just makes you shriver.
Ellen Redman was off to visit her Aunt in Corfu, a missing person's enquiry later reveal that she never even reached the airport. Katie Sharp also dissapeared.
For Detectiv
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Before It's Too Late is the first book I have read by this author and I can't believe I haven't come across her books up until now.

From the cover of the book to the description, it looks and sounds great and best of all it lived up to my expectations.

Just in the first few chapters there are two dead bodies and a third person missing! Needless to say the story had me hooked from the start. This book just flows so well and with quite a few twists the reader will find it hard to put down.

The story
Claire
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Before It's Too Late is a story of kidnap, full of suspense and intrigue.

Min Li, a Chinese student in the UK, has a row with her boyfriend, storms back to her flat but never makes it. From there DI Jackman has to find her before it's too late! But Jackman has problems of his own that haunt him.

To start with I felt it was slow but enough to hold my interest. As I got further along the intrigue and suspense grew and I wanted to know whether Min Li and her captor would be found!

The chapters switch
Nicola Southall
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Will Jackman series.
Got into this straight away. Really easy to follow, gripping read that left me wanting to know what would happen next. I like the way that ‘Min’ also narrates her part of the story. Interesting. Well researched. Can’t wait to read the next one
Eva
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before It’s Too Late is the first instalment in the DI Will Jackman series and if this one is anything to go by, I’m in for a treat when I start to catch up on the next ones. Chinese student Min Li disappears after an argument with her boyfriend. She’s not the first girl to vanish in recent months but are these cases connected? The case lands on the desk of DI Will Jackman. This will be his first time leading an investigation since a personal tragedy. Is he up to the task? Will he find Min Li be ...more
Rachel Hall
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurrah for Britcrime! I have much to thank the inaugural Facebook festival that was Britcrime for, first and foremost for introducing me to a whole host of some of the classy crime and thriller writing talent that the UK is home to. Despite reading widely in this genre, many of the British authors who took part in the panel discussions and answered readers questions were new to me. Be warned - these are some of the authors at the top of their game!

First up for me was Jane Isaac and Before It's
Janel
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Before It’s Too Late is a nice cut and dry police procedural, a good start to a new [to me] crime series. Although the plot wasn’t particularly thrilling, this was still a quick read and I flew through its pages as I would an action-thriller. The plot isn’t graphic or too sinister in its nature, and I would describe it as a light-hearted police procedural, more mystery than thriller.

I didn’t feel as connected to the main protagonist, Will Jackman, as I’d have liked, but I did appreciate his char
Kate
Very enjoyable, well-written crime fiction with a particularly intriguing detective.

Noelle
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book! I have never read Jane Isaac’s books before and now I will be sure to read some more!

Will Jackman is a fantastic character. A DI in the police, he is a family man but also loves his job. He is haunted by a recent tragedy and that seems to be the driving force in his work becoming a distraction, but also his lifeline. Other reviewers have commented that he has become their fictional crush, and I can certainly
Stephanie
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was really pleased to receive an advance copy of Jane Isaac's new novel from the publisher. I had read her previous two novels, both of which feature the detective Helen Lavery but this new book follows a different detective and takes place in Stratford upon Avon.
Min, a Chinese student is kidnapped and her part of the tale is narrated in the first person. I think that this made her terror much more real when she is describing the situation that she is in. She often thinks about her life with
Joanne Robertson
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I haven't read anything by Jane Isaac before but will certainly be looking at her previous work after this interesting crime drama.
Min Li has been abducted and is being held captive somewhere underground. There are been 2 previous abductions in the same area, both of which became murder investigations and so Will Jackman is brought in to investigate.
I loved the character of Will. He was juggling his professional life with the guilt of his home life and this made him a very realistic character th
Lisbeth Davies
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've just snuck a late lunch break to finish this but have deadlines to meet so I'll have to keep it short: Before It's Too Late is an excellent police procedural made even more interesting by hearing the voice of the female victim throughout. I think we're all a little tired of reading about multiple women being stalked, chased, tortured and murdered but when you enjoy the psychological thriller genre, it kind of comes with the territory. So bonus points to the author for making the victim a st ...more
Lisa Hall
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jane Isaac's latest book has to be her best, in my opinion. Taking on the challenge of writing about the Chinese community in Britain must have taken a whole heap of research to get right, and although I know nothing about it, I have to say that Jane must have gotten things right as everything flows perfectly, drawing the reader into a fairly terrifying situation.
Her characters are intricate and intriguing - there is a sense that something is not quite on the money about one particular characte
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The story is about a young Chinese student, Min Li, who goes missing. Detective Will Jackman is given the case. The story is told from different perspectives, Jackman, Min Li, and the person who kidnapped her
Min Li is hidden in an underground room with no way out and no idea how she got there. The last thing she can recall is leaving the pub on Monday night after having had a fight with her boyfriend, Tom. She has no food or water at first - but the kidnapper throws some food and bottles of wate
Petra
I read Beneath the Ashes, the second book in the DI Will Jackmann series, a while ago and really enjoyed it, so I wanted to go back to the beginning. I think what I take away from this is the series improves as it goes along. I liked this one, there was nothing really wrong with it, but it didn't particularly grab me either. It was pretty much an average British police procedural. I still intend to read the third book at some stage.
Two narrators for the audio: one male, one female. Much like th
  • The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, #3)
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #1)
  • This Little Piggy
  • Those We Left Behind (DCI Serena Flanagan #1)
  • Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)
  • Jimmy's Game (Ruthless #1)
  • Deadly Virtues (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #1)
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
  • Ice Moon
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • Bitter Fruits (DI Erica Martin, #1)
  • Someone Else's Skin (DI Marnie Rome, #1)
  • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
  • Prey (Jefferson Winter, #3)
  • The Lake
  • The Murder Wall (DCI Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Games People Play (Charlie Cameron #1)
Jane Isaac is married to a serving detective and they live in rural Northamptonshire, UK with their daughter, and dog, Bollo. Jane's debut novel, An Unfamiliar Murder, introduces DCI Helen Lavery and was nominated as best mystery in the 'eFestival of Words Best of the Independent eBook awards 2013.'

The Truth Will Out, the second in the DCI Helen Lavery series, was nominated as 'Thriller of the Mon

Detective Inspector Will Jackman (3 books)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Detective Inspector Will Jackman #2)
  • The Lies Within (DI Will Jackman #3)