Start by marking “The Curse of Anne Boleyn (French Executioner #2)” as Want to Read:
The Curse of Anne Boleyn (French Executioner #2)

The Curse of Anne Boleyn

(French Executioner #2)

Years have gone by since the events surrounding the death of Anne Boleyn. But her missing hand and all that it represents to the dark world of 16th-century Europe still draws the powerful to seek it out. Jean Rombaud - the French executioner of the first novel - has grown old, both in age and spirit. Wearied by the betrayal of a son and the scorn of a wife, he fights in ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of Anne Boleyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of Anne Boleyn

Start your review of The Curse of Anne Boleyn (French Executioner #2)
Michalis
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read but nowhere near as good as the first one was. I liked revisiting some of the old characters, but then at the second part the action moves to North America and they're just forgotten. At times the plot felt a bit forced and a little far fetched.
LOUISE FIELDER
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a continuation of Jean Rombaud' s life, and an excellent account of the years after he believed his quest to honour the oath he gave to Anne Boleyn was fulfilled and forgotten.

All except one, who died, the allies are still together. They have married with children.
Now the betryal comes not from the English courts but from Jean Rombaud's own family.
Blood Ties is the struggle of father against son to resurrect the treachery associated with the executed Queen.

From Italy to France, England
dianne
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i won this book as a Goodreads give-away. i usually avoid swashbuckling and war stories, but because this was a give-away i was gifted a new author to follow. i didn't just READ this, i devoured it. What a romp! The mid-16th century, when this story is set, is a time of big changes in the old world. This well-written, absorbing, historical novel takes delightful advantage of that. Without straining my willing disbelief too far, the Tudor Princess Elizabeth's troubles, as she lives under constant ...more
Amalie
This was a well written but didn't live to my expectations. Along the way, I found this to be dull and too boring. Perhaps "French Executioner" is better and the readers of that may understand this better? I gave up in he end.
Marlene
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Today, May 19th, is the 479th anniversary of Anne Boleyn’s death, which makes this a fitting day for a review of a book about, not Anne herself, but the ways in which she was used and abused after her death.

For a woman who only lived at most 35 years, and who was only queen for three, she has cast a long shadow. She fascinated Henry VIII, and her story still fascinates us.

In The French Executioner we read the immediate effects of her death on one man, the
Judith
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Ah yes, a sex ritual. Because otherwise, how would we know these people are native Americans? *rolls my eyes so hard they disappear into the back of my head*
Stefan
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood Ties was well written, epic novel. Humphreys, once again managed to mix historical subject matter (ranging from the siege of Siena to the French exploration of North America) with plenty of action scenes (including duels, skirmishes, and several large battles), good dialogue and interesting characters. I felt that Blood Ties lacked the tense pacing and vivid atmosphere of The French Executioner, but it was still worth reading.
Mac Daly
I was expecting a book about Anne Boleyn, but she had a very minor part in the story, and there really was no curse. The story of two warring factions looking to use a piece of Anne as a talisman probably would have interested me more if I hadn't been expecting something different.
Angela Burns
gave up after page 26 .... boring... probably should have read the french executioner first I suppose
Vivienne
May 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of a big book who are burnt out on political thrillers
Recommended to Vivienne by: Diana Gabaldon
Big book, historical fiction. Similar to a Gabaldon book but missing the "je ne sais quoi" and the time travel.

Sometimes you need a big book that doesn't tax your brain.
Jonathon Laudinsky
Wow! Humphreys failed to re-create what he did in the first book. I cared nothing for the new characters in this sequel.
Carole
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Anne Boleyn's hand and her executioner and his family continues. Interesting perspectives on the Jesuits and religious fanaticism.
Dick Dubay
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Story

I really enjoyed this sequel. I was allowed to revisit the characters I enjoyed in the first story and meet some new ones. The story was good and it was hard to put down. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys a good historical fiction.
Emily Edwards
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both the French Executioner and it's sequel Blood Ties were five star books. The stories were intriguing and full of history. I would willingly read both books again!
Crystal Ellyson
Review

This book was okay. Not one of my favorite. It was a interesting read though. It has magical elements in it.
Vichy
Έχουν περάσει 20 χρόνια από τότε που η Άννα Μπολέιν αποκεφαλίστηκε από τον Ερρίκο 8ο. Ο Γάλλος εκτελεστής της, Ζαν Ρομπώ με την κόρη του Άννα, θεραπεύτρια και οραματίστρια, ξεκινούν εκ νέου έναν αγώνα με θέμα την διασφάλιση του εξαδάκτυλου σκελετωμένου χεριού της Μπολέιν...

Στην Αγγλία κυβερνά η Αιματοβαμμένη Μαρία και η ετεροθαλής αδελφή της, Ελισάβετ Α', κόρη της Μπολέιν βρίσκεται σε άμεσο κίνδυνο, καθώς ο Αυτοκρατορικός Πρεσβευτής, Σάιμον Ρέναρντ ή Αλεπού, ψάχνει το χέρι για να υποβοηθήσει τα
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"The Curse of Anne Boleyn" is a re-release of the second book in C.C. Humphreys' French Executioner series about Jean Rombaud. Before reading this book, I did not realize that this book was the second in a series. I must tell you that had I known that, I would have read the first book first as I had a lot of questions about the characters in this book. The premise of this book is that when Anne Boleyn was buried, one of her hands was cut off. It's now been many years since her death and several ...more
Sandra Guerfi
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You do not often get to see the heroes of a book age without the soft caress of the writer's loving hand to soften the edges of time. Jean and Beck left us in the first book vivid and ready to make the world into their version of happiness having fulfilled Jean's promise to the deceased queen Anne Boleyn. In this sequel we find a much different story than the happy ending we envisaged for them. It is Siena in 1555 and they are under siege but a greater gulf has separated Jean and Beck; their son ...more
Keksisbaby
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, read-2009
Wer "Die Hand der Anne Boleyn" gelesen hat, wird in diesem Buch eine würdige Fortsetzung finden. Es sind 18 Jahre vergangen seit Jean Rombaud sein Versprechen an die Königin Anne Boleyn erfüllt hat und die sechsfingrige Hand in Frankreich zur ewigen Ruhe gebettet hat. Eigentlich hatte er vor seinen Lebensabend mit seiner geliebten Frau und seinen Kindern in Italien zu verbringen, aber in Europa kämpft die katholische Kirche gegen evangelischesGedankengut. Dabei wird die berühmte Hand der ...more
Melanie
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t read ‘The French Executioner’ I would really advise you to do it before you read its sequel.

I’m not saying that this novel can’t stand on its own. It can. But personally, I think you’ll be missing an important view and dynamic of the story as a whole. But that’s just me.

This story is set twenty years later and tells the story of the next generation of Rombaud, Jean’s son, Gianni and his daughter Anne, who are both caught in Anne Boleyn’s terrible legacy.

Once more Mr. Humphreys
Mirella
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Curse of Anne Boleyn continues the story that began with the novel, The Executioner. Jean Rombaud is obliged to honor the promise he made to Anne before he took her head to hide and protect her six fingered hand. This sequel is very much an adventure story, filled with suspense, intrigue, and evil villains. Well imagined, with plenty of exciting plot twists, C.C. Humphreys takes readers on a jaunt from England, to France, to Italy, and even the new world across the vast ocean. A great ...more
Deb
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me awhile to get back into the characters that were from the first book. I loved the depth of the main characters. The story takes place in both Europe and Canada. Of course, I loved the Canadian section of the story, with the Natives. This is an author that I buy even if I don't know anything about the book.
Ruth
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I give this book only two stars, because I really had great difficulty appreciating this book. I did not care for the characters at all, or the plot line. Thank you C.C. Humphreys for the book, but unfortunately, it is not a keeper.
Kathleen Daly
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this follow-up to the French Executioner, by C. C. Humphreys. It just doesn't compare to the excitement level and characters of the first. It's still a good book but will I go around recommending it as I did the first, no.
nikkia neil
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Great sequel! I can see where he makes the choice to lead readers to some of his other series, and I don't mind that cuz I usually like to read all of a authors books.
Sue
Mar 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Nice cover, hard to pronounce the characters' names, hard to follow. Not as good as the first one--by far. Title misleading.
Eva
After the second try at reading and no interest whatsoever in the story (although I loved the first part) now abandoned for good.
Elaine
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jean Rombard was Anne Boleyn's executioner.
Karl Bourke
Mar 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Boy, Snow, Bird
  • Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1)
  • More Than You Know
  • The End of the Day
  • The Sisters of the Winter Wood
  • Brown Girl Dreaming
aka Chris Humphreys

Chris (C.C.) Humphreys was born in Toronto, lived till he was seven in Los Angeles, then grew up in the UK. All four grandparents were actors, and since his father was an actor as well, it was inevitable he would follow the bloodline.

Chris has performed on stages from London's West End to Hollywood in roles including Hamlet, Caleb the gladiator in NBC's AD-Anno Domini', Clive

French Executioner (2 books)
  • The French Executioner (French Executioner, #1)