Start by marking “Until the Harvest (Appalachian Blessings, #2)” as Want to Read:
Until the Harvest (Appalachian Blessings, #2)

Until the Harvest

(Appalachian Blessings #2)

When family tragedy derails Henry Phillips's college studies, he's left unmoored and feeling abandoned. The only things that can tamp down his grief are the family farm, his fiddle, and an unexpected friendship with sweet but unusual preteen Mayfair Hoffman.

Unfortunately, Mayfair's older sister, Margaret, despite her spray of freckles and cute, turned-up nose, has a comp
Published May 5th 2015 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Until the Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until the Harvest

Nora St Laurent
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novel is the sequel to Miracle in a Dry Season and has some of the same characters. Henry, Perla and Casewell Phillip’s son is featured in this story. Henry tells his father how he’s had a gig playing his fiddle and would like to do it full time. His father strongly encourages him to stay the course and graduate. He’d be finished next year.

Margaret Hoffman works for Henry’s grandmother, Emily. She loves working on the farm and helping where she can. She is able to bring her sister Mayfair w
Alice Stanford
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! One of the criticisms many people (including myself!) have about Christian fiction is that it is too cheesy, or that the characters are too perfect. This one had neither of those problems: it wasn't cheesy at all, and the characters had more than their fair share of flaws, which made them all the more likeable!

When Henry's father dies Henry is left in shock, dropping our of university and getting involved with a family of illegal moonshiners. He meets Martha, along with her yo
Carmen Blankenship

Until the Harvest by Sarah Loudin Thomas

Sarah Loudin Thomas is a new author to me and an author that I will continue to follow. Until the Harvest is one of those books that you snuggle in and let take you away. The writing is so seamless that you can almost hear the conversations going on around you. I absolutley adored the characters, particularly Mayfield and Emily..

I was not aware that this was the second book about this family and really it I doesn't matter. It is perfectly fine on it's ow
Mackenzie Carol
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Until the Harvest is the second book in Sarah Loudin Thomas’ Appalachian Blessings series, coming after Miracle in a Dry Season. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, so I was super excited to read this second installment. I was really disappointed through the first few chapters of this book, but not because it didn’t meet my expectations. I was disappointed because the “family tragedy” that is mentioned in the above description was something I definitely did not see coming, and somethi ...more
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I enjoyed revisiting characters from the first book in this series (Miracle in a Dry Season), but I have to say, Casewell's son Henry is so clueless! He allows his grief and the varying emotions that accompany it derail him from his planned future, and he comes to regret his poor choices- some he's actually embarrassed about, and others he just considers a close call. I felt like his grandmother and mother, Emily and Perla, as I shook my head over him. Margaret is a little lost as well, but sinc ...more
Lori Benton
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Smell the rich farm soil of West Virginia, breathe the cold of a mountain winter, journey with endearing characters searching for wholeness amidst the ache of grief and regret. By turns charming and profound, unfailingly engaging, Until The Harvest will linger with readers long after the last page is turned.
Brandy
4/18/2015: Yay! I've been watching for this book all week--a perfect Saturday treat for it to land in my mailbox today!

Review to follow... :)

4/20/2015: Among Sarah Loudin Thomas's many strengths as a writer is her honest rendering of human beings. Her characters have the same dark and hidden places in their hearts and minds as all the rest of us. It's simultaneously comforting (yay, I'm not the only one!) and alarming (wow, what's ugly on them surely looks no better on me...)

This is one thing th
Marlo
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
While this is from a decidedly Christian perspective with a few scripture references included, it didn't feel heavy-handed or preachy. The characters were likeable, and the storyline enjoyable. I felt it was wrapped up a bit too neatly, but I appreciate a happy ending. Easy, gentle read.
Paula Vince
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's something I find most compelling about this series. Maybe it's the freshness of not knowing what to expect. (The first few chapters are guaranteed to make us say, 'Hey, what?) Maybe it's the delicate touch of the supernatural in the real world, proving that it doesn't just happen in fairy tales. In this story, a sudden event upsets young Henry Phillips' plans to return to college, while his grandma's helper, Margaret, is always around the place, rubbing him up the wrong way.

I initially t
Denise Hershberger
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Until the Harvest alternates between the point of view of Henry and Margaret. I found myself enjoying their sections of the book equally and loved the dimension the variety gave to the book. But what I especially loved about Henry and Margaret were their real life flaws. Instead of writing perfect characters, Thomas gives hers perfect opportunities to become better people through the pages of her novel.
In her writing, Thomas transported me to 1976 to a small farming community where life is simpl
Jamie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
There’s some books where I loved the book in such a way that I have a hard time putting it into words, so instead I want to just say “I loved this book, so read it kay?” Until the Harvest was one such book and it kept me up well past my bedtime. Oops. After this book from Sarah Loudin Thomas, I can say without a doubt I’ll read any book she writes.

I love that there’s a touch of the supernatural in her books.

I loved the relationship of Margaret and Henry from beginning to end.

I loved and adored M
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Loudin Thomas's first book, Miracle in a Dry Season, introduces us to the Phillips family. This book continues with that wonderful family. A tragedy in the family causes young Henry Phillips to reconsider continuing with his college studies. He is not at all sure about anything anymore and feels adrift. He loves his fiddle and considers music as his life's work, but then there's the family farm, his mother and grandmother.

Then there's Mayfair Hoffman, a preteen who has an unusual effect o
Savanna Kaiser
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This novel, much like the first in the series, has a unique style of story – a soft blend of faith amidst loss, pain, doubt, and sin. The rural community paints a sweet and realistic backdrop for the characters, each of whom have their own unique charm. It's a coming-of-age story for both Henry and Margaret, complete with its moments of bruises as well as blessings. It read like a journey, as any book worth its salt should.

However, it progressed at a slow pace for me. At times it felt like there
Diane  Pitts
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As we say in our community, "Set a spell. Pull up a chair." That's what it takes to enjoy every nuance of "Until the Harvest." And we don't want to miss a thing.
Sarah Loudin Thomas is a new Appalachian voice drawing us gently into a realm where time pauses, reflects, and teaches. Her debut novel, "Miracle in a Dry Season," introduced us to characters in Wise, a place where everyone knows folks. Or thinks they do. She artfully weaves the stories of Henry and Margaret with several generations of t
Ellen Gray
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book! The author deals with topics many young adults face. Margaret struggles with her identity and self worth. Henry is grieving and makes some unwise, and illegal, decisions. The book also introduces us to Mayfair, Margaret's younger sister. Mayfair is a shy girl but she is drawn to "help" certain people. Through Mayfair and her gift, Margaret begins to understand love and realize that family isn't limited to your blood relatives. Henry begins to see where he belongs and what is im ...more
Jill Kemerer
Until the Harvest is the second book by Sarah Loudin Thomas (the first, Miracle in a Dry Season, was one of my favorites!), and it centers around Henry, the son of Casewell and Perla, and Margaret, a plain but hardworking girl who works for his grandmother. The plot was rich with characters, and the West Virginia setting came alive. I identified with Margaret and her practical outlook on life, but I struggled to care for Henry because he made so many poor decisions. However, Henry's growth and M ...more
Leigh Ann
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this author, the story line and the entire Appalachian Blessing series...excellent read!
Cricket Muse
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Continuing with many of the same characters from the first book, the plot focuses on Henry, Perla and Casewell's son. Henry struggles with several major decisions and faces them with the help of friends and family. The introduction of Margaret and Mayfair add a satisfying depth of the different aspects of love and faith.
Jen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good flow, well developed characters set in West Virginia. This is a new to me author.
Teresa Parker
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blessings

We so often overlook the many blessings in our life to worry about things which the good Lord has told us will be taken care of! This is a rich and abundant book showing us what matters in life, Doing what our hearts desire and waiting on God's timing! Wonderful read!
ken somerset
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not very often can you find a series of books with no curse words of sex init. This is a series everyone should read. Great job of showing both male and female basic things we see in others but not ourself.
Do you have value as a person? Do you have a real purpose in life? Were you created with special.talents and abilities? This series will answer all those questions and more in a way that speaks from the Lord without being preachy or religious. Everyone needs to read these books with a open min
Jalynn Patterson
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Until the Harvest (Appalachian Blessings #2)

About the Book:

"Once in a while a new author...makes you sit up and take notice."--"Library Journal" When a family tragedy derails Henry Phillips's college studies, he's left unmoored and feeling abandoned. Although Henry tries to find escape in bad company, the only things that can tamp down his anger and grief are the family farm, his fiddle, and sweet but unusual pre-teen Mayfair Hoffman.

Unfortunately, Mayfair's older sister, Margaret, with the fre
Rhonda
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Closing the bedroom door, Margaret walked into the family room and found Henry standing with his head down and shoulders slumped. She'd heard he was in from college but hadn't seen him. Normally, she wouldn't be seeing him now. Emily always insisted on doing for herself over holidays so Margaret could be with her family. Not that she much enjoyed being with her family, except, of course, with Mayfair. Her sweet little sister was always a bright spot."
I was born in 1961 and so I was a young te
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
I fell in love with Sarah Loudin Thomas' writing with her debut novel Miracle in a Dry Season. The story centered around Casewell & Perla Phillips before they were married. I became so attached to the characters and looked forward to reading about what they had been up to since the closing chapter.

In Thomas' newest novel, Until the Harvest, we get to see where the people of Wise, West Virginia have been and continue our acquaintance with these complex citizens. The story begins on New Year's
Lisa Johnson
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Title: Until the Harvest
Author: Sarah Louden Thomas
Pages: 304
Year: 2015
Publisher: Bethany
My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.
The story is set in West Virginia in the year 1975 on the eve of 1976 when a family is devastated by the sudden death of Henry Phillips’ father. Now Henry, his sister Sadie and his mother Perla have to learn how to live without the man they loved. Sadie is a librarian in Ohio where she returns to after the funeral. Perla is trying to get Henry to return to college to finish his
Kav
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Until the Harvest is set in 1975-76 which makes it just on the cusp of being considered historical fiction (up to the end of the Vietnam War -- April 1975.) Though I found it to have a real 1930s vibe, perhaps because of the rural setting.

This is Book Two in the Appalachian Blessings series but reads well as a standalone. If you have read Miracle in a Dry Season you will recognize Perla and Casewell and that's where I ran into difficulties because the author really messes with my preconceived
Becky
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Last year, I read Sarah Loudin Thomas's Miracle in a Dry Season and fell in love with the beautiful prose, the characters (especially Casewell Phillips and Perla), and the little town of Wise, West Virginia. In Until the Harvest, readers return to Wise and specifically the Phillips family approximately 20 years after the events of Miracle in a Dry Season.

I had pretty high expectations going into Until the Harvest based on how much I loved Miracle in a Dry Season. These expectations were complete
Kathy
It’s hard to understand love, especially God’s love, when your parents have none for you. That was the case for Margaret Hoffman. She just didn’t get it because she had never seen it. So she was doing her best to make a way for herself and take care of her younger sister. She held a job, cleaning for Emily Phillips, and was able to move into a little house on her employer’s property.

Henry Phillips was more than halfway through college when tragedy hit his family. It left him confused about his
Kimberly
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Until the Harvest by Sarah Loudin Thomas is an awesome read, set in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia , in the 70's. The author takes us back to the town of Wise, where everyone knows everything about everyone else, or thinks that they do. Until the Harvest is part of the Appalachian Blessings series, but can also be read as a stand-alone book.

Margaret takes care of her younger sister, Mayfair, taking her with her to work. Margaret works as a helper for an elderly lady named Emily, who
Mary
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Until the Harvest" takes place in 1976. I didn't realize that this book had many of the characters we met in Sarah Loudin Thomas's first book, "Miracle in a Dry Season," until I was about halfway through it, which means it stands alone quite well.
The story mostly revolves around some college-aged kids that are struggling to find where they belong in life. Margaret comes from a dysfunction home, where she is more of a mother to her little sister, Mayfair, than her mom is. Margaret believes tha
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• What Once Was Lost
  • Sincerely Yours
  • All for a Sister (All For, #3)
  • In Golden Splendor (Heirs of Ireland, #2)
  • Hearts Made Whole (Beacons of Hope, #2)
  • What Chinese Want: Culture, Communism and the Modern Chinese Consumer
  • The Bull Rider’s Manager (Bull Rider, #2)
  • William Shakespeare and Others: Collaborative Plays
  • Healing the Soldier's Heart (Brides of Waterloo, #3)
  • Lady of a Thousand Treasures (The Victorian Ladies, #1)
  • Unseen: Angels, Satan, Heaven, Hell, and Winning the Battle for Eternity
  • The Cowboy's Bride
  • Mestengo: A Wild Mustang, a Writer on the Run, and the Power of the Unexpected
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • The Legend Awakes
  • Shielding the Suspect (Truman Brothers #2)
  • Hope Crossing: The Complete Ada's House Trilogy, includes The Hope of Refuge, The Bridge of Peace, and The Harvest of Grace
  • Shades of Mercy (Maine Chronicle, #1)
I’m a Christian, wife, fundraiser and writer living near Asheville, NC. I grew up on a 100-acre farm in French Creek, WV. I used to say “rural WV,” but realized that’s largely redundant. I LOVE my home state and the fact that I’m the seventh generation to grow up on the family farm. My love of the Appalachian Mountains informs my writing. I want you to be as wild about these hazy, blue mountains a ...more

Appalachian Blessings (3 books)
  • Miracle in a Dry Season (Appalachian Blessings, #1)
  • A Tapestry of Secrets (Appalachian Blessings, #3)