Start by marking “A Love Like Ours (Porter Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Love Like Ours (Porter Family, #3)

A Love Like Ours

(Porter Family #3)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,910 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews

Published May 5th 2015 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Love Like Ours, please sign up.
Becky Undeniably Yours is the first book in the series, Meant to Be Mine is the second book in the series, and A Love Like Ours is the third. Each novel…moreUndeniably Yours is the first book in the series, Meant to Be Mine is the second book in the series, and A Love Like Ours is the third. Each novel tells the love story of one of the Porter siblings, thus each one can stand alone. Thanks for asking!(less)

Alicia
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Becky Wade definitely knows how to write a good romance! I loved seeing Jake, a struggling veteran, slowly (though unwillingly) open up to life when Lyndie came along. It was so sweet and moving. Loved it!
Dawn
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Goodness, Jake Porter. It's no wonder Lyndie's madly in love with you.

Becky Wade is exceptionally talented when it comes to 1.) writing a worthwhile clean contemporary romance, 2.) introducing readers to very true-to-life, flawed, yet appealing characters, and 3.) making you sigh with her descriptions of the feelings of these characters.
Andrea Cox
May 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
by Andrea Renee Cox

The sexual content of this book shocked me. There were several mentions of "libido" and "testosterone" as well as sexual longing and dozens of inner heat reactions to a physical attraction to a member of the opposite sex. This book was heavily sensual throughout, which kept a sexual tension thick on nearly every page. This type of material is too edgy for solid Christian fiction.

The Lord's name was taken in vain at least twice. In addition, there were at minimum five expletive
Chantel
Ok, so a couple things happen after I read a book in the Porter Family series:
1. I have the urge to move Texas.
2. I want to marry a cowboy .
3. I want to own a horse ranch. :-)

I just love this whole series so far, it's been great getting a closer look at each member of the Porter family. I was always interested on how Becky Wade would write Jake and Lyndie's story. Since Jake kind of withdrew from everyone because of the tragedies he faced serving a marine, leaving scars inside and out.

I really l
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Former Marine Jake Porter has far deeper scars than the one that marks his face. He struggles with symptoms of PTSD, lives a solitary life, and avoids relationships.
When Lyndie James, Jake’s childhood best friend, lands back in Holley, Texas, Jake cautiously hires her to exercise his Thoroughbreds. Lyndie is tender-hearted, fiercely determined, and afraid of nothing, just like she was as a child. Jake pairs her with Silver Leaf, a horse full of promise but lacking in results, h
Emilee
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! I totally enjoyed every page of this book! Every book Becky writes is better than the last. That is saying a lot because I have loved everyone! She is truly blessed with a gift for writing. She brought Jake and Lyndie's story to life. The characters seem SO REAL! So much depth and emotion. The romance is passionate and sweet. I felt the pain and struggle and the heartache. I laughed out loud more than once! It's so much fun following the Porter family through this series. I hated for ...more
Jody Hedlund
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love Becky's books and this was no exception!
Faith
I'm kinda torn over a rating...RTC.

// updated

I waffled back and forth for a bit on my rating for this one.

On many points, I loved the book—so much. It was amazing and heartrending and oh-so good. I mean, c'mon, Jake is a broken Marine. (Need I say more?!)

I spent most of the book wanting to give it 5 stars—but wrinkled my nose at the suggestive lines that made me want to sling it across the room. (Metaphorically, of course, as I was reading on my iPad... *wink*)

So yes, there was some suggesti
Katie W
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love horses, but don't know a lot about them or about racing them. I was completely fascinated with that aspect of this story. Jake is a horse trainer, dealing with PTSD from his service with the Marines. Lyndie is a childhood friend who has returned and is eager to work for him as an exerciser. I found myself caught up in the world of racing and found myself cheering their horses on, especially Silver Leaf.

Mr. Tall, Dark, and Brooding...uh, I mean, Jake, is complex. His voice is full of desp
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this quote:
Loving someone wasnt about perfection. It was about coming to accept every part of them, their good qualities, and their weaknesses and flaws- looking on everything they were and loving it all.

Although this wasn't my favorite book of the Porter brothers, it was still a great read. It didn't make me laugh as much, but that was because this book really covered some difficult life situations. While some people consider Wade's books to be slightly "edgy," I find her writin
Hannah
4.5 stars.
I've been wanting to read this book for awhile and was thrilled when my library bought the ebook at my request. Lyndie and Jake are a perfect couple–she's patient and loving; he's damaged and having a hard time with survivor's guilt from his time in the Marines. I loved the details about horse training and racing, since I've always loved horses and wish I could spend time around some. And it was great to have appearances from Bo, Meg, Ty, Celia, and even Amber from the first book.
Cont
Amy
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The perfect indulgence for Valentine's Day! Being a horse lover for as long as I can remember, I had high hopes for this book, and Becky Wade not only did NOT disappoint, but served up her best book yet! Reuniting the Porter siblings with friends both old and new, Wade seamlessly blends threads of courage, sacrifice, hope, and family loyalty together with a double-dose of romance and a dash of "Seabiscuit"-style action to create a swoonworthy story that will leave you both cheering and weeping f ...more
Cara Putman
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect romance. A wounded hero. A heroine who just wants to help him. Horse racing. The heat of love. Horses. A great cast of secondary characters. Did I mention horses? :-)

This is a book that I adored. Lyndie just wants to help her childhood friend -- not an easy task when he's deeply wounded by what he experienced as a Marine in Iraq. He begrudgingly hires her to exercise his thoroughbreds. Neither knows what to expect of the other, but Lyndie believes Jake can be more than h
Tandie
Christian romance fail. MC is Mary Sue and I can't take another page. Hero is PTSD Iraq war vet, and she is on a mission to save him with Jesus. Her handicapped sister and counsellor/sunshine mother help with the Jesus chats. I know...I'm totally mean & awful, right?

I do like the kind of Christian romance where God and faith are incorporated into the story. Why are there so many non-stories that get all these glowing reviews just because they have "Jesus is the answer" as the main theme? Thi
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Caution: This book may cause sleep deprivation!
There are so many things I could say about this book! I could tell you how I loved every minute of it, or how the characters tumbled off the pages and straight into my heart, or how I wanted to cry for Jake, or how a year is way too long for me to wait for the next one . . . Many, many things I could say and I probably will end up saying before I’m finished. In case the 5 stars didn’t clue you in, I adored this book! After reading Becky’s very first
Amber Stokes
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Combine a childhood friendship, a bubbly heroine with a deep love of art and animals, a solemn hero with a gentle little boy living inside, a stubborn horse with plenty of racing potential, and a delightful cast of secondary characters. What do you get? A whole lotta sweet!

Younger brother Jake Porter stars in this third book of the Porter Family series. He has his work cut out for him when a lovely and lively vision from his past returns to Texas, especially when he harbors hurt from the way the
Anna Hurtt
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this story! In my opinion, this is Becky's best book yet.

This author has a knack for creating characters that are so darn likable that they leap off the page and into your heart. Lyndie is such a great character. I'm kinda disappointed that I can't swing by her apartment and see her art or have one of her coffee creations. For me, she stole the whole book.

Lyndie and Jake's friendship-turning-to-romance was so sweet and fun to read. I kept waiting for the point that I would l
Staci
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A Love Like Ours is the third book in the Porter Family Series. This was Jake's story. Jake is a marine with PTSD. I really liked how Becky didn't make PTSD seem all roses at any point in the story.

I enjoyed watching the romance blossom as the novel progressed. A couple of side characters added a lot to the story: Amber (that we met in Undeniably Yours) and Karen.

I look forward to the series continuing with Dru's story.

A Love Like Ours is recommended for fans of Contemporary Romance.
Carole Jarvis
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For the enjoyment and redemptive factors, I couldn't help but give A Love Like Ours 5 stars. Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://tinyurl.com/pk4n8bj

Becky Wade has an enjoyable writing style that is lyrical, romantic, heartwarming, with delightful elements of humor thrown in at just the right moment. I don't think I'll ever come across one of Becky's books that doesn't touch me in some way, but I found A Love Like Ours especially moving, even to the point of tears at times - and that's rare fo
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Becky Wade gives us the third book in her Porter family series. This one features Jake Porter, former Marine who suffers from PTSD. Suffers so much from it that it seriously hinders his life.

Lyndie James is back in Holley, Texas after moving from there to California as a preteen. She and Jake had been best friends until she moved away. Jake hires her to exercise his Thoroughbreds against his better judgement.

Will Lyndie's optimism and happy spirit help Jake come out of the darkness he's been l
Melanie
Review on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1HKBGtH
Review on my blog: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

A Love Like Ours was another special read from Becky Wade. I loved the characters and finally reading Jake's story...which was such a sad, yet beautiful story.

I loved seeing the growth of the characters -- not just Jake, but Lyndie too. I also loved all the scenes with Ty and Celia (MC from Meant To Be Mine). Another enjoyable thing about A Love Like Ours was the Thoroughbred aspect. It was interes
Katie Marie
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
To all my contemporary romance fans, this is a fantastic book and I believe you will enjoy it!! Though I know everyone has different opinions. I have read every book Becky Wade has ever written & I do believe this one is now my favorite of them all. Jake Porter is a former marine & a very wounded hero in "A Love Like Ours" but I suppose that is what was endearing about him to me. He was terrified of what he couldn't control. Such as people getting hurt on his watch. Yet, he had a vulnera ...more
Beth
Full review to come! Sweet, uplifting story with believable characters and an endearing romance! I'm really enjoying Becky's books. :)

A Love like Ours is the second novel of Becky’s that I’ve read, and I certainly was not disappointed! Although I haven’t read the second book in the Porter family series (yet!), I didn’t have any trouble falling back in to their family and enjoying their dynamics. While I typically don’t associate many books with seasons, if ever there was a book that should be re
Madison
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You know from the very first line that this book is going to be a romance. A toe-curling, glee-inducing romance. A romance based on friendship. A romance that suffers hard times. A swoon-worthy, quote-worthy, I-wish-that-was-me romance. And it delivers.

Tall dark and brooding describes Jake Porter to a tee. Retired Marine and now a racehorse trainer, his dark past and haunting memories have swallowed up all the joy and hope in his life. When Lyndie, his childhood best friend, returns to Holley, T
Rina
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
We finally get to meet tall, dark and brooding Jake Porter! And he is that. Tall. Dark. And brooding. For two books now, Undeniably Yours and Meant to Be Mine, we’ve gotten bits and pieces of his story. And this book doesn’t disappoint.

Even though this is Jake’s story in the Porter Family Novels series, Lyndie is who I remember best. She’s fun, determined, stubborn, creative, caring, strong. The list goes on. She's exactly who Jake needs. He just doesn't want to accept that fact. Her character t
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This is an amazing book. The characters and their interactions felt so real. The prologue perfectly shows the unique and special relationship between Jake and Lyndie as well as their individual personalities, which made me feel like I knew the characters immediately, even though Jake is so different as an adult because of his trauma. Lyndie trusts that he is the same person deep down, and the strength of her faith is counterpoint to Jake's hopelessness and despair. There is so much desire in him ...more
Haley S
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A while back, I reviewed My Stubborn Heart. What does that have to do with this book? My Stubborn Heart and A Love Like Ours are my two favorite Becky Wade books. (However, True to You is pretty much a top of the list too.)
I really liked both of the main characters, Jake and Lyndie. Their story is really sweet. I love the fact that Jake trains horses and Lyndie rides them.
I would like to point out that this book should be read by mature readers due to Jake’s PTSD. If you are looking for a not-as
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I honestly love this series. I'm always anxiously awaiting the next book and the chance to read and review it. This is one of my favorite Christian Fiction series.

Jake is a tough nut to crack. Because of the horrific events surrounding his military service, Jake suffers from PTSD. In order to keep it all together, he has hardened himself and built walls of protection. It's how he copes. But, Lyndie has loved Jake forever and she is determined to find a way in and make Jake love her again.

I love
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I loved:
The complex characters. I love that Becky Wade didn't treat PTSD as an "easy fix" where Jake finds love and suddenly has no issues/problems.
I really liked Lyndie. She's strong and independent.
I LOVED seeing the characters from the two earlier books in the series--catching up with old friends.
I thought the faith element was solid and added to the story.

What I didn't like:
Ty is described throughout the series as very good looking. However, in this book, he is married. YET, Lyndie's f
Lyn
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another Texas Porter Family story and again Becky Wade does not disappoint.

This is a reunion story. Childhood friends come back together after a decade apart. Now the guy Jake is a war hero, wounded in body and spirit. The heroine Lyndie now exercises horses and needs a job at Jake's brother's thoroughbred ranch. Jake doesn't want to hire her. Seeing her makes him feel things he doesn't want to feel.

But in the end, she begins working at the horse farm and soon he finds that she wants to not only
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 20, 2015 11:26AM
  • From the Start (Walker Family, #1)
  • The Wishing Season (Chapel Springs, #3)
  • The Wonder of You (Christiansen Family, #5)
  • How to Catch a Prince (Royal Wedding, #3)
  • Somebody Like You
  • Together with You
  • A Broken Kind of Beautiful
  • Back in the Saddle (Double S Ranch, #1)
  • Now and Forever (Wild at Heart, #2)
During her childhood in California, Becky frequently produced homemade plays starring her sisters, friends, and cousins. These plays almost always featured a heroine, a prince, and a love story with a happy ending. She's been a fan of all things romantic ever since.

Becky and her husband lived overseas in the Caribbean and Australia before settling in Dallas, Texas. It was during her years abroad t

Porter Family (4 books)
  • Undeniably Yours (Porter Family, #1)
  • Meant to be Mine (Porter Family, #2)
  • Her One and Only (Porter Family, #4)
“Where there's God, there's hope," she said. "And where there's hope, there can be healing.” 11 likes
“Loving someone wasn't about their perfection. It was about coming to accept every part of them, their good qualities at their weaknesses and flaws--looking on everything they were and loving it all.

As she looked on everything Jake was, right down to his center, she loved him.”
7 likes