Start by marking “The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1)

The Sin Eater’s Daughter

(The Sin Eater’s Daughter #1)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  13,546 ratings  ·  2,508 reviews
Librarian's Note: Alternate-cover edition for ISBN10: 0545810620 / ISBN13: 9780545810623

I am the perfect weapon.
I kill with a single touch.

Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has its price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.

Only Lief, an
Hardcover, US, 320 pages
Published February 24th 2015 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sin Eater’s Daughter, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rachel Although it annoys me thinking that she would forgive him it is most likely lief because when twylla hears the knock she says she should feel hate and…moreAlthough it annoys me thinking that she would forgive him it is most likely lief because when twylla hears the knock she says she should feel hate and anger, but because she still loves him feels hope.(less)

·  13,546 ratings  ·  2,508 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Setting: the Yellow Brick Road

Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion are merrily on their way to Emerald City. Dorothy stops.

Dorothy: Do you hear that noise? It sounds like someone's crying! Look over there, that poor book!

Everyone stops at the side of the road, there's a book discarded, pages torn out.

Dorothy: Oh, no! What happened, book? Why did someone throw you away?!

The book is openly sobbing, they can hear the sound of uncontrollable weeping. Its own ink is ruining the
Katerina
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I did it! I did it people, I finally finished it! Woohoo!

It took me months. Months. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that bad. In fact, I had very high expectations and the story seemed very promising, but there were some factors that prevented me from enjoying it (although the second half was way better than the first).

1. Do you see this gorgeous cover? With the girl contained in a vial? That is exactly the feeling I got while reading The Sin Eater’s Daughter. I felt claustrophobic, Twylla's life
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
I think the last trilogy I read with the same format of different main character in each book is the Graceling trilogy. I am curious to see how the story will move forward, and I understand why the main character has to change in the next book. The ending of this book with these characters unraveled a whole plot but the plot doesn’t take effect with these characters so it makes sense that the location and characters have to change in the next book.

The book is definitely focused on the romance as
Sana
I love the feeling of absolute enjoyment and surprise from a book that I went in expecting to hate because of the extremely low ratings. The Sin Eater’s Daughter isn't the greatest book to exist and has its flaws, but it isn't necessarily horrible either.

MAJOR UNMARKED SPOILERS BECAUSE I NEED TO SCREAM ABOUT IT.

GOOD THINGS:
●Oh my god, y'all the world building is absolutely incredible. It has a huge religious/mythological aspect to it and it's incredibly well written. This world is dark, dangero
Brigid
Oct 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to tonight's special 2 hour long episode of The Young and The Poisonous: a dramatic reading.

*Dramatic music*

ANNOUNCEMENT: THIS RADIO SHOW HAS NOW BEEN CANCELED BECAUSE THE PRODUCERS FEEL IT INFLUENCES OTHERS TO BE TSTL DOORMATS. THIS IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. BUT, THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE. DEAL WITH IT.

shuffles papers *shuffling noises*

Clears voice. Continues yelling in the way reporters often do:

HERE IS THEIR LIST OF REASONS!!! I WILL BE READING FROM ONE OF THE PRODUCER'S THOUGHTS ON THE M
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This freaking book! The freaking Queen is an evil jerk! How in the world can I review this without telling all of the evil things she has done and it's still not the half of it!

Okay, poor old Twylla is told she is a Daunen Embodied - has to do with gods and stuff. She's supposedly poisonous to the touch and she's the Queen's Executioner. The King doesn't ever have too much to say, but he does like to hear Twylla sing. The Queen wears the pants in the family!

And the Queen has a son from her pre
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
I swear to god, this sounds like a high fantasy Shatter Me, or am I crazy.
description

I need a moment so I can process what I just read...
description

I absolutely fell in love with Salisbury writing style. I think it fits perfectly with this awesome high fantasy story. I could see the castle and the court and also their downfall so vivid on my mind, it was pretty great.

The plot was, at times, predictable but I learned quickly that Salisbury has this thing that, it doesn't matter if you know what's going to happen, it still surprises the hell out of you. That's what happened to me.

So, we have
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Shit. Shitshitshitshitshitshit. WHY?!? I didn't see it coming, man. I feel so....it's just..I'm so....UGH! I can't say without..it's like...when my review comes closer to the release, my feels will be released.

Just one thing:
I really did

Happy Waiting
Simona Bartolotta
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Simona by: Nastassja
"I know all about souls. Before I became Daunen Embodied, I was the Sin Eater’s daughter."

People, don't be fooled by the low average rating (by which I am exceedingly baffled): this book is utterly, absolutely, deliciously unique and splendid. I devoured it.

•The very first chapters are a bit misleading; they make for a low-profile start, leading the readers to think they're in front of no unusual YA. Around chapter three or four, though, things radically change: the world building, especial
Maria Kaye
**1 disappointing star**

[edited 3 April: added a bit more stuff and changed some of the wording]

This book. Sigh. Where to start? The Sin Eater's Daughter was a very disappointing read. It tells the story of Twylla, Daunen Embodied - a daughter of a god who brings life and another that brings death. Twylla's touch is "deadly" and her skin emits a poison that kills slowly. She is Lormere's executioner. That's it! She doesn't go on a journey or anything or leave the castle let alone kingdom. Sh
Nastassja
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark fairy tales
Recommended to Nastassja by: Katerina Kondrenko

Actual rating: 3.5

“That's the problem with fairy tales, they change with the telling.”

Dark, gripping, elusive, multilayered, painful, real. This is how one writes a dark fairy tale.

Three days ago when I first opened The Sin Eater's Daughter, had I known it'd become one of those books that will capture my attention and surprise me in a best way possible? No, I did not. When you expect nothing from a book and get in the end everything you dreamed of, it's a kind of revelation. This book feels mag

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
4.5 Stars

WHAT.DID.I.JUST.READ??? I CANNOT, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, COMPREHEND THE FULL DEPTH & AWESOMENESS OF THIS BOOK.

IT'S JUST TOO MUCH.....

description

But, ooh, WOW, what an heartbreaking, handshaking, mind racing, tear falling, emotional, BOMBSHELL of all book!!

THE SIN EATER'S DAUGHTER IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!

description

I NEED book 2 like I need air in my lungs!!!

It's KILLING ME not having it!!

NOW EXCUSE ME AS I SWOON OVER IT'S AWESOMENESS:

I LOVED THIS BOOK!

From it's unique and original plot, to it'
Alyssa
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
Book One of The Sin Eater's Daughter series
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Rating: 2 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she’s engaged to the prince, Twylla isn’t exactly a member of the court.

She’s the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she
Dannii Elle
Twylla was born to eat the sins of the dead. She was raised to follow her mother in this role until the Queen found their humble dwellings and invited her into the high society of the royal palace. Here, however, she lives a life just as secluded as before. Previously she was to rid the sins of others, now she is to enact the sins that would see any other cast out of the gods' favour, as she is placed in the role of the Duanen Embodied and graced by the gods to kill with a single touch. As royal ...more
Paige  Bookdragon
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one.
EDITED REVIEW

Warning:
description

To be totally honest, I was hoping this would be like Graceling, The Poison Study,The Throne of Glass and the Fair Assassin series. When I saw the cover and the title, I thought it would be a bad ass YA Fantasy.You know, with a lot of:

•ass kicking :

•sword fighting
description

•character’s running for their lives

•some poisons involved
description

•sarcasm (preferably between the hero and the heroine)

•magical powers

•an assassin
description

•a good secondary character/ sidekick
description

•a very very evil villain

•mor
Sophia Sardothien
Official Ratings 2.5 stars

This is an 2.0 review

I have such high expectations for this book. REALLY HIGH

AHAHA this book miserably failed me.

It has a remarkable resemblance with shatter me which I love a lot.

- The girl has a touch that could kill people
- A fine love triangle which is not interesting at all

HOWEVER what's different in this book is that it's BORING BORING BORING and there's no fluffy cute Warner.

I felt like nothing happen until late 80%, which the plot in this book is not
Masooma
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Daunen Embodied/Twylla of the powerful kingdom of Lormere. She is the incarnation of the daughter of the Gods, divinely blessed to stay immune to the poison rushing in her veins but anyone around her is not safe from her touch, her touch can kill and it has, therefore, executed several criminals of the kingdom. In the turbulent times, Daunen is seen as a blessing of the Gods, a symbol of hope in the darkness of despair, a measure for the stability of the kingdom.

Originally t
Giselle
I was pretty wary of this one since it was getting tons of mixed reviews. People were either loving it or disliking it, so I'm happy to say I'm somewhere in the middle.. I liked certain parts and disliked others.

As soon as I started I knew most would get turned off by the massive info dumping from the first few chapters. I don't mind these, they're telling you exactly what is up with the world and it sets up the story. Obviously, I would rather have a story unravel in bits and pieces where the m
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

The Sin Eater's Daughter came with a lot of promise but in the end, turned out to be a waste of my time.

Twylla, the book's heroine literally does nothing in this book. She sits there in that sad little corner of her's and she sulks and complains about her life. I mean, YOU WERE MEANT TO BE THIS BADASS CHICK WITH HELLA SCARY POWERS. What the hell happened to that? I am disappoint. Furthermore, the instant-love in this one is horrid, guys. I cannot with it. The
Alafiya
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Awesome cover, awesome book Not so awesome book!

This book is a bad fairy tale.

A hundred sad emoticons aren't enough to portray how disappointed I am. The cover lured me. But ya'll know what they say, Don't judge a book by it's cover. The story revolves around Twylla (what a pathetic name, eh?)
who is the if-ya-touch-ma-poisonous-skin-ya'll-gonna-get-poisoned-and-die Daunen Embodied (what a pathetic title, eh?) who is starting to fall for her new guard while she is supposed to marry the princ
Nasom
Full Review

I'm not sure about this one. Unique concept but not that captivating

What I liked
- I liked the idea of this book. A girl whose mother is a sin eater (someone that ‘eats’ the sins of people that died to make sure they find peace in the after life. Each sin is represented by a particular food item so by the food represented, you know what types of sins the person committed) and the girl herself becomes ‘Daunen Embodied’ which is someone who is blessed by the gods and has the ability
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I had exceedingly high hopes for The Sin Eater's Daughter, what with that stunning cover and a synopsis that sounded beyond awesome. And while I do think that summary is a bit misleading, this novel went above and beyond my expectations.

Salisbury's debut is magnificent in its exploration of a desperate kingdom, where fairy tal
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I don't even know. I liked this, but wtf. Merek deserves better.
Leaving off a rating for now.

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy
Cee (The Mistress Case)
If touch can kill, The Sin Eater’s Daughter can kill . . . because I want to die of disappointment.

I expected something else. I pictured something else.

Not this.

I hate this book— and I’m not sure if that’s my way of liking it by showing a negative affection. For certain, I’m not feeling any love for the book. I don’t even know if I want to read the next book.

1) I don’t like the characters.

Let’s call the protagonist “T-Ball.” She annoys me. The only time I remotely liked her was when she went thr
Katrin D
Full review available at: my blog
__________________________________

In the stories of old, a hero is the one who sweeps in with drawn sword and noble face, to kill the dragon and free the princess. In the stories of old it never seems to dawn on the princess that she should be careful not to put herself at the mercy of those who would do her ill in the first place. I don’t live in the stories of old.

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT!

This book's opening is one of the strongest I have ever read. Normall
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
After some thinking, I came to, not dislike all the characters as much in this. I still think the MC and the two love interests are rather on the bland side, but ok. Plus, the plot twists were unexpected which doesn't happen to me all that often by now. The storytelling and especially the world building is AMAZING! I love the feel of a darker fairy tale! Also, book two is so much better in terms of the characters.

My rating of The Sin Eater’s Daughter series:

The Sin Eater’s Daughter ★★★☆☆ (2.75/
Rashika (is tired)
This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Actual Rating 4.5

This book though. It is so deliciously intense and I cannot help but want to jump up and down with equal parts excitement and fear. There is so much I want to say about this book but so much I cannot say without spoiling certain things.

For starters though, I would like to commend Melinda on her geniusness. Seriously. She is super clever and I just want to, I don’t know, do something to let her know how much I appreciate her c
Molly Mortensen
I feel I should apologize before this review. It’s such a mess. I’m not sure how I feel about this book. I wanted to love it. I mean look at that cover! And that blurb! It sounds so awesome! But the book I got wasn’t the book I expected. It’s good, don’t get me wrong, but it wasn’t as epically amazing as I wanted it to be.

The Sin Eater’s Daughter was more of a romance set in a made up medieval kingdom than a fantasy.

The Good:

The religion building. I would say world, but though we know about Lor
Gavin
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books
This was a slow paced, but weirdly engaging, YA fantasy/fairytale. There was little in the way of action, but the story had plenty of intrigue, suspense, and romance. The world building was basic, but good enough. It was set in a traditional fantasy-style kingdom, but had plenty of fairytale elements.

Twylla was once The Sin Eater's Daughter before destiny chose her to be Daunen Embodied and she was plucked from her simple village life to live in the palace and become the betrothed of the Crown

• When My Heart Was Wicked
  • The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)
  • Deep Water
  • Countless
  • Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld, #1)
  • Monstrous (Monstrous, #1)
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • The Shattered Court (The Four Arts, #1)
  • Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
Melinda Salisbury lives by the sea, somewhere in the south of England. As a child she genuinely thought Roald Dahl’s Matilda was her biography, in part helped by her grandfather often mistakenly calling her Matilda, and the local library having a pretty cavalier attitude to the books she borrowed. Sadly she never manifested telekinetic powers. She likes to travel, and have adventures. She also lik ...more

The Sin Eater’s Daughter (3 books)
  • The Sleeping Prince (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #2)
  • The Scarecrow Queen (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #3)
“How could there be different Gods, Lief?"

"I don't believe there are any at all," he says quietly. "But I believe there are men and women whose lives are made easier by believing someone is watching over them.”
30 likes