Start by marking “Ever Darkening (Darkening Light #1)” as Want to Read:
Ever Darkening (Darkening Light #1)

Ever Darkening

(Darkening Light #1)

Perfection. Goodness. Elimination of evil. It's what seventeen-year-old Kaylyn has trained her entire life to achieve. But no one is prepared for the consequences of her actually defeating all evil people on the planet. Finally successful in her mission, Kaylyn faces an unfamiliar world, full of good people doing good things, in which she no longer has purpose.

Published January 28th 2015 by Chardonian Press (first published January 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ever Darkening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever Darkening

Start your review of Ever Darkening (Darkening Light #1)
Anne

I'm a big fan of Falor's other books, but this one just didn't cut it.
There was almost zero world-building, and even at the end of it, I'm still not sure where their magic came from, how they used it, why they believed what they believed, or pretty much...anything else.
Fantastic cover, though!

Kaylyn is the warrior who was chosen by her people's elders to become THE champion for good.
Their goal? Eradicate evil!
Because, evidently, either you're good or you're evil. There's no gray area in this world.
I think this was one of the many things that need
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Janeal Falor, Chardonian Press, and NetGalley.)

“Being the one chosen to kill the entire evil population is a burden heavier than sin.”

I feel a little torn over this book, because I’ve read Janeal Falor’s books in the past, and I think she has a real gift for telling a story, but this book just didn’t do it for me.

Kaylyn was an okay character, and I did get glimpses of a girl I could have liked, but most of the time she was soNetGalley.)
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I received this ARC by Chardonian press via Netgalley

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!

description

Oh my goodness! I was not expecting such an epic story!

Seriously:

description

This probably has to be one of the best Fantasy books I've read this month!

ijustcan'tfunctionrightnow! *Sputters, gush and cough* Okay sorry for the fan-girl moment.

Kaylyn has been trained her whole limonth!
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
ThisNetgalley
THIS
Jo
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Janeal Falor excels at world-building. She created a fantastic world in You Are Mine, and now she has created a layered and intricate world in Ever Darkening. It is an interesting premise - what do you do when all the evil in the world is gone? Kaylyn must face this reality until she realizes that evil has bleed into nature since there are no more evil human beings. There were a few quibbles with the story. Th
Abbie
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

This was an okay read, but I didn't like it as much as the authors other book, You Are Mine.

Kaylyn wasn't a bad character, but I couldn't warm to her enough to really like her.

The pacing in this was pretty slow, especially in the first half. The first half seemed to be more about Kaylyn thinking about how much she liked Jorrin, but couldn't have him because of Marsa's feelings for him. It got quite a
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, author, review
Thanks to Janeal Falor for giving me this book to review.

Kaylyn has spent all of her life training to kill Malryx, the evil people in the world. However, when she finishes her mission, she has no idea what to do next as she has no other purpose and no other skills. A stranger from another village claims that the sky is growing darker and the animals are acting strangely. Kaylyn is more than happy to help and sets out on a quest to find out what is happening with her childhood friends
Camly Nguyen

*sigh* Badly written love story.

This is what the story was supposed to be:

Kaylyn was trained to exterminate all the Malryx on the surface of the Earth, but no one was prepared for the consequences of her actually defeating all evil on the planet. When she did, it created a terrible unbalance in the society and now, she doesn't have a lot of choices left. She has to bring the Malryx back.

Sounds exciting right?

This is what it really was:

Kaylyn lov
Marjolein
Full review to come!
Rachmi

ARC was provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

I'm conflicted now. I liked things in this book as much as disliked other things in the story.

I liked the writing, obviously. It flows smoothly and so clear I can picture the worldbuilding and everything in the story easily. And not to mention that it has perfect pace. There is a room for slow thing as well as things that made my heart beat fast.

I also liked the unknown feeling tha/>ARC
Skaistė
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many of the stories focus on good guys fighting bad ones. But what if that battle was finally over? What if all the evil enemies were defeated? Have you ever wondered about that? Would it really be that good to achieve it? That's the question this book is dealing with. And that was the answer I was eager to know.

I liked the idea of it. I got intrigued chapter after chapter. One strange event followed the other, there were more and more unanswered questions, more and more inner battle
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:
I received this book for free from Netgalley, Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This was a very  interesting idea for a book, but the execution was lacking.

Kaylyn lives in a world where You are either good or evil and there is no middle ground.  I think the author was trying to make a statement and show that sometimes things aren't that black and white, but it didn't come acroslacking.
Cee (The Mistress Case)
**ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for review**

Imagine you’re a child who bears a heavy burden to take out an evil race.

I’m here to inform you “burden” is an understatement. A big understatement.

Ever Darkening tells a story of Kaylyn’s destiny as a Zophas, a fighter against Malryx, using her Zophasken power. She is seventeen when there’s only one last Malyrx who goes by the name of Morphac. Once he’s eliminated, her life mission will come to an end and she will be/>Ever
kariny v
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
*i received a free ARC from netgallery*

Goodreads Summary 3 STARS

When the skies grow dark, and a stran
pearl.
*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

I wanted to like this book so much! That being said, there were a lot of things that I did enjoy about Ever Darkening, but the book, as a whole, just didn't do it for me.

What I enjoyed:

The book was fast-paced. Ever Darkening is a quick read jam-packed with action. There wasn't a moment in the book that was without conflict, tension, or forbidden romance.

Chapter 7. Chapter 7 was a fantastic piece of story-telling. The eeriness of the forest frightened me, I shared the unease of the charactromance.
Chapterenjoyed:
The
Katy H
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Katy by: David Estes and Y.A. Lovers Unite, Janeal Falor
*I was gifted a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review through the David Estes and Y.A. Lovers Unite group on Goodreads*

First of all I have to say, I didn't even read the synopsis for this - I saw the author's name and and immediately signed up. I'm a big fan of Ms. Falor's Mine series so I knew I was likely to enjoy this and I was right. (I love it when that happens...)

It was quite a bit different from the Mine series (though still high fantasy) but that just shows vers
Rachel
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

WOW. I did not think I would like this book so much!!

In a classic tale of good versus evil, Kaylyn has been trained her entire life to eliminate the evil Malryx of the world. But when she finally accomplishes all she has set out to do, Kaylyn has no purpose left in a world without evil. Then the skies gets darker and a stranger arrives and reports strange happenings occurring in his village. Kaylyn i
Angelique The Gilded Pages
I would like to thank Netgalley and Chardonian Press for granting me access to this copy in exchange for an honest review. This one was an extremely quick read. Overall i enjoyed it. There were some things I had issues with, but not enough to make me hate the book.

The plot is original. A young girl is picked to rid the world of all evil with the help of her energy. But, when all the evil is gone, it causes something even more sinister to appear.

Read the full review at: http://angreads.blogspot.com
Katie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, 2-stars
(I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley on a read-to-review basis. This review can also be found on my blog)

** Technically 1.5 stars ** This book had so much promise but did not even come close to realizing its potential. From a barely fleshed out world to weak and nearly unlikable characters, I barely know where to start.

First, the good (aka: what saved this book from a much deserved 1 star). Essentially the strength in this book lies almost entirely in the po/>**
roxi Net
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this novel; I'm not sure if I read it fast because I couldn't put it down, or because it was a bit short; either way, I had a lot of fun reading it and found it a bit surprising as well.

Kaylyn, an incredibly sweet character (for being brought up as a warrior), has been trained to eliminate all evil from her land - and she succeeds easily with her band of warriors. This success is shortlived as she becomes aware of a strange darkness that's spreading through the land and cannot
Lillian
I received an advanced copy of this ebook from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.

My Initial Reaction to this Book:

So yeah, I'm torn on loving this book and being a tad confused. Ever Darkening is just that, an extremely dark and twisted fantasy adventure. What it essentially boils down to though is a story of good vs. evil and the natural balance of the
Katherine Paschal
Kaylyn has been chosen to be the Zopha to end the evilness of their region, to destroy all the Malryx from the world. While hunting the last evil being, her adoptive mother/ clan leader is murdered, devastating Kaylyn. After the Malyrxs destruction, Kaylyn is no longer needed and has to accept a new role with her people. While trying to figure out where she now fits, a stranger comes to her town asking for help from a new threat. Kaylyn and her friends are eager to provide assistance but don't u ...more
Carl Schierhorn
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
“Ever Darkening” essentially asks the question: “What happens to a kick-butt heroine when there’s no butt left to kick.”
It’s an interesting question. Unfortunately the answer is awfully sluggish in coming.
I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. I’d rate it about three stars.
The book opens with Kaylyn – the “chosen one” of a group of Zopha warriors – killing the last of the evil Malryx – apparently the only truly bad beings in the world. Her victory is su
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Karla
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
This books is awesome and totally one of my favorites, I loved it! Going into the story, I was so confused and had no idea what it was going to really be about. To me, the synopsis was vague and while I went blind into this story, I'm glad I came out loving it! And I'm also glad the cover caught my eye and I had to read it, especially since I had read a previous book from this author.

In my opinion, by the end of it, it was still a little confusing. Especially with the whole deal of Malryx
Michelle
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
My Review:
I was very excited to read this new book from Janeal Falor, I am a big fan of her Mine series and was looking forward to what story she had to tell next. The concept of this book was interesting however I was just a little confused about the entire world this took place in. The main character Kaylyn destroyed the last evil in the world and now the world was only made up of good. But of course you can’t have good without evil so the world needs balance and it creates evil. I was confu
Angelina
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Fable's Library

I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

As a result of killing off the worlds last evil, a new kind of darkness is born and it's up to Kaylyn and the Zophas to figure out what is exactly happening. The Zophas are born to do good, and trained to destroy evil so its only natural that they help a neighboring village with the problem of something deadly growing in the woods.

For me, Ever Darkeni
Poulami
Full reviews can be found in Daydreaming Books

**I received a digital copy of this book from the author via Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.**

Ever Darkening had a lot of potential but it felt flat for me. I didn’t quite enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

The story is about a girl named Kaylyn. She is a part of the Zophas, they possess a special kind of power through their Zophasken, i.e. they have ability to detect whether they are close to good or evil. They are all trained fr/>**I
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Okay, so... I actually have some mixed feelings about this book. I've wavered over how many stars to give it... but the four stars come from how I felt by the end of the book.

Although I didn't like seeing yet another love triangle, the fact that it was a guy and two girls involved meant it was somewhat more bearable... even if there were times I wanted to shake Ka
Kerr
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
description

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Published: January 2015

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

I'm completely behind the balance theory within this book. That being said this is probably the first time - ever - that a love triangle has actually been IMPORTANT to the plot (even if we all saw it coming there...).

Honestly, while the second half of the blurb put me off, the first part, reminded me strongly of what "The Operative" (played by Chiwetel Ej
Laura Greenwood
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

Title: Ever Darkening
Author: Janeal Falor
From: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 28th January 2015
Challenges: 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Kaylyn's whole purpose in life has been to defeat evil. But now she's done that things aren't quite right still. Fetched to a village close to their own where darkness is over taking things, Kaylyn tries to figure o
« previous 1 3 next »
Janeal Falor lives in Utah with her husband and three children. In her non-writing time she teaches her kids to make silly faces, cooks whatever strikes her fancy, and attempts to cultivate a garden even when half the things she plants die. When it's time for a break she can be found taking a scenic drive with her family or drinking hot chocolate.

Darkening Light (2 books)
  • Savage Light (Darkening Light #2)