Start by marking “Oversee God's People: Shepherding the Flock Through Administration and Delegation” as Want to Read:

(Practical Shepherding)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  74 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Bible gives instruction to those called to church leadership, challenging them to shepherd God’s people by exercising oversight. But what does that mean? And how is it done in a way that is faithful to God and effective in enabling growth, individually and corporately?

The Practical Shepherding series of guides provides pastors and ministry leaders with practical help t
Published August 4th 2015 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Oversee God's People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oversee God's People

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Oversee God's People: Shepherding the Flock Through Administration and Delegation
Josh
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Good stuff. Simple, but some really helpful, 5 star paragraphs throughout.
scott meadows
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
A clear and concise little introduction to Church Administration with a heart for the souls of your church without ignoring the importance of running a business.

Does not dive deep into how to go about the little details of each topic but at least gives you a working knowledge and vocabulary to think more about such topics/issues as they arise.
George Marshall
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book with bountiful good advice on picking up the leadership mantel within the church. Sometimes it was unclear whether the context was a staff-led church or an elder-led church, but I felt the authors still did a great job of illuminating the role of pastors and pushing toward shared leadership and ministry.

Later chapters are increasingly filled with suggestions that have little biblical underpinning, but are reasonable concerns in our modern church context. Earlier chapters are much
Ian Minielly
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
I give Croft and Butler four stars for this addition to the Practical Shepherding series. I give the book huge props for being brief and quick as it covers this topic. I give it only four stars because I did not really gain anything new compared to other books on this same topic. I might recommend this book over other larger books because of its brevity though. I look forward to finishing the other PS books in the series.
Jonathan Roberts
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, own, pastoring
Another great book by the crew at Practical Shepherding, making the case that administrative work is shepherding work. This was a great reminder for me and one I put into immediate practice. Being a new pastor with a building in need of constant maintenance it is hard to see how it blesses the people, this book reminds us it does. It also lays out lots of ground work for good administration work. Highly recommended
Brian
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short and efficient, with excellent Biblical references. Some of the martial will be familiar if you've read Croft's other Practical Shepherding books, but overall this is a good addition to the growing list of Practical Shepherding resources. It'd a be a great resource for Elders to study together. ...more
Taylor Sines
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great baseline guide for theological/administrative vision for the pastor and his responsibilities. Helpful for new pastors and longtime pastors who need a fresh reminder of what they need to focus on most.
Nate Mason
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is short, it is packed with nuggets of practical information. Since it is easy to read, it is ideal for lay leaders and lay pastors in a church.
Andrew
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very helpful resource for pastors to have on hand. Though brief, the authors cover many topics dealing with administration and delegation.
Jim Savastio
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and practical!
Shaun Lee
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found the book to be a rather enjoyable read! I felt the love the authors had for the sheep and the shepherds (in contrast to other authors' love for their pockets in their writing of yet another useless self-justifying book of their opinionated practices). The content was easily comprehensible and engaging enough to read large chunks at a go. The references were Scripture were helpful and I did not find myself being jolted by any weird out of context citing that typically plagues books on pra ...more
Jason
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
It's not that this book is poorly written, but that's it's so general that I'm not certain who would truly gain from reading it.

I suppose a church planter looking for an aerial view of what an oversee does could glean from the chapter titles and headings.

For a book that costs more than $10 we should get more than a summary of the outline.
Pete Williamson
A quick read. Does a good job of mapping out the responsibilities of the pastor and providing several useful little nuggets that I hope to make use of.
Brad Merchant
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read
Helpful, but not practical enough.
Rand Hall
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
A 30,000' overview. Not very deep. Croft's choice to use "administrate" rather than "administer" was grating...and since it was a focus of the book it was endless nails on a chalkboard. ...more
Kyle Bueermann
Chuck
rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Zeal Without Burnout: Seven Keys to a Lifelong Ministry of Sustainable Sacrifice
  • Leading from the Second Chair: Serving Your Church, Fulfilling Your Role, and Realizing Your Dreams
  • Strangely Bright: Can You Love God and Enjoy This World?
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • One-to-One Bible Reading: A Simple Guide for Every Christian
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Health, Wealth & Happiness: Has the Prosperity Gospel Overshadowed the Gospel of Christ?
  • Called to the Ministry
  • The Shepherd Leader: Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change
  • Prosperity?: Seeking the True Gospel
  • Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling
  • Solving Marriage Problems: Biblical Solutions for Christian Counselors
  • Signs of the Spirit: An Interpretation of Jonathan Edwards's Religious Affections
  • Spurgeon v. Hyper-Calvinism
  • Gaining by Losing: Why the Future Belongs to Churches That Send
  • The Trellis and the Vine: The Ministry Mind-Shift that Changes Everything
  • Church Discipline: How the Church Protects the Name of Jesus
Brian Croft is Senior Pastor of Auburndale Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky. Brian is the founder of Practical Shepherding, a non-profit organization committed to equipping pastors all over the world in the practical matters of pastoral ministry.

Practical Shepherding (7 books)
  • Visit the Sick: Shepherding the Afflicted and Dying in Your Congregation (Ministering the Master's Way)
  • Pray for the Flock: Ministering God's Grace Through Intercession (Practical Shepherding Series)
  • Test, Train, Affirm, and Send Into Ministry: Recovering the Local Church's Responsibility in the External Call
  • Conduct Gospel-Centered Funerals: Applying the Gospel at the Unique Challenges of Death (Practical Shepherding Series)
  • Gather God's People: Understand, Plan, and Lead Worship in Your Local Church (Practical Shepherding Series)
  • Comfort the Grieving: Ministering God's Grace in Times of Loss (Practical Shepherding Series)

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...