Start by marking “Plenilune” as Want to Read:
Plenilune

Plenilune

Published October 20th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Plenilune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plenilune

H.S.J. Williams
Even if I didn't like the book as a whole, I will always turn to the chapter, The Red King, for a magnificent reference on how to write a spine-chilling, breath-taking duel of fey and incredible power.

REVIEW

In many ways, this book is a gorgeous piece of art and skill. But there are several things from which younger readers should be warned and more mature readers might like to be aware of.

There is no doubt that this writing is spectacular. Jennifer's voice and story is a
Schuyler
Jul 30, 2014 is currently reading it
*Giving Plenilune a star rating is complicated. Therefore I have chosen to forgo it in this instance and let the review speak for itself.*

Jenny puts everything she loves about literature into this novel. Sometimes that is a good thing--majestic prose and best friends who fall in love. Sometimes it is not--salty language and bitter self-reliance. But all-out enthusiasm is the way books should be written, and that is what I love to see. Plenilune is a book of fierce wars and faithful loves, of ch
Elisabeth
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Additional thoughts added following re-reading.

This one's going to shake a few pillars in the literary world, I think.

Plenilune is a difficult book to review, perhaps in part because it's unlike anything else I've read. Nothing I've tried to write about it quite captures what it was like to read it. To say it's a fantasy about a resilient heroine whisked out of Victorian England into another world, where she becomes a pawn in the power-struggle for a kingdom, is only to scratch the surface. It's/>
Suzannah
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Coventry is already on the train that will carry her away from family disgrace and England, to Naples and her last hopes for a respectable match, when she is kidnapped by Rupert de la Mare, the Overlord-in-waiting to Plenilune, who is under instructions from the lord electors of Plenilune to demonstrate a capacity for humanity by winning a wife...

Trapped on a strange planet in a house of secrets by a man she can neither thwart nor escape, the three chief weapons of Margaret
Christina Baehr
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I came to this novel with high expectations. I enjoyed The Shadow Things and I also read this author's blog. There's been a lot of positive chatter about Plenilune from some of my favourite bloggers. Since I have actually never spent money on an ebook before, and never bought a title directly from an indie author, Plenilune marked several firsts for me, and I really, really wanted to love it.

First, the good things. I find Freitag to be a talented craftsman of heady, original prose th
Joshua
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
I feel as if I’ve just gotten into a harem, since only one other man has read and rated Plenilune, compared to 44 women. Perhaps the cover put the men off (I mean, how can she see out of that thing on her head?)… or maybe it really was the harem aspect (except that many men aren’t very fastidious when it comes to staying out of harems). But really, though some books are intended for girls and others for guys, guys should want to read planetary fantasy. So, why the sex bias?

Freitag wr
Rachel Heffington
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The fate of Plenilune hangs on the election of the Overlord, for which Rupert de la Mare and his brother are the only contenders, but when Rupert’s unwilling bride-to-be uncovers his plot to murder his brother, the conflict explodes into civil war.

To assure the minds of the lord-electors of Plenilune that he has some capacity for humanity, Rupert de la Mare has been asked to woo and win a lady before he can become the Overlord, and he will do it—even if he has to kidnap her."

In giv
Kitelingfire
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I walked into this read having read Freitag's debut novel The Shadow Things and come away with mixed emotions. All in all, I confess to not being engaged by her first novel enough to read it over again, but her writing had heart and potential and I was interested to see what else she could do.

Plenilune is vast. You will hear that the style is rich and blood-red. That is true. You will hear it is spun with valor and bravery. That is also true. You will hear it is complex, sometimes overly so. You will/>
Deborah O'Carroll
I finished this book August 16... after being in it since Christmas. I'm rating it five stars, currently, simply because with a character like Dammerung in it, it would WRONG not to give it the highest rating. Without him, it may have garnered a 4-star rating, but, well, without Dammerung it would have been an entirely different book, so there's no real way of knowing, now is there?

This is not a review. It is merely a note explaining the rating. Right now I'm just extremely pleased with myself for hav
Allison Ruvidich
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
When it was released last year, this book flew around our blogging community. Impressed by the number of positive reviews, I planned on reading it sooner rather than later, and the 2014 Blogger Awards gave me a chance to turn that into a reality.

Plenilune has an official excerpt, but I don't feel it captures the heart of the book. It's such a dense, vast story that it's difficult to capture in one sentence, but I'll try.

Plenilune is about a Victorian lady named Margaret w
Aug 02, 2014 added it
Whew! I'll be reading this slowly, said I. Well I read it as slowly as anyone could possibly read Plenilune. Everything that needs to be said has already been said by others. But for the sake of anyone who gets my updates, I say:
Yes, this book is incredibly good. But I would be slow to recommend it for 3 reasons: First, the absence of the Gospel. Planetary fantasy can be handled in various ways- you could have the people be Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve, saved in the same way we are, y
Abigail Hartman
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Rating a book five stars is always a little questionable, doubly so if it's a modern novel; but this is my frank opinion of PLENILUNE. With characters and a world that bound off the page, and the rich, full-blooded writing of Freitag's The Shadow Things times about fifteen, this is a story to grab the heart out of you. If you pick it up expecting a book in all aspects like The Shadow Things, you will no doubt be disappointed. This is a vastly different story, with vastly different characters, in a vastly dif ...more
Donna
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Torture. This must be for more refined and classical readers than me. I forced myself to finish it hoping all the prose and metaphors would actually lead to something magnificent. 618 pages were 400 pages too long. Unless you love beautifully poetic descriptions... For example... "Margaret thought the golden flickers in the water were reflections of hidden light until, passing on the edge of one long pool, she saw the light turn slowly, hugely, and drift to the surface. A red-and-white mottled f ...more
Once again I am late to the party . . . though I think it's for the best this time. Plenilune is a magnificent book, with a great deal to love, but there is an undercurrent of darkness as well. It's not as much as some of the Mistborn books- but, then, I didn't read those until I was older either.

The Good
-Dammerung. Dammerung is amazing and fabulous and now I know why every review I read raves about him. He's awesome. He didn't show up in at all the way I expected, nor is he the character I expected, but honestly-/>
Carmel Elizabeth
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Overview:
I am always hesitant to 100% promote something, because more often than not it is not something I should be promoting 100%. However, there are some exceptions -- and I think this is one of them. Plenilune is such a powerful novel, it's impossible to gulp in a few sittings (as I normally read books). It's rich & it's red-gold. The perfect Autumn read.

Pros:
From every book I read I like to take a moral; to pinpoint the thing the author truly mastered. For Plenilune, this w
Elizabeth Rose
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, personal
We meet Margaret Coventry, Englishwoman to the core, on the train station platform, and like her, we're prepared for a trip. What we get, however, is a journey that nearly rivals Frodo Baggins' for length, peril, and awe. Plenilune reaches out and plucks you from your comfortable chair into a world of high beauty and splendor, where men walk as gods and wield their magic at will. It's a story to heighten the senses through its lavish setting and plot filled with light and thunder. It may delight you, it ...more
Kendra Ardnek
Having read Jenny's historical fiction The Shadow Things, and since her blog is one of my favorites to read, I knew I was going to love her newest book. I bought pre-order and plunged in as soon as it appeared on my Kindle.

It's a big book, and thus it took me a good few months to read properly. Jenny's writing isn't to be read in great gulps, and I had to ration myself properly. This isn't a story for the faint of heart.

I had known from The Shadow Things that Jenny doesn'
Sarah Elizabeth
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this fantastical tale. My reasoning for giving it only four stars, is simply because of the unexpected amount of unnecessary language. And the fact that to me, the first half of the story was rather slow and confusing. But once past that, and on into where everything starts clicking together, the plot just seems to explode. I would definitely recommend this to all my friends, but on a careful note...

To read my full review, visit my blog! Sarah, Plain & Average: http://sarah-plainandaverage.blogspot...
Joy C.
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Rating Plenilune is hard. Therefore, I give it a 3 star rating, and will proceed to try and review it soon, Lord willing, to explain.
In some ways I loved Plenilune fiercely - beautiful writing (for one thing), in other ways, I had things that made me concerned (moral choices, etc). This is a book I would definitely not recommend everyone to read, but for those who have an interest in legends/ and plantery fantasy, and philosophy, and aren't shy of a deal of blood, and gore, you'd like the
Zac
Oct 21, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Look at that cover. *in a murmur* I know, I know. Never judge a book by its cover. But, fear not, I read the summary, and it sounds good, too... I would still really like to stroke it obsessively read it.
Maria Copeland
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm rating this book five stars because I think it's brilliant. That isn't to say I don't have issues with it (keep reading) but to applaud the author for sheer technical skill (keep reading). Possibly I read this too quickly; it has afforded me the opportunity to consume something very much akin to literature in between tasteless homework assignments (it's been a month, and I'll be happy to bid my biology book farewell); and I can't really regret the time spent in Plenilune, just as I can't rea ...more
Riley
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
holy MOLEY.
review coming soonish.
Paige  Bookdragon
There are just some books that is clearly not for me.
Allie (The Literary Familiar)
2.5 stars!

DNFed this one at page 100. What I read was well written (minus the plethora of grammar and spelling mistakes I found in one chapter), but I wasn't finding myself growing attached to Margaret.
Cee Marie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: I believe this book would be perfect for lovers of fantasy.
Shelves: favorites
More reviews can be found in http://steelsparkleandscripture.blogs...

Margaret Coventry knows she must leave her home in England find a husband after scandal strikes her family, but she never dreamed a suitor would find her or just how far from home he would take her.

Rupert de la Mare is ruthless in claiming whatever he wants, and, right now, he wants a bride so he can be named Overlord of Plenilune. However, his choice may be more bring him more trouble than he bargained for.

A fox waits alone and ignor
Sarah Arabi-Katbi
If I could summarize this book into one word, that word would be confusing.

Plenilune is an an amazingly-detailed world that I was sucked into and thrown around and battered, and awed, and swept away.

Margaret, our main character was a simple, English girl, plunged into a a strange new world (and that world was the moon). The war would eventually come after her capture and as she comes into contact with the magic that the world possesses, she eventually finds herself in a place of pow
Abigail Cotton
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is really difficult to put into words what Freitag has so breathtakingly done in Plenilune. I left that world wishing I could have stayed, having been scarred in the best sort of way by a bold, wrenching, dark, brilliant, bright world that would have nearly hurt if Freitag weren't such a genius. I probably read it too fast--I had a cold and stayed up till 4 am one night--but it was impossible to put it down. Freitag's writing style is so deep and bold and descriptive; I was breathing Plenilun ...more
Bethany Oetken
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
What a book. Don't ask if that's a positive or negative statement, as I'm not sure myself. I went with three stars, because I didn't not like it, but I was too torn about it to enjoy it properly.
The writing was beautiful, but awfully heavy. When so many words described the simplest things, it was really tiring to read, but yet the bits and pieces of plot pulled me to keep reading. You have to be in a certain mood to read such heavy and ornate writing, it doesn't go over so well when I'm trying
Anita
It's a bit hard for me to figure out what to say about this book. I was not promptly enthralled with the characters - and at times even when I cared very much, they seemed more like symbols than like people. But one must allow that this can be the way with fairytales. And at its heart, this book feels to me very much like a fairytale - the girl with the unpleasant relations, or those she thinks of as such, is suddenly swept out of her dreary, mundane life into something wild and earnest and fay ...more
Janelle
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, sci-fi, nook
First off: I think Jennifer has incredible potential as a writer. Her ideas were vivid and beautiful, her plot compelling, her prose intricate and lovely, her characters complex and alive.

Secondly: she could have used an editor. There were times when her intricate prose got tangled up in itself and fell flat. More importantly there were times where I felt like i had missed part of the book because things just hadn't been explained. Our main character, Margret, seems weirdly devoid of curiosity.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 6 Mar 20, 2015 11:14AM

• Fly Away Home
  • A Dream Not Imagined
  • The Sunken Realm (Eyes of E'veria #4)
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • A Wish Made of Glass
  • Water Princess, Fire Prince (The Rizkaland Legends, #1)
  • Second Son (The Minstrel's Song, #2)
  • Dragonwitch (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #5)
  • Bitter Winter (Ilyon Chronicles, #5)
  • Captive of Raven Castle
  • Out of Darkness Rising
  • Dragon's Bride (The Dragon and the Scholar #4)
  • Wren (The Romany Epistles)
  • Rose of Prophecy: A Beauty and the Beast Novella
  • Blood Ties (Modern Tales of Na Fianna #1)
  • Dragon's Future (Dragon Courage, #1)
Jennifer Freitag is an author of young adult historical fiction (THE SHADOW THINGS) and fantasy (PLENILUNE). THE SHADOW THINGS and PLENILUNE are available through Amazon.
“Hope is a powerful thing; where it reigns men of even the lowest stature cannot be crushed, and where it has withered into dust whole ships of state run aground and break up on the rocks of corruption and consequence.” 2 likes
“It is in my mind that heaven is fond of those who don't belong.” 1 likes