Start by marking “Lucky 13: Matchmaking and Misunderstandings” as Want to Read:

2014 Among Favorite Romance Reads - Margie Must Reads
2014 Favorite Modern Adaptation - Austenesque Reviews
2016 Favorite Holiday Novel - Diary of an Eccentric
Top 10 Modern Jane Austen Variations - Obsessed With Mr. Darcy

New York City advertising executive, Elizabeth Bennet is determined to find a respectable date to take to Christmas dinner with her insane family. So, what’
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 294 pages
Published October 29th 2014 by Vanity & Pride Press

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice-Inspired, Modern-day Adaptation, Mature Audiences Only

TIME FRAME: Thanksgiving Day 2013 – New Years Eve 2013

MAIN CHARACTERS: Liz Bennet, Charlotte Lucas, Will Darcy, Georgie Darcy, John Lucas, Caroline Bingley, Charlie Bingley, Jane Bennet, Rick Fitzwilliam

WHY I WANTED TO READ THIS NOVEL:

One of my dearest friends with impeccable taste in literature was over-the-moon-in-love with this book.
It looked like a book filled with all my most favorite things
J. W. Garrett
“… you’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?” The line made famous by Clint Eastwood in the‘Dirty Harry’ movie.

Cat Gardiner is a genius. There are so many nuances to this story it is impossible to list them all. The blog entries, at the end of each chapter, written by Lizzy and Charlotte… and occasionally by others later… were a scream. I especially enjoyed the people that commented on the blog post. I was tickled to discover that I recognized several of the
Debbie Brown
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff, 2016-jaff
This is a fun, breezy, feel-good Christmas Pride and Prejudice variation set in modern New York City. Our two protagonists have issues-- Oy! Do they ever have issues! --especially when it comes to relationships. Both have a habit of looking for the smallest flaws to find fault with and keep romance at arm's length. But their friends and the magic of New York at Christmastime conspire to bring them together to help heal each other.

Will Darcy is a psychologically tortured soul, especially around C
Mary
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Dear reader,

If you are looking for a spicier, fun filled festive P&P modern variation,then this is the book for you!

Darcy is now a hunky,muscled firefighter, voluntarily devoted to extinguishing fires of the physical kind,as he knows only too well that a psychological kinda fire can burn no longer in his heart for any woman.......

His task,when meeting any female is to find fault and deem them undeserving of his time,effort and inclusion as a partner in a long term relationship.

He is lonely
Ceri
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review was first published on Babblings of a Bookworm where there is a giveaway of an e-book of Lucky 13, open until 29 October! http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

Lucky 13 is a contemporary romance by debut author Cat Gardiner influenced by Pride & Prejudice. 26 year old Liz Bennet, despite having a successful career in advertising, has always considered herself unlucky. Her mother has always told her so at any rate. She was born on Friday 13th, a girl instead of a boy and has bee
Sophia
She made a list and checked it twice, but even Unlucky 13 Liz Bennet couldn't have predicted what would happen when she made her Thanksgiving resolution not to come to the family Christmas dinner without a date. The hijinks ensue and the fire between her and a certain broody firefighter refuses to be extinguished. Pride & Prejudice sizzles in this modern retelling that includes quirky matchmaking schemes, thirteen hottie firefighters modeling for a charity calendar, interfering family, an ol ...more
Brenda
That was the most interactive novel I've ever read! The blog posts with almost every chapter, the blog comments section, the YouTube videos, the music playlist ... it was a lot of fun! I dare anyone to read this book and not end up wanting to spend Christmas in New York!
With the way this book was written I felt like I got to know the characters really well. I'm feeling a little lost now that I've finished and I won't know the rest of their story!

Outtakes - http://www.catgardiner.blogspot.co.nz.
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813

Today the ever-generous Cat T. Gardiner is offering an autographed copy of "Lucky 13" to one lucky Just Jane 1813 with my review of her book today.

Erika
One of the best modern P&P Variations
What can one say, but Cat Gardiner is a genius!!! Absolutely loved this book!!! RL made getting into this hard to do, but once I sat down to read it, there was no stopping, exempt to sleep!!! I'm not always into the modern versions, it's hard to explain, but I loved this version. The heated attraction, the steamy glances, the oil rubbing...... oh I'm sorry I zoned out there, what was I saying? Wow did it get hot in here or what!! (Fanning myself!) I thoug
Talia
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is by my new favorite author. Beefcake calendars? It was hilarious. I loved it. Another hit! If you are looking for a light read, this was great!
Sheila Majczan
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I reread this in its entirity yesterday (November 30 to December 1, 2016.) to today & had no problem with links this time. Again the sexual tension, the suspense as to when, where and how this couple was going to hook up was so well written. I have to add that I enjoy listening to the songs on Spotify and drooling over the photos on Pinterest and reading the subsequence posts re: their anniversary & their baby. All of Cat's stories have been 5 star reviews from me. Looking forward to mor ...more
Anna
Dec 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Cat Gardiner’s Lucky 13 is a modern-day Pride and Prejudice that follows confident NYC advertising executive and kickass kickboxer Elizabeth Bennet as she embarks on a quest to find a date for Christmas dinner at her parents’ house in Meryton, Long Island, and for her sister Jane’s wedding on New Year’s Eve. Lizzy has long considered herself Unlucky 13 — from the day of her birth when she should have been a boy to Thanksgiving Day 2013 when she’s the only single at the table, much to her mother’ ...more
Elizabeth Hossenlopp
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

That was a GREAT book. Cat Gardiner's modern P&P twist leads the reader down the amazing path of relationship woes, joys, and downright FUN. I won't spoil, just highly recommend!
Brenda J. Webb
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this when it was posted on darcyandlizzy.com and found it very entertaining. It is just right for the Christmas season too!

If you love modern tales of Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, as well as New York and firefighters, you are set for a treat. It is written for adults but if you can "stand the heat" you will find yourself smiling through most of this book.

I bought a copy to have it available whenever I wish to read it again!
Deb Hughes
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC read

Cat Gardiner.... After reading this book for the second time...I still think this is one of your best. This time I read the blogs and absolutely loved those. You are so imaginative and fun!! Will there be a continuation of this book? The big surprise was Charlotte and Richard... Loved that part!
Paige
My down and dirty summary is that I enjoyed it and I recommend it!

I was a lucky winner at Austenesque Reviews and that is how I received this e-book. I very much think this format is perfect for this particular book. This is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice, and the Elizabeth character starts a blog, which is accessible through links at the end of each chapter. The blog is an important and enjoyable component to the story, I believe. Other characters make appearances and posts on the blog.

T
Tina
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book about a year ago and just never got around to reading it. To tell you the truth I subconciously avoided it because I just love regency Darcy. Don't get me wrong I do love a modern Darcy but those books I read sparingly. I admit the only reason I decided to read this book is because the first anniversary party is rolling around on facebook tomorrow and I want to attend.

However I wasn't ready for this book to awesome. Now I wonder why I waited so long to read it. I love how thi
Barb
Sweet and funny story based on Pride and Prejudice, but centered around the making of a very sexy calendar being prepared for charitable purposes. The stars of the calendar are fire fighters. Elizabeth is responsible for producing the calendar. Darcy is a volunteer fire fighter, who, of course, insults her and makes her life difficult. What adds to the fun are Lizzy's blogs discussing her problem with this particular man. The story is set around Christmas and New Years and will really brighten u ...more
Sabin Morris
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved It!

I don't usually read the contemporary P and P variations, but this one was great. I loved the blog and the comments. Light, fresh and fun!
Carol Perrin
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lucky 13: Matchmaking and Misunderstandings

What a delightful story! Once I starts reading, I couldn't stop. The banter between characters was quite humorous, the laugh out loud kind. Both main characters were scarred for different reasons that directed their lives. Darcy: rich, successful, and handsome is fighting his own demons, because of a fire that killed his parents; Elizabeth: successful, pretty, and energetic is stuck in a family where other than the sisters, one above and one below her i
Rose Fairbanks
I really enjoyed this story. I am picky on moderns because I think a lot of people don't adapt things well. To me what's necessary to Pride and Prejudice adaptations is misunderstandings and misconceptions. And I believe both Darcy and Elizabeth fulfill the title of having pride and prejudice, it’s not one or the other.

In Lucky 13, both Darcy and Elizabeth immediately judge one another. Elizabeth does not know of Darcy's wealth- instead she believes he is a firefighter. She's not exactly set aga
Brittany
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have not been reading many good variations lately. I love variations, but I guess I hit a variation rut...until Lucky 13. Ha!

I love this book. It's a current day P&P, but as the author mentions in the forward, it really just borrows the character, and the storyline is pretty independent.

Let's start with the things I didn't like: I did not care for the amount of detail she puts into how fit Elizabeth is. It's okay to talk about it once or twice, but I was done hearing about how skinny, and
Sara
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff-modern
STILL LOVE IT! This is just the best romance novel hands down. I love the intergration of the blog, spotify playlist and pinterest board. It really makes the book come to life. Cat has got to be the most gifted romance writer. Everything feels authentic. If you have not read this, then hurry up and go grab a copy and be prepared to be sucked into her world. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I LOVED this modern take. And the best part is that the book doesn't have to end. I highly enjoyed the blog and pinterest
Margie's Must Reads
This book was so FUN!!! I loved the blog posts, the secondary characters and Elizabeth and Darcy :)

MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!!!
Tlotem
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
A funny and intense modern Pride and Prejudice in New York.
Vaarin
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! What an hilarious, steamy and extremely engaging novel. Loved the Christmas theme as I was decorating my house while reading this gem.

Elizabeth, badly burnt by her high school sweetheart and her mother, hides behind a professional appearance. Underneath, however, lures a tempting black widow.

Darcy, halftime firefighter - halftime President of Pem Tech and charity worker, suffers from guilt and mourning after his parents perished in a fire 8 years ago. Drowning his sorrows in drink and wom
Liz Treacher
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, romance
I really enjoyed this book! A lovely read: romantic, charming and funny. I loved the blogs and the comments - such fun and witty additions to the story. The whole thing is buzzing with life and originality. I couldn't put it down.
ana darcy
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff
Great modern version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.
Both Will and Liz are great characters and the misunderstanding along the book is sweet, sad and sometimes funny. Will falls in love with Lizzy immediately, Liz is not so quick but she is trying to avoid her feeling. Luckyly, the matchmakers are awesome!!
I really like Charlotte :)
I could not stop reading it! Apart from the book, you can follow Liz's blog about her dating "life".
It is a really entertaining and awesome version. Highly rec
Traci
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It is so interactive. At the end of each chapter you can go to "Liz's" Blog and read more about what is going on; and, you have to read the comments that people post because her friends, family and DARCY all comment on the blog. You got to love it.

It is a totally modern day P&P. I have read many versions, but this is one of my top 5.
Suze JA
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed reading modern day p&p story this is a fun read
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Peculiar Connection
  • The Red Chrysanthemum
  • Ardently: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Sketching Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Alternative Journey
  • Bluebells in the Mourning
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • Imperative: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice, Volume 1
  • Longbourn's Songbird
  • When They Fall in Love: Darcy and Elizabeth in Italy
  • 1932
  • Boots and Backpacks: Pride & Prejudice on the Appalachian Trail, Roughly
Cat Gardiner loves romance and happy endings, history, comedy, and Jane Austen. A member of National League of American Pen Women, Romance Writers of America, and her local chapter TARA, she enjoys writing across the spectrum of Pride and Prejudice inspired romance novels. Austenesque, from the comedic Christmas, Chick Lits Lucky 13 and Villa Fortuna, to the bad boy biker Darcy in the sultry adven ...more
More about Cat Gardiner

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)