Start by marking “Anything Could Happen” as Want to Read:
Anything Could Happen

Anything Could Happen

When you’re in love with the wrong person for the right reasons, anything could happen.

Tretch lives in a very small town where everybody's in everybody else's business. Which makes it hard for him to be in love with his straight best friend. For his part, Matt is completely oblivious to the way Tretch feels – and Tretch can’t tell whether that makes it better or worse.

The
Published May 26th 2015 by Push

To ask other readers questions about Anything Could Happen, please sign up.
Gerard Villegas ARCs are difficult to come by. If you have an e-reader, you can go on a site like NetGallery and apply to be a reader and download ARCs for free if…moreARCs are difficult to come by. If you have an e-reader, you can go on a site like NetGallery and apply to be a reader and download ARCs for free if the publisher accepts you. In return, you would provide feedback and reviews usually online for your time. Now that isn't always a guarantee that they'll allow you to download. They usually prefer organizations, booksellers, and reps priority because they're trying to promote the author's work but it couldn't hurt to try.

I'm pretty fortunate that I work as a bookseller at a bookstore so I get a chance to read manuscripts and ARCs ahead of time so we're ready to sell the merchandise to customers when it arrives. Not anyone can get access to advanced work and it's the luck of the draw what they send to us. I just happen to be fortunate to get a copy sent to our company. Hope this helps.(less)

Start your review of Anything Could Happen
Adam Silvera
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Neil (or bleed)
4.5

"There's sickness, and there's sadness. But the thing is, there's love, too. I try never to forget that."

What a shame that I don't have Anything Could Happen anymore in my playlist. This book is somehow inspired by that beautiful song by Ellie Goulding. If I still have that song (I have no idea the song had been vanished in my music library), I'd played it while I'm reading this book.

I felt happiness and the warm in my heart reading Anything Could Happen (like what these kinds of books did
jv poore
It’s not every book that can convincingly cast a character with such seemingly unrelated skills. A closet dance fiend who can also (albeit a bit dubiously) aid in delivering a calf. Tretch keeps these truths hidden, right along with another fact he hasn’t figured out how to share.

He appreciates the perks of life in a tiny town while acknowledging the total lack of privacy. Also absent, is the population to properly support a funky, refurbished theatre. So, no matter how cool the 1976 King Kong
Samantha
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this Anything Could Happen. I love reading LGBTQ+ fiction, and was immediately drawn in when I saw there was a gay MC. Pair that with his being in love with his straight best friend, and I was hopeful for a lot of the themes that could be explored. I ended up feeling disappointed and found the story a little jumbled.

Firstly, there was a lot going on in this story and I found the plot lacking in focus. There are so many elements thrown into this story that aren't developed
Farith
2 stars

I am disappointed

I was expecting so much from this book but it let me down so bad. I've been wanting to read it since the day it came out (2015) and I read it now at the end of 2016. Okay, I have a lot of things to complain about Anything could happen.

But first of all, let's start with the plot. It seemed really interesting at first mainly because it's something that happens to almost everyone, we all are vulnerable to fall in love with a really close friend, right? The thing is harder
Jeremy West
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with Will Walton's writing. This book feels like an ethereal song come to life--thriving with solid beats and strong emotion. I can't wait to share this book with everyone I know.
JV (semi-hiatus)
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok

2.5 stars. I really wanted to love Anything Could Happen, but nope, it didn't hit me in the right spot. I've had an emotional response at the beginning of the novel along these lines:
"Hold fast, I thought, and then, Hold fast because life is fast, which seemed like a logical conclusion.
That’s when he slid his right hand along the edge of the seat, found mine, and squeezed. It sent this gentle buzzing feeling right up the back of my neck, and with it not a complete thought yet, but the essence
wesley

What did I think of this one? You mean apart from the feeling that Taylor Swift and Ellie Goulding are prolly going to end up richer because of this book?

Ha ha ha! Kidding aside, I thought the book was simple. Wait! When I say simple, I don't say it in the negative sense. What I mean is that, really the beauty of Anything Could Happen is in its simplicity. How it did not try so hard to add BIG MOMENTS which would have diverted the story out of its main purpose and/or focus. How it did not try to

May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

When did I stop dancing around my room? I mean really dancing. I twirl or sway now and again, but where did my reach for the stars need to dance go?

Memories. The memories a book can spark and pull out of me is just one of the many reasons why I read. Some books make me reminisce about where I’ve been or who I was. Others help me see and dream of where I want to go or who I want to be. Every so often a book comes along that does both though—inspires memories of the past and hopes for the future.
Max Baker
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm just going to take a second to mourn....okay...okay. I think I'm over the disappointment...no...wait...okay...now I'm over it.

Anything Could Happen was one of those books I was really looking forward too. A gay guy in love with his straight best friend? Fuck yeah. Hottie on the cover? Fuck yeah. Cute romance promised? Fuck yeah. But, once I actually dove into the story I found myself struggling to find any meat in the story.

Tretch is in love with his best friend Matt, who is unfortunately
Tikaa
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read The Full Review At fANGIRLconfessions!

I received a review copy courtesy of the author/publisher. This does not affect my opinion or views regarding the book whatsoever.

I'm soooo disappointed in this book.

* Deep Sigh *

I am a HUGE fan of LGBT. I love how the characters and stories are always so lively, creative, over-the-top, diverse, etc. So I truly was excited when I received Anything Could Happen for review. What I thought was going to be an amazing coming of age story about a young guy in
Janet
Once in a blue moon, along will come a book that I wish my younger self could read. Will Walton's ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN perfectly captures the sometimes soaring, sometimes heart-crushing nature of unrequited adolescent love. His prose is sophisticated but accessible, and the relationships in Tretch's life are presented in this nuanced but beautiful way, allowing us to see how this really special protagonist engages with those most important to him. Because of Walton's timeless style and deftly ...more
Kels
I started off really loving this book!!! BUT unfortunately, somewhere towards the middle Anything Could Happen just dragged itself into yawn territory. It went from being curious and entertaining to a pretty dull shade of gray, with not much excitement or drama or anything interesting happening with the MC.

I think the writing in this novel is pretty solid. I loved the flow of it, which made this an easy quick read for me. I also really liked all of the characters, from the MC Tretch-O, to his
Kaje Harper
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, comfort-reread, ya
This is a gentle, positive story about a gay boy in a small town who has a crush on his straight best friend. Tretch has secretly been in love with Matt for years, and he's stuck in a bit of a limbo. His own family loves him and he's sure they'd be okay with him being gay... or almost sure. Not quite enough to have come out to them yet. His best friend Matt has two dads, so he'd surely be good with someone being gay, and he's protective of Tretch. But no matter how often Tretch pictures coming ...more
Tyler Goodson
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-mg, six-stars
This book is perfect. I vibrated, hummed, laughed, cried, danced, forgot to breathe. I felt like Tretch was part of me every minute I was reading, partly because the writing is so good you can't help but feel everything he feels, but also partly because I recognize him--in myself and in my life. This book tells a complex story, different from ones you've read before, and every moment feels true.
jaroda
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why it took me so long to finally read this one. Now that I have, I honestly don't know what to say. This book resonated with me on a level I didn't expect. The last time I felt this way about a contemporary was when I read (and watched) THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER by Stephen Chbosky. Really, this book is a gem. Maybe when I've stepped away from this one long enough, I'll come back here to give a proper review, but for now just know that I loved this one. I look forward to ...more
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, 2018-reads
. : — 4

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

buddy read with L.C.!!!!

you know how sometimes you start a book and you’re like “oh this book is going to be x, y & z.” and it turns out the book is everything BUT x, y & z in a really good way? well this book was that but to the tenth power. to begin with, i thought this book was going to be a simple & silly gay contemporary with a butt load of cheesy romance that is unrealistic for characters who are 15 but still a
Jason
In a young voice, perhaps too young for a high schooler, this book tells the story of Trench. It follows the same old trope of gay boy falls for straight best friend. Unfortunately, anyone well versed in this genre has been there, done that. There is of course a secondary female character, and Trent finds himself in a situation of forced intimacy. This is followed by the usual female love interest of his male crush, a device used to create tension and jealousy. It is all so trite and derivative. ...more
Sara
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything - joy, heartfelt tears, and the blissful celebration of a dance party. I rooted out loud for Tretch (publicly) and then immediately book talked this smart novel to the three random strangers who wondered what book could bring such responses. (And, we are now friends because they will pass this book's magic along as well.). The best, most authentic, most necessary book I have read in quite awhile.
Rainey
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read a manuscript copy of Will's novel a few months ago, and I immediately fell in love. Following Tretch through his coming of age adventures had me laughing, crying, and wanting to move to a farm! I can't wait for publication so that others can share the experience.
L.C. Perry
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Reading’s just another form of travel, after all.”

And what an adventure this book was!

Man oh man this story wasn’t what I expected. When I came into this, I was expecting the majority of this story to be about Tretch and his straight best friend, Matt. I thought I was preparing for romantic drama, the family drama with coming out, the drama with Tretch coming to terms with who he is.

But this story was so much more than that.

My initial thoughts about the story had me intrigued, but when I
Dahlia
Really sweet m/m YA I think perfectly fills a gap in the younger YA side. Not that there aren't great gay YAs appropriate for the younger set, but the ones that come to mind for me immediately are all romances. So often at that age, it's about coming into your own and the trickiness of unrequited love that comes with having such a strong connection to someone, but with the fundamental and (usually) impassable barrier of conflicting sexual orientations in the way, and I think ACH nails that while ...more
Jenny
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Just lovely! The characters were real and complex, and it's such a sweet look into one young man's coming of age. I cared about the characters so much. They are delightful. I didn't want to part with them!

And another thing - I just zoomed along. I was never bored, and wanted to stay in the little world Walton created.

Re-read in 2016. Still so good. Tretch has such a sweet disposition. We all need characters who represent us, and can show us the good.
manuela
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful story about friendship, family, first love and finding yourself. Tretch was such an inspiring character, with an original story. I loved that this book showed how much music, and also books, can mean to teenagers, how they give people hope, inspiration and, somehow, a friend. It's a fast, light read, well written, and at the same time meaningful. Loved it!
Frankie Brown
WILL WROTE THIS!!!!!

I am going to write a review very very soon.

and now the cover is on Goodreads!!! can't wait can't wait can't wait to hold it.
Nidhi Jhaveri
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the unrequited romance that was present in this book and how realistic it was. As I indulged in this sweet book, I realised it was tough to put it down. I felt happiness fluttering in my heart. I smiled, laughed, and was teary-eyed. Will Walton's writing takes the reader on an awe-inspiring adventure—right from the first chapter. When I reached the ending, I just couldn't get enough. In spite of this book being a beautiful one, at the end, I felt a tad empty—it did seem abrupt especially ...more
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, reviewed
The full review can be found at The Book Bratz

Anything Can Happen is both warmly written and heart swelling. I found it to be something refreshing in in Young Adult, and will surely be a book I will be pushing at people.

Tretch knew he way gay the moment Matt grabbed his hand at church. But he lives in the south, where being gay isn't something that is easily understood. Ironically Matt has two dads, and constantly reminds other people as well as himself that he isn't gay. During winter break
Bibek Thapa
All I wanted was to read a novel where two guys fall in love but instead I got a typical coming of age narrative of a gay character. It was nice and all but it's just that I've read similar stories soooo many times (Boy Meets Boy, The Vast Fields of Ordinary, David Inside Out, Out of the Pocket and most recently More Happy Than Not) that this one didn't hold much appeal to me. Still a nice read though, just didn't blow me away like More Happy Than Not.
Chrissy Marlowe
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need more stars as 5 is not enough!! Walton has written a book that is like a perfect cup of tea-flavorful, heartwarming and soul-soothing! Tretch is a dear character that you want be a part of your community—mowing lawns, riding his bike, shopping at the local bookstore.

I believe it is important to note that this book serves as a marker, among several-though not enough-of the progress we are making in society. This is a coming of age book and a first love book among many in those genres;
Gina
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you want to have your heart broken with sweetness and the ache of trying to figure out the world as a teen, if you're looking for a story about queer youth where their relationship with their family is full of love despite the fear of coming out, if you want joy and dancing and small-town realness, then this book is right up your alley. What a treat to have this book out in the world and available for us to adore!
Book Review 1 6 Feb 02, 2016 09:17AM
Crazy for Young A...: Anything Could Happen, by Will Walton → Start Date: May 29, 2015 27 45 Jun 14, 2015 06:14PM

• The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley
  • One Man Guy (One Man Guy, #1)
  • None of the Above
  • True Letters from a Fictional Life
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • Been Here All Along
  • More Happy Than Not
  • Fan Art
  • Two Boys Kissing
  • At the Edge of the Universe
  • Out of the Pocket
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • What They Always Tell Us
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • Social Intercourse
  • A Boy Worth Knowing
  • Wonders of the Invisible World
  • Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)
“There’s sickness, and there’s sadness. But the thing is, there’s love, too. I try never to forget that.” 20 likes
“Dancing is spiritual. Dancing is personal. Some people look at a dancing person and say, What a total show-off. They only notice the body of the dancing person. They look at the way the elbows jut out, the way the hips shake and the neck bends. They criticize all of these things, saying, This dancing person shouldn't be dancing. This dancing person has no rhythm.
But the dancer is immune to all of this.”
5 likes