Start by marking “The Way Home Looks Now” as Want to Read:
The Way Home Looks Now

The Way Home Looks Now

Twelve-year-old Chinese American Peter Lee and his family always shared a passion for baseball, bonding over backlot games and the Pittsburgh Pirates. But when a devastating tragedy strikes, the family flies apart and Peter's mom becomes paralyzed by grief, drifting further and further from her family.

Hoping to lift his mother's spirits, Peter decides to try out for Littl
Published April 28th 2015 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Way Home Looks Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way Home Looks Now

Rebecca McNutt
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very well-written kid's book, the way I remember them being when I was a kid, before they just got repetitive and boring. The Way Home Looks Now is not only interesting to read, but it's also original and it teaches kids about the values of love, family, friendship and playing outside, whether it's baseball, horseback riding, swimming, walking, bowling or any other activity that brings people together.
Michelle Simpson
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a heartwarming story of Peter Lee and his family. They share a genuine love for the game of baseball, but a tragedy changes the dynamics within their family. Peter tries to move forward by joining a baseball team. During this time he sees that they all handle their grief differently. This one was hard for me to put down once I got into the story.
Esther | braveliteraryworld
GENERAL
- read for Battle of the Books club

LIKES:
- appreciated the ambivalent ending. Life is ambivalent, and I appreciate when literature reflects that.
- I don't usually like sports books, but this one used sports as a vehicle to discussing familial themes.
- As a Taiwanese American, I always love me some good Taiwanese American protagonists.

DISLIKES:
- There were a lot of micro-aggression comments that went unanswered. I wish those were addressed at least once, by one of the characters.
- The plot
Gabrielle Schwabauer
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
No one element of this book stood out to me enough to rate it as incredible, but I'd happily pass it on to any kid. Several difficult topics were handled with nuance, and the author avoided easy answers or trite solutions. This book took me back to my own childhood recesses and ball games, afternoons with one hand sweating inside a leather glove, the slide of runner into base, the sound of kids yelling chants and rattling a chain-link fence. Simply put, this book made me miss baseball, and I bar ...more
Donny Barbanente
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a mixture of inspiring and just a good book. It talk alot about how they overcome things and is just in general a good book. I hope someone takes the time to read this book because it is in fact a very good book.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mady Dailey
Review is from Books in Print http://www.booksinprint.com/DetailedV...

School Library Journal
( March 01, 2015; 9780545609562 )

Gr 4-6-Twelve-year-old Peter just wants his home to be the way it was before-before his mother stopped talking, before she started sitting on the couch staring at the TV, and before his older brother died in a car accident. Peter's father is a strict Chinese immigrant who stresses homework, emphasizes respect for authority, and forbids baseball. Peter's mother and siblings
Ms. Yingling
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Peter Lee's family loves baseball, cheering on the Taiwanese team when they come to a world championship in the early 1970s. When his older brother, Nelson, is killed in a car crash, however, his mother becomes so completely dysfunctional that she can't even get up off the couch to cook dinner, leaving Peter, his younger sister Elaine, and his father to fend for themselves. Peter is grieving for longer than necessary as well, and feels as if everyone at sch
The Styling Librarian
The Way Home Looks Now by Wendy Wan-Long Shang – Historical Fiction – Really enjoyed this touching book. To be released April 28th, 2015-

Book Talk: Baseball, can baseball save his family? That’s what Peter is hoping when he takes a risk. He learns more about his Dad and has a little hope for the future.

I appreciate when you anticipate something for an entire book and an author doesn’t really provide you with an outcome if it makes sense… Loved reading about lovely family that has a pretty happy
Moira
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
You will cry, you will cheer, you will sit on the edge of your seat. And if you are like me, you will walk around the house with this book in your hand because you don't want to stop reading it just to get a glass of tea. This is such a realistic, sad, funny and heart-wrenching look at grief. Shang deftly takes you through the world or grief after the death of a 17-year old boy and shows how the family--especially the younger brother--manages to find a way to cope and forge ahead with life. And ...more
Madelyn
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hate using the word "moving" because it's overused, plus I fear it will scare people off, but it's the right word so here I go: This book moved me to laughter (see? nothing to be scared of) and tears -- not to mention the places where my eyes stung but the wet stuff didn't actually leak out of them. This is life after a bad thing happens, where some people go on and LIVE and some people stop living, from the POV of a kid who is trying to figure out how to make everything (and everybody) work a ...more
Chalida
Another wonderful book by Shang. Peter, a 12-year-old Chinese American, deals with life after tragedy and watches how his family confronts grief. A beautiful portrait of family and baseball and life during the Vietnam War as a Chinese American. I love tenderly crafted Ba and the sacrifices he makes for his children. His evolution is subtle and warm. Shang captures the changing times of the 60s with women, immigrants and pick-up game baseball. Liam is re-reading because he loved so much the first ...more
Jacqueline
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful in every way. Peter's passion for baseball is artfully woven into a story of family, grief, and learning who you are. Peter is a character who will resonant with boys and girls alike. His complicated relationship with his father grows to a moving crescendo in this story. This is a book that kids, parents, and teachers should read.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Publisher's Weekly sums this one up perfectly -- "A grieving Chinese-American family begins to find strength and healing through a shared passion for baseball in this warm, hopeful novel set in 1972."
pati
Tragedy can really derail a person and it wrecks havoc on Peter's family. Great book - I really like Peter's father, Ba.
Jennifer Bailey
Paula
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really lovely story about how grief can affect a family, and the different ways they try to cope with it.
A love of baseball has been a common bond for Peter and his immediate family, with the exception of his father, Ba. So when tragedy strikes, Peter eventually tries to see if baseball can bring happiness back to his depressed and grieving mother. What he doesn't expect is that it will help him better understand Ba, and bring him closer to accepting his own feelings of grief and loss. There i
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
After his older brother's death, Peter Lee's mother sinks into a deep depression. Baseball was something the family celebrated together, so he concocts a plan to play baseball as a way of bringing her back to them. Whether it worked or not we don't find out in this book, but it does heal the schism between Peter and his father that was growing even before the tragedy.

I want to say I love this book but the truth is I only loved the last half of it or so. I'm tired of books where there is a death
Brittany
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so incredibly important, how did I not know about it?

Set during the Vietnam War and featuring an Asian-American family, I purchased this book for the diversity it would bring to my classroom (most of my students do not have experience understanding this cultural group).

This book was so powerful. It begins shortly after the tragic death of the narrator's older brother, the star of the family. The father is put in the domestic role (rare for the time and culture) when the mother falls
Tiffany
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This 2018 Sequoyah nomination is a great book but so SAD. It really has so much baseball I'd love to give it to some of my baseball lovers but then the whole rest of the story isn't one I'd normally recommend to those same readers. I'm just not sure there is a large audience for this book.
Tiff
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moving story about a family and their love of baseball. Even through tragedy, baseball uplifts them through it all. Peter, 12 years old, learns to see his father in a different light. What a touching and heartwarming story. Highly recommended to all ages!
Barbara
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story. It read true to a young boy's outlook and the era. Sad about the mother, but encouraging to see the father and son working things out.
Aneesa
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book

This book is very highly recommended. It is very touching, but has excitement in it. It makes the reader want to know what will happen next.
Deborah
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When a book makes me cry actual tears, it gets a fifth star. Beautifully written, warm, kind, thoughtful, and uplifting.
Kary
2018 Children's Sequoyah Masterlist

Good book to recommend to my athletic students, especially the boys.
Sophia
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. Although it took me longer to read, it still caught my attention with its historical fiction content. I really enjoyed that side of the story.
Ginger
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would not have picked this up if it hadn't been on our Battle of the Books list, but it gets better every time I read it.
Lauren
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the variety of hardships that Pete Lee and his family faced.
Cheryl
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the growth of the main character through the novel, but I felt like some very important things were left unresolved to my satisfaction.
Gayle Ooten
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The story of a family that is learning how to come to terms with a great loss. It is a wonderful depiction of how different such a struggle can appear, and a young man who comes to realize that we all grieve differently.

The book was also extremely heavy on baseball, which threw me off throughout most of the narrative.
  • This Is Just a Test
  • King of the Mound: My Summer with Satchel Paige
  • Full of Beans
  • Step Up to the Plate, Maria Singh
  • Fenway Fever
  • Growing Up Pedro: How the Martinez Brothers Made It from the Dominican Republic All the Way to the Major Leagues
  • The Question of Miracles
  • The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton
  • The Way to Stay in Destiny
  • Clayton Byrd Goes Underground
  • Talking Leaves
  • Miracle Mud: Lena Blackburne and the Secret Mud That Changed Baseball
  • Death by Toilet Paper
My parents, who grew up in China, had no favorite books from their childhood to share with me, which left me to my own devices in the library. When I mentioned this to a friend, she was a bit stunned, and I understood this reaction. I certainly never felt deprived as a child, but as a parent, it's hard to imagine not having that link.

My own book is about finding the stories we discover about our f