Start by marking “Dear Daughter” as Want to Read:
Dear Daughter

Dear Daughter

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  13,256 ratings  ·  1,592 reviews
“Quick-witted and fast-paced, this debut mystery should be a hit with Gone Girl fans.”  People magazine

"This is an all-nighter . . . The best debut mystery I've read in a long time."—Tana French

“A really gutsy, clever, energetic read, often unexpected, always entertaining. I loved Janie Jenkins’s sassy voice and Elizabeth Little’s too. In the world of crime nov
Published July 28th 2015 by Penguin Books (first published July 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Daughter, please sign up.
Mari I was expecting the old wire tap at least but nope. The end wasn't was great as it could of been but it's ok. It felt the end of the book.
Mari The reviews in books are not unbiased! The author publisher are not going to put negative or critical reviews inside the book. Thier job is to make as…moreThe reviews in books are not unbiased! The author publisher are not going to put negative or critical reviews inside the book. Thier job is to make as much $ as possible on it. I remembered seeing something on tv about how publishers paid other people for thier reviews inside the book some of them never even read the book they were reviewing. The best way to find out if you will like a book or not is to find someone with similar reading styles.(less)

·  13,256 ratings  ·  1,592 reviews

Delee
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a teen- I always rolled my eyes when my parents uttered the phrase "When I WAS young..."- it was usually followed by some story from the time period I thought of as "The Olden Days" -which for the most part, I had nooooooooo interest in hearing about at length. However, I now find myself doing the same thing quite a bit, when I see the world turning into something I don't recognize anymore. The public's overblown fascination with the rich and famous. The huge amount of people famous for nothi ...more
karen
Multi-tools are like insults, girls—you should always have one on hand

you're not going to like this narrator. and you're not meant to. the author knows what she's doing - walking that popular gillian flynn female-antihero line, and the narrator herself would definitely not like you, so all's fair. this book is definitely a good readalike for flynn-fans, although it has a slightly less nihilistic edge, and less colorful violence.

it's about a firecracker of a girl named jane, raised in flamboyant
Erika Schoeps
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

1.5 Stars
Another mystery/thriller that's receiving rave reviews that I just can't understand the appeal of. There will be spoilers ahead, but read my review anyway. This book isn't worth your time anyway, so you might as well hear about the plot.

The Summary: Jane Jenkins has just been released from prison; Not because she is innocent, but because of some mishandling of crucial evidence. After being imprisoned for 10 years, Jenkins
Laurel Tyndall
Jun 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Robert
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you slack off for a few days and seek praise in your own writing, bad things tend to happen. With me, my memory went to shit on a stick. So (like Will Ferrell in Old School during the great debate) let me regurgitate DEAR DAUGHTER in a stream of consciousness before I’m even more fucked than I already am.

Janie Jenkins decided to take everything she had discovered over the course of her life—before she ended up in the pokey—and leave it on the side of the road. Her clothes, hair, name, and c
Leanne
I read about Dear Daughter in some obscure article that I just tried to look for and can no longer locate – but I do remember that it referenced it as a sharp crossover mystery that would appeal to fans of Tana French and Gillian Flynn. Well, come on – is there any other combination of authors you could compare a book to that would intrigue me more? Upon further investigation, I noted that while I was by no means thrilled with the (hopefully just draft) cover (yes, I do frequently judge a book b ...more
Sue
"Dear Daughter" by Elizabeth Little, was chosen as our BOTM for October in one of the groups that I am a member. This mystery/thriller has been receiving mixed reviews; you either LOVE it or Hate it. I can't say I hate it, but I can't understand the appeal of this novel.

The story centers around Jane Jenkins who has just been released from prison; because of some mishandling of crucial evidence. After being imprisoned for 10 years, Jenkins has no family to turn to... especially because the perso
Faye, la Patata
Jul 31, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, mystery
DNF

Ugh, there is no other way to go around this, is there?

Bad cover aside, the premise of this book intrigued me. The concept of someone finding out if she truly killed a family member was something that made my eyes go kaching-bling-bling! The mystery! The suspense! The inevitable twists and turns in every nook and cranny! Could this be the next Gone Girl? So, yes, I truly was excited, and jumped into this book with twitching hands, ready for my mind to be blown away.

...only to be sorely disapp
Jenna
Janie Jenkins is on a mission to find her mothers killer after she is released from prison on a technicality, after already serving ten years behind bars. There are only a few clues that can lead her to her mother’s killer, but Janie has nothing but time on her hands and enough gusto to move mountains.

With her investigative work from inside the prison, her destination upon release is in South Dakota where she tries to find her way around without being recognized. She soon learns of a side of her
Nikki
Ultimately Dear Daughter suffered from an author who seemed to use a snarky and obnoxious protagonist and overwrought and pretentious descriptions/metaphors to distract from the fact that the plot was cliché and mediocre.

...the slow gurgle of blood from a wound. I looked at my left shoulder. “Shit,” I breathed. “Red is so not my color.” Loc4640

Jane seriously does not know when to quit it.

The plot, which is extremely slow moving and at times leaves you wondering what the hell the point is, inv
Holly
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
*4.5 stars

I got to say--I actually really liked this book. Jane isn't really a character you're going to fall in love with but in a weird way I liked her. Yes, she was a bit bitchy but some of her comments were funny, although, I appreciate sarcasm & brashness--sometimes too much. It was a good mystery--once again, I didn't see the end coming but I don't really "try" to figure things out. I just enjoy the ride. This was a good one too; it was very hard for me to put down last night to go to
Debbie "DJ"
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Well, this was quite a thriller! The opening pages tell us that Janie Jenkins, an infamous Hollywood celebutante, has been convicted of her mothers murder. Due to mismanagement of evidence by the crime lab, she is released after 10 years. Her memory of the murder is not clear, and she goes in search of the truth, what really happened that night?

I loved the character that Elizabeth Little created in Janie. She is extremely self-absorbed and easy to dislike, yet I found myself rooting for her...at
Diane S ☔
A very slow and somewhat scattered beginning as we are introduced to Jane, just getting out of prison for the murder of her mother. A media celebrity due to her outrageous stunts, drugs and boyfriends, Jane is pretty much the epitome of everything I hate about our love affairs with celebrities who have not actually done anything to earn that title.

It does get interesting though, when she sets out to find out the secrets in her mothers past. A past she knew nothing about because her mother invent
Christine
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: GR sidebar and Ron
Shelves: ebooks
I have a love-hate relationship with Dear Daughter by new author Elizabeth Little. I read this novel for a group read for one of my Goodreads mystery groups. If I was just reading it on my own, I would have given up on it, something I have only done once in the last year.

The first 50% of the book was tough to get through. The book is written in first person narrative with the protagonist, assumed murderess Jane Jenkins, being the voice of the story. Jane was not likable at all, so the fact that
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

ARC received from NetGalley. Thank you, NetGalley!

3 Stars plus bonus Star for a great cover.

“It’s hard enough to maintain your innocence when so many people are so sure you’re not. It’s impossible when you’re not sure of anything at all – other than the awful, inescapable fact that you hadn’t particularly liked your own mother.”

Ten years ago L.A. teen socialite Jane Jenkins was convicted of murdering her mother. Although she’s alwa
Sara
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, eh, mystery
Eh.

Seriously I'm kind of at a loss here.

I didn't dislike this enough to stop reading it. I didn't like it enough to really recommend it.

This is one of those I'm not really sure what the author was going for reads I seem to be running into over and over again these days.

There's a lot of clever, quippy narration and some naughty sexy times and a race against time to find a murderer and some transcripts from blogs and text's because its 2014 and that's how we communicate now everybody!!!!!!!!!!!
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Without context, even the feeblest hopes loom large and beguiling.

With its snapshot beginning, bitter and self-aware narrative, and inevitability hinted at often, Elizabeth Little's debut novel promised to be a dark, gritty debut mystery in the vein of Tana French or maybe Gillian Flynn. To me, however, it's ended up being a good effort riddled with missed opportunities, though not without its merits.

Jane Jenkins was sixteen years old when she was convicted of her mother's brutal murder. 83% of
Rheama Heather
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After serving a decade in prison for the murder of her mother, a former wild child socialite (think Paris Hilton) is released on a technicality. Jane and her famous face immediately set out on an incognito mission to find the truth. Of course, the truth is complicated by a family history full of lies, rabid paparazzi, and the fact that Jane isn’t a hundred percent sure of her own innocence.

Fun, outrageous, irreverent, witty, hilarious, and, at times, heartbreaking, Dear Daughter is enjoyable in
Nicholas Sparks
Released on a technicality after spending 10 years in prison for killing her socialite mother, Janie Jenkins makes it her mission to find the real murderer. Elizabeth Little has written several works of nonfiction before writing this debut.
debra
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unless I fell on my head( which is not a total impossibility), I have no memory of having read this. I can easily prove that because...I did not refer you to read someone else's review. Ha!
Joanne
Sep 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to this book. The Books section of the paper, on-line reviewers, my local library website, my fellow readers here at Goodreads: they all recommended it as a terrific thriller. Did they read the same book I did? I was so disappointed.

The basic premise was good, if not overly original. Janie Jenkins is released from prison on a technicality, after serving 10 years for killing her mother. She decides to find out what really happened. So far, so humdrum. The author tried to int
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Dear Daughter is one of those clever surprise packages in a book, as I immersed myself in the words I had many moments of wondering where it all was going, but relaxed and enjoyed the journey and was lost in it along the way, arriving surprised and somewhat shocked at the final destination. Superb and sublime writing.

What's the book about then?

You might fight with your mother, Janie Jenkins might have killed hers.

'As soon as they processed my release Noah and I hit the ground running. A change o
Evie
Taut, captivating and fresh, Dear Daughter follows the story of Janie Jenkins as she is trying to uncover the truth behind her mother's brutal murder and her last words written in blood. Words that landed Janie in jail for ten long years and have the entire world convinced of her guilt. Janie is out now, released due to mishandling of evidence in her case. And she is determined to get to the bottom of it all. She has a long journey ahead of her, with lots of digging to do, and she will not like ...more
Denise MacDonald
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s, favorites
* I received this book as an ARC from the publisher in exchange for my honest review *

Wow! I loved everything about this book. I couldn't put it down, I literally fell asleep with my e-reader still in my hands.

I'm not going to provide a synopsis of the book as it is already provided so I will start with the main character. Jane is such a well developed character, I switched between liking her and disliking her so many times through out the story! Usually when I was also switching between thinkin
Christina McDonald
After her mother is killed, Janie Jenkins is convicted of her murder based on circumstantial evidence. But her memories of that night are missing. Released from prison on a technicality years later, Janie decides to find her mothers killer and clear her name.

This sharp thriller has an abrasive, irritating, yet sometimes funny protagonist with a final surprising twist right there at the end. A little difficult to get into at first. I'd almost class this as YA.
Ruthie
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Mixed feeling about this book - I had trouble putting it down, and I had trouble with constant eye-rolling. The story was promising, and the unpleasant narrator didn't put me off, what bothered me was the writing. It kept veering from snarky, bitchy commentary to ridiculously overwritten "look how cool I am" passages. It felt as if the author was so worried about writing in the voice of an emotionally shuttered rich bitch that she had to throw in every cutting insight this girl could possibly ha ...more
1-Click Addict Support Group
☆☆☆ "A CAN'T-PUT-DOWN THRILLER!" ☆☆☆

$1.99 SALE + GIVEAWAY!!! Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little is on sale for a limited time!!!

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2oOS75x
B&N: http://bit.ly/2odPqXK
Kobo: http://bit.ly/2ph7pvX
iBooks: http://apple.co/2nu8jJ1
Google Play: http://bit.ly/2oSCIk1

Enter to win a $25 gift card + signed paperback of Dear Daughter ➩ http://bit.ly/2oSt0hv

“A can’t-put-down thriller.”
—Cosmopolitan

"
Bill Kupersmith
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janie Jenkins had always had a tempestuous relationship with her mother, the murdered socialite Marion Elsinger. Janie appeared to be a duplicitous and unlikeable person – so much so that at first I didn’t really care whether she had killed her mother. However reading on, I found myself sucked into the story and my opinion of Janie started to change with her sarcastic and spikey comments even becoming slightly amusing.

After ten years in jail for a murder that she may (or may not) have committed
Beverly
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, mystery
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review, and WOW. I think Elizabeth Little is going to be a strong voice in contemporary fiction!

Former "it" girl Janie Jenkins has been in prison for the last ten years, convicted of killing her mother, with whom she had a tumultuous relationship. Released on a technicality, Janie goes on a mission to discover who killed her mother...even it it was herself.

I had several "NO WAY!" moments during this novel. Little did an amazing job of keeping the reade
Finished 3 21 Sep 15, 2015 10:07AM
The Challenge Fac...: Joni and Kristin - Dear Daughter 21 22 Mar 27, 2015 04:48PM
Book Giveaways: Win Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little! 1 18 Jul 23, 2014 07:55AM

• I Love You More
  • Once Upon a Lie (Maeve Conlon, #1)
  • The Black Hour
  • What Strange Creatures
  • The Beautiful and the Wicked (Lila Day, #2)
  • One of Us
  • The Daylight Marriage
  • Don't Try to Find Me
  • The Execution of Noa P. Singleton
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Yesterday's Echo (Rick Cahill, #1)
  • Lie Still
  • You Should Have Known
  • Never Coming Back (David Raker, #4)
  • A Circle of Wives
  • The Innocent Sleep
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • Blowback (Vanessa Pierson, #1)
Elizabeth Little was born and raised in St. Louis and graduated from Harvard University. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Los Angeles Review of Books, among other publications, and she has been featured on All Things Considered, The World, and Here and Now.

She has written two works of nonfiction: Biting the Wax Tadpole: Confessions of a Language Fanati
“Understand that this is how it works with people like me. Self-pity is the sun around which we orbit, the great gravitational force that rules those of us for whom Things Didn’t Quite Turn Out. If we’re lucky, purpose (vengeance, absolution, cookies, not in that order) can keep us from falling in, from burning up, but we’re fooling ourselves if we ever think we’re going to break free. But that’s why God created Xanax.” 4 likes
“Multi-tools are like insults, girls — you should always have one on hand.” 4 likes