Start by marking “Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)

Hungry Ghosts

(Eric Carter #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  936 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Necromancer Eric Carter's problems keep getting bigger. Bad enough he's the unwilling husband to the patron saint of death, Santa Muerte, but now her ex, the Aztec King of the dead, Mictlantecuhtli, has come back -- and it turns out that Carter and he are swapping places. As Mictlantecuhtli breaks loose of his prison of jade, Carter is slowly turning to stone.

To make matt
Published February 7th 2017 by Daw Books

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Ghosts, please sign up.
Stephen This is, in fact, not the last book. There will be at least three more Eric Carter novels. The next one, FIRE SEASON, deals with some of the fallout f…moreThis is, in fact, not the last book. There will be at least three more Eric Carter novels. The next one, FIRE SEASON, deals with some of the fallout from HUNGRY GHOSTS.

I don't have a release date, and I've learned that guessing is usually wrong because so many things can get in the way. But yes, (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
Beth Cato
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Blackmoore's Eric Carter series is necromancy noir, with the two previous books set mostly in Los Angeles. Therefore, it was only fitting that I read the latest book while skirting the LA area on a day-long road trip.

There was a long wait between the second and third books in this series, but wow, Blackmoore made it all worthwhile. This novel is intense, gory, and grim, and provides a perfect ending for the trilogy. Eric Carter is a callous man, but that's a necessary survival technique for a m
Veronica
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I liked this one less than the first two books. Frankly I got lost with all the Aztec mythology and there was just way too much Tabitha, who I couldn't care less about. And no Gabriela. Bring back the Bruja! There are apparently three more Eric Carter books coming and I'd certainly like to continue to follow him on his dark adventures but I'm hoping we're done with all the Santa Muerte and Tabitha story arc. However, (view spoiler) ...more
Minx
I really dug that this book took place in Mexico and that there were many Aztec gods and goddesses that are either a part of the story or referenced. Really fascinating! I am no expert in the Aztec culture or history but I felt that everything was represented in a realistic fashion. Mr. Blackmoore did a wonderful job in researching and it shows in his characters and urban development. I could vividly see everything that I was intended to. Job well done!

The character of Eric Carter reminds me of
Phillip III
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HUNGRY GHOSTS is the 3rd book in the Eric Carter series, and will be released in just a few days. Here's the thing, if you are like me you can't start reading Book 3 without having read Books 1 & 2. I got my hands on Book 3, but couldn't begin there. So I first read DEAD THINGS, and then BROKEN SOULS before diving into HUNGRY GHOSTS. Read each book in a day. Three days. Three books. Know why I read them so fast? Because they were awesome. All three. That's why.

Eric Carter is a necromancer, an ex
Patrick
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Even though this is a sequel review, I will remain very vague with character and event references to avoid spoilers even for the previous two books)

In my opinion, this book really cleaned up a lot of the issues with the first book and bounced back from what I saw as a step back in the second book. Many of the issues that bugged me in the first book (some sloppy prose, an unlikable protagonist, crummy characterization, etc.) are improved, in some cases quite drastically. The premise of this book
Melliane
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

This is the third volume of the series and I am glad to know that some new novels will come later! We find Eric Carter in the continuation of his adventures. Indeed, he is looking for Tabitha to try to understand exactly her role. It’s not easy and he does not know what he’ll do when he finds her. However, they will team up and they will go to land that few people have walked on. Because what is most important for Eric is to discover what he must do with thes
Nick Nielsen
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
[I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review]

Hungry Ghosts is a wonderful addition to the Eric Carter series by Stephen Blackmoore. The book follows Eric, who is a necromancer that is trying to avenge his sister's death. The basic plot reveals several spoilers for books 1 and 2 in the series, so I will try to gloss over plot details. However, Eric is running ragged because of several factors, and his quest takes him from L.A. down through many parts of Mexico.

The bo
Maja Ingrid
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This one is probably my least favourite of the three. All the books has been a fun enjoyable ride, easy to digest. Necromancy, some blood magic, bit on the trash-side. Eric getting his ass kicked too many times (seriously death god powers or not, he should not have survived the second book). Eric is also asshole #1 but I also love him, with all his snark and sarcasm. Why I didn't like this one just as much as the previous two is because I expected more in the outcome regarding Santa Muerte and M ...more
Brianna
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow. That ending...not the best. I mean, there are still so many things we don't know, and it's unclear if this is the last book in the series. Other than that, it was action-packed, dark, and full of gods. Not my favorite in the series, but still good.
Kev
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

A fun series. Didn't blow my mind, but it was an enjoyable enough way to pass the time.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf
The Eric Carter series is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series, and is up there among my favorite books of all time. Today I am talking about book 3. HUNGRY GHOSTS. If you aren't caught up in this UF/Noir series, you should know that while I try to keep my reviews as spoiler-free as possible, if you're reading a review for book 3, chances are you'll get some spoilers for previous books.

Short and sweet review: Fantastic book 3 that keeps the action flowing, the magic always interesting, and th
Pamela
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actually 4 1/2 stars.
The book is dark, and at times, violent and bloody. Eric is fighting to survive, and his attitude toward his enemies is tough and hard at times. This includes Tabitha. But the novel is good and hooked me enough to keep reading it. What did bother me was his tough attitude and lack of emotions, which he has to be feeling from the way he was betrayed, especially from Tabitha. He does start to deal with those emotions once they meet each other down in Mexico City.

If you enjoy
Jill
Apr 20, 2015 added it
I have not actually read this, but marking "read" is the only way I could post this.

Update from the author's site on the delay...

An Update On Hungry Ghosts
Lisa Tollefson
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was quite good, though I realized pretty quickly that it's not a stand-alone. I will look for the earlier ones, mostly to find out how he got to the predicament this book starts with.
The main character, Eric Carter, is a necromancer, and he's been on a revenge tear for some time before this book. That seems to be his number one motive in all he does. The problem with revenge is that, as Inigo Montoya says, there's no money in it. Also, once you get your revenge, then what? The story just qu
JP
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
(language warning)

“Damn right I don’t deserve it. Nobody fucking deserves it. I’m in the middle of a cosmic threesome I didn’t want to have and I’m the one getting fucked.”

Well that escalated quickly.

Hungry Ghosts gets even further away from the standard necromany stuff and more into the Aztec mythology as Eric tries his hardest to save himself and kill anyone that gets into his way--even if they so happen to be gods.

This time around, Tabitha is back and has a bit of a Santa Muerte problem her
Michael Loring
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hungry Ghosts is the third Eric Carter novel by Stephen Blackmoore, continuing the story of snarky necromancer Eric Carter and his quest to rid himself of his ties to the ancient gods Santa Muerte and Mictlantecuhtli.

In my time as a reader I have found it difficult to get into books about magic users, not sure why. There's just something about it that keeps me off of it. But Stephen Blackmoore's Eric Carter series has me coming back for more every time.

What truly does it for me is Eric himself
Jennifer Wadsworth
This review is for the print version. Originally posted on 2/1/2017 at One Book Two. I received a review copy of this book from the author/publisher. All opinions are my own.

Man! Poor Eric Carter doesn't ever catch a break. He should have known that garnering the attention of two ancient gods is never a good thing.

I have an interesting history with this series. I read Dead Things way back when it first came out. I didn't care for it at the time, yet it stuck with me. So, when GraphicAudio de
Ben Truong
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hungry Ghosts is the third book in the Eric Carter series written by Stephen Blackmoore. It centers on Eric Carter, a necromancer, who embraces his powers over the dead.

As a consequence of his strategic marriage to Santa Muerte, Queen of Mictlan, Eric Carter is slowly petrifying into a jade statue, a fate shared by her other husband, Mictlantecuhtli. Carter knows that the only way to save his skin is to kill both of them.

This leads to a concatenation of escapades that includes dalliances with th
Kris
Definitely not up to the quality of the prior two books, this one drags and sags in the middle. The ending was so underwhelming and anti-climatic, I had to page back to see if I'd accidentally slept through a couple chapters.

One of the reasons, I stopped reading High Fantasy was that everything had become a retread of Tolkien and was all set in English/Scottish/Irish mythology, so I was quite excited to see that this series used New World mythos and Aztecan gods...... and then disappointingly di
Megan
It's sad when your protagonist is trying to be the hero, but he's really just not a good guy. He's not an evil bad guy, per se, but he really is the kind of person you wouldn't cry over if he died. Generally, the best part about reading books through the gruff, morally grey character's perspectives is you can hear their thoughts and know they're not as bad as what they're projecting - but the more I read Carter's thoughts, the less and less I liked him.

Again this book had all the subtlety of an
Carly Vair
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ideally I would give this 4.5 stars. I've been hemming and hawing about it for 20 minutes. Like the other books in the series, it's a hell of a ride. It's dark, raw, authentic, and of course, the world only gets more interesting. In fact, I feel like the books have only scratched the surface of this fascinating universe, and but this book focused more on Eric's internal struggles. His backstory is interesting, his battles with himself are well-written and well-worth exploring, so I'm not even di ...more
Curtis Edmonds
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HUNGRY GHOSTS takes place, largely, in the Aztec afterlife, populated with jaw-breaking Aztec names (and Aztec gods that will do more than break your jaw). It is (probably not intentionally) reminiscent of CHANGES, the pivot point of the Harry Dresden series, which is also Aztec-inflected and ends at sort of the same spot. But the stakes are lower here (we are supposed to care about the fate of the souls of long-dead Aztecs, and whether the hero will turn into a jade statue) and, other than chom ...more
Paula
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
(This applies to the whole trilogy)

These books went by so quickly! The first one was the slowest, because there was some work that got in the way of reading, but book 2 was about two days' reading, and I finished off book 3 this afternoon/evening

I really liked the pacing, the present tense totally worked for them, and I loved the worldbuilding. I love stories that drop details that don't necessarily get neatly resolved by the end - they make the immersion in the world more thorough (and possibly
Debbie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't my favorite of the series but I'm not giving up on the author or Eric Carter. There was too much focus on Aztec mythology for my taste. The story seemed to drag with repetitive introspection. I skipped to the last few chapters instead of quitting the book completely and I realize that's where I should have begun reading from the start. The last third of the book was more of the storytelling that I've come to expect. I'll be ready for another Eric Carter story.
Jason
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one is definitely more refined than the previous two installments, but it has lost none of its charm. This one is definitely a page-turner; it grabbed my attention and demanded I follow it till the end. I ended up reading this book in less than a day because of that.

This is the thrilling conclusion of the story arc (I think?). While some of the twists and turns are predictable, there's quite a few that aren't. I vastly enjoyed this one, even more than the previous two.
Natalie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
The first book was awesome; I loved that the author used Aztec mythology. The second was all right, nothing really spectacular. By this one, I was tired of "the hero is being played, knows he's being played but doesn't figure it all out until the last possible moment" trope. Never mind the "I'll deal with the consequences later" mentality the hero has. Interesting world, loved the Aztec influence, but the hero ...
Lila
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank Burns
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Getting in the middle of a marital spat is never a good idea. Getting in the middle of a marital spat between two Aztec death deities while trying to fulfill a promise to a third Aztec deity is maybe just as bad an idea as it could get.
This series continues to deliver quality entertainment in an unfamiliar setting which helps make the story flow.
Enjoyable and recommended.
Kevin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't like this one as much as the others... probably because I just didn't really start to get into the story until after page 60, before that just felt that there was a lot more telling than showing... Improved a lot after that though.
Thunderhawke23
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An another enjoyable entry into the Eric Carter series

Answers a lot of questions and moves quickly. I enjoyed the pace the character development and the additional details thrown in. A lot of fun.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Missing cover 2 8 Oct 19, 2020 10:55AM
Book Giveaways: Stephen Blackmoore series giveaway 1 8 Jan 30, 2017 05:59AM

• Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Hot Lead, Cold Iron (Mick Oberon, #1)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Dead to Rites (Mick Oberon, #3)
  • Hallow Point (Mick Oberon, #2)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • In Truth and Claw (Mick Oberon, #4)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
Stephen Blackmoore is the author of the noir / urban fantasy Eric Carter series (DEAD THINGS, BROKEN SOULS, HUNGRY GHOSTS, and FIRE SEASON), about a necromancer in modern-day Los Angeles.

You can find him online at stephenblackmoore.com, or follow him on Twitter at @sblackmoore.

Eric Carter (6 books)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Fire Season
  • Ghost Money (Eric Carter #5)
  • Bottle Demon (Eric Carter #6)

News & Interviews