Start by marking “Prince's Gambit (Captive Prince, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince's Gambit (Captive Prince, #2)

Prince's Gambit

(Captive Prince #2)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  29,232 ratings  ·  3,598 reviews
With their countries on the brink of war, Damen and his new master, Prince Laurent, must exchange the intrigues of the palace for the sweeping might of the battlefield as they travel to the border to avert a lethal plot.

Forced to hide his identity, Damen finds himself increasingly drawn to the dangerous, charismatic Laurent. But as the fledgling trust between the two men d
Paperback, Berkley trade paperback edition, 404 pages
Published July 7th 2015 by Berkley (first published February 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Prince's Gambit, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Relika McNulty Hhaha! Damien is on top :D

Emily May
Feb 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, 2016
Okay, we need to talk about this. Because I am literally starting to feel like I read a completely different book from everyone else.

The only thing I got from this book was: COCKS. COCKS EVERYWHERE.

I quite liked (but didn't love) the first book; I had some issues but I pushed them to the back of my mind because I was so happy to have both a M/M romance in fantasy AND for it to be slow burn. But I just... can't anymore. I don't understand. It has a 4.62 average rating. All my friends seem to love
Lola
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third read: July 27th, 2015

A kingdom, or this.

Oh god, I'm such a pathetic mess. I grew so attached to Damen & Laurent that it hurts and maybe you find it stupid to feel so helplessly bewitched but this is the best and most perfect, in all its flaws, love story I've ever read.

These are not my two favorite quotes, but they're powerful if you're able to catch their meaning, and they represent Damen & Lau
Navessa
I am not going to review this book. Because I cannot review this book. Because there are no words for this book, other than these:

This is my new favorite book of all time. Nothing else even comes close.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Candace
As the 'Captive Prince' series progresses, I find myself completely lost in the story of Damen and Laurent. Talk about a slow-burn, I have been dying for something to happen between these two. The anticipation was absolutely killing me.

While the first book primarily focused on the hedonistic indulgences and cruelty of Laurent's court, this second book shows more of the inner workings. Many of the pieces are beginning to fall into place. There is far more to Laurent's situation than meets the eye
Julio Genao
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: Susan
Shelves: loved
reck-uh-lus be-hay-vyuh.

description

dunno why laurent makes me think of zayn malik.

maybe it's the way malik is so desperate to appear a man that his first solo video after 1D is of him lavishly acting out a sexual fantasy with various women, including the one below, while wearing the scruffiest of beards.

as if that could ever truly disguise his elfin, boyish, swoopy-haired beauty.

but they always try, don't they, pretty boys.

they grow unfortunate mustaches and delete the bounce in their step in favor of a
Whitney Atkinson
OH MY GOD

this is definitely turning out to be a much better series than the first half of book one makes it seem.

I knew going into this that it was everyone's favorite in the series and I CAN SEE WHY!!!! I just love books that explore angsty relationships with slow-burning romance and I KNEEWWWW that laurent had a deeper layer that we didn't get to see in book one. These two characters are just developed so exquisitely that I could not put this book down. They seem like real people they're so t
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
”Never had he wanted something this badly, and held it in his hands knowing that tomorrow it would be gone, traded for the high cliffs of Ios, and the uncertain future across the border, the chance to stand before his brother, to ask him for all the answers that no longer seemed so important. A kingdom, or this.”

Can I just say how much I love this book?!
I love, love, love, love, love, love and adore it to bits and pieces!!! XD

Prince’s Gambit has everything I want in a good book and since the
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT ...more
🦊 Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

Never had he wanted something this badly, and held it in his hands knowing that tomorrow it would be gone.”

S T O R Y ⭐⭐⭐⭐
When I first heard about this series I didn’t know what I should be thinking.
Was I interested? I wasn’t sure.
It sounded interesting, but it wasn’t like other books where I literally threw everything other to the side and started reading.
And even though the first book wasn’t perfect, it st
Judith
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judith by: ravngirl ((prv. Jxsxph.k))
4.5 Stars.

Delicious.....

What can I say that hasn't already been said...
But I will echo a lot of people and say,so far,this is definitely the best book.

Damen and Laurent are two of the most sensual characters I've read about.....this isn't dirty sex at all.

Right so this book definitely had a different feel about it.There isn't the hedonistic vibe so much.
It's a lot different from book one but in a good way.

M/M is my absolute fav thing and if someone said try a book with no sex scenes until the en
Dd
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites

LOVED it!!

It was AMAZING,FABULOUS,BRILLIANT,WONDERFUL.....

Shall I go on???

I am speechless!Can't say anything except that I'm awestruck by its brilliance!!I devoured this book.

It made me laugh,smile,scream,bite my nails,....just loved it!

And what else?

Did I mention that I loved it?

Please read these gems!!!That's all I'm trying to say!

That's all for now.

Ta-Ta!!
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
#1 Captive Prince ★★★★★
#2 Prince's Gambit ★★★★★
#3 King's Rising ★★★★★

“To get what you want, you have to know exactly how much you are willing to give up.”

I was pleasantly surprised by the first book in this trilogy, but that was nothing compared to how much I loved the second installment. Everything that I enjoyed in Captive Prince was magnified in Prince's Gambit, plus the character development was everything I wanted and more.

“That’s right, I’m still captured,’ said Damen.
‘Your eyes say, “
Susan
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Muthaf’ing Brilliant.

Captive Prince is (so far) 2 books, 30 chapters, of the most intense foreplay, the most brilliant war strategy, the most dysfunctional family…with one of the most satisfying, mind-blowing, WTF’ing endings/cliffhangers…

I loved Volume 2. Yes, it got sloggy at times with some of the war bits…or that’s just me admitting that I was confused, and sometimes lost…”Wait, who’s betraying who now?” But, the relationship between Damen & Laurent continues to build bit by painstaking
Rachel
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* For anyone looking for the Timelines of this series, here are the links:
Prince's Gambit Timeline
Complete Captive Prince Series Timelines
I also posted them on GR in the Timeline and Cliffnotes section of Captivated.

It says a lot about a book when it can transform a 33 year old heterosexual female who has been an avid reader of the M/F romance genre for 15 years into a M/M genre addict. On a chilly February night I was craving a historical M/F enemies to lovers romance novel to warm me up -
Kai
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This was even better than Captive Prince. Sudden plot twists, excellent scheming and unbearable tension made this book worth their 5 stars.
I'm honestly impressed. I've read a review about this book before starting it, and it said this was all about cock and more cock. So that's what I exepcted, sex scene after sex scene. But C. S. Pacat wrote an extremely well plotted, hence intruiging novel.
What really killed m
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Oct 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned, year-2016, 1-star
Actual Rating: 1.5 Stars

Buddy read this with the fabulous Kainat, except she abandoned me in favor of more interesting books which I totally don't even blame her for!

See, in my review of Captive Prince I may have said I would not touch the second installment in this series with a ten foot pole? Well...I lied.

Why, you say, do we keep reading books that we expect to hate? Well. It's because... I'm a fan of well-informed hatred. PLUS, this series has an obscene amount of positive reviews... and I'
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
Re-read 2/6/15...because book 3 finally came out and - not gonna lie - I can't remember SHIT about books 1 and 2...My bad!

Original Review:

This was sooooooo good.

The plot is all twisty and turny and just when you think you know what's going to happen?

The Regent be like:

Laurent be like:

Damen be like:

Val be like:

description

Until I found out book 3 isn't out yet???!!!

Then?

Shin Mon Thway
Reread: 10th June 2018

So much raw emotions and honesty. It was like using a magnifying glass and analyzing the two very hearts and souls of these two imperfectly perfect couple. *happy sigh* 😌 Laurent and Damianos will always have a place in my heart. 😍

Original review: Revised edition

I don't want this to end .. I really don't. 😭 And I'm quite sad that I've finished book two and now there's only one book left in this trilogy. These books are simply just too awesome! 👏

In the first book, we learnt
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
“It felt, in all the lies between them, as if this was the only true thing.”

description

Do you remember in my review for Captive Prince where I said this book/series may not be for everyone?

Yeah. Scratch that. I take it back.

This series needs to be read by EVERY SINGLE PERSON!

I don't care if you "don't do M/M."

I don't care if you "don't like fantasy."

This series is INSANE. And I mean that in the best way possible.

It has the MOST INTENSE unbearable sexual tension, the most dysfunctional crazy families,
Hamad
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“I lack,” said Laurent, “the easy mannerisms that are usually shared with,” you could see him pushing the words out, “a lover.”
“You lack the easy mannerisms that are usually shared with anyone,” said Damen.”

🌟 Prince’s Gambit is one of the best books I have read this year, if not ever!
The author stepped up her game in all aspects of the story.

🌟 If you read this book or you are planning to, then we are past the controver
Sabrina The Trash Queen

JUST MAGNIFICENT, I’m dead!!.!!

I’ve reread this book so many time and every time I love it more and more! How is that possible?

Slow burn at its finest!

Okay, I LOVED EVERY SINGLE BLOOD FUCKING SECOND OF THIS BOOK, couldn’t be happier with this!!!!!!!

“It was like being alone in a pit with a snake: the snake could relax, you could not.”

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK WAS ON POINT.

“Laurent got only two words out before the man simply did what most people wanted to do when speaking with Laurent: he

☆ Todd
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

*This* story is what I wanted more of in book 1. The setup in the first story was critical; however, here we finally get to see Damen and Laurent becoming a team. Building a strong, yet still fragile, trust.

Plus, the plotting and scheming in the first book didn't hold a candle to the underhanded planning carefully and precisely played out in book 2.

I do have to admit that these books continue to frustrate the shit out of my 'romance' heart, as getting moments of affection from Laurent are equiva
Loederkoningin
2016 reread

I feared that 2016 me would possibly be less impressed with this series the second time around. Little did I know that I'd read until 3 AM to finish this book this last night, which is rare for a reread. It's even better than I remembered.

2012 review

M/m romance has not only become an addiction, it also opens all these little doors inside my head to different scenario's for my favorite books and films. For example, imagine how exciting it would've been if Lord of the Rings Strider did
Kyle
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Much better than Volume One!

I was a bit disappointed when I finished Volume One, but now having finished Volume Two I can see how it was simply a setup for Volume Two. With Laurent and Damen forced to trust each other in order to avoid a war between their two countries, a new sexual tension starts to build between the two of them. As the book progresses it gets to the point where you want to shout at the book, "oh just do it already!"

The complex plot is great as Laurent tries to outwit his uncl

Lia  (a paper pigeon)

If there's something rereads taught me over this past few years, it's how much your judgment on a book can change (for the better or worse) after you read it more than once.
Prince's Gambit is the actual confimation of this statement, since I loved it the first time I read it, and adored it this time around.
I feel like the slow burn was easier to handle in this one, not to mention how the writing improved in a
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

OHMYGAWD, OHMAGAWD!! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! (view spoiler)

*takes a deep breath*

Okay, obviously (view spoiler) In which case . . . shiiiiiiit.

Full RTC.

Pre-review:

#sorrynotsorry
Sana
***May include spoilers from this book and there will definitely be major spoilers from the previous book***

Raising a star because of people. ಠ_ಠ
My review for Captive Prince here.

Well, this was 10 times better than the first book and less revolting as well. In Captive Prince, rape was mentioned a lot and it got a bit uncomfortable and gross, but in this book there is barely anything mentioned about it. (Maybe I'm wrong and missed something, but feel free to correct me!)

Spoilers from here on!

jessica
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well, this didnt feel as problematic to me as the first book, so thats something! i think with the main focus being on the upcoming war and court power plays, it left enough room for a very slow burn romance, which i felt was the best way for this story to be told. the writing was such an asset to this as well - the words were so rich and vibrant. i will say though that i would have preferred the two books combined (with possibly even the third one), as this feels to me like one whole story that ...more
DayDreamer

Of course it would end there. Of bloody course.
Actually I expected it to end 20-ish pages earlier, but it makes more sense this way.

Quotes ahead. Spoilers for Vol. 2.

A kingdom, or this.

Laurent said, ‘When this campaign is over, I think — if you are a man and not a worm — you will attempt to gain retribution for what has happened to you. I expect it. On that day, we roll the dice and see how they fall. Until then,
YA Buddy Readers'...: Captive Prince Series by C.S. Pacat - Restarting September 16th 2018 29 171 Sep 20, 2018 03:40PM