Start by marking “I Regret Nothing” as Want to Read:
I Regret Nothing

I Regret Nothing

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  4,868 Ratings  ·  547 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Jen Lancaster has lived a life based on re-invention and self-improvement. From Bitter Is the New Black to The Tao of Martha, she’s managed to document her (and her generation’s) attempts to shape up, grow up, and have it all—sometimes with disastrous results…

Sure Jen has made mistakes. She spent all her money from a high-paying job on sho
Published May 5th 2015 by NAL (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about I Regret Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Regret Nothing

Lisa
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I used to count the minutes until the next Jen Lancaster release, and then stay up all night laughing harder than at a typical comedy show. Things have changed. I still feel this allegiance, and still buy the books, but don't feel captured in the same way. No laugh out loud moments, but maybe a small smile here and there. I think it can be summed up in saying - I used to think "I could totally hang out with her", could see her fitting right in to my circle of friends. She was driven, but funny, ...more
Obsidian
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I have either really loved Lancaster's memoirs (Bitter is the New Black) felt meh about them (Pretty in Plaid) or just downright did not like them ( Jeneration X).

This was I felt just meh about in the end. This memoir follows Lancaster trying to cross things off her bucket list. Now age 46, Lancaster finds herself throwing herself into more things since her beloved dog Maisy passes.

Some of the things on Lancaster's list like learn a language and travel to Italy are really engrossing to read abo
Melissa
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I used to be a HUGE fan of Jen Lancaster. What I consider The Jen Trilogy (Bitter Is The New Black, Bright Lights, Big Ass, and Such A Pretty Fat) are books that I go back and re-read time and time again.

But somewhere along the way, Jen lost her spark. That funny, snarky, we-could-totally-be-friends-if-she-gave-me-a-chance way of writing that left me crying with laughter and wanting more.

Part of me thinks it's because she's older now and more settled. Not that being settled is a bad thing, but
Kathleen
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reminder to self--stop reading Jen Lancaster books. Sure, you want to relive the good times. But the good times are gone. Her humor is lacking, her "problems" less compelling, and her preachy asides at an all time high. Let it go, Kathleen, let it go.
Vanessa
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Jen Lancaster may very well be my spirit animal. I Regret Nothing is best devoured with a glass of wine and shared with your best of friends. Jen’s writing is honest, authentic, and funny as hell. This book will have you constantly laughing out loud.

In this book, Jen takes us on the comical roller coaster that is her life. From starting her own business, to learning Italian and visiting Rome, and even buying adult tricycles, Jen will have you laughing out loud at her antics. You will not want to
Hilary Grossman
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You know that feeling you get when you catch up with an old friend you haven't seen in a while? Well, that is the feeling that I had as I read each and every page of I Regret Nothing... As in all of her other memoirs, as you read, you feel like you are hanging out and chatting with an old friend. I loved being able to catch up on Jen's life, see how old friends are doing and meet some new ones too.

There were so many laugh out loud moments in this book. And there were also some very serious momen
Liz
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
the first JL book I had no interest in finishing. she has jumped the proverbial shark. she seems really obsessed with what others think of her, while shrugging them off simultaneously. the result is shallow and stunted. I swore off her after the last book but like an addict came back to have one last taste and that was the one that finally did me in.
The Cyber Hermit
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was not the best I've read from Lancaster but it was a small step up from "Jeneration X" and "The Tao of Martha".

I think what I and many people responded to in Lancaster's earlier books ("Bitter is the New Black", "Such a Pretty Fat", etc) was the ability of the author to be self-deprecating, to understand where she made mistakes and to grow from her experiences. She appeared invested in her life and her marriage and willing to bare some of her missteps along the way. She was relatable
Melanie Johnson
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have always been a big fan of Jen Lancaster's books and am glad to see that she has returned to her snarky, funny, sidebar self. MUCH better book than the Tao of Martha, which was quite depressing. After reading her book, I was ready to board a plane (Business Class, of course) and head to Rome to eat mozzarella and lots of pasta. Glad to see the fog has lifted!
Meg
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I enjoy the style of writing, but a lot of this felt like filler, unlike some of her previous works that had a more cohesive narrative.
Debi
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was a huge fan of Lancaster's first couple of memoirs. I often described her to people as "the chubby female conservative straight version of David Sedaris." Similar to Sedars, I have laughed out loud at her non-fiction and have zero interest in the novels she writes.

I was so excited to see that Lancaster had another memoir coming out and couldn't wait to read it. In "I Regret Nothing" she mentions that some of her fans tell her they liked her a lot more when she was poor. I have to agree - it
Celeste Cassino
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
As usual with Jen Lancaster's memoirs, I Regret Nothing was a pleasure to read. There were times when I laughed, and lots of times when I nodded my head in agreement. She puts into print, with good humor, things that we can all relate to. I have enjoyed watching her "grow up" through her books.

I do have to say that although I find her sidebars amusing and worth reading, like a previous reviewer, I agree that the use of the word "sidebar" got tiring. A * would have served her better.

*I receive
Mrs. Bradshaw
I was pretty disappointed with this one. I have long considered Jen Lancaster to be my favorite author, but when Tao of Martha came out two years ago and I had felt like I was forcing myself to get through it, I was worried I may no longer be a fan of Jen's. Now, with I Regret Nothing under my belt, I'm even more concerned of that potential. I think Lancaster is incredibly funny, but lately I've just not been connecting with her. Her writing seems forced, and I think she's running out of ideas. ...more
Laura Stoddard
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm kind of over Jen Lancaster. She's funny, of course, but in her latest books, the situations seem a little more contrived. Not buying the stories so much anymore. Instead of laughing out loud, like I used to, now I raise an eyebrow and go, Really?

And references to her exorbitant author-based wealth abound. Used to relate to you Jen. Now that you're Megabucks (and you constantly remind us) I'm feeling a little left out of the party.
Kate
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I've known since practically the beginning that Jen and I don't mesh politically, but I've kept reading her books (missing some here and there) based on my enjoyment of Bitter Is The New Black, which I read an ARC of a million years ago. But when, less than twenty pages into this one, she made an unnecessarily racist remark that was unrelated to the story she was telling, I was done. Life is too short to put up with casual racism in my frothy memoirs.
Marla
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
If you want to be entertained, read this book. You aren't going to be taken to another dimension, live in another world or learn how to fix something. What you are going to do is take a ride through Jen Lancaster's life and laugh a little and see yourself a little. I really enjoyed reading this and enjoyed being entertained for a few days.
Read In Colour
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Not as funny as she used to be, but not terrible.
Kimberly
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy of the book through a goodreads giveaway. This is an honest review.
From the moment I read the dedication I was hooked.
Let me start by saying I'm part of Gen X too. This book spoke volumes to me, and the message is loud and clear, live your life but do so in way that you don't regret (Jen also gives advice if you do have regrets but I won't spoil). Create bucket lists and get out there and live.

As I write this electronic review, I think about Jen's suggestion to step
Randee
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I've been a fan of Jen Lancaster's since her first book 'Bitter is the New Black.' I've read each one as they have come out and enjoyed them. There's just something about her life and writing that appeals to me. She's a huge animal lover and I always enjoy reading about her dogs and cats. She's amusing whether she is succeeding or failing at some endeavor. She does not suffer fools gladly and can be quite snarky (a character trait I prize, although one has to have a good heart to not come off as ...more
Molly
Sigh. I know I've said this after finishing the last several Jen Lancaster books, but I think I mean it this time: we need a break. I can't decide if she's always been this irritating and sanctimonious or if I've just outgrown her particular brand of humor. And also I thought she used to be funny? I got a few chuckles out of this book, but it felt mostly like a treatise of "look how great I am! I have no regrets! Isn't life great when you start acting like a grownup?" Here's the thing: this whol ...more
Kourtney
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Always funny! For real, does she want to be my friend!?! We live sooooo close to each other :)
Ashley
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
#
CompNtBk
Borrowed from library.

FS: "Don't get a tattoo."

LS: "Because regretting nothing is the new black."
Melanie  Koerperich
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So far this has been my favorite book of hers. There are still a few left for me to check out but I did find this one extremely enjoyable.
Patty
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just wanna go to Rome.
Neri.
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yet again one of those books were you can clearly see where author tries too hard to funny and relatable. It had some good laughs but nothing more that could interest a casual reader.
Darlene
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Originally posted on Peeking Between the Pages: http://www.peekingbetweenthepages.com...

Let’s just start right off by me saying that I absolutely loved I Regret Nothing: A Memoir by Jen Lancaster! I listened to the audio version which is read by Jen herself and if you’ve never listened to her narrate one of her own books you are really missing out. I’ve listened to a couple of them and she is fantastic. Her personality and humor shine through as you listen and since I find her incredibly funny l
Diane Dachota
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Long time fan Of Jen Lancaster and I loved her earlier books, like Bitter is the New Black and Such a Pretty Fat. Jen's a humor memoirist, and she is mostly known for writing about her struggles as a semi-poor, overweight struggling writer. She is still funny, but her humor doesn't translate as well now that she is wealthy and not struggling at all.

This books loosely ties in with a bucket list although it is more along the lines of Jen doing things randomly and then putting them on a bucket list
Jennifer Gillette
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I was fooled into thinking our old Jen was back, since I've enjoyed her fiction books and she had redeemed herself for the disappointment that is Tao of Martha. However...no.

I think she's run out of ideas. No, actually, she's coming up with ideas rather than writing humorously about her life. It's clear she needed a concept for a book, and bucket list it is! Although I call it a BS list bcuz some things are just not bucket worthy - really, a new playlist? (But I'm totally with her about adding
Kim Weiss
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Can there be humor without pathos? That was the rhetorical question that came to my mind as I read this book.

Lancaster's first few books were funny because they described things going wrong. This is not unusual--many books are about "bosses (or roommates or dates) from hell" and who doesn't like a list of really bad songs, books or movies? You won't get much of that in this book.

Everything Lancaster touches turns to gold, at least according to the memoir. She wants to ride a tricycle (the best
Angela
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In her latest memoir, Lancaster seems more content with life, and more content = less ranty. Probably great for her mental health, but again, a bit of a tonal change for longtime fans. While I Regret Nothing isn't short on snark or humor, everything seems to be a bit muted (dulled?) by her more reflective attitude. That doesn't make the memoir lesser in and of itself (and some would argue that the opposite is true), but it does make it different different from her earliest, brashest works.

That
Around the Year i...: I Regret Nothing, by Jen Lancaster 1 13 Jan 10, 2016 06:47PM
  • Has Anyone Seen My Pants?
  • The Potty Mouth at the Table
  • Save Karyn: One Shopaholic's Journey to Debt and Back
  • Off the Menu
  • Belle Weather: Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Scattered Hissy Fits
  • It's All Relative: Two Families, Three Dogs, 34 Holidays, and 50 Boxes of Wine (A Memoir)
  • Happily Ali After: And Other Fairly True Tales
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • Dan Gets a Minivan: Life at the Intersection of Dude and Dad
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
  • A Spoonful of Sugar: A Nanny's Story
  • Meeting Mr. Wrong: The Romantic Misadventures of a Southern Belle
  • Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life
  • How About Never—Is Never Good for You?: My Life in Cartoons
  • Fat Is the New 30: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Coping with (the crappy parts of) Life
  • Garfield Lard of the Jungle: His 52nd Book
Jen Lancaster is the author of her own memoirs including: as Bitter is the New Black, Bright Lights, Big Ass, Such A Pretty Fat, Pretty in Plaid, My Fair Lazy, and the newest: Jeneration X.

She has also dabbled with fiction in her first book, If You Were Here.
More about Jen Lancaster

$6.99 $2.99
  • Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
    $13.99 $1.99
“Ultimately, my goal in life is to arrive at the finish line without having regrets.” 3 likes
“At my age, I feel like I’m halfway to the finish line and life’s too short to do what I’m sure to hate.” 3 likes