Start by marking “A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)

A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,879 Ratings  ·  289 Reviews
From the national bestselling author of A Grave Matter comes the latest riveting mystery featuring a most “unusual and romantic” (Judith Rock) sleuth…

Scotland, 1831. After a tumultuous courtship complicated by three deadly inquiries, Lady Kiera Darby is thrilled to have found both an investigative partner and a fiancé in Sebastian Gage. But with her well-meaning—and very
Published July 7th 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Death, please sign up.
Jackie While the mysteries themselves are relatively standalone, I would definitely recommend reading the books in order, otherwise you'll miss essential…moreWhile the mysteries themselves are relatively standalone, I would definitely recommend reading the books in order, otherwise you'll miss essential character development and the build up with certain relationships.(less)

Caz
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B+ at AAR

This is the fourth book in Anna Lee Huber’s series of historical mysteries featuring Lady Keira Derby and her gorgeous but enigmatic partner-in-investigation, Sebastian Gage. At the end of A Grave Matter (the previous book in this series), readers were at last treated to the thing that many of us have been waiting for since The Anatomist's Wife - namely the resolution of the slow-burn romance between the protagonists which has built gradually during the three murder i
Lauren
A Study in Death
4 Stars

Eager to escape her sister’s obsessive wedding plans, Lady Kiera Darby gladly accepts a commission to paint Lady Drummond’s portrait. Kiera soon realizes that the Baroness is suffering psychological and perhaps even physical abuse at her husband’s hands. So when Lady Drummond is discovered writhing in agony, Kiera suspects foul play and is determined to uncover the truth no matter where it may lead her …

Warning: There are significant spoilers for books 1-3 in this installm
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Lady Darby Series. Its a historical mystery and there are only five books.
Misfit
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, love the hero and can't wait for the next installment.

For those who haven't read the first three, you shouldn't be reading recaps of this book unless you want to be thoroughly spoiled. If you have read the first three, you have a good idea of what's involved and I don't need to waste my time with it. All in all, a nice little murder mystery, more developments on the Gage and Kiera relationship and a few more hints about Gage's mysterious past.

When does the next one come out?

Ki
Jaclyn
A Study in Death is the fourth installment in Huber's Lady Darby historical mystery series and just so happens to be one of my most anticipated reads of the summer. I've really enjoyed the series to date and was ready to dive into this one and while I certainly enjoyed this one, I have to admit to being a tiny bit disappointed.

Having read the previous three books I was well aware of Kiera's progress from insular artist to a confident investigator and I really appreciated the character growth tha
Nidofito
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Fun and quick to read. Both Kiera and Gage are stubborn but I am noticing that Gage is more often the first to apologize after a disagreement and tended to acquiesce to Kiera's requests towards the end. She's quick to temper and there was a time where I thought she was being unfair to Gage's emotions particularly because he had possibly been through a life-changing conversation with his father and I think she needed to allow him time to process. At least she didn't complain to his face, thank go ...more
Mary
Wish I could say I loved this installment, but the mystery was fairly weak, and the relationship between Lady Darby and Gage didn't progress so much as stall on the ol' trust issue. The big reveal of his shady doings in Greece was delivered too quickly and clinically to merit much emotion, and ultimately, I was disappointed by the lack of chemistry between the main characters. Too much of the book was devoted to the sister's medical troubles and marriage issues, and even though Kiera's relations ...more
Beth
Another great addition to the Lady Darby series! I like how this story spent a bit more time on character development and showed some different aspects of certain people that previously hadn't been seen. Heather Wilds is an entertaining narrator as well.
The Lit Bitch
After reading the third Lady Darby book, I hoped this one would return to better investigations as the third book investigation left me feeling a little on the wanting side. While it was still a four star book for me, I simply felt like I needed more out of the next book. The relationship between Gage and Kiera saved the third book for me so I was hoping this one would improve the series.

I am happy to report that this book had a lot more mystery and it was a bit darker which I liked. It reminded
Debbie
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, mystery
"A Study in Death" is a historical mystery set in 1831 in Scotland. This book is the fourth in the series, and I'd highly recommend starting with the first book if the series interests you. The details of previous mysteries were spoiled in this book. Also, I might have understood why Gage puts up with Lady Darby if I'd read the previous books. She demands that Gage do things her way and that he trust her abilities completely, but she doesn't return the respect she demands. She doesn't trust Gage ...more
Staci
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This fourth book in the Lady Darby mysteries is my favorite so far! Lady Darby has gained confidence throughout the series. The romance element of these novels is delightful. I also enjoyed the return of notorious Bonnie Brock Kincaid.

This series is recommended for fans of historical mysteries.
Keri
4.5 Stars. LOVE this series!
Mei
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Here we get Keira to istigate an investigation!

It's interesting to see how she becomes more and more confident! I loved her showing a backbone!

We get to know also Gage's father: a righteous (gag) prick! There were times I wanted to slap him soundly! What an odious man!
But I got the feeling that the majority of men of that time were the same... poor women...

In all a wonderful read! I'm looking forward to find out how the married life is for Keira and Gage! *wink*
Lona (Windowsill Books)
Mar 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really did love the earlier books in this series, but man, it is just getting repetitive now. The same old unfounded trust issues between Gage and Kiera and the same old random case with a slew of unnotable characters.

Also, I am real over Kiera's whole "help me; I have a tragic past" bit. It is getting real old. We are on book 4 and Kiera's character has not grown much. If anything, it's kind of getting worse and becoming more whinny.

Will not continue on with the series. Book #2 was great th
❂ Jennifer
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This series has been just one great book after another and every time I think the author is going to go in a trite or cliched direction, she surprises me and takes me interesting places. This book is no exception. Great characters, really great mystery.

More wordy review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/120110...
Lady Wesley
I always enjoy an adventure with Kiera and Gage. Well, mostly Gage.
LORI CASWELL
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Lady Darby has left the planning of her upcoming nuptials to her sister who needs something to keep her mind on during her confinement waiting for her baby to be born. With no pending inquires with husband to be Sebastian Gage, Kiera takes a commission from Lord Drummond to paint a portrait of his wife. Sadly Lord Drummond is much like most men in this era and view their wives as property and are abusive. This strikes very close to home for Kiera. Before she can help Lady Drum
Melissa
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
See my other reviews at Never Enough Books

Following a rather interesting courtship, Lady Kiera Darby is more than thrilled to have an investigative partner and fiance in Mister Sebastian Gage. Wanting only a simple ceremony, Kiera finds herself capitulating to the wishes of her well-meaning sister who seems intent on making the wedding the event of the season.

Seeking solace from the ensuing madness, Kiera takes on a commission to paint a portrait of Lady Drummond. The sadness in the elder woman’
Carole (in Canada)
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ms. Huber never fails to amaze me! This 4th book in her Lady Darby series was brilliant! It was gripping, intense, atmospheric and I absolutely loved it! In order to follow the story arc, I highly recommend reading the first book 'The Anatomist's Wife' which begins the tale of Lady Keira Darby and the horror of her infamous marriage and how trouble finds her even in seclusion at her brother-in-law's estate in Scotland.

Lady Darby is a gifted artist with a wounded soul. How she battles back from
Christy Carlyle
4.5 stars - A STUDY IN DEATH is the first of Anna Lee Huber’s Lady Darby mysteries I’ve read, and now I cannot wait to get my hands on the first three books in the series. A STUDY IN DEATH is everything I crave in a historical mystery. It features an interesting setting, a likable and compelling sleuthing team, and a mystery complex enough to keep me guessing. In Lady Kiera Darby, Huber has created a heroine who would be an interesting protagonist, even if she wasn’t solving crimes in Victorian ...more
Linniegayl
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
So many mystery series start out great and then gradually becoming boring: not so Ms. Huber's Lady Darby series! I loved virtually everything about this book. The mystery was complicated and interesting. The setting -- in Ireland -- was fascinated and I enjoyed the historical details added to the plot. In fact, I would love to see more historical mysteries set in Ireland.

In the last entry in the series they married at the end. As this begins they're on their honeymoon when Gage receives a letter
Nidofito
I'm probably the worst person to ask how a Lady Darby book was.

I don't even care that it's exam week. I HAD to read this book.

And I gotta say, it was good to go back. With an apt title, the story was much of a study where we see how women of different status have to compromise, live through their choices, and their marriages, for better and for worse. I am a little sad to see a UST (which was so delicious in this series) become a RST, and tbh, I'm kinda ready for this series to end. The romance
Melodie
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Thanks to all the book friends who got me interested in this series! I don't really care much for period stories, but I definitely make an exception for these books. I wasn't all that crazy about the previous book in this series, but this one was back to form. Looking forward to the next one! RECOMMEND!
OpenBookSociety.com
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: daniele, jeanie

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

I greatly enjoy the Lady Darby mystery series and had high expectations for A Study in Death, the fourth installment. I was not disappointed for it is a fantastic read!

Kiera, Lady Darby, is a widow whose independent nature has never really fit in with the shallow Society in early nineteenth century Scotland. The scandal surrounding her first marriage and death of her husband has left her haunted and on the outskirts of
Sabrina
Another thrilling book in the Lady Darby series.

Lady Darby is finishing a portrait for a new client and friend when the woman dies suddenly and lady Darby believes it to be murder. However, no one but her fiance an inquiry agent believes her. She has an uphill battle to prove she is right when rumors from her past as an anatomists wife get in the way of anyone taking her seriously. Add to that her fiance's father and friend of the murdered woman's husband shows up to try and break up her engagem
Sommertime
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
I really enjoyed the mystery in this one. Kiera is convinced her client was poisoned. The murderer came as quite a surprise.

Kiera and Gage are engaged to be married and there are many conflicts in Kiera's life. Her pregnant sister is in danger of losing her baby and her life, can she and Gage learn to trust each other, will the rumors ever stop, will her father-in-law ever approve of their marriage?

The highlight for me, was seeing Bonny Brock once again. I hope we see more of him.

Kiera's constan
Betty Strohecker
This is perhaps my favorite book of the series. In addition to investigating a murder, Kiera and Gage are faced with the sudden arrival of Gage's father from London who is not happy that his son announced his engagement to Lady Darby. Captain Lord Gage, renowned inquiry agent for the crown, had already negotiated marriage contracts with the father of a debutante he had selected for his son and is furious that Sebastian has defied him and chosen the most unacceptable Kiera Darby.

An interesting c
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
Another winner. I love Kiera and Gage--although Kiera is stubborn and petulant at times but usually it's short lived and she's aware of it. However, I can't help but love how she challenges men who think poorly of women, I can't help but respect how she brushes off what society thinks of her and I can't help but love how kind she is--even to those who don't deserve it.

Also, I LOVE BONNIE BROCK!!!!

Great mystery.
Linda
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 1831, and Kiera finds herself embroiled in another investigation in Edinburgh. Her friend's death has been declared due to natural causes, but Kiera is sure that she was murdered, and she's determined to learn the truth, even if certain men in power oppose her She finds her own life in danger when she gets too close to the truth. The narrator of these audios is perfect.
Rebecca
"Some men gamble, and some race phaetons or chase lightskirts. I solve murders."

I am enjoying this sleuthing duo of Gage and Kiera. The mysteries aren't complex but the character and society complexities compensate for it. I look forward to the next installment.
Saucy Wenches Boo...: September - A Study in Death 19 9 Oct 02, 2017 09:07AM
Romance Audiobooks: A Study in Death by Anna Lee Huber (Lady Darby #4) 23 25 Jun 03, 2016 08:40PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 5 Feb 04, 2015 09:56AM
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • Twelfth Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.6)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Dangerous to Know (Lady Emily, #5)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery #3)
  • Murder in Grosvenor Square (Captain Lacey, #9)
Anna Lee Huber is the Daphne award-winning author of the national bestselling Lady Darby Mysteries, the Verity Kent Mysteries, the Gothic Myths series, and the forthcoming anthology The Jacobite’s Watch. She is a summa cum laude graduate of Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee, where she majored in music and minored in psychology. She currently resides in Indiana with her family and is hard ...more
More about Anna Lee Huber

Lady Darby Mystery (7 books)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)
  • An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning