Start by marking “Asking for It (Asking for It, #1)” as Want to Read:
Asking for It (Asking for It, #1)

Asking for It

(Asking for It #1)

“This is who I am. This is what I want. Now I need a man dangerous enough to give it to me.”

Graduate student Vivienne Charles is afraid of her own desires—ashamed to admit that she fantasizes about being taken by force, by a man who will claim her completely and without mercy. When the magnetic, mysterious Jonah Marks learns her secret, he makes an offer that stuns her:
Published June 2nd 2015 by Berkley

photo oie_V6aUcMRXCAxE_zpsoa3tb6h7.gif

photo oie_3M9KPHt1jbVB_zpsosjdgtm5.png

photo oie_77IxrWthFhXs_zpsrl9v1abu.gif

photo oie_2tHf1DoCh1Ak_zps5tlxeclz.gif

"I could back you into that alleyway," he whispers. "Just a few feet away. Five steps and we'd be in the dark, where nobody could see you, and nobody could stop me."
"I'd scream."
Jonah's eyes darken. He likes it when I play along. "I wouldn't let you," he says, as two of his fingers slide up to cover my lips. "I could cover your mouth while I pinned you against the wall. That would leave me one hand free. So I could reach up under that little dress of yours. Pull your panties down."

It's dark when Vivienne's car breaks down with a blown tire. Changing the tire proves to be a challenge and when a dark and slightly dangerous stranger offers his help, she doesn't decline his assistance even though he makes her nervous. After the deed is done, he sends her off with the words…

"You should be more careful who you trust."

At a friends' party, Vivienne meets the stranger again. His name is Jonah Marks and he's a professor of seismology and volcanology. Vivienne's ex-boyfriend (who is actually a very nice guy) is gracing the party with his drunk presence and, while inadvertently spilling Vivienne's kinky fantasies, the embarrassing faux-pas encourages Jonah to make her a tempting offer.

"I want to tell you this now--tonight, while you're safe, and with your friends, and you know I'm not threatening you. What your ex said--if that's the fantasy you want, I can give it to you."

After the first shock wears off, Vivienne starts to think hard. Jonah even suggests to work out some details for her safety and to start slow in order to not overwhelm her or scare her off. Still, Vivienne dismisses Jonah. Though that little kinky seed has been sown and she can't stop thinking of him and their mutual fantasy. Of course she has to give in eventually. Vivienne contacts Jonah and they work out an agreement. But, what happens when the two strangers who happen to feed off of each other's rape fantasy seem to develop feelings that go beyond that detached agreement? How can they transcend from kinky and messed up games to a relationship, given the fact that both of them have a complex background with dysfunctional families and secrets to hide?

Friendly heads-up
Asking for It can't answer every question and, to be honest, I curse all those damn cliffhangers. I won't deny it, that cliffie here left me hanging yet at the same time I'm feeling terribly antsy to read the sequel Begging for It asap. There (view spoiler) I checked out the blurb of Begging for It and I'm really hoping that (view spoiler)

You shouldn't go into the story with wrong expectations. Asking for It is nothing like Willing Victim. It's different in the sense that the psychological angle is much more pronounced in Asking for It. Besides, the hero isn't a fighter. Asking for It is not set against a backdrop of a sweaty boxing ring either. No sports-themed kink can be found here but it's very good nonetheless. Jonah, the man, as well as his profession as a professor of seismology and volcanology are a treat. There's no denying it, dressed and especially undressed, Jonah cut a fine figure. And while Willing Victim was kind of a fun read, sprinkled with some great dirty talk, Asking for It is kind of somber and a bit oppressing. However, I don't know if 'dark' would be an appropriate word to describe the story. It's definitely not a lighthearted read because the subject matter is harder to digest.

Also, don't expect a romance either. Though, according to the blurb of Begging for It, it's obvious that Jonah's and Vivienne's kinky agreement will turn into love in the sequel. So I strongly assume that the author will incorporate some elements of romance throughout the sequel.

The rape fantasy, the sex in general and Vivienne's psychological issues were front and center in this first installment. But I do associate romance with intimacy. And while I knew I wouldn't be reading a romance, I'm hoping that my need and hunger for something more intimate, more heartfelt and profound will be assuaged in Begging for It.

How can anyone be this close and yet this distant?

I understand that some readers will be feeling uncomfortable reading this story. It's kinky. The sex is rough and, partially, violent. The rape fantasy is not for everyone but I say whatever floats their boat and all that, provided it's consensual.

A consensual rape fantasy doesn't bother me per se. But, there was something that made me feel uncomfortable. (view spoiler) There was just something off about it but the more I read, the better the puzzle pieces fit. When (view spoiler) Yet I stand corrected. There actually are (view spoiler) I sure wasn't aware of that interesting information.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Another issue I had was that both main protagonists (view spoiler) It was a little too easy, a little too neat. Maybe? Regardless, I could overlook that problem because the author really captured my attention, both through her good writing and the characterization of the main couple. While I did need a few percentages to get into the story, my interest was peaked from the beginning and it was well-written and engaging until the very last page. And, let's not forget that it's not over yet. The darkness that cloaks the somewhat mysterious character of Jonah has yet to be fully revealed in Begging for It. As I saw it, the author only scratched the surface of Jonah's messy background and personality.

photo oie_68XemboDRUKf_zpszxz37qld.gif

It doesn't happen all that often that a new-to-me author manages to gain my attention. After all, I feel a tiny bit jaded after having eaten (or better yet, after having abandoned) the same flavored and stale books week after week. I will admit that I would have loved a little less smexin' and a little more story. But, I just know there will be more. Even though I actually dislike serials, I shall be rewarded with the sequel Begging for It. Like I said already, I beg to get my hands on that sequel. I, for one, can't wait to see what kind of craziness the author will unravel in the next installment.

"Maybe we get better at this over time."
"Knowing people? Or loving them?"
"Both." His hand covers mine, and we fall into a comfortable silence.

Recommended read.

**************************************************

As a side note
I'm adding the links to my first two updates for the publisher because, unfortunately, they are linked to the paperback edition. I'm reviewing the kindle edition.

First update

Second update

It's very confusing and annoying that readers can't change the edition of a book after adding a preview (or after having shelved both editions).

Expected publication: June 2nd 2015

All quotes are taken from the pre-published copy and may be altered or omitted in the final copy

**ARC courtesy of Berkley via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!

description

“Asking for It” was a very unique, intriguing, unconventional, taboo read. Since I’m a reader who loves something different I knew this was 'the perfect' read for me, especially since I love taboo reads. Reading some of my friends’ reviews, my expectations for this one were very high. Well, I’m glad to say “Asking for It” lived up to them. It was a thought-class="gr-hostedUserImg">
“Asking
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4.5 Stars

You can have neat, tidy, and safe. You can have tame. Or you can have what you really want. But you can't have both, Vivienne. And I think we both know which one you're going to choose."

Thought provoking, evocative, erotic, and unlike anything I've ever read before. I am absolutely blown away by this book. I didn't know quite what to expect when I began reading it, but I never enclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
3.5-4 stars!

I remember a friend telling me about this book a few months ago saying it’s exactly the kind of story I’d enjoy and she was mostly right. I’ve always been drawn to darker, unconventional, taboo love stories and this book fit that description exactly. I did have a couple of issues with it, but overall this story is a captivating debut about two complex, dynamic characters with tastefully done erotic scenes.

“My fantasies always begin normally...but no matter how explicit and eroti
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

★★★★! Asking for It, book 1 of 3. Vivienne’s taboo fantasies of being raped is fulfilled by the mysterious & composed Jonah!

“We could fuck every night for a year and I still wouldn’t have run out of fantasies for him to fulfill.”

Books in Asking for It series should be read in order:
Book 1: Asking for It
Book 2: Begging for It
Book 3: Asking for More

Imagine having a handsome stranger overhear your taboo desires of being violently raped. And what if he then offers for fulfill your forbidden fantasies? That happens to graduate student anorder:
BookJonah!
Geri Reads
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

WARNING: Some minor spoilers ahead.

This book is one of the most—if not the most thought-provoking book I’ve read this year. Even if you end up not loving the book or even if it makes you uncomfortable, I guarantee it’ll still make you think. It’s definitely not for everybody. It deals with a very sensitive subject. But what sets this apart from the dark romance books that it’s in the market right now is that everything that happened is consensual.

Vivienne is an art graduate stu/>WARNING:
Jennifer Kyle
4.5 Stars

”It’s your fantasy, and mine. Chances like this don’t come along often – two people twisted in the exact same way.”

[image error]

Lilah Pace’s debut novel had me reading nonstop today. This book was not only well written but was completely consuming and had a truly honest feel. The author clicked so many boxes for me delivering a gripping tale that was so much more than an erotic read. She added secondary characters with ease and mysterious backgrounds for both of the main characters. Ohh what I would
Stars
Saffron
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 to 4.5 "Unique" Stars!

One disadvantage of reading so many books is that nothing seems new, nothing seems original and exciting. It gets very hard to be impressed by things. On the surface, this story seems like any other. Vivienne (our heroine) has a rape fantasy and she can't come without thinking about being forced. Jonah (our sexy, sexy hero) has the exactly same fantasy of forcing women. So they are perfect for each other. They decide to fulfill their fantasy with no strings attached arrangement.

Doesn't it
Pam
4.25 do you want to play stars
I don’t just fuck you...I bare my soul to you.

How could you hate and want the same thing? How could you fantasize and fear in the very same breath ? How far would you go to blur the lines between dreams and reality before it no longer exists?

For Vivienne it's no game, it's a reality, one she has to face every second of every day. It's not play, it's survival and her chance encounter with Jonah may be the very thing she's been looking for; a dark soul who can give her everythinstars
Melissa
Lilah Pace took a huge risk with this one and you know what, it paid off. Bold and unapologetic, ASKING FOR IT delves deep and explores the juxtaposition of -
hard vs. soft
lying by omission vs. baring your soul
perverse fantasies vs. healthy kink
villan vs. playmate
fear vs. arousal
Had I known how utterly addictive and thought-provoking this story would turn out to be, I would have picked it up way before now. Passionate, intense and different on so many levels, I tore through the pages.
Judith
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

"You can have neat,tidy,and safe.You can have tame or you can have what you really want.But you can't have both,Vivienne.And I think we both know which one you're going to choose"

Vivienne is driving home late one night when she gets a flat tyre and has to pull over.She's obviously scared and even more so when a stranger offers to help her.Along with her fear,though,she also has other feelings and somehow feels drawn to him.She meets the same man again at a friend's party.Jonah is a Professor at the same Univer
Mariℓina
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
You never really know when your next read will turn out to be a favorite. I think that's the most compelling part for every bookaholic -myself included- who picks up a new book. Aren't we all waiting for a story to sweep us off our feet?

And yes, i fell in love with this book, faults and all, utterly and irrevocably. I know its story is not for everyone but it was just perfect for me.

Wholesome and yet with a very fitting cliffhanger
Jacqueline's Reads
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 4-star-books
4.5 Deliciously Dark Stars

Asking for It is part of a series. You must read it in order.

I will be honest. I didn’t think anything of this book. I knew there were some “warnings”, but I read a lot of dark books. Anyhow I started it and WOW.

If you are a dark lover, love taboo and kind of different reads. Asking for It is for you.

Did I want to read a book about the Heroine actively seeking to be raped? Yes and oh boy I got what I was looking for.

Vivienne is not your typical girl. Yes, she’s has boyfriends and yes she’s had sex, but she can’tyou.
Did
Didi
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Didi by: Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4.5 STARS

This fantastic read has suspended my book slump...even if only for the moment. After reading Kulti, I couldn't find anything worth reading. It actually became depressing, until Feifei suggested this. And thank you, Feifei! I loved this book. It was different, dark and atmospheric. As soon as I started I knew I would love it. It was equal parts sensual, exciting and shameful. It made me think, made me wonder and made me feel.
I loved the heroine, Vivienne. She was just a norm
Perry ★TBBSisterhood Blog★

Asking for It by Lilah Pace is one of those rare books that are straight up my alley. It deals with rape-play and the dark underbelly of human sexuality and what makes us who we are and what we crave in the bedroom. It's gritty, raw, at times equal measures disturbing and equal measures hot. I love the blend of the physical and the psychological, the pushing of boundaries. As full disclosure, one of my favorite novellas ever is Willing Victim by Cara McKenna, and since then I've been cravin
Rachel Reads Ravenously
short review

3 stars! I really did enjoy this, although RP ain't really my thing. I definitely want to know what happens with Jonah and Vivienne and will continue reading the series. Not a 4 or 5 because I didn't love it/wouldn't reread it.

ALSO I am convinced that Lilah Pace is Sylvia Day. So many similarities.
Natasha is a Book Junkie
“Not all fantasies are things we want in reality.”

I’d like to think of myself as a reader with very few boundaries when it comes to picking my next book, only a few things in life triggering emotions I choose not to feel while indulging my mind with its next great escape. So, when I came across this book, my mind tingled from the get-go, yelling at me to dive into this story blindly and see where it would take us. And what an exciting ride this has been! A perfectly written, masterfully assembled sto
Kirsten
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75 Silver stars!

photo image.jpg1_zpssczi43f1.jpg
The only possible partner for these games is someone as bent as I am.

Imagine that you've had some car trouble. It's the middle of the night, and you're completely alone on a deserted road with no cell phone. A Good Samaritan then pulls over to help you out. He is attractive, yet your main concern is just getting home and being safe. Well Vivienne Charles thinks this way, however, deep down she wants her "rescuer" to take advantage of the situation and have sex with her...by f
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

[image error]

Asking For It by Lilah Pace was unlike any book that I have read. Consuming, hypnotic, thought-provoking, erotic, sensual and a slow burn emotional heart-tugging read that will push the boundaries. It was such a mind-blowing read that had me craving, wanting, and needing more. This book dealt with a dark, raw sexual matter that Ms. Pace eloquently and beautiful written. The fantasy to be raped.

#askingforit_1

Though this book might not be a book for most readerreview
[image
Michelle
Sep 08, 2015 added it
Shelves: dnf
Calling it quits at 56%. I'm sad to say I skimmed through most of the book up to this point. I might of liked it better if I could of gotten out of Vivienne's head and into Jonah's. I don't know. I can't seem to make myself care to find out any more about either of them any longer. I really didn't like Vivienne from the beginning. Ugh! I'm so disappointed because I was really wanting to read this one and waited for book 2 to come out before I started this one. Oh well...off to something else now ...more
Vanessa
4 Dark Fantasy Stars!

"I can do more than fuck you. I can scare you a little. Just a little. Enough to make it what you really want."

photo Asking for It Casting.jpg

Seems like this book made some pretty huge waves. As soon as I heard about it, I knew I needed to read it immediately. And with a blurb like that, who could resist?!

Well, I have to say, for the most part, the hype is well-deserved. I'm always drawn to the darker, taboo stories, with lots of edge. The trouble with the sub-genre nowadays is that it is filled with a bunch ofStars!
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
“We promised to stay strangers.”

4 STARS

Hero: 8/10
Humour: 1/10
Hotness: 8/10
Romance: 5/10
Extra book Details: Heroine POV; 1st person. 1st in the series, 2nd book out Sept 2015.

Graduate student & teaching assistant, Vivienne is afraid of her own desires, she's ashamed by her deep rooted sexual fantasies that all involve her being taken by force.

After a chance encounter with the mysterious Jonah ends with him discovering her secret, he makes an offer: they will remain near-strangers to each other, and meet in secret so that he can fulfill her5/10
Extra8/10
1/10
8/10
7/10
8/10
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
3.5 ★'s

Rape...it's a fantasy that brings two broken people together. It pulls them deep into some type of a relationship that they are desperately trying to figure out. But will it be strong enough to keep them together?

So, I will admit that I was drawn to this book because of the rape fantasies and the way the couple got together. I'm not really big into violence or actually rape but I have definitely read much more intense books than this...and I think I was a little disappointed because of it.

Vivienne is a grad s
Olga therebelreader
You will get lost in this book ... One of the best books I have ever read, period...
What an incredible story! What an engaging read!
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Ladies And Gentlemen,

I am pleased to announce that this is the book that has gained my first ever five star review.

This book absolutely blew me out of the water.

Honestly, I've been having so much trouble putting my thoughts into words about this, because I don't feel that anything I write can accurately portray the beauty and depth that this book contains.

In simple terms, this is an erotic novel. But to describe it as such really does it a disservice, because it is so much more than that. It is a character study, it is an explreview.
This
1-Click Addict Support Group
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book. It is so, so, SO much. It was more than enough, but never too much. It deals with very difficult and volatile subject matters. It contains scenes of consensual sex that are portrayed as rape, and it contains a flashback to actual rape. This may make it difficult for some readers, I'm sure.

However, the book was so much more than this label. The characters are deep. This is not just hot sex with an obligatory story sprinkled in. Although, there is hot sex. Raw, gritty, violent, hot,
Aileene
Don't do it gorgeous, never follow urges unless sexual xo
Oh god, no. These words didn't come out from my mother's mouth (I wish she was that groovy though!) but from a very VERY naughty *mouths* and kinky friend of mine. It made me smile when she said it to me and still does.
Reading this book made me remember it again.
Sexual urges, the author gave a whole different meaning to it. As a matter of fact, lots of references that've been used here that I don't think I can use them the same way again.

“I was in a placagain.
La-Lionne
The story was okay, the writing was good, but there was thrown way to many issues to deal with at the main characters.

Although the subject matter is disturbing, as you read the book, you relize that everything is sane (this bit is still up for discussion), safe and consensual. Which was a good thing, it didn't make characters to seem completely off their rockers.

So, it was an okay read, but for the life of me, I can't give it more than 3 stars, because I've read almost identical sto
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
description

4.5 Stars

‘The fantasy that dominates me – it’s sick, and it’s twisted, but it’s not going away. Fighting it hasn’t done any good. So I’m giving in. Surrendering.’

WOW! We couldn’t put this book down. We were gripped from the very first chapter, allured by the story yet feeling as though we should be a little uncomfortable given its very dark theme. We were completely fascinated with the way this story unfolded and how it took us through a gauntlet of emotions.

“I don’t just fuck you, Jonah. I bare my soul to you. “

Imagine your deepemotions.
Surrendering.’
WOW!Stars
‘The
Nawal
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Asking for it is a dark romance novel which has provided something, not so new but still unique in its own way, which has proven refreshing. There is nothing more I love than a story which gives me something unique. It plays along storylines which we may have previously read about, but it’s not so in the typical way. There is no real ‘danger’ from the main lead, so the heroine doesn’t dramatically fall for the bad guy. There is taboo, but it’s more in a consensual, ‘play’ way.

• Brutal Game (Flynn and Laurel, #2)
  • Off the Clock (Pleasure Principle, #1)
  • The Edge of Never, The Edge of Always: Two Book Collection (The Edge of Never, #1-2)
  • Opulence (The Excess, #1)
  • Forbidden (Under the Skin, #2)
  • The List (Irresistible, #3)
  • Chairman of the Whored (Whored, #1)
  • The King (The Original Sinners, #6)
  • Badger
  • Crossing the Line
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • The Naughty Corner
  • Craving Flight
  • The Principle of Desire (Science of Temptation, #3)
Lilah Pace is a pseudonym for a New York Times bestselling author, so she can’t give away too much about herself here, but she has lived everywhere from Italy to the United Kingdom before putting down roots in the American South.

She’s addicted to Diet Coke, loves her dog, and daydreams about several British movie stars (though usually no more than two at a time).

And while i

Asking for It (2 books)
  • Begging for It (Asking for It, #2)
“I’ve come to realize that speaking the truth can be a form of love. Maybe listening can be too.” 17 likes
“It’s your secret. A piece of your life that’s yours to share or not to share, as you see fit. You never have to tell a soul if you don’t want to.” 8 likes