Start by marking “Rainy Day Sisters (Hartley-by-the-Sea #1)” as Want to Read:
Rainy Day Sisters (Hartley-by-the-Sea #1)

Rainy Day Sisters

(Hartley-by-the-Sea #1)

The USA Today bestselling author presents a heartfelt novel about two sisters struggling toward new lives and loves.

Welcome to Hartley-by-the-Sea in England’s beautiful Lake District, where two sisters who meet as strangers find small miracles tucked into the corners of every day....

When Lucy Bagshaw’s life in Boston falls apart, thanks to a scathing editorial written by
Published August 4th 2015 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Rainy Day Sisters, please sign up.
Kresti Lyddon This books is about difficult relationships between two sisters and their mother. Each sister learns from the other, and from folks in the small town,…moreThis books is about difficult relationships between two sisters and their mother. Each sister learns from the other, and from folks in the small town, and they also explore romantic relationships. (No sex scenes in the book). I think a 15 year old would be fine reading this.(less)

Julie
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rainy Day Sisters: A Hartley-by-the-Sea Novel by Kate Hewitt is a 2015 NAL publication.

Stories like this one are like comfort food, and are good for the soul. I loved the quirky, offbeat village, the characterization and development, and while I prefer sunny, warm climates, Harley-by-the-Sea is perhaps a magical place, one I hope to visit again sometime for more heartwarming and uplifting stories.

This review is the copyrighted property of Night Owl Reviews. To the read the full reviews click th
Jeanne Adamek
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate Hewitt is a incredible writer. I truly felt the deep bone chilling cold in the rainy Lake District in England. But best of all were her characters. The profound insight she gives to each of her characters was nothing short of stunning. This must have been one of the first books that I had the feeling that I REALLY knew everyone and actually understand why they acted and were like they were. And because of this they all touched my heart.

I recommend this novel to anyone who would like to rea
Obsidian
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I ended up enjoying this first book so much I went and bought books #2 and #3 and finished them this weekend. I love books that go back to either the same character over time and or the same community and you get to follow up with characters. "Rainy Day Sisters" is the first book in the Hartley-by-the-Sea series by Kate Hewitt.

"Rainy Day Sisters" follows two main characters, half sisters Juliet and Lucy. Juliet is older than Lucy by about 10 years I think. Juliet and Lucy are not close. Thei
Laurel-Rain
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiona Bagshaw had not a maternal bone in her body, and for most of their lives, her two daughters have lived apart: Juliet in England and Lucy in Boston. Fiona has become a rather famous artist and relishes that world.

But after a humiliating experience because of her mother, Lucy has fled to Cumbria in the Lake District, and to the small village of Hartley-by-the-Sea. Home to Juliet, who owns a Bed and Breakfast.

Juliet had invited her and even arranged for a short-term job for Lucy in the primar
Renee
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This charming story is almost as good as making a visit to Hartley-by-the-Sea! I so enjoyed it. I listened as an audio book & enjoyed the narration, the slow pace, the sweetness. You can read the synopsis & see if it's your kind of novel. I found it a worthwhile read. (It's also a clean read.)
Kathryn
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two sisters, almost total strangers, begin a journey towards connection and a sense of family. They do not gel immediately, yet perhaps underneath they are more alike than they initially experience. Rainy Day Sisters is set in the fictional town of Hartley-on-Sea in Cumbria, England. Ultimately this is a story of hope and connection and finding family as two sisters battle it out to find what they need.

Rachel the older sister, has set up a B&B, she is a rather self-contained, organised, lone
Aimee
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
There were quite a few things that I liked about this book. The first thing that I really enjoyed was the scenery that was described throughout the book. I love reading books set in England and this one takes place in a charming little town called Hartley-by-the-sea. Hewitt includes many wonderful details about the town that I enjoyed. The author also does a great job of making the weather a part of the story whether it be a beautiful day full of sunshine or most commonly in this book a cold, wi ...more
Fictionophile
Like the lovely aga on the cover, “Rainy day sisters” will leave you feeling warm and happy.

Set in the west of Cumbria, this novel features two sisters who are virtual strangers. They have the same mother, but they grew up on different continents and were rarely in touch. When Lucy, the younger sister, has a life crisis, she turns to her half sister Juliet. Unsure of her welcome, she travels across the ocean to stay for four months with her elder sister who runs a bed and breakfast in the seasid
Sue
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-authors
Juliet and Lucy are half sisters who have never really gotten to know each other. They are 11years apart and Lucy and their Mom moved to Boston when Lucy was only 6 and Juliet stayed in England. To say that they aren't close at the beginning of the novel is an understatement. Even though they don't really know each other, Juliet invites Lucy to her b&b in Hartley-by-the-Sea when her life in Boston falls apart. Juliet is very unfriendly and resentful of the life that Lucy lived with their mot ...more
Mari Jaye
Three and a half stars.

A novel about brokenness and healing, reality and hope.

The two male love interests, I found to be really well done and enjoyable. No insta-love here, but slow-builds, men with complexity, character and depth.

And a setting to rival all settings - the beautiful Lake District.

At times, a funny combination of being a little 'blah' and ordinary, yet often deep and meaningful. Chic lit, I suppose, but definitely not superficial. A cosy kind of read.
Catherine
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting but the characters were caught up in too much history. And Lucy started out as a little self absorbed. It took me half way through the book before it really started to hold my interest. Might even read the next in this series.
MB (What she read)
I enjoyed that.

What a horrible mother! I could identify a bit with the older sister and how her reaction to her parent's treatment messed up her character and interaction with others.
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Since becoming a reviewer and blogger I've avoided books which are impart of a series, purely due to the fact that with an ever growing TBR list, I can't guarantee that I will be able to read the following books, and I just have to know what happened.
So when I saw that Rainy Day Sisters was touring I "umm'd" and "ahh'd" over it for all of 30 seconds - just look at that beautiful, intriguing book cover that gives absolutely nothing away, yet makes perfect sense right from the start of the novel.

R
Kathleen E.
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Saturday, August 8, 2015
Rainy Day Sisters: A Hartley-by-the-Sea Novel by Kate Hewitt, © 2015

Rainy Day Sisters is set in the fictional village of Hartley-by-the-Sea. Come along as we explore this just released novel!

...beautiful places can be found just about anywhere, if you have the heart to look for them
--author Kate Hewitt, beautiful places

Kate Hewitt
I am newly discovering Kate's writings. Profusely beautiful in expression of what might be missed in a day. I like the descriptiveness as if you
Crystal
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for heartwarming, entertaining and real in a novel, then Rainy Day Sisters is just the book for you. And now that I have read it and fallen in love with the village of Hartley-by-the-Sea and some of the townspeople, I cannot wait for future books in this series by Ms. Hewitt.

Rainy Day Sisters is a primarily character-driven novel. Lucy leaves Boston after a public embarrassment to go to England to stay with her half-sister and seemingly find herself. Lucy imagines herself on a
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Original review located at http://fangswandsandfairydust.com/201...
RAINY DAY SISTERS When a Primal Relationship Goes Wrong

Audiobook provided by publisher for review. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

There are bad mothers and then there are selfish, terrible women who have children to serve some agenda other than motherhood. In this book we see two half-sisters. When Lucy undergoes a public humiliation and a break up her barely known to he
Suze Lavender
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lucy's mother has ruined Lucy's life and she has to get away from it all. She leaves Boston and returns to England to live with her sister Juliet for a few months. Juliet has a bed & breakfast in Hartley-by-the Sea, which is a wonderful seaside village. What was supposed to be a healing stay is proving to be difficult when Juliet is far from welcoming and when Lucy's job for the time being proves to be tough. Lucy's boss Alex is strict and scary and she has to do her very best not to offend ...more
Hayley
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book by Netgallery in exchange for an honest review.

Juliet and Lucy are half sisters, 11 years apart in age and barley know each other. Lucy having been brought up in America by their mother Fiona, a famous artist, and Juliet having been left behind in England as a teenager when her mother found fame and moved abroad. They are brought together by a mutual dislike of their thoughtless and egotistical mother, after she publicly shames Lucy's art work. In an uncharacteris
Julie Boon
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Juliet and her “half sister” Lucy have never been what you would call close. Juliet seems very cold and unfeeling towards Lucy, but poor Lucy doesn’t understand why. This book tells you the story of the two sisters and how they build on their relationship from near total strangers to becoming friends.

Lucy leaves Boston after a relationship breakdown and to flee her interfering, embarrassing mother to start a temporary job as a primary school receptionist back in England and her half sister Julie
AngryGreyCat
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was at Barnes and Noble today and picked this one up totally on impulse. Haven’t heard of the author or read anything about the book. I read the first few pages and got drawn in and had to buy it. The story revolves around Juliet and Lucy, two estranged sisters, who are reunited after Lucy’s life turns into a train wreck at the hands of their mother, Fiona.

Lucy joins Juliet in Cumbria at her B&B and soon makes herself a member of the community. There are romances and romances to come hinte
Katherine Jones
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love falling in love with a new novel, and this one charmed me from the start. Winsome characters, romance-worthy setting, and enough relationship drama to keep me up at nights. I can’t say enough good things about this one, including the fact that it’s clean. From page one, I loved sweet Lucy and her hopeless optimism. I ached for prickly Juliet while rooting for Lucy’s determination to crack her nut-hard shell. I relished the way these two estranged sisters found the complement in the other ...more
Jen
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: con-ficition
3.5

The Rainy Day Sisters by Kate Hewitt is not my usual reading choice, but nevertheless, an entertaining diversion! A novel about two sisters--well, half-sisters, who barely know each other--coming to grips with residual family grievances. When Lucy's life seems to disintegrate around here (mostly through her mother's callousness), she calls her older half-sister Julia in England. Julia, acting decided out-of-character, invites Lucy to come stay in Hartley-by-the-Sea, a small Lake District vill
Donna Jo Atwood
Lucy and Juliet's mother is not a nurturing woman. Lucy and Juliet are not bosom buddies. According to the back cover "with the help of quirky villagers" they'll get over it. But quirky Peter and Alex are not reacting well to their own problems. etc.

This book was filled with prickly people. I don't think there was one "normal" person in the whole book to give readers a moment of rest between crises.

It's not a bad book, but you have to be in the mood for it or it'll cause you to throw it across
Kelly
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, netgalley
In this novel, Lucy flees her life in America to stay with her half-sister Juliet in a quaint English Village. The two sisters barely know each other but share some major issues with their mother. At the beginning of this book, I thought it would just be a quick predictable 3* read, but it grew on me. Yes, it was fairly predictable, but I enjoyed the village, the community, and the characters. It switches back and forth between Lucy's and Juliet's points of view. I particularly enjoyed Lucy's st ...more
Virginia Franken
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. Sparked a real discussion at our book club about how a single sentence uttered from one person to another can change the course of a relationship forever. And the descriptions of England are beautifully evoked. Loved the characters and the relationship between the sisters. One of those books that's a bummer to finish as you have to reluctantly leave a world you've become a part of. But Now and Then Friends is out now so I'm back in Hartley by the sea!
Diane Mccredie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish Good Reads allowed 1/2 star increments. I would have given this 4 1/2 stars. Really good book about 2 sisters coming to terms with their relationship and their relationships with their mother. My requirement to like a book is to have likeable characters that I grow to care about and this book easily had that. Plus most of it takes place in England. Need I say more?
Gail
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book shows how complicated families can be but in the end there are some people who aren’t capable of love no matter how hard you try.
Chris Conley
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really good. I recognized both women and saw bits of my sister and me in them. Happily, joyfully, I saw nothing of my mother in Fiona. This is a lovely start to a series.
Emma Crowley
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rainy Day Sisters is the first in the planned Hartley by the Sea series by Kate Hewitt. I had only read one book by Kate previous to this writing under the name Katharine Swartz. I didn't really like that book so was apprehensive about reading this new story. But within the first few chapters I realised this was a different kind of book altogether and overall I really enjoyed it. It's well written with excellent character development. It deals with lots of topical issues relevant to today's soci ...more
Agi
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

"Rainy Day Sisters" is the first in the Hartley by the Sea series, and also my first book by Kate Hewitt. I really didn't know what to expect when I requested this book, I just had a feeling it may be a good read, and as it turned out, I was absolutely right - I have truly adored this story. It had me hooked from start to the end and I immensely enjoyed it. It was not a life - changing book, the plot might have not been the most original one, and yet on the whole it was incredibly refreshing sto

• The Summertime Girls
  • The Wholeness of a Broken Heart
  • The Memory of Lemon
  • Holiday Royale
  • Charm School for Cowboys (Hurley's Homestyle Kitchen, #5)
  • Bel Lamington
  • An Air of Treason (Sir Robert Carey, #6)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Hearth Stone (Home in the Hills, #1)
  • At His Service (Playboys of Boston, #1)
  • The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion: Yummy Recipes from Family, Friends, and Our Crockin' Community
  • The Orchard at the Edge of Town (Apple Valley, #3)
  • Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason
  • How to Train a Cowboy
  • The Promise of Forgiveness
  • The Little Women
  • Mail-Order Brides of Oak Grove: Surprise Bride for the Cowboy\Taming the Runaway Bride (Oak Grove #1-2)
Kate is the USA Today-bsetselling author of many books of women's fiction. Her latest releases are A Vicarage Homecoming and Not My Daughter. Under the name Katharine Swartz, she is the author of the Tales from Goswell books, a series of time-slip novels set in the village of Goswell.

She likes to read women's fiction, mystery and thrillers, as well as historical novels. She particularly enjoys re

Hartley-by-the-Sea (3 books)
  • Now and Then Friends (Hartley-by-the-Sea #2)
  • A Mother Like Mine (Hartley-by-the-Sea, #3)
“She felt a sense of freedom, a burden she hadn’t realized she’d been carrying slipping from her shoulders. She didn’t have to be defined by a few people’s opinions of her.” 0 likes