Start by marking “Deceptions (Cainsville, #3)” as Want to Read:
Deceptions (Cainsville, #3)

Deceptions

(Cainsville #3)

Olivia Taylor Jones's life has exploded. She's discovered she is not only adopted, but her real parents are convicted serial killers. Fleeing the media frenzy, she took refuge in the oddly secluded town of Cainsville. She has since solved the town's mysteries and finds herself not only the target of its secretive elders but also her stalker ex-fiancé.

Visions continue to
Published August 18th 2015 by Dutton

Start your review of Deceptions (Cainsville, #3)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
***minor spoilers***

So here's the deal:

I like this series, and I love Kelley Armstrong. LOVE. I think BITTEN is the best first installment of an Urban Fantasy series. Period.

Armstrong is an auto-buy for me and will continue to be.

But . . .

I had serious issues with this installment. Issues. As in several. First and foremost would be the Love Triangle of Doooooooom.

Love triangles are a peeve of many readers. I myself am not anti-triangle under certain circumstances, but triangles that are
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Reread 08/12 : Skimming through this before starting Betrayals (I AM SO SCARED) (PLEASE GET RID OF THE LOVE TRIANGLE SHIT)

Whaaaat? Is it finished already? Damn it.

Gabriel character's growth : Alright. I feel like a broken record, so don't mind me. As in the first two books, here lies my favorite part of these books. I'm all about the characters most of the time, and a great characterization can decide of my love for a book. In Deceptions Gabriel continues to learn how to stop being a cyborg
Chelsea Humphrey
Please, don't get me wrong, I still whole-heartedly ADORE this series, but out of the three entries I've read so far, this one felt the weakest. We had some nice, strong reveals here, and I'm dying to know what happens next, but there was a bunch of filler and non-productive angsty love triangle inserted as well. On to the next one!
Em Lost In Books
A decent entry in the series. Heaved a sigh of relief when one guy out of the three, who are trying to win the girl, was no longer vying for the girl. Some great secrets were revealed about Olivia's past. Eager to know what's next for the trio of Olivia, Ricky and Gabriel.
Lila
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

2,5 stars

:\
You know that scene from "Bridget Jones's Diary" when Bridget comes to party dressed as Playboy bunny only to realize nobody told her tarts & vicars theme was cancelled?
That's exactly how I felt reading this book- like I totally misunderstood the theme of series which resulted in me frowning for majority of novel.

First book introduced us to Olivia and ancillary characters, ceremonial murders her parents are sitting in prison for, one weird town, compulsion experiments... we are
Y. C.
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the other two better. Not that this was a bad book, because I don't think Kelley Armstrong is capable of writing bad books, and if this was standalone novel then yeah, four or maybe five stars. But I liked the other two better and Deceptions has fallen short of the benchmark I have set for this series.

A lot of it is frustration. At some point, I realized that this has become as much of a romance novel as a mystery novel, and as with most paranormal romance novels, the characters fall
Ferdy
Spoilers

Didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would, the main characters irritated me, they weren't as likeable or endearing as they used to be. Their angst and blandness bogged down the story, it was still interesting but could have been better if the characters hadn't been so annoying.

-Liked the various reveals (for the most part): the Arawn/Matilda/Gwynn legend, the fae factions/conflicts, the truth about Olivia's parents, Ricky learning about the fae/who he was, and Olivia's visions/her
Rebekah
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 I FREAKING LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! I think I've read more books by this author than any other author. I am just impressed and in love with her writing style, the way she weaves the threads of each story. I am just amazed and I can't seem to put her books down!

I got an ARC of Visions which was book two in the series last year so I quickly picked up book one which is Omens and I plowed right through them. Omens landed on my list of favorites for 2014 and I couldn't wait to see how this series
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

If Kelley Armstrong wrote it, I will read it. But, for the first time in my long history as one of this author’s devotees, I could take or leave the CAINSVILLE series. Book 1 took some effort to finish, 2 was WOW all the way, and then here comes the love triangle in 3. I’m not fully against this romantic trope however DECEPTIONS came down with a severe case of woe-is-me, and as much as I thought that the narrators did wonders for this audiobook’s tone, it wasn’t quite up
Susana
2.75???

This stupid love triangle who isn't truly a love triangle annoys the hell out of me.
Full review to come... maybe. -_-

Okay, there isn't much more I can say about this series without going into full spoiler mode.
I've already mentioned more than once how I love the story: the mystery of it, the creepiness in it, both of them are winners.

The characters as per usual KA are also extremely well developed: as such, if I could, I would goble the entire series _ five volumes? _ in a row.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It never takes long after picking up another Armstrong novel to remember why I love her writing, and this series in particular so very much.

Yes there is a love triangle (of sorts) and yes there is a bit of drama ever now and then but really, this series is so much more than that and it is so well written, so captivating that before long it sucks you into Cainsville and it's characters and you never want to leave.

It is funny how fae books and I've never really had a strong relationship, in fact
Natasha
Like, fuck off. Fuck right off.

Spoilers.

I have nothing else to say about this series right now. When someone asks me how the series is, my immediate thought is just to say, "Fuck right off. It's great. I hate it so much. Read it immediately."

Ricky can just drive his bike off a fucking cliff, for starters. Homeboy needs to go the fuck away. I don't buy his cool, collected, smart, university student slash motorcycle club running, uber-respectful 22 year old character.

Pretty much every part about
Dana

Another great addition to the series. As per usual the level of creepiness throughout was great although admittedly the love triangle got a littler grating in this book, especially near the end. However I am addicted to this series and I love huge, slow books that let me savour a story. I can't wait to start on the next book.
Noémy
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading.

Well. This book actually was "une big déception" (-->"Déception" means "disappointment" in French). It considerably lessened my excitation for book 4 and 5 at this point. Which might be a good thing considering the unfairly high number of months we have to wait for each new release; at least now I won't die of frustration until the next book's pub.

Yeah. Small victory.

But seriously I really was unimpressed with this new installment. I'll work out the details as to why once i
Kylie Briggs
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-i-read
I was at a book signing two days ago when Kelley handed me an ARC of this book. I finished it last night.

The first two books in this series are world and character building. This book answers the questions I had, clarifies what needs clarifying. Gets the main characters communicating. Yes the question of Todd and Pamela's guilt or innocence is answered. No, I'm not going to tell you.

By the end of book two I wanted this book so I could figure out what was going on. Now I want the next book so I
Emma
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 this was a mixed bag. On completing it I felt like I’d enjoyed it, but I actually had to stop reading it a couple of times because I was finding it a repetitive and complicated glop of love triangle which wasn’t holding my interest. I’m pleased to see by the end of the book Olivia is questioning her feelings for Gabriel and we have some resolution on the guilt/innocence of her parents. Not as good or gripping as the first two, it I’ve still bought the next one!
Katie
This one took me a little bit to get into. I didn't remember the first two books very well and this just jumps you right back into the action with no recap. Plus, it doesn't have much of a stand alone plot. It's more about the larger plot.

But I'm kind of upset with myself because I am sooooo into Gabriel. Which wouldn't be a problem except it makes me not very interested in Ricky (or Ricky/Oliva) at all. Which harms my overall enjoyment of the series, I think.

But I don't know. Maybe it'll all
Mandy
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably more like 3.5 stars.
I enjoyed this third book in the series, but I did think it was a little too long and the relationship between Olivia and Ricky annoyed me at times, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.
In this book, Olivia continued to look into her parents' crimes and their guilt or innocence. Her and Ricky get on well, and their relationship got stronger in this book, but there were a few rifts appearing between her and Gabriel which needed to be sorted. The reveals that
TheGeekyBlogger
Listened for Review (Penguin/Random House)
Overall Rating: 2.50
Character Rating: 2.50
Story Rating: 2.50

Audio Rating: 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: I gave the first two books in this series a 4.00 so I clearly love Cainsville but Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong was just not like the other two for me. I still think that most people will love it (or at least like it more than I did)!

Things that drove me batty:

1) Total backslide in Olivia (she sounded like a wishy
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
This book was heartbreaking. There were times I wanted to shake Olivia because I'd figured out things long before she did. But the book held me captive unable to do anything but listen. I'm confused why the next book isn't available on audio. The narrators have been great. I will say as much as I love Gabriel it's too little too late. And I throw my support to Ricky. However by the title of the next book, I have a feeling my heart will be broken as will Ricky's. The writing is on the wall, but ...more
Milica
For all the resolutions this installment brought, I couldn't be more pissed with it. Fucking love triangle. I suspected it may come to this, but I hoped Armstrong would not go there.

(view spoiler)

Book 1: Omens - 4 Stars
Book 2: Visions - 5 Stars
Melliane
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My ENglish review

I loved the first and second books in the series so as soon as this new novel was announced, I threw myself on it to pre-order it. Admittedly, Kelley Armstrong has managed to create something really interesting and intriguing and I was excited to finally understand the truth about the world that the author had presented so far.

As I said we finally have our answers in this novel and I admit that I was caught by the story and the characters from the beginning
Tez
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some booksellers have mistakenly listed Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville series as a trilogy, but rest assured that Books 4 and 5 are scheduled for publication. Being the third book, Deceptions has a bit of Middle Book Syndrome - it answers some questions, but others dangle.

We find out how Ricky Gallagher is linked to the plot, which is a relief because I wondered in Visions if he was just included as a love rival. (Bikers being all the rage in romance at the moment...) Mind you, the motorcycle
Alex is The Romance Fox
Deceptions, the 3rd novel in Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville Series confused me right from the start.

All the fae factions in Cainsville, the multiple plots, ancient tales, visions, reincarnations........had a hard time keeping up.........and then there's the love triangle between Olivia/Ricky/Gabriel!!!

I am not crazy about the whole Ricky situation. I want Olivia to get together with Gabriel. He's so much more interesting than the hot biker!!!! These two have a deep connection and I wish that they
Danya

I'm sad to say that this wasn't anywhere near as amazing as VISIONS was.

Unlike many people, the love triangle in this one didn't really bother me. Firstly, it's not really a triangle when people don't realize that the potential for...triangle-ness...exists. Whatever, you get what I'm saying.

Secondly, if you didn't see this coming then we clearly weren't reading the same series. Maybe I've just read too many of Kelley Armstrong's triangles to be surprised when they crop up? Gabriel has
Andrea
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Okay, so, I waited for this book for so long. Considering how awesome the last book was, the wait felt like 1000 years. (I love to exaggerate) And now to wait a year for the next one sounds awful.

But now let me actually talk about this book.

So Olivia and Gabriel, I love them. Seriously.

Olivia is smart and independent (qualities I admire in a heroine) I like that she knows what she wants out of life and isn't going to let anyone push her around for it. And there's Gabriel. Holy shit, I love him.
Siobhan
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deceptions is the third book in Kelley Armstrong’s Cainsville series, and it’s another wonderful addition to the series. There is no doubt in my mind that each book is getting stronger, sucking me ever deeper into the story, and leaving me addicted beyond belief.

This book started out strong and continued with the strength throughout. There was plenty introduced throughout this book, and all worked to leave me addicted to the story and curious as to where things would go next. In fact, of the
Lauren
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I would first off like to thank Dutton for allowing me to read an ARC copy of Deceptions! Now for the review!

Deceptions is the game changer of the Cainesville series. So many questions have been left unanswered in the previous two books and they are about to be shoved into the light. Armstrong has closed some doors on the plot points of this series, but in doing so has thrust opened an infinite amount of new paths for the suspenseful and emotional plot. Deceptions opens up the proverbial can

Deceptions is the third book in the Cainsville series. These books are adult mysteries with paranormal elements. There will be spoilers from books one and two (Omens and Visions) in this review.

The main narrator of this book is twenty-four year old Olivia Taylor Jones. The book is told first person by Olivia. But there are also some third person chapters (Gabriel, Ricky...).

Cainsville is a mystery series. Each book has a murder to be solved.

The paranormal elements are much more evident in this
☕️Kimberly
Caffeinated Aspects

Cainsville, the Fae, visions and supernatural creatures surrounding this tale continue to draw me in. Armstrong’s weaving of mythology into this series is like crack and I am always looking for a fix.
The overall mystery and sub-mysteries lure you in. The questions regarding Oliva, her parent’s, the murders, Gabriel and Cainsville have all been fascinating. Deceptions answered many of those questions.
Armstrong is brilliant writer and her stories have a flow to them that
2015 Reading Chal...: Deceptions By Kelley Armstrong 2 32 Sep 07, 2015 10:44PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #162 Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong 2 5 Sep 01, 2015 09:20AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 7 Jul 19, 2015 11:16AM

• Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Walk the Wild With Me
  • Maryam (First Mataras #2)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • The Age of Witches
  • The Veil (Devil's Isle, #1)
  • Urban Enemies
  • The Sight (Devil's Isle, #2)
  • Royal Blood (The Templar #5)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked

Cainsville (5 books)
  • Omens (Cainsville, #1)
  • Visions (Cainsville, #2)
  • Betrayals (Cainsville, #4)
  • Rituals (Cainsville, #5)
“If you’d rather I didn’t stay—” I began.
“I invited you.”
“After sustaining a head injury. Which means you aren’t responsible for anything you said last night . . . except for the part where you forgave me for wrecking your car.”
“You were run off the road.”
“I still feel bad. It was a nice car.” I paused. “I’m also sorry about almost getting you killed.”
“She says, as an afterthought.”
“It was a really nice car.”
13 likes
“You will leave her alone,” Gabriel said. “One way or another.”
“That sounds like a death threat, Walsh.”
“Then you lack imagination.”
11 likes