Start by marking “Purl Up and Die (A Knitting Mystery, #13)” as Want to Read:
Purl Up and Die (A Knitting Mystery, #13)

Purl Up and Die (A Knitting Mystery #13)

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  835 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
In this mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Yarn Over Murder, Kelly Flynn and the Lambspun Knitters must unravel the truth from the lies to clear a friend’s son of murder...

Kelly’s summer in Fort Connor, Colorado, is off to a great start with knitting classes taught by her friend Barb. But while the advanced stitches are giving Kelly the slip, a more dead
Published June 2nd 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Purl Up and Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purl Up and Die

Carol
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
IMHO the proofing on this was really bad. (1) Within the same chapter and a few pages apart, Kelly gave the same long, detailed almost verbatim explanation of a situation to 3 people. (2) Within another chapter, Steve told Kelly that he checked with Jennifer about taking him through newer apartment complexes and she agreed. Five pages later, Kelly suggests he check with Jennifer if she could show him around newer apartment complexes. (3) Within a few pages, Burt and Kelly twice discuss the use o ...more
Amy
Aug 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I clearly need therapy or something. Why did I read this? Kelley likes coffee. WE GET IT!. The kid is growing, 3 inches. WE GET IT! Kelley and her friends like Fat Tire. WE GET IT! For real this book could have been half as long if we didn't constantly have to be reminded about coffee, softball etc. Ugh...I must have decided I needed to be punished for something.
Betsy
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been conflicted about this series for awhile. I felt the last two books were just phoned in, fitting the mystery around all of the characters and their quirks. There seemed to be a slight improvement in this book, but despite these improvements, I now realize the real problem is that I really dislike the main character, Kelly. It is hard to give up on a series after 13 books, but the time has come.
Belinda
Sep 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
You know the concept of hate-reading? I tend to not hate-read much (who has the time? Plus, I at one stage I was hate-reading so much I almost disconnected my right eye by rolling it too much*). However, my exception to the rule has always been Maggie Sefton's Lambspun series. This series of books are so bad! The characters are basically cardboard cutouts that are given really terrible dialogue, the dialogue is awful (all of the characters sound exactly the same) and the books are so repetitious ...more
Riceball
Jan 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
I haven't really enjoyed the last book or so. Mostly I've been sticking around out of curiosity of the characters but really the mystery end has gotten a little forced. Also when you focus so much on a large group and only introduce a new character to kill them off or make them a suspect or have them actually be a murderer it's kind of easy to figure it out. Two new characters, so one will be dead and the other did it.
I haven't even finished reading this because I got a little bored with the cof
Valerie
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
I used to enjoy reading Maggie Sefton's knitting mysteries but this may have been the last one for me.

I have always been keen to get the next story to find out what Kelly and the gang are up to. I had high hopes that Ms Sefton was on the way back to her storytelling best with the last one about the canyon fire story. Her characters were engaging and the storyline scary. This book though is not worth the time it took to read it.

Too much coffee, softball, very hot summer days, coffee, cafe, coffe
Linda Hurst
Too Much Nothing

It pains me to say it but I think Maggie Sefton jumped the shark with this entry in a series I have always enjoyed. Too much nothing going on, lengthy descriptions of the garden complete with a list of all the flowers, bushes and trees, lengthy descriptions of the yarns at Lambspun and the worst was what has become Kelly's addiction to coffee. That girl must spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

Couple all that with a mystery that wasn't, the murderer was obvious and since we never
Molly Anderson
Jun 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring

Its sad that this series has gotten predictable and trite. This will be the last one I waste time reading
Tina at A COZY GIRL READS AND WRITES Blog

This was a story with deeply rooted friendships, and a close knit community of knitters. A little too many characters for my liking and sometimes hard to keep in order but still a very enjoyable mystery. Life at the Lambspun Knitters Shop starts falling apart when "Big Barb" as she is known she is a knitting teacher who's son becomes accused of murder....

Kelly Flynn is a accountant who has seemed to make her home office at the Lambspun Knitters in Fort Connor, Colorado. Life is good for everyon
LORI CASWELL
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015

Dollycas’s Thoughts

We return to Fort Connor, Colorado and the House of Lambspun Yarn Shop for the 13th installment of this cozy mystery series. Kelly Flynn, is an accountant and she does her best work while sitting at the big table in the middle of the yarn shop with a big cup of coffee from Pete’s Porch Cafe. It is also the place she catches up on what is happening in town and where she meets Burt Parker, a retired police officer with all the right connections at the local police department. Ke
Sylvia McIvers
This isn't a review of the story so much as a complaint about the basic premise: Someone we like[tm] in the knitting community has a son who was accused of sexual assault and Obviously Didn't Do It [tm] because a) we like his mom! b) the plot setup is really obvious.

I hate the meme of false accusations, since memes make it seem that the thing is common in the real world, and false accusations are NOT COMMON. *beat the drum with me here, NOT COMMON*

On the other hand, it really is pretty common fo
Colleen Earle
I guessed the murderer right.
Good book. Nice pattern at the end.
Find the main character’s lack of knitting knowledge a little confusing bc she’s been hanging out with the knitter for 6 years but only knows a garter stitch.
Thought the felting was cool.
Liked the dog.
Enjoyable book.
Jenn Bellant Donner
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Reading this book, I felt like she just wrote it to satisfy her editor. There wasn't much flow to it and even some continuity issues further in the book. I also had a huge issue with the fact that the main character had absolutely no problem asking her friend to compromise her job by giving her log in information for the university database to get information about students. There are rules and regulations against that which could have caused Lisa to lose her job if it was discovered. This same ...more
Linda
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. I love my Lambspun family but I did have some problems with this book. The beginning had some bad editing going on but that got better as the book went on. My other problem was that a lot of the same information was repeated when Kelly was filling different people in. I get that she does that but I don't need the same thing repeated 2 or 3 times. I was also surprised that the police didn't zero in on the murderer the way I did based on the evidence. Still an enjoyable book overall.
Karen
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was the worst one out of all the books. I was bummed. I really liked all the others. It almost felt as if someone else tried to write the book in the author's style. Too much baseball,sitting outside,working with numbers. Just no meat to this story. This was the first time the murderer was obvious many many chapters before the end.
Marita
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was all about coffee, softball and junk food. There was very little focus on the mystery and it was easy to predict who the murderer was.

Also there was a lot of repetition in the dialogue which was boring. It's a shame that this book was not up to par because Sefton's books are generally a very enjoyable read.

Melissa
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I used to enjoy this cozy mystery series. The last few books in this series were boring to me: mystery was obvious to me, not much about yarn or crafting and idealistic characters without much depth. I guess this series has run its course for me.
Beth
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have loved this series because they were light reads with fun characters and knitting thrown in --the perfect thing to binge on late at night, and cheaper than other bad habits!! This one, however, was terribly edited and sadly repetitive.
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
The latest instalment in the Lambspun series, this time Kelly needs to get her teeth into the area of sexual assault and lies. The son of one of the regular teachers at House of Lambspun has been accused of groping a female patient and Kelly and her friends are stunned to hear this, before she can think about it Kelly is looking into things and finding out more than she expected.

Regrettably this book seemed a little disjointed in places - but even so this is still one of my go to series!
Linnea
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-series
Although was earlier in the series, I enjoyed how the characters got to where they are
Susan Pola Staples
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Heavens rejoice!

Kelly Flynn, Steve Townsend, Jennifer Stroud, Lisa Gerrard, Megan Smith, Marty Harrington, Greg Carruthers, Pete Wainwright and the Lambspun regulars of Mimi Shafer, Burt Parker, Curt Stackhouse and Jayleen Swinson have returned in
PURL UP AND DIE .

PEARL UP AND DIE is Maggie Sefton's thirteenth book in the series. It starts roughly a year after the devastating High Park wildfire (Cache La Poudre Canyon). And it deals with the backlash that can result when an innocent person is
Jamie Holzberg / Fluff Smut & Murder

Sometimes a series just needs to end. I think I’ve reached my limit with this one.

Kelly and her band of friends are back for yet another knitting mystery novel in the make believe town of Fort Connor, CO (which seems a LOT like Fort Collins, CO – home to three of the largest girl’s fastpitch softball tournaments each June/July – you’ll understand my annoyance later in the review). I’ve decided this wanna-be Scooby-Do gang of do-gooders have a tendency to stick their noses in situations where the
Shelley Giusti
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would love to give this more than 5 stars!

I love visiting Fort Connor and spending time with Kelly and her friends. Kelly and her friends are back in action again with summer ball games, food , fun and murder. The characters are family and with exciting news for some of them to finding out who the killer is you will be captivated and pulled into the story from the start. The atmosphere is welcoming and the friendships have grown so strong over the years. I have been a fan of this series from
Kristi
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have read all the books in this series and have really enjoyed most of them. I really expected more from this book at this point in the series. I feel like the characters have never been fully developed and after all this time I feel like I still don't know the characters. Like others that have read this book I am sick of hearing about coffee and softball. I figured out very early on who murderer was. And in this day in age, couldn't Barb be called something other than Big Barb. The Mother Mim ...more
Cindy
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
While I have read all of the books in this series, this one missed the mark for me. While I am familiar with all of the characters, they lacked depth in Purl Up and Die. While the mystery takes place in Colorado, the setting was ignored. I found it hard to endure several chapters devoted to watching the softball games, or the detailed emphasis on what Kelly is drinking or eating. I know she loves coffee, but I was hoping for a little more substance. As a cozy mystery, the mystery was okay. If yo ...more
Martha
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed reading the entire series so far but there was a noticeable decline in the writing of this latest one....dialog seemed very stilted in places, among other things...I was surprised to learn that Kelly is just south of 40, too. And, no mention of marrying Steve any time soon! The 'mystery' was easy to predict. I hope Ms Sefton's next knitting adventure is an improvement over this one.
Alisha Springle
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
In Ft. Connor, all is well with Kelly and her friends. Their work is steady, evenings are spent at the ball park, and knitting is everyone's favorite hobby.

Unless you are missing Kelly and her crew, don't read the book. It has a self evident mystery, one-dimensional characterization, and unreal dialogue/casual conversation. I used to enjoy this series. Oh well.
Karen
Jul 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Very poor entry in this series. Nothing but repetition of the same stories to each person encountered. Several conversations happened out of order in the story line which was very annoying. I don't put many books down without finishing them but I almost put this one down. I've read all the books in this series and enjoyed every one until this one.
Msgypsy
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Belaboring the point of belaboring the point. No, really. There was more time spent re-re-re-explaining things than there was actually solving the mystery. Which was fine, because the identity of the killer was telegraphed early on. The motive was telegraphed even earlier.

The writing, or perhaps the editing, is deteriorating as the series goes on. When I started reading this series I was pretty pleased with it. It's set in a part of Colorado that I'm fond of and the protagonist is an accountant
Kate Stericker
This book is appallingly bad. The writing is repetitive and constantly lapses into long descriptions of coffee orders, softball games, the behaviour of the protagonist's dog, and other things which have absolutely no bearing on the plot. In fact, one of the most frustrating things about this book was the total separation of the mystery from the rest of the protagonist's life; it often feels like chapters from a mystery story have been spliced together with mundane episodes from a different book ...more
  • A Murder in Mohair (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #8)
  • If Hooks Could Kill (Crochet Mystery, #7)
  • Thai Die (A Needlecraft Mystery, #12)
  • Writing All Wrongs (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #7)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
  • Faux Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #7)
  • Knit Fast, Die Young (Knitting Mysteries, #2)
  • Scrapbook of the Dead (A Cumberland Creek Mystery #5)
  • Getting Started Knitting Socks
  • Murder Ties the Knot (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery, #4)
  • A Fatal Chapter (Booktown Mystery, #9)
  • Privy to the Dead (Museum #6)
Aka Margaret Conlan

From author website:

"First, a little biographical information as introduction: Born in Richmond, VA, I grew up in Northern Virginia in Arlington, close to Washington, D.C. I attended university and received a Bachelor's degree in English Literature & Journalism, married, and started my family there. All four of my daughters are grown and established in careers of their own
More about Maggie Sefton

A Knitting Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Knit One, Kill Two (A Knitting Mystery, #1)
  • Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery, # 2)
  • A Deadly Yarn (A Knitting Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, #4)
  • Dyer Consequences (A Knitting Mystery, # 5)
  • Fleece Navidad (A Knitting Mystery, # 6)
  • Dropped Dead Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, # 7)
  • Skein of the Crime (A Knitting Mystery, #8)
  • Unraveled (A Knitting Mystery, #9)
  • Cast On, Kill Off (A Knitting Mystery, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Invisible
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Hush
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series)
    $14.99 $3.99
  • The Historian
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Hellfire Club
    $13.99 $4.99
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99