Start by marking “A Pig, a Fox, and a Box” as Want to Read:
A Pig, a Fox, and a Box

A Pig, a Fox, and a Box

(Pig & Fox #1)

In the style of Mo Willems, Jonathan Fenske tells three humorous stories of two friends, Pig and Fox, and their shenanigans with a cardboard box (all of which involved Pig accidentally crushing Fox in the box). With comic art and simple language, this Level 2 reader is sure to have kids rolling with laughter.
Published June 16th 2015 by Penguin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Pig, a Fox, and a Box, please sign up.
Renee Jonathan Fenske is both the author and illustrator of this book.

Start your review of A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
Cheryl Gladfelter
I actually laughed out loud while reading this. So great!
Joan
This is a 2016 Geisel Honor title. It well deserves it. It is very simple in terms of vocabulary but with a fairly complicated story line. A fox too clever for his own good combined with a patient kind pig who only shows some frustration at one point, nothing harsher than that. Of course, all ends reasonably well, with them still friends. However, it does also show logical consequences in the final few illustrations of Fox. I'm glad to see a Geisel that is in regular reader format rather than pi ...more
Crystal
Cute and silly, but I really felt bad for the fox as he was crushed.
Dan
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the repetition and humor. I can't wait to share this one with my family!

***Read with my kiddos today. It was a hit***
Lisa McKenzie
Kid reviews:
3yo: the fox says woa!
5yo: A fox really got squished? Find out in this book!
7yo:Would pig figure out where fox is? Read A Pig a Fox And a Box.
9yo: What will happen to pig and what will happen to fox? I would also connect this to the boy who cried wolf.
Emily
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
I laughed through this entire book. A+
Maggie Cook
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Title: A Pig, A Fox, and A Box

Author: Jonathan Fenske

Illustrator: Jonathan Fenske

Type of Book (format and literary genre): Progressing Reader (Guided Reader level H)/ Fiction

Awards the book has received (national): Theodore Seuss Geisel Honor Book

Short original summary of the main plot, describe the content and themes of the book: Fox is constantly trying to trick Pig. However, his plans always back fire on him. Fox tries to trick Pig by hiding in a box and jumping out and scaring him. But Pig s
Cheryl
Dec 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Nothing like Mo Willems. More like 'Cat on a Mat' for fans of the Three Stooges. Way more detail in the drawings, which Willems doesn't need because he's got talent. Stilted prose. No detail in the typeface, which Willems doesn't need but effectively plays with. Way less affection, wit, and wisdom. Stupid pig keeps committing grave harm against almost as stupid but also 'accident-prone' fox.

If your child loves this, watch out for the possibility that he develops an interest in pulling the wings
Lisa
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The fox is little, the pig is big and they are friends. But the fox likes to play tricks which always seem to backfire. This early reader has simple words, funny illustrations and a great storyline.

Cross posted to http://kissthebook.blogspot.com CHECK IT OUT!
Lorna
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-readers
A great addition to the easy-reader world. The humor and friendship between Pig and Fox will make this a hit with fans of Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie books. ...more
Benji Martin
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant pick by the Geisel committee. A very hilarious book.
Hannah Givens
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute art, catchy rhymes and a funny story!
Madison Powell
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture Book (Easy-to-Read)
Awards: Geisel Honor Book
Audience: 2nd grade
A. I know that this is an easy-to-read book because it won the Geisel Honor and that is only given to easy-to-read books. I also know that this is an easy-to-read book because it is leveled. The writing in the book is made up primarily of sight words making it easy for young readers.
B. One element that is used in the pictures is line. Lines are used in this book to show movement between the character and objects in t
Brittany
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
"A Pig, a Fox, and a Box" by Jonathan Fenske is a children's book that is separated into three parts, similar to chapters. The two characters, Fox and Pig, are friends but readers quickly learn that Fox likes to play games and pranks on Pig. Fox begins by trying to prank Pig when he climbs into a box, then in the second part, Fox tries to prank Pig into thinking that he is stuck underneath a pile of rocks. By the third part of the story, Fox doesn't want to play his pranks and games anymore beca ...more
Madison
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginner-readers
A Pig, A Fox, and a Box is a picture book for beginning readers. This book could best be utilized by kindergarten and 1st graders. The plot of the story is about two friends who are Pig and Fox. During the story Fox plays all of these tricks on Pig and Pig always falls for it. However, Fox’s plans start of backfire on him. This book provides some comedy and also gives a large about of rhyming with small learning words. Furthermore, the amount of rhyming and repetition would be great for young re ...more
Cindy Kim
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A Pig, a Fox, and a Box is one of 2016 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award honor books. The words on the page are simple for any beginning reader to read. There are many word families and sight words that young children are very familiar with (big, pig, wig, fox, box, little, like, have) The book is broken up into 3 small parts and was a very quick read. It revolves around fox and him trying to trick his friend pig. Unfortunately for fox, it does not work and ends up in a bad situation each time. I thoug ...more
Carly Campbell
This book would be enjoyed by many children. It is funny and the fox is sneaky during the entire book. I think it was well-written for the age-level of 4 to 7 years old. It was kind of a like a comic and it reminded me of the cartoon Tom and Jerry. The fox likes to pull many tricks on the pig with a box, and it was sneaky, but hilarious. I am sure any kid that reads this would enjoy it because it is funny and it involves animals which many kids, especially my students enjoy. There was not many i ...more
Lauren Murphy
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
For beginning readers, this is a great book! The short sentences with simple sight words make for young readers to easily begin to learn to read from this book. The text is told through the text boxes of each character within the story. In addition, the story shows the expressions of the pig and the fox very well. When the pile of rocks is stacked on top of the fox, readers can easily tell the concern of the pig and the fox. In addition, there is humor when the big originally finds a wig under t ...more
Ilana
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Maybe I expected more humour and fun from this book, and it was not only me. My 4yo wasn´t too impressed about the book either, both in terms of the writing and the illustrations. However, one can learn a little bit from the book, for instance about various hierarchies - ´I am little´/`I am big` - eventually some jokes you can - or better can´t - do among friends. Overall though it is not the kind of book to be repeatedly requested to read again and again.

Disclaimer: Book offered by the publish
Annie DeLuco
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book made up of 3 short stories that go back to back were so cute! The rhyming throughout the whole book was so catchy. I loved how the fox tried to be tricky but just ended up getting hurt every time. This silly story is sure to make some kids giggle. I loved how the text was strictly word bubbles, so there was only speck going on, and not any background thoughts or information. The illustrations were also so cute too!
Sydney Ossege
This book actually makes me laugh so hard, unlike any other book. The way that the author decided to have a pig and a fox be friends that decide to play with a box is quite humorous. The simple vocabulary that is being used is perfect for young readers who are in Level 2 reading especially with the illustrations that are involved. I can only imagine the children reading this book laughing out loud and loving the story line!
Kelly Kneisler
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cvtc-child-lit
This book is a Penguin Young Readers, Level 2 (progressing reader)
This is a cute book that has three parts, almost like chapters. This would be a good book for story time. Few, simple words, comic book style and cute characters. A great way to introduce easy readers concepts to caregivers and kids.
Kara Jones
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a good book! I enjoyed reading this story about a pig, a fox, and a box. It was a funny interesting book that even had me engaged into it! I will be reading this book to my classroom one day, because I feel that they will very much enjoy this story and we could find activities to do with the kids to extend the story.
Maria Hatzialexiou
Great illustrations and I love the rhyming throughout the story. The only thing I did not like is that I feel like this book should be for older kids. I am not sure I would read this book to a 6 year old. I feel as if it is long and there is a lot going on for such a young mind. Great story, just a lot and a little long for the younger readers!
Kristin Fahndrich
From the beginning, I thought this story was very basic. The illustrations were simple, and the writing did not leave much to the imagination. One thing I liked about this story was the usage of rhyming as well as different forms of dialogue between the two characters. I think the writer and illustrator could've added more to the story to make it more exciting to read as well as look at. ...more
Jenna M
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exploring-geisel
This book was hilarious, and I can see children enjoying this reading. The vocabulary is simple enough for students to read on their own, yet tells a great tale of a pig and a fox. As the fox tries to trick his friend pig, he accidentally harms himself. The illustrations show the fox looking more beat up with every incident that happens to him.
Mackenzie Wardle
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a Level 2 reader that is broken up into multiple sections. This would be a good and simple read for beginning readers and the story is easy to follow. I would recommend this for silent reading in classrooms to practice fluency. There is nothing special about this book, but that is okay because it is not meant to be a creative story; it is to practice reading skills.
Stephanie
Loved that this book showed the Guided Reading Level specifically on the back. It was rated an "H" level but my son who is working toward "E" level read this book with only a few hiccups. Great book with repetitive familiar words. Silly story line. Love these back to basics books! ...more
Deven
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cvtc-kidlit
Fox is small, and pig is big. This leads to some interesting situations for the two friends. I liked the rhymes and storytelling, and the way the illustrations flow. I would recommend this book for ages 6+.
Elizabeth Miller
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689
Fox tries to play a trick on Pig, but it doesn't work. Then he tried again, and it doesn't work. Fox learns his lesson about hiding. Funny book that would appeal to Elephant and Piggie fans.

I would use this book to teach rhyming. Also could see recommending the book to new readers.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Fox the Tiger
  • What This Story Needs Is a Pig in a Wig
  • Mama Panya's Pancakes: A Village Tale from Kenya
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Hi, Jack!
  • Small in the City
  • Tiger vs. Nightmare
  • King & Kayla and the Case of the Mysterious Mouse (King & Kayla, #3)
  • The Other Side
  • Ballet Cat: The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Be You!
  • The Cat Man of Aleppo
  • I Love My Fangs!
  • Snail & Worm Again (Snail & Worm, #2)
  • I Am Perfectly Designed
  • Dragon's Fat Cat
Jonathan Fenske is the author and illustrator of the leveled readers Woodward and McTwee, Love Is in the Air, Guppy Up!, and A Pig, a Fox, and a Box, which was a 2016 Geisel Honor book. He is also the author of two picture books, Barnacle Is Bored and its follow-up, Plankton Is Pushy. Jonathan lives in South Carolina with his family.

Pig & Fox (3 books)