Start by marking “Monster Hunters: On the Trail with Ghost Hunters, Bigfooters, Ufologists, and Other Paranormal Investigators” as Want to Read:

Do ghosts exist? What about Bigfoot or Skinwalkers? And how will we ever know? Journalist Tea Krulos spent more than a year traveling nationwide to meet individuals who have made it their life’s passion to hunt down evidence of entities that they believe exist but that others might shrug off as nothing more than myths, fairy tales, or the products of overactive imagination ...more
Published June 1st 2015 by Chicago Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Monster Hunters, please sign up.
Tea Krulos Hi Guy (and Ray). Did you read the book? It's not really a book documenting evidence, but one documenting the people who search for evidence. Thanks.

Start your review of Monster Hunters: On the Trail with Ghost Hunters, Bigfooters, Ufologists, and Other Paranormal Investigators
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Houston commercial photography

I don’t watch a lot of television, but when I do I make sure to only watch educational programs like Ghost Hunters or Finding Bigfoot. When I saw Monster Hunters: On the Trail with Ghost Hunters, Bigfooters, Ufologists, and Other Paranormal Investigators available for request on NetGalley I was all over it.

Unfortunately this may have been a case of setting my expectations too high. While there were chapters regarding UFOs . . .

Emma Sea
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Would have made a great essay or article. Krulos's writing style is engaging, but there just wasn't enough material to make a book. Although, I'd like him a whole lot more if he stopped calling women by their first names, and men by their surnames. Not OK, Tea. I appreciated the small sections on the history of various aspects of ghost hunting/fakery/the paranormal. Perhaps this aspect should have been stepped up in order to make a book I could walk away from feeling like I'd learned something. ...more
Jann Obermeier goldberg
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much!

Tea's style of writing is fun and casual; his books are informative and entertaining. This book is as much fun as "Heroes in the Night," and I can't wait for the next one.

Angel
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, netgalley
**ARC provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Tea Krulos leads us on an adventure, chasing after monsters, ghosts, and other supernatural beings in this book. Of course, I am a fan of the paranormal. I wanted to read this book mostly because the Mothman was in it. Point Pleasant is a destination I hope to be seeing soon and I was excited to read more about it . However, there were plenty of other topics I was interested in as well.

I thought it would get boring during some p
Dee Eisel
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Tea Krulos has brought us what should by all rights be a charming investigation of the ghost hunting and cryptid scene in the United States (with a special focus on Wisconsin). From Champ to the skunk ape to ghost investigations in reputedly haunted theatres, this is a book that has the potential to become a favorite for me. Alas, the author shoots himself in the foot.

I’ll cut right to the point: The best sections are the ones on cryptids. Krulos has come up with a lively and entertaining group
Matt Hlinak
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
In ‘Monster Hunters’ Tea Krulos once again explores a fascinating subculture with humor and compassion. His writing is clear and compelling, and I often shared the tingle up my spine that he experienced as he accompanied his unique subjects on their midnight adventures.

Read my full review at Pop Mythology.

I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher.

Matt Hlinak
Author of DoG
Sharon A.
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I was interviewed for this book so you'll find me mentioned. I've not quite seen a book like this. The subject is approached with a journalists' attempt at impartiality. There are some minor errors I noticed but probably no one else would. It captures an interesting aspect of American culture.
Leslie
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow !! Great book. It’s got interesting insights into the normal people who pursue the paranormal, and the weirdos who do the same thing.
Shauna
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun and interesting book. Even if you know a good deal about specific paranormal phenomena, you'll still enjoy this book. Hunting ghosts and monsters through skeptics and those dedicated to finding them, the author describes the personalities and events that make up the paranormal and cyrptozoology field. I liked the book a lot because of the author's perspective on his experiences and his descriptive style.
Tassie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 if I could...
Aimee Kathryn
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!! Wanted to give it 10 stars but 5 was the max
Ami Stearns
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Interesting- I liked reading about people who are fanatical about finding Loch Ness, ghosts, and Bigfoot
Erik
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I vacillated between three and four stars but finally decided to go with four because - dang it - this book was fun to read.

As a journalistic look into paranormal investigators (ghost hunters, Bigfoot folks, lake monster folks, etc.) it does a good job. Lets the investigators present their perspective, but also has a decent amount of input from skeptics (including Sharon Hill's brilliant term 'scientifical' to capture practices that seem to be based in science but are ultimately smoke and mirro
Jenny GB
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this exploration of people who hunt the monsters of this world whether real or imaginary. Krulos embeds himself in paranormal investigations and meets with insiders of the trades of hunting for the unusual and unexplained. While some of the people Krulos communicates with in the book are clearly frauds, many seem to have had experiences and they find the conventional explanations unsatisfactory. So, they turn to trying to capture evidence of something they can't explain. Krulos enterta ...more
Susie
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read Krulos' first book and not only did I enjoy it, but it made me look at a fringe culture in a new light, so when I saw he had a book out about ghost hunters, monster hunters and the like, I had to read this one, too. Like his book on real-life super heroes, he deals with these cultures in an empathetic manner, helping you to understand the motivations behind what they do. It's an inside look that some people might not otherwise get, and if you are at all interested in the subject matter, i ...more
Matt Price
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the interviews with actual people, but it was mostly just paragraphs of interview quotes separated by setting context and some interesting tidbits on some of the subjects such as Loren Coleman's professional background before full time cryptohunting, and the internal politics of paranormal groups. This second subject could be the focus of an entire book. I liked how the author immersed in each context but not sure why he fled the scene so quickly when visiting a Larson meeting. I think a ...more
Sara
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Book received through Goodreads First Reads and Chicago Review Press in exchange for an honest review.

There were some chapters of this that were really enjoyable and others seemed to drag a bit. There were many interesting people and some real characters, which was not unexpected. I especially enjoyed the ghost hunters and PIM.

Some sections dragged a little more and that's really where this falters.

Heather
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh. I was hoping for more substance in this book and quickly found myself skimming major chunks of the book. The book focused a lot on the people that were/are monster hunting over the monsters themselves. I found the book to be disjointed. I guess I was hoping for more "proof" of said monsters but it seems that a strong level of belief and not fact is needed at whatever level of monster hunting/reading you are doing.
Sara
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fic
There were a lot of things that started to grab my attention in this book: old ghost stories, legends of monsters, backstories on people, and descriptions of old buildings, but they quickly gave way to a lot of small town people who charged others for their skills, conspiracy theories, silent seances, empty fields, and more Jesus than I was expecting. The same names kept seeming to pop up in many chapters as if not that many sources were used.
Dayna
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This was totally a guilty pleasure read for me as I gear up for the Halloween season, and I really enjoyed it. The author focuses more on the personalities and background of people who investigate the paranormal, the techniques and equipment they use, that kind of thing, rather than actual paranormal findings (which are, not surprisingly, few and far between, and inconclusive). A fun read though!
Jill
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you every watched one of the find the monster reality television shows, this book is for you. Journalist Tea Krulos takes a serious look at what many believers are urban myth, phantasy creatures, and hocus pocus happenings. If you are looking for definitive answers, this book is not for you. However, if you like the trill of the hunt and want to know more about the hunters, this is a quick fun read.
Stacy
May 28, 2015 added it
I enjoyed this, but not as much as I thought I would. There's no discussion of why these people do this; instead, it's a series of funny, interesting tales of various ghost hunter, monster hunters, UFO people, and such. I was glad to read the chapter with Loren Coleman, Mr. Odd himself. All in all, it's a good book.
Mark Fairchild
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING look into the world of paranormal investigation teams. Covers "Ghost Stalkers" (Ghost Hunters) to cryptozoologist. Accurate unbiased look into this insane world. Must read for people wanting to know what it's like in the crazy world I once read.
Tracy Hollander
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you watch any of these types of shows, whether for humor or whatever, this book is an interesting read. And quite funny in some parts as well. It's definitely crazy the way some of these people act. Sad there are those who did it just to take advantage of others.
Kate Potter
Nov 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was a boring book. I understand that the author, Tea Krulos, wanted to remain impartial and stand on the side of skepticism. Sadly, he took all juiciness out of his stories and, instead, the reader rakes her eyes over 282 pages of sandpaper.
Davienne
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stand-alone, 2016
Very interesting and informative. Made me rethink the way I view the paranormal. It was nice to read about the people behind the research and findings. I liked the human elements; not everyone liking or getting along with each other.
Robert
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very balanced and informative look at the world of paranormal investigation. While there are some people out for a buck, or particularly "out there" written about, Krulos presents his subjects with care and humanizing attention. A good read.
Tea
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, horror, scifi
2.5 stars.
Brettly
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I enjoyed it from cover to cover.
Robin YaBlind
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my travel book - I liked to read it bit by bit when I went out of town. I think its best in chunks rather than reading straight through like a novel.

I've enjoyed it for the (nonfiction) characters, as its more about these unique folks than about what they've found. Krulos writes dialog in a way that helps paint a picture of who they are, giving them a voice that's true to each person. This book is more than the usual ghost stories. Recommended!

• The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)
  • The Ballad of Black Tom
  • Well of Rage: Murder in Mobile
  • 'Salem's Lot
  • What the Hell Did I Just Read (John Dies at the End, #3)
  • Eating the Dinosaur
  • At the Mountains of Madness
  • Batman: The Dark Knight, Volume 4: Clay
  • Full Throttle
  • Abominable Science!: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids
I'm a journalist and author from Milwaukee, WI. I've written for a wide range of publications and have authored 3 non-fiction books: Heroes in the Night (2013), Monster Hunters (2015), and Apocalypse Any Day Now (2019). I also contributed a chapter to The Supernatural in Society, Culture, and History (2018). I have two books out in 2020: Wisconsin Legends & Lore and American Madness.

I write a week