Start by marking “One Ted Falls Out of Bed: A Counting Story” as Want to Read:
One Ted Falls Out of Bed: A Counting Story

One Ted Falls Out of Bed: A Counting Story

A nighttime counting adventure from the author of The Giants and the Joneses. After dark, the only place a teddy bear wants to be is tucked in bed with his child. But this poor ted has fallen out of bed. He’s not very good at climbing, and his child won’t wake up. How can he get back in? Luckily, three mice have some ideas. They take him on the adventure of his life, zooming off i ...more
Published July 1st 2015 by Pan Macmillan (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about One Ted Falls Out of Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Ted Falls Out of Bed

Aoife Fitzpatrick
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my little nephew and he really enjoyed. I also thoroughly enjoyed reading it to him as the lyrical rhyming creates an excellent flow to the story.

The story consists of a little teddy that falls out of his owner’s bed. From here we get an account of Ted’s adventure trying to get back into the bed moving up a number ladder each time e.g. three mice, four cars and five bright stars etc. The counting to nine continues, when they try to build a stairs back up to the bed, but a big cra
Rose
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This delightful book is about a teddy bear who falls out of bed in the night and has to figure out how to get back in to bed. The story describes all the fun he has in the night with all his friends that are in the bedroom. I personally like the book because it flows really well and I enjoy the lyrical quality of the story. It's simple yet made engaging for children through the detailed illustrations and the counting and rhyming.

This book is really well suited for children aged 0-7 y
Bobbie Jo
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘One Ted Falls Out of Bed’, by Julia Donaldson, is a delightful story about a bear’s adventures on the night he fell out of bed. Ted the bear meets all sorts of characters, such as the 3 mice and the 7 trolls and gets up to all sorts of mischief as the story counts up to ten, then back down until Ted is back in bed.
In terms of use in the classroom, this story could be used quite effectively in early year’s mathematics. This is because the author uses clear and easily relatable objects and
Anouschka Fernander
This book is about a little teddy bear who falls out of bed at night, and since he can't reach the bed to climb back in, he decides to play with some of the other toys. After a while though, he begins to miss bed and makes stairs using one, two, three..... TEN RED BRICKS which then crash. There are a lot of numbers being used, from the number of toys he plays with up to ten bricks and then it counts backwards down to "Two eyes open wide. And one ted... Is back in bed."

There is lots o
Jules (Never enough time to read)
One ted falls out of bed is a simple but really sweet story that has become a favourite in our house. It is beautifully illustrated and seems to be one of the books my daughter heads for first. I do think it is a little short but it is so far the best counting story I have came across.

Definitely a family favourite.
Lauren
This book is a great way to engage kids in talking about the kids they sleep with at night. it is also a great way to introduce their counting skills. It has great pictures to keeps the kids attention while they are being read too and it is easy for new beginner readers. I also really like this book because it rhymes and having the kids recognize that is a great thing and allow them to find things in the book that is explaining the rhyme.
Gemma McIntosh
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved reading this with my daughter as it's a fun adventure for bedtime reading in which her toys can be part of the story! In addition, the story ties in simple counting from 1-10 which is fun for toddlers. Great illustration and great bedtime read!
Tara Gibbons
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely rhyming story that has the potential to include counting on each page when reading to or with children. Includes onomatopoeia with 'bang snap pop' and goes from 1 to 10 and then backwards from 10 to 1.
Roseanne
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read my child and until very recently could recite it by heart
James Ruffle
This is a good book for early years to help with counting to 10.
Priyadarshani Panda
A counting Book which tickles the imagination of little ones and makes them wonder what their fav cuddly soft toy would have been doing if it falls out of bed.
Melanie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lovely simple counting book, great for a bedtime story.
Gouri Shankar
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book ....and interesting illustrations...
Imogen Turner-Stangroom.
Good and simple book to use, it can help with counting activities.
Aparna Jyothikumar
Book is okay! Collecting it for my little one!
Mia Morrison
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute little book which counts up then down, following Ted's adventure on the floor after falling out of bed.
Kate
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightfully simple counting story, One Ted Falls Out of Bed tells the story of the adventures one little girl's teddy has, when he falls out of bed, and his journey to get back where he came from.

The story begins with Ted discovering the different toys and creatures that inhabit the little girl's room at night, from the three mice he first meets right up to the nine frogs playing musical instruments. There are pictures alongside each line of the story, so children can practise the
Nadine
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This picture book tells the journey of Ted's adventure back into his bed, whilst incorporating numeracy -focusing on counting from one to ten. It is a simple picture book and would be inviting to a younger child due to the illustrations and short sentances on each page, making the book attractive to a younger reader. It is a complex story, a situation the younger reader might relate to; when their favourite bed time toy falls out of bed and the child awakening when they feel their toy missing. T ...more
Adam
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story and beautiful illustrations! The child in the story inadvertently loses his bear when sleeping. The bear has some small adventures in an attempt to get back into bed, and is eventually reunited when the child sleepily retrieves the bear off the floor in those mid-slumber not-really-awake moments.

Great counting book perfect for the toddler and preschool crowd. The illustrations contain just the right amount of detail that will keep them engaged and is true to the text. Some counting
Oluwatobi Majekodunmi
This story is a great counting story,fect for Julia has a gifted way of engaging young minds during. this book is perfect for reception aged children. Its illustrations are also captivating and fun. i also enjoy reading this bok to my little neice, she cannot get enough of it.
highly recommended.

'One ted falls out of bed.
How will he ever get back in?
Count with Ted from one to ten as he goes on an amazing night-time adventure.'

Oh dear - Ted is
Amy Carter
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks1, picture-book
This book is an amazing resource to use with reception and lower level year ones to raise their awareness and understanding of numbers. The story starts with one ted and then goes up in numbers and also has pictures alongside it which can help children visualise the numbers better. It also allows the children to count the things in the picture and reach a conclusion as to how many of one thing there are. As many other Julia Donaldson books, the story is written with great style and has lovely il ...more
Becky B
Ted falls out of bed and can't get back in. But he has a grand adventure with other toys and creatures in the room until an accident wakes up the little boy and Ted gets back in bed.

The story involves the numbers 1-10 and is roughly in rhyme (some of the rhymes are a bit of a stretch, like doll and troll...umm?). Still for kids who like to imagine what their toys get up to at night, this is a fun book.
Bella
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely counting, rhyming book. I love it because it has a bit of a story and it's whimsical, whilst still going over 1 to 10.

It's my favourite of all our counting books, however my toddler hasn't enjoyed it as much as another of Ms Donaldson's counting books, I would guess because it's not as bright and the text is a little longer, so may it's suitable for a slightly older toddler (she's 2.5 so maybe for a 3 year old?).
Maria
This book has been a Christmas gift to no less than three separate children, because both my husband and I agree it is one of the most fun books to read as an adult - and heaven knows you need books worth repeating!

Simple, sweet, a clever counting book with a great rhyme scheme - this book is a gem. Highly recommended for any child's library.
Dana Vaden
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet illustrations and nice narrative to go along with the counting. I liked that the numbers were used twice - for counting up and then down. Satisfying ending and the perfect length for my little one. An enjoyable read.
Emkoshka
A sweet little rhyming counting book featuring a cute as buttons teddy bear and a variety of toys who help him try and get back into bed. The page with the trolls took me right back to my 80s childhood!
Whole And
Awwwwwwwww, is the best way to describe Julia Donaldson and Anna Currey's counting book.

A sweet bear named Ted has an adventure when he falls out of bed with all the toys in the room but misses his spot on the bed.

Soft and sweet while learning to count, a wonderful read.

Talia
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
One of my son's current favourites. He just loves pointing at all the little details in the drawings and hearing the rhyming words. Very sweet.
Megan Hornberger
This would be great for a storytime.
Stories & Songs: Inside & Outside

• Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • The Teddy Bear
  • Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp
  • Sleepy ABC
  • Red Truck
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramoph