Start by marking “Louise Brooks: Detective” as Want to Read:
Louise Brooks: Detective

Louise Brooks: Detective

A fictional story centered on actress Louise Brooks, this graphic novel by Rick Geary is spun around her actual brief meteoric career as a smoldering film actress who popularized bangs. Geary fantasizes about her coming back to her home town of Wichita where she becomes intrigued by a murder involving a friend, a famous reclusive writer and a shady beau. Not before she get ...more
Published June 1st 2015 by NBM Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Louise Brooks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louise Brooks

Sam Quixote
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Rick Geary takes a break from his brilliant Treasury of Victorian/20th Century Murders series for a work of fiction starring the real-life Golden Age of Hollywood actress, Louise Brooks. Brooks was more famous for popularising the bob haircut than her acting though she had some movie success in the 1930s. However by 1940, when this comic begins, she’d done some European films and returned to find Hollywood was no longer interested in her.

So Brooks went back to her parents’ home in Wichita, Kansa
Michael
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
Mit LOUISE BROOKS, DETECTIVE legt Rick Geary, der eine ganze Reihe von True-Crime-Graphic Novels geschrieben hat, einen fiktiven Krimi vor.

Die Schauspielerin und Stil-Ikone Louise Brooks kehrt zu ihren Eltern ins ländliche Kansas zurück, nachdem ihre Hollywood-Karriere und zwei Ehen gescheitert sind. Die Kleinstadt Wichita und das Leben mit ihren Eltern unter einem Dach bedrücken Louise Brooks nicht wenig. Dieses Setting beruht bis hierher auf Tatsachen.

In Wichita ist es zu einem mysteriösen "
Derek Royal
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Story-wise, and on the level of narrative premise, this has to be about the strongest comic I've read this year so far. And of course the art is very strong, as well, but it's the story idea that has me so amazed. I'm a fan of Geary's murder/crime comics -- and his work in a broader way -- but this is a unique twist on the genre. I'd go as far as to call it an alternate history, of sorts. I'd be amazed if this book weren't in my "Best of" list at the end of the year in some way.

We plan on inter
Cyndi
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Mr Geary's vignettes. Well crafted, strong, linear artwork combined with a fairly quick mystery made for a good read.
Christiane
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I am so used to Rick Geary books being true crime tales, and since this book features a young woman solving a murder, it has been hard to keep in mind that this is actually fiction! Louise Brooks is a real character, an actress popular in the late 1920s-early 1930s. In this fictionalized account of her life, Geary imagines her at age 33, moving back to her parents’ home in Wichita, Kansas. Where naturally she stumbles into a clever (though not clever enough!) murderer. I love Geary’s artwork so ...more
orangerful
Rick Geary tries his hand at historical FICTION and does a wonderful job! As usual, his story left me wanting to know more about the real Louise Brooks. But the mystery was a lot of fun too!
Salamah
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Rick Geary's work. His books never fail to entertain me and keep me enthralled. This story is fictional but he uses a real person named Louise Brooks who was an actress in the early 1900. Geary start's his story with Louise who has now moved back home with her parents much to her distress. However she ends up getting involved in a murder mystery. Wanting to become a writer after not having much success with her dance studio, Louise goes on an adventure to find Thurgood Ellis a writer who ...more
Maria Rowe
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure what to make of this book. I like the story - it’s engaging and entertaining and I love the art. But I’m not really keen on the idea of taking a real person and making up a story about her. This is about the actress Louise Brooks - who I’ve never heard of. And I keep thinking if I come across her in the future, am I going to remember this story but not that it was fictionalized? I just don’t know if I like that format. Was there a point in choosing this particular actress? Couldn’t ...more
Michael
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've always admired Geary's linework, but this is the first book by him that I've read. Most of his stuff falls into the category of True Crime, which isn't a genre I enjoy, but this is full-blown fiction featuring one of my favorite actors as the detective. It's an engaging riddle and though I was a little disappointed with the solution itself, I was thrilled with the way it was revealed. Would love to see Geary create more Louise Brooks Mysteries.
Stef
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was sort of fun. But I found the concept/question of "Why a fictional account of Louise Brooks's life post-Hollywood as a detective?" (actually, she wasn't REALLY detecting--she just happened to be in a certain place at a certain time and a suspicious person) so distracting I couldn't enjoy this as much as I might've.
Kate
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I like mysteries with lady detectives but I wish this had been longer.
Skye Kilaen
This is such an intriguing little book. Louise Brooks was a film actress in the 1920s. In 1940, she moved back home to live with her parents in Wichita, Kansas. In this graphic novel, Geary creates a fictionalized account of her time in Wichita, including Louise getting involved in a murder mystery. The murder itself happens fairly late in the book, because Geary spends a luxurious amount of time building Louise's world and character first. And, it turns out, giving the reader information that w ...more
Richard
Jun 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is one that I was looking forward to reading. I actually really dig the cover, and I'm always on the lookout for a straight mystery graphic novel.

Unfortunately, I thought this was just bad. The art is static, I have no idea why Louise Brooks was the protagonist, and the solution to the mystery hinges on a coincidence that is beyond unbelievable. Not to mention the fact that the crime itself is ridiculous, (view spoiler)
Emilia P
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
More stories on the prairie! Whoopee! Geary clearly knows how to craft a compelling, suspenseful, economical little who-dun-it. For that I commend him, I couldn't put this slim volume down. Was it pretty inconsequential that the detective in question was Louise Brooks who popularized the flapper bang? Indeed! Indeed it was! Would I nevertheless be interested in her further adventures in snooping? Indeed I would! More plz.
Milky Mixer
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This guy is an amazing cartoonist! The lines, the details, all so good! I want more Louise Brooks detective stories too. I can totally see a sequel or series as the famed glamour girl gets swept into another Murder She Wrote style mystery. The art sells this one more than the story - but still a fun breezy read! If you like Louise Brooks, I also recommend the novel The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty.
Craig
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Honestly, Geary has a pastiche that, once familiar, does not grate nor does it innovate. It just IS Geary. But I love him to his very core. There is such a sense of joy in his work, such a sense of comfort that (oddly) comes from his dark & esoteric source material. Geary is an under-rated master, and I will continue to read all of his work.
Andy
Rick Geary has outdone himself with Louise Brooks: Detective. I feared that this venture away from Geary's usual true crime stories into a fictionalized story of a real celebrity would be a let-down, but such is not the case. This certainly belongs among Geary's strongest work.
Nick Nguyen
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun side project from Geary that moves at a brisk pace. I prefer his fact-based crime comics but this is a nice diversion, especially since it stars an alternate reality version of Louise Brooks.
Andréa
Note: I received an ARC from the publisher.
Tone
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, non-fiction
Rick Geary branches out into a first person account. Louise Brooks seems like a fascinating woman ahead of her time.
Peacegal
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Featuring Geary's trademark intricate style, this book is gorgeous to look at and a lot of fun to read.
iewi
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This isn't a mystery as much as it is a story of the MC's life. It's really good, but don't go into it expecting a classic mystery story.
Sundry
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, graphic, fiction
Great artwork, good story

I've read many of Rick Geary's true crime graphic novels. This is an interesting departure. I love his drawing style.the
Christina
Patty
Dec 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
RICK GEARY was born in 1946 in Kansas City, Missouri and grew up in Wichita,
Kansas. He graduated from the University of Kansas in Lawrence, where his first cartoons were published in the University Daily Kansan. He worked as staff artist for two weekly papers in Wichita before moving to San Diego in 1975.

He began work in comics in 1977 and was for thirteen years a contributor to the Funny Pages of