Start by marking “Dear Beneficiary” as Want to Read:
Dear Beneficiary

Dear Beneficiary

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A sexy, adventurous farce about a 60-year-old widow who travels to Nigeria to find out the truth about an email scam, and her 38-year-old lover   Cynthia Hartworth is a feisty 60-year-old who, despite strong convictions that she has everything in her life under control, discovers the modern world isn’t always as it seems. Widowed in her late 50s after a lifetime of dutiful ...more
Published June 1st 2015 by Cutting Edge Press (first published March 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Beneficiary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Beneficiary

Anne
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There can't be many of us who haven't received one of those emails, you know the one that starts with 'Dear Beneficiary', and goes on to inform us that we are due to inherit a small fortune from our long-lost great Uncle Cedric, who recently died in Nigeria. All we have to do is kindly send over the details of our bank account, and our new found wealth will magically appear in our bank accounts.

Yeah, right! That's what most of us will think as we hit the delete button, yet again. Not Cynthia tho
Kirsten McKenzie
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a book about a retired older woman, it was way more raunchy than I was anticipating! But that honestly made it more enjoyable to read. The juxtaposition of an older woman with an exciting active love life embarking on a crazy adventure kept me on the edge of my seat. Anything that could go wrong, did, and I spent the whole book wondering what on earth was going to happen next.
The book left me caring about the characters, even the criminals. Nothing like an embroidering Nigerian kidnapper to
Aly
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a very interesting look at a life after 60. A women that finds another love but is taken advantage of in a scam. She thinks it is all for her lover but in reality it is far worse. The book was so times funny and other times I was frustrated with the character in this book. I enjoyed I different type of book than I normally read. You should check it out! * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Jackie Law
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Dear Beneficiary, by Janet Kelly, is a modern farce about a woman of a certain age. The protagonist, Cynthia, had been ‘diligently married’ for forty years and is now rather enjoying widowhood. A brief affair with a much younger Nigerian man showed her that sex could be enjoyed, a revelation to this very proper housewife from Surrey. Although she was saddened when he had to return to his country it was also something of a relief as keeping him a secret from her family had been tricky at times, o ...more
Claire
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review: Dear Beneficiary by Janet Kelly Publication Date: 19th March 2015

Publisher: Cutting Edge Press

ISBN: 978-1908122872

Source: Author provided ARC

Rating: 5*

Synopsis:
Cynthia Hartworth is a feisty 60-year-old who, despite strong convictions that she has everything in her life under control, discovers the modern world isn’t always as it seems. Widowed in her late 50s after a lifetime of dutiful, but dull, marriage, she decides that life is for living and she takes on a number of activities
Laurie
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dear Beneficiary is the story of Cynthia, a sixty year old widow who deals with the loss of her husband and her newly found freedom by having a steamy romance with a much younger Nigerian man. Cynthia is heart broken when Darius, her love interest, must return to Nigeria to help his family. Cynthia decides to enlist her grandson's help in purchasing and learning to use a computer in the hopes of communicating with Darius, but instead she receives a "Dear beneficiary" e-mail and falls prey to a s ...more
Sharah McConville
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won Janet Kelly's novel Dear Beneficiary through Goodreads First Reads Giveaways. Dear Beneficiary is the story of Cynthia Hartworth,a 60 year old widow, from Surrey. Cynthia travels to Nigeria in search of her new, much younger, love interest Darius. Cynthia's adventures in Nigeria aren't quite what she expects as along the way she is targeted by con men, kidnapped and also makes friends with several unusual characters. Dear Beneficiary is an entertaining, enjoyable read.
Mandy
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this was going to be a fun read from the reviews I read, but no. Unnecessarily explicit and yawningly boring. I'm really strict and try to make myself finish books but I just couldn't bear to waste any more of my life on this drivel, so I stopped about a third of the way through and started a much better book from a favourite author.
Brenda Schneider
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A warm and at times hilarious story about aging. Enjoyed and laughed. I received this book through Goodreads.
Catea Ivanov
Edith
Review copies available 1 6 Feb 28, 2015 07:23AM
  • The Butternut Tree
  • The Day the Words Went Away
  • A Blues for Annie: The Journey of a Teen to Find Herself Through the Turbulent Sixties in London
  • Trifling Favors  (The Redcakes, #7)
  • The Footsteps of Anne Frank
  • Personal Demons
  • Where The Light Falls
  • The Life And Crimes Of Harry Lavender (Claudia Valentine, #1)
  • The Burning (Luther, #2)
  • The Man Who Learned to Walk Three Times: A Memoir
  • The Gonjon Pin and Other Stories : The Caine Prize for African Writing 2014
  • Invisible Immigrants: The English in Canada since 1945
  • Travels in Greeneland: The Cinema of Graham Greene
  • The Accidental Diplomat: Adventures in the Foreign Office
  • Man vs Cat (The Feline Central Books, #1)
  • Twitter Super-Charged
  • Listen
  • Daily Praise And Prayer
“I would read poetry, hoping for solace in knowing that I wasn’t the only one to feel this exquisitely exhausting and overwhelming pain. Alfred Lord Tennyson had no idea of what a woman could feel when he wrote ‘Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.’

There were times I wished I’d never met Darius at all.”
1 likes