Start by marking “Sixth of the Dusk” as Want to Read:
Sixth of the Dusk

Sixth of the Dusk

(The Cosmere)

A fascinating new novella in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, the universe shared by his Mistborn series and the #1 New York Times bestselling Stormlight Archive.

Sixth of the Dusk, set in a never-before-seen world, showcases a society on the brink of technological change. On the deadly island of Patji, where birds grant people magical talents and predators can sense the thou
Published October 16th 2014 by Dragonsteel Entertainment, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Sixth of the Dusk, please sign up.
Josh Later this fall, Sanderson is releasing an anthology titled "Arcanum Unbounded," in which this short story, as well as many others, will be featured.…moreLater this fall, Sanderson is releasing an anthology titled "Arcanum Unbounded," in which this short story, as well as many others, will be featured.(less)

Start your review of Sixth of the Dusk
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sixth of the Dusk is one of the Sanderson novellas collected in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, and one of my favorite stories in that collection.

description

"Sixth of the Dusk" is the name of the main character, who goes by “Dusk.” He's an old-fashioned trapper on his world, where his Polynesian type of culture conflicts with the more advanced society on the mainland. Dusk travels on land and sea with his two Aviar, which are birds endowed with different magical talents that help to protect Dusk
Petrik
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Mini review (I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

Inspired by Sanderson’s interest in Polynesian culture, Sixth of the Dusk is another unique and different than Sanderson's usual novella that took place on a tropical island called Patji. It’s really different in a sense that the magic systems can be found not on an object but on magical birds called Aviar and the main character, Dusk, is also very different to Sanderson’s usual character, he doesn’t talk much and
Fares
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did we expect anything other than 5 stars really?
I'm running out of Sanderson books to read, send help!!
Also, this one and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, have amazing characters and world building, I want more books in these worlds!!
Give!
Me!
More!
Books!
Bradley
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this might have been one of my rare Sanderson misses. Maybe I just wasn't quite in the mood for something of his that I knew would be short. I like his normally long-spanning epic series. That's no problem. But his short fiction? Even if it has some really cool world-building elements?

Well, the magic birds that give abilities and especially the one that allows Dusk to see his dead bodies everywhere was pretty damn cool. But I couldn't really get into all the 'trapper' this and 'trapper'
Valliya Rennell

This short story is the farthest along in the Cosmere so far. It gives me so much to think about in terms of the ramifications of the story in the full length novels so far. I am reallly curious about who the Ones Above are, as well as how this society on First of the Sun was when it was in the same time as the main series. Even though I only had 60 pages of it, First of the Sun is now my favorite planet. I find the entire island gods really interesting. They are reminiscent of Purelak
TS Chan
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dec 2016: Re-read via Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection

Seriously. I can't laud Brandon Sanderson enough for the ingenuity of his Cosmere stories.
So now I know that this story took place in a solar system called the Drominad system. And the knowledge I managed to glean from Khriss' essay made the re-read a very different experience. So much cool information which invited so many questions, and a new symbiotic form of Cosmere Investiture! The geek in me was just reeling from burning curio
Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski
Another one of Sandersons shorts that left me feeling...goddamn Brandon why dont you go and write a full novel on this shit its awesome. A fun read with a brand new world and magic system that leaves you with a taste for much more. Maybe one day Brandon will go back to these stories and expand on tchem. I hope. 5 stars
Choko
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it

*** 3.44 ***

The eight story, "“Sixth of Dusk” (First of the Sun), reads like many a sci-fi stories I have read growing up. We are on a World far behind in technology than ours and an Island not unlike those in Polynesia. A boy named Dusk is a trapper, but in a sense a caregiver and guardian to the very specific Avion creatures who can mentally communicate with humans and are the primary source of finances for the people living on the islands. A big company decides to take over the birds by mapp
Scott  Hitchcock
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sanderson
Read from Arcanum Unbounded.

3.5*. Loved the island world and the concept of cultures at different levels all meeting and their motivations for exploiting each other.
Gavin
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was another fun novella from Sanderson's Cosmere universe. It had everything one might expect from a Sanderson fantasy book. Good world-building, a fascinating magic system, weird creatures, and an intriguing plot.

Sixth of the Dusk is a highly trained Tracker. His main stock in trade are magical birds which can only be found in the Archipelago. Sixth's people worship the mysterious islands as gods and view themselves as their priests. Each Tracker dedicates themselves to hunting on only on
Lady Luna. ✨
3.5/5

This book was amazing. I don't feel the need to write a long detailed review on it. It definitely had some issues, it was to short, the plot wasn't Sandersons best and I found myself thinking it didn't make much sense, however it's still a good read for all mega fans of BS.

Definitely not an important book in regards to the cosmere.

Recommended to all fans of Sanderson. You do not need to read his other books before this one, unless you buy Arcanum Unbounded then I suggest reading Mistborn 1-
Robin (Bridge Four)
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastic-fantasy, ya
3.5 Patji Tried to Kill Me and All I Got Was This T-Shirt Stars

I’m a huge Brandon Sanderson fan, he is my absolute favorite High Fantasy Author. Even in a novella he is able to create an entirely new setting with different magic and characters. In 96 pages he can bring to life an entire story and make you care and want to know even more about these characters.

You can read Sixth of the Dusk even if you have never read anything else in the Cosmere series without any troubles. Dusk is a trapper on
Anna *Bran. San. Stan*
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
And yet another great Cosmere story! The premise of an island whose nature is out to kill people while producing birds with magic abilities was intriguing. The protagonist, the eponymous Sixth of the Dusk, a trapper on the island of Patji has two of those birds – one showing him visions of his imminent death which he then uses the counteract them; another protecting him by hiding his mind from enormous predators both on sea and land. It had a bit of an Avatar-vibe as well, with people from the “ ...more
Holden Johnson
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
Why oh why did this have to end. And on such a cliffhanger too. I absolutely loved this world and unique magic system. The small blurb at the end said that there likely won't be any more stories in this world which really upsets me =( I Loved it.

Full novel please?

I guess I can't have everything I want.
Desinka
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This has been one of the less satisfying of Sanderson novellas. I loved the world and one of the two featured characters, Vathi,but was not all that impressed with Dusk or the story. Knowing what Sanderson is capable of, I found this lacking in comparison to his usual fascinating, fast paced and action packed whirlwind of a story.

Still worth the read and a well deserved 3.5 stars.
Mike
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, novella, fantasy
When I saw the the amazon ad link for this book on io9 I felt it was like a little slice of Christmas come early. I am a self admitted Sanderson addict and had no idea this was even on the horizon (OK, so I am poorly informed addict, but one nonetheless).

Simply put this is an awesome novella and has all the hallmarks Sanderson's other amazing works:

-Kickass female character: The protaganist of this story is a pretty badass Trapper name Sixth of Dusk (for a pretty profound reason you learn later)
Jonathan O'Neill
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 ⭐

Sixth of the Dusk is a novella based in the Drominad System of the Cosmere and influenced by Sanderson's fascination with Polynesian people/culture. It's only 50 odd pages so there's little to say without spoilers.
It is essentially a reflection on how more developed societies strive to take from their lesser-developed counterparts by destroying the 'old ways' and forcing "progression" through the implementation of technology beyond the understanding of the inhabitants.
As I've come to expec
Vagner Stefanello
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want more of this, Sanderson.

Cosmere is amazing!
Mark Medina
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short, not sweet, but very good. Kind of like a mad Tarzan crossed with Pokemon. Enjoyed it.
mina
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this one. Bravo for the idea, the writing was also good. It was a great read my only problem now is that I want to know what happens after. The story is set in nature with predators that read minds and magical birds, what more can you wish for?
OhWell
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a blend of sci-fi and fantasy, leaning towards sci-fi. I have read attempts to mix the two genres before, and they were more or less failures. Brandon Sanderson made the combination work though. No surprise there:)
Renee Godding
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars

Sandersons usual epicness, but compressed to bite sized format.

To start: An open question to Brandon Sanderson:
Dear mr Sanderson, can we please have a full length novel version of this? Please…?
If that would be too much of an inconvenience, a multiple part series would be fine as well. Full epic maybe…?
Regardless of the format, I need more of this please.

I don’t have much intelligent thought to share on this book. Despite the fact that he is one of my favorite authors, I had nev
Becky
I started this novella wayyyyyyy back when it was first available, but for some reason it didn't grab me. Canoeing over dangerous waters to an even dangerouser (totally a word) island sounds cool, but it just didn't hold my attention.

Now though, I think this was needed to maybe work me out of the funk I was settling into. I picked it back up where I left off (thanks Kindle!) and this time it clicked. I was curious about the island and the creatures and who would willingly come to try to exploit
Miriam
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED the world and the idea of Aviars <3
Sambora
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sixth Of The Dusk is a standalone Cosmere short story set on the world known as 'First of the Sun'.

*This will be a spoiler-free review*

Our main character, Dusk, is a trapper and he lives on an extremely dangerous island. This island is one of many, and is found off the coast of a mainland who's society is undergoing rapid technological advancement.
Dusk and the other trappers, all of whom work in isolation (but often against each other) on their separate islands, are - as expected, against this a
Patricija - aparecium_libri
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5
The only issue I had with this is the fact that it was way too short.
I had some Havaii vibe
I decided to start Brandon Sanderson from the least known and shortest works up to the most recent and popular because I did not want to disappoint myself If I didn't like his works. This has not been the case. I loved Brandon Sanderson since the first book I read, Warbreaker.
What is it with Brandon Sandersons writing that makes his works so delicious? Is it the simplistic style with complicated topics?
C.W.
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5, I think. The fact that Brandon Sanderson can write a world like this in under 100 pages is just amazing. I really hope there's a sequel to this - the only thing I really have to say is that the writing itself suffers a bit when condensed into something so short. It was a really fun, quick read though. Also, who the hell are the Ones Above? If they're in the Cosmere...what does that mean? This could be taken in so many different directions. I can't wait to see where it goes. ...more
ana ⚔
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I wish with my whole heart that this was longer, but at the same time the shortness of this doesn't take away the awesomeness.

The plot, the characters, the world so fun to read about, the magic system mysterious and kept me at the edge of my seat and captured me from the start.

I wish there was more. I feel like I could read about the Cosmere and all the systems in it forever and never get bored or tired of it, I always want to know more about all of them.
Lindsey Rey
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, novella
[4.5 Stars]
AND WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR THE COSMERE????
MaWhit
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting world! I love the symbiotic relationships between the humans and birds.
BooktubeSFF Awards: This topic has been closed to new comments. Sixth of the Dusk (2015) 8 50 Nov 01, 2015 11:21AM

• Breach of Peace (The Lawful Times, #0.5)
  • Words of Radiance: The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson -- Sidekick
  • The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
  • The Lightning Tree
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Good People (The Dresden Files, #17.2)
  • New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0)
  • Shadows of Reach
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

The Cosmere (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)