Start by marking “Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy” as Want to Read:
Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy

Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy

(Gotham Academy #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  7,644 ratings  ·  1,024 reviews
Welcome to Gotham Academy, the most prestigious school in Gotham City. Only the best and brightest students may enter its halls, study in its classrooms, explore its secret passages, summon its terrifying spirits...

Okay, so Gotham Academy isn't like other schools. But Olive Silverlock isn't like other students. After a mysterious incident over summer break, she's back at s
Published June 17th 2015 by DC Comics

·  7,644 ratings  ·  1,024 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(4.5)
um can everyone go read this so I have somebody to talk about it with? This series has so much potential to be amazing. I loved this first volume! It was dark and mysterious and just so much fun. I'm probably going to start buying the single issues of this comic, because I don't think I can wait for the next trade to be released. I NEED MORE AND I NEED IT NOW. xD The one thing that I didn't like was that some of the pages were a bit too busy, other than that it was FANTASTIC. I highly reco
Lola
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, comics
I guess we could say that this wasn’t a huge hit for me, if what I enjoyed most about the comic was looking at the illustrations. I’m all for beautiful visuals and details, settings that are original and extremely graphic – easing your way into the story – but, at the end of the day, I want to read a good story.

And this was okay… I mean, it wasn’t bad, sketchy or anything, but I felt as if the characters always knew more about everything happening than I did. And I didn’t like this feeling. The
Jan Philipzig
I guess the idea was to attract more young adult readers - female ones in particular - to the DC Universe: we get a school straight out of Harry Potter, likable young female protagonists, lots of peer issues, hints at romance, a few chilling but rather non-threatening moments, slightly manga-esque yet lush and colorful artwork, and hardly any superheroic action. It's quite an enjoyable package, actually, though I am neither young nor female. I especially appreciate that Becky Cloonan and Brenden ...more
Sam Quixote
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
When the New 52 launched three and a bit years ago, one of the biggest complaints was the lack of variety in the lineup - it seemed like DC was catering solely for thirtysomething white males who only wanted to see violence and women dressed in as little clothing as possible. And of course lots and lots of Batman!

It’s taken them a while but DC have gotten the message! Gotham Academy joins the new Batgirl series as a title very deliberately marketed at the tween girl demo. This is definitely a g
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A graphic novel about the most prestigious school in Gotham City. But of course, this is Gotham City we are talking about so this school is a bit ... special!

I thought that the first volume of Gotham Academy was really good. I liked the art and the story was entertaining to read, but I felt lost sometimes. Often I felt like everyone knew what had happened last summer, all but me that was left out of it and only got scraps of information along the way. But I still enjoyed the graphic novel. I mea
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
A little bit Harry Potter, a little bit Monster High, and a little bit Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters... I enjoyed this, although it may be geared more to younger audiences. It is a fairly solid setup for future stories, although a little heavy on the angst and teenage drama. I'm not sure if I am interested in continuing or not.

I received a digital copy of this from Netgalley and DC Entertainment. Thank you!!

Richard Cardenas
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay I really, really liked this one! I loved the story, it was very easy to follow, and fucking Batman shows up! YAAAAASSSS! I'm interested to know more about Olive's mom and the secrets of the Academy. I really think this would be an awesome live-action TV series too. I will be picking up Volume 2 soon. :)
Carmen
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Comic fans
Recommended to Carmen by: B&N
"That wasn't me at all. I've changed. ... And I don't like the person I'm becoming."

Olive Silverlock is starting her second year at Gotham Academy, after a horrible summer that she can't quite remember clearly. She's got a (maybe?) ex-boyfriend to deal with, his cute little sister Maps following her around, and some bullies to deal with.

Oh, and the school may be haunted.

Oh, and she hates Batman and actively tries to kill him.

Just another day at Gotham Academy...

...

Well, of the three graphic nove
Sesana
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I was really, really looking forward to this book. It sounded and looked like something I'd enjoy. Boarding school! Vaguely gothicy stuff! Manga-esque art! And I liked that it was so different from the sorts of things that have been coming out of DC since Flashpoint. Unfortunately, this just didn't quite deliver what I wanted it to.

It's not bad, and I did like it. It does indeed have all those elements that I was looking forward to seeing in a DC book. But it's also lacking in truly interesting
Mara
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid start. I love the artwork and loved the cliffhanger reveals. Looking forward to the next issues.
Patty
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Source: Library

**3.5 stars**

While the artwork was simple yet fantastic I felt like the plot failed to keep me interested from beginning to end. The storyline felt choppy to me and I feel like I'm missing information about Olive to be able to really enjoy Gotham Academy. I will definitely read the next vol, hopefully I'll get more answers.
sabrina ✨
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was cute but not for me, I just hate that I would literally read the second VOL for Damian Wayne, ugh I hate the batfam
Maddie
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
10/10 would recommend. Boarding school detective club and bat powers? It's the best thing since Lumberjanes and the fact that a crossover exists in this world is what keeps me going.
Shannon
I really, really liked this volume. The tone is so different from pretty much every other DC comic and it's such a welcome change. This kind of feels like any of the DC cartoons that are (mostly) geared towards kids, but are still interesting enough for adults to be entertained too.

This would be a perfect comic for someone who likes YA novels but doesn't think they'd like comics. You don't have to have any knowledge of the DC universe other than that Batman and Arkham Asylum exist, but even that
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
WOOPS I'VE FOUND A NEW OBSESSION.
The artwork: A+
The characters: A+
Storyline: A+
It's got a stylistic mix of so many things I already love, while including so many character types I love! (my favourite characters are Pomeline and Tristan, if you are curious, but I freakin' love Maps and Olive too) The mystery was super engaging and I loved all the cliffhangers. I don't really care for Batman so all of the was lost on me, but I am in it for ghost stories and detective work. MORE PLEASE.
Kaitlin
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was superb! So much better than I had expected it to be with some truly lovely artwork and a really fun story which kind of reminds me a bit of Lumberjanes in the adventurous feeling, but also is for an audience maybe a little older (hence the boarding school setting).

This is a story which is set in Gotham, the same town in which lots of criminals, and Batman, reside. We follow Olive and her group of friends as they try to uncover the mystery of the ghost which seems to be haunting them, an
Erica
I think maybe I've fallen into an alternate universe via some wonky slipstream. The sad thing about this altUniverse is that I'm not rich and famous here, either. The good thing, however, is that I'm not homeless and destitute.

Let me 'splain: For the past several years, I've been Team Marvel because Team DC has offended every one of my delicate sensibilities across the board. I hate the New 52 and their storylines. I haven't bothered with a Batman movie since Ledger died. Wonder Woman's outfits
Chris
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
*Note to self. Don't include any potentially cringe-worthy school references in this review, no matter how tempting it may be*

I'm being slightly generous to Gotham Academy with my rating, as overall I thought it was just ok. The idea of a series set in a school in Gotham is loaded with potential, but aside from a couple of highs and lows, for the most part it was...well, just ok.

I had two prominent concerns from the start. Firstly, Olive Silverlock is a mopey lead character and the mysteries tha
Shannon
A play towards the teen readers perhaps with a feel of Harry Potter to spice it up? I found that the tale dragged but it was an interesting idea and the artwork was awesome so I pushed it up to three stars. Barely.

OVERALL GRADE: C plus to B minus.
David Schaafsma
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-ya, gn-children, tweens
I started off a little cynical about the strategy to Harry Potterize Gotham with young wanna-be crime solvers, and with a girl-focused team, but then it sort of grew on me. I mean, the principle of comics focusing on girls and women right now is a huge plus for me. It's just that when everyone is doing it, you begin to wonder if it is thoughtful, if it is not just a bandwagon cash grab; you begin to discriminate. Oh, good, strong girl stories, but what are the best ones, the most complex and int ...more
Gavin
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Oh right, I read this.

Seems right if they're going for a younger demographic.

I myself won't be following up with this.

That's not a knock on it, it's just kinda ho hum for my tastes.

Even Bruce Wayne is boring here.

Also what the hell about Damian? Thought he was dead? DC has a horrible track record with titles and publishing after he died with him still alive, and published before with him already dead...

I guess I'm too old for this, which is interesting, because Ms. Marvel is far more readable an
Anna
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars, as I really enjoyed this one. It was just plain fun! And while I get that it's miles different from the regular Batman titles, that's what I happened to like the most about it. Probably easier to disconnect from the other famous Gothamites because the Academy seems to be the only fringe connection. Yes, they bring in (minimal) ties to Arkham, Batman & just regular Bruce Wayne have cameos (minor), and the ending shows that there will be a bit of a more lingering link. But ...more
Nihan
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fave-comics
Düşük beklentiyle başlamış olduğum için mi bilmiyorum ama çok sevdim! Karakterler çok sevimliydi ve okurken o kadar çabuk ısındım ki hepsine, ben bile şaşırdım. Çizimler ve renkler çok hoşuma gitti, diyaloglar çok eğlenceliydi. Olay örgüsü ve konunun işleniş biçimi mükemmel olmasa da rahatsız edici değildi.

Yani kısacası t a v s i y e
Faith Hicks
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much! Perfect art, great story, lovable characters. More please!
K.
Trigger warnings: nothing that I can think of?? I did read this pretty fast though, so I may well have missed something... (Lemme know if I have!)

I've been meaning to read this one for a couple of years now, because I've heard pretty good things about it and I'm always on the look out for more YA graphic novels for our collection. I read this in a couple of hours aaaaaaaand while it was very VERY pretty, I was left a little bit...????...by it.

And I think that's for two main reasons:

1. There are
Yerasly
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
This was so so so good! The art is beautiful, the characters are great. I can definitely see this series getting better and better over the next volumes (makes me even sadder because I heard it got cancelled??). (view spoiler)
Amanda
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good!! You don’t need to know anything about Batman to enjoy this. I wish there were eleventy billion volumes 😭
Chris Lemmerman
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If the DC Offices keep putting out books like this and the new Batgirl, I'm never going to have any money again. This book is extremely light on Batman, and you'd be forgiven for forgetting that it's actually a Batman related book at all until around issue 4, and yet it's still worth checking out regardless.

Centered around the adventures of Olive Silverlock, a student at the Academy who had a very traumatic summer and now has to try and adapt to what has happened to her whilst dealing with the u
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Totally outrageously awesome! Here we have a creepy boarding school for teens who apparently aren't just your average kids, though we only learn about a few of them in this first volume. Basically, a mystery this story kept me on my toes and I didn't have a clue where it was going. Each little twist was such a surprise until the ending which absolutely delighted me! Where this story takes place within the DC universe I couldn't really say, except it doesn't appear to be in-line with the cur ...more
Logan
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very Good! So Gotham Academy is about Olive who is transferred to Gotham Academy under The Wayne Foundation! The story slowly unfolds and suggests some paranormal themes on the school grounds! This book also paints batman as a bad guy from at least Olive's perspective which as cool to see! The ending was touching, and hints at whats to come! Overall a must have!

• Gotham Academy: Second Semester, Vol. 1: Welcome Back
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 3: Squirrel, You Really Got Me Now
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 3: Crushed
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 1: Trust Me
  • Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)
  • Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain