Start by marking “Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  52,338 Ratings  ·  13,716 Reviews
This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do. This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady
Hardcover, First Edition, 608 pages
Published October 20th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Illuminae, please sign up.

Ali I started reading on the hardcover, however now am mostly reading it on kindle and very happy with it. It helps to have seen the paper version and get…moreI started reading on the hardcover, however now am mostly reading it on kindle and very happy with it. It helps to have seen the paper version and get a sense for how the content is layered and displayed, but then they've done a good job of conveying, illustrating those details in the Kindle so I'm reading comfortably on just the Kindle. The small images/layers in kindle can be tapped and magnified. The reason I like it on the Kindle is portability; the hardcover is okay if I'm sitting with it in one place at home, however it's unpleasant to lug around.(less)

Jay Kristoff
Nov 04, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
ILLUMINAE is the classic tale of Girl Meets Boy:

with a Mad Computer:

and a Deadly Virus Outbreak:

in the Middle of an Interstellar War:

description

It's without a doubt the coolest book I've ever written.

I'm pretty sure you've never read a book like it.

So . . . enjoy!
Kat O'Keeffe
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS THE COOLEST! The unique format is what really makes this book stand out, but even without that aspect, it's still a fantastic read! Going into it I didn't know a whole lot, but I'd only heard praise, and after reading it, I GET IT. So many awesome elements and surprises--I had no idea where the story would end up, but I loved getting there. Awesome world, great characters, intense moments. It was funny and creepy, and again, just plain COOL.

One of my faves of the year! Definitely recomm
Christine Riccio
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ILLUMINAE WAS SUCH A SPECTACULAR RIDE. FANTASTICALLY UNIQUE STORY TELLING TECHNIQUE, CAPTIVATING STORY. LOVED IT! Here's my full discussion/review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgtey...
Regan
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HOLY CRAP.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
WOW. THIS WAS GOOD. It took me quite some time to really get into the story, but after around the 200 page mark I was hooked!
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, owned
There is no way in hell that I could possibly describe what's going through my head right now. I don't think I'll be functional for a little while.
I'll get back to you on this, but just know it blew me away. Far, far away.
Review coming closer to August, MWAHAHAHH! Wait, October now? Sucks for you that publication was pushed back :P)
Khanh (the meanie)
May 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF at 30%

This book is written in epistolary format, and it has the honor of being the most annoying book I've read this year. Some people love that stuff. I ain't one of them. I love space shit. Firefly. Star Wars (yes, EVEN THE NEWER ONES). Star Trek (I loved Enterprise and I don't care who knows it). This book was just terrible and terribly formatted.

The first few chapters are entirely interviews. It was annoying as shit. It didn't endear me to the main characters, and it explain nothing. Int
Emily May
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, arc, 2015
Visually, Illuminae is an extremely fun and unique kind of book. It's a romantic space opera told through a collection of interview transcripts, diary entries, emails and gorgeous space images like this:

Sounds amazing, no? If I was rating solely based on cool ideas, this would get a bajillion stars.

A book this attractive should not be boring and yet the most exciting things about it - by far - were the unusual style and graphics. The story itself - of a planet being invaded in 2575 - simply didn
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
UPDATED THOUGHTS:
Ok, so I've calmed down a bit and am feeling better about this. It's amazing how many different forms this book took; in the beginning I was intrigued but felt it was a little slow moving, partially due to so many "technical sci-fi (ish)" terms and the choppy format. Amazing how it could feel so hindering yet unique at the same time. Once the stage was set though, I had a really hard time putting this down. I had no idea how many twists and turns I was in for, and I REALLY had n
Cait (Paper Fury)
RE-READ REVIEW:

Yes yes I am officially 100% Illuminae trash and I COULD CRY BECAUSE I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I literally....afjkdlasfd. What am I even supposed to say here? OKAY. Just a few like "reread" thoughts in list format because that's who I am.

• First off the audiobook is freaking amazing and I CANNOT RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH. It's got tons of voices, it's basically dramatised, there is MUSIC and like beep-booping (shh, technical term there) of machines and I lovelovelovelovelove it.
• The em
karen
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
holy ████████ what a ████████ fantastically fun book!

i have never read anything by these authors before. i was aware of kristoff's books, having put them on channels back when i was doing that sort of thing, and i knew about kaufman, but her books had never called out to me. no disrespect, but i see a cover like this:

and my first thought is "not for me." i know my own tastes, and i know that this kind of story is not likely to speak to me.

but this book was getting pushed so hard at BEA, i was c
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read on audible and OMG! It has a full cast of characters! What fun!

Right from the start this book grabbed me! When I got it in the mail I had to put it aside for a bit until I could get to it. I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH I WOULD LOVE THIS BOOK!

I picked said book up, took of the plastic over because I thought, "I can't read it with this on!" Then... I just sat there... looking.. I could quit touching and petting the book! Yes, I touch and pet my books.. get over it :) And I opened it and saw how
kazzy boy
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads

not to be ungrateful but i feel like i've just went through 9 different emotions within the last two minutes and at any given moment now, i'm going to explode and become an entire fucking solar system fdjh;jgsk

anyway, i'm sorry this review is a mess but since i can't even write bad poetry in an attempt to get my feelings outside of myself and until the universe sends me my next favorite person so i can unload all my emotional baggage on them... this hellsite will have to do

“The universe owes yo
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
My video review is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs109...

I have not been having much luck with YA books lately.

My main problem with this book was that the format and the nature of the story caused me to feel detached from the characters and everything that happened to them. I never felt anything for them, so I was very unaffected by any "bad things" that happened. I feel like the plot was good, and the format was really cool, but the combination of the two just didn't work for me.
Ryan
Actual final rating: 4.5/5 stars

Buddy (re)read with my girls:
Jenn, Luna, Em (Kazzexual), Sana, and Mayflower

"AM I NOT MERCIFUL?"

This book was epic. Epic, I tell you!

description

I'm a huge sci-fi fan. As I've mentioned a hundred times over, that stuff is my shit. (Which is why I have filled this review with completely irrelevant Doctor Who gifs, and only Doctor Who gifs. You're welcome.)

description

I think you know the drill by now: I warn the reader of the sheer multitude of gifs and fangirling coming their way, stat
Samantha
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2016
Holy shit. That was a wild ride.
Whitney Atkinson
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015

This book is incredible! Definitely the most unique reading experience i've never had. It felt like you were in a video game, or watching a sci-fi movie. I absolutely love the way it was written and all the cool page designs and the way that the world is established is very immersive and you feel like you're a hacker reading into life on this spaceship. I love how the authors were able to write such a variety of different scenes and voices, for example how the Artificial Intelligence u
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, owned
Wow is all I can really say
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
my heart.
is going to.
E X P L O D E.

Since my brain is still a cacophony of 1's and 0's and !!!!!!'s and fUCK's, I thought I'd walk you through it in gif form:

description

And that about sums up what Illuminae will do to you. Are you ready? Probably not. It's a motherfucking zombie apocalypse in outer space.

Do it anyway.

Even if the wikipedia-like texts and dossier narrative style turns you off. Especially if they do, because believe me you, I was in that same boat as you and now my mind's been blown in two.
Taneika
This is one of the most hyped up books EVER so I was actually kinda hesitant to pick it up. BUT WOW. This book was absolutely wonderful. It took me a while to get into the first 100 pages or so, but after that, I absolutely flew threw it.

Illuminae (sorry, Illumin-YAY) consists entirely of pictures, diagrams, transcripts of recordings, interviews, instant messages, and the like. IT MADE A 600 PAGE BOOK (which I think very FEW books get away with that length) FEEL SO SHORT.

This is the story of a
Steph Sinclair
wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. My brain can't keep up with my emotions!

There are very few times when I actually wish I could give a book more than 5 stars. VERY FEW.

And yet, this is one of those times. I am blown away.

Amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing. Review to come.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually ended up liking this a lot more than I expected!
Melanie
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is so much hype surrounding this book, but after seeing Gemina make so many of my friends' "Favorite Books Published in 2016" lists, I couldn't ignore this series any longer. I also knew that it was told in a multimedia format, filled with interviews and IM conversations, and that made me a little apprehensive. This book was so unexpectedly addictive.

This story starts off in a much further progressed world, in both years and technology, than ours, on a hidden and secluded planet far, far a
Mara
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-top-reads
Epic motherfucker of a book, excuse the language.
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, year-2017, 4-star
Surveillance footage summary,
prepared by
Analyst ID 8759-6294-DN

Subject known as 'Mary' is experiencing high levels of emotional distress while reading. Her demeanor is rapidly shifting from joy & mirth to shock & indignation and then back again. Facial expressions accordingly. Thirty minutes ago she slammed the book closed and tossed it away from her with the purest look of terror I have ever witnessed, but now she's back with her nose buried between the pages. Seriously, what the ███ is
Natalie
Jun 02, 2016 marked it as dnf
description

I tried picking this up and continuing multiple times, but I just can't do it. I think I'm going to have to put it down for now.
The whole Unipedia sections were not working for me, it felt too much like homework?? And I started skipping a lot and then not understanding anything...

Maybe (hopefully) I'll pick it up closer to Gemina's release and somehow enjoy it more then?

This review and more can be found on my blog.
Riley
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-review
This was probably the best book I've read all year! Such an amazing story! I am speechless when it comes to this book
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-hate
“Am I not merciful?”

^^ This was a real HOLLY-MOTHER-NO-FUCKING-WAY moment. <3

5 stars for the writing style.
4.5 stars for the audiobook.
3.5 stars for the plot.
3 stars for the characters.
10 stars for AIDAN!

AIDAN, Winifred, Byron, James and Dorian were great!! Unfortunately, i DID NOT like Kady, she was a little too overdone. Ezra on the other hand was hilarious, but too cheesy for my taste.

"IF I BREATH, I WOULD SIGH.
I WOULD SCREAM, I WOULD CRY.

___《RESTART COMPLETE》___
__________I__________
Candace
Wow! This book certainly took me by surprise. I'm still digesting exactly what transpired in this book.

'Illuminae' was unlike anything that I've read before. For starters, I'm not a big Science Fiction fan. However, this story had a strong romance element and so it managed to draw me in and hold my attention. That being said, I was definitely stepping out of my comfort zone with this book.

The writing style was also very unique. The story is told through the transcripts of recordings, e-mails an
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Soulprint
  • When I Wake
  • Stone Rider
  • The Body Electric
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever #1)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
  • Fallout (Lois Lane, #1)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • Razorhurst
  • Where Futures End
  • Dreamstrider
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • Archivist Wasp
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Cage (The Cage, #1)
  • Tracked (Tracked, #1)
Amie Kaufman is the New York Times bestselling co-author of Illuminae (with Jay Kristoff) and These Broken Stars, This Shattered World, and Their Fractured Light (with Meagan Spooner.) She writes science fiction and fantasy for teens, and her favourite procrastination techniques involve chocolate, baking, sailing, excellent books and TV, plotting and executing overseas travel, and napping.

She liv
More about Amie Kaufman...

The Illuminae Files (3 books)
  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
  • Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3)
“You have me. Until every last star in the galaxy dies.

You have me.”