Start by marking “Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  72,290 Ratings  ·  17,753 Reviews
This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do. This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady
Hardcover, First Edition, 602 pages
Published October 20th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Illuminae, please sign up.
Ali I started reading on the hardcover, however now am mostly reading it on kindle and very happy with it. It helps to have seen the paper version and get…moreI started reading on the hardcover, however now am mostly reading it on kindle and very happy with it. It helps to have seen the paper version and get a sense for how the content is layered and displayed, but then they've done a good job of conveying, illustrating those details in the Kindle so I'm reading comfortably on just the Kindle. The small images/layers in kindle can be tapped and magnified. The reason I like it on the Kindle is portability; the hardcover is okay if I'm sitting with it in one place at home, however it's unpleasant to lug around.(less)

Jay Kristoff
Nov 04, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
ILLUMINAE is the classic tale of Girl Meets Boy:

with a Mad Computer:

and a Deadly Virus Outbreak:

in the Middle of an Interstellar War:

description

It's without a doubt the coolest book I've ever written.

I'm pretty sure you've never read a book like it.

So . . . enjoy!
Kat O'Keeffe
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS THE COOLEST! The unique format is what really makes this book stand out, but even without that aspect, it's still a fantastic read! Going into it I didn't know a whole lot, but I'd only heard praise, and after reading it, I GET IT. So many awesome elements and surprises--I had no idea where the story would end up, but I loved getting there. Awesome world, great characters, intense moments. It was funny and creepy, and again, just plain COOL.

One of my faves of the year! Definitely recomm
Christine Riccio
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ILLUMINAE WAS SUCH A SPECTACULAR RIDE. FANTASTICALLY UNIQUE STORY TELLING TECHNIQUE, CAPTIVATING STORY. LOVED IT! Here's my full discussion/review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgtey...
Regan
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HOLY CRAP.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
WOW. THIS WAS GOOD. It took me quite some time to really get into the story, but after around the 200 page mark I was hooked!
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, owned
There is no way in hell that I could possibly describe what's going through my head right now. I don't think I'll be functional for a little while.
I'll get back to you on this, but just know it blew me away. Far, far away.
Review coming closer to August, MWAHAHAHH! Wait, October now? Sucks for you that publication was pushed back :P)
Emily May
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, arc, 2015
Visually, Illuminae is an extremely fun and unique kind of book. It's a romantic space opera told through a collection of interview transcripts, diary entries, emails and gorgeous space images like this:

Sounds amazing, no? If I was rating solely based on cool ideas, this would get a bajillion stars.

A book this attractive should not be boring and yet the most exciting things about it - by far - were the unusual style and graphics. The story itself - of a planet being invaded in 2575 - simply didn
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
DNF at 30%

This book is written in epistolary format, and it has the honor of being the most annoying book I've read this year. Some people love that stuff. I ain't one of them. I love space shit. Firefly. Star Wars (yes, EVEN THE NEWER ONES). Star Trek (I loved Enterprise and I don't care who knows it). This book was just terrible and terribly formatted.

The first few chapters are entirely interviews. It was annoying as shit. It didn't endear me to the main characters, and it explain nothing. Int
C.G. Drews
RE-READ REVIEW:

Yes yes I am officially 100% Illuminae trash and I COULD CRY BECAUSE I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I literally....afjkdlasfd. What am I even supposed to say here? OKAY. Just a few like "reread" thoughts in list format because that's who I am.

• First off the audiobook is freaking amazing and I CANNOT RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH. It's got tons of voices, it's basically dramatised, there is MUSIC and like beep-booping (shh, technical term there) of machines and I lovelovelovelovelove it.
• The em
Em
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
not to be ungrateful but I feel like I've just went through 9 different emotions within the last two minutes and at any given moment now, I'm going to explode and become an entire fucking solar system fdjh;jgsk

anyway, I'm sorry this review is a mess but since I can't even write bad poetry in an attempt to get my feelings outside of myself and until the universe sends me my next favorite person so I can unload all my emotional baggage on them... this hellsite will have to do

“The universe owes yo
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
UPDATED THOUGHTS:
Ok, so I've calmed down a bit and am feeling better about this. It's amazing how many different forms this book took; in the beginning I was intrigued but felt it was a little slow moving, partially due to so many "technical sci-fi (ish)" terms and the choppy format. Amazing how it could feel so hindering yet unique at the same time. Once the stage was set though, I had a really hard time putting this down. I had no idea how many twists and turns I was in for, and I REALLY had n
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read on audible and OMG! It has a full cast of characters! What fun!

Right from the start this book grabbed me! When I got it in the mail I had to put it aside for a bit until I could get to it. I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH I WOULD LOVE THIS BOOK!

I picked said book up, took of the plastic over because I thought, "I can't read it with this on!" Then... I just sat there... looking.. I could quit touching and petting the book! Yes, I touch and pet my books.. get over it :) And I opened it and saw how
Warda
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Mind boggled.
1: due to confusion.
2: it was damn good!

This’ll take a while for me to process. For now what I can say though as much as I loved the format, it made a little difficult for me to completely connect with it. It would through me off at times as there wasn’t your typically well-known flow and I had to try and grasp the story each time. And quite often.
It was quite technical. I mean, I loved it since everything was so fascinating, but some things I just couldn’t grasp.

The best part w
karen
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
holy ████████ what a ████████ fantastically fun book!

i have never read anything by these authors before. i was aware of kristoff's books, having put them on channels back when i was doing that sort of thing, and i knew about kaufman, but her books had never called out to me. no disrespect, but i see a cover like this:

and my first thought is "not for me." i know my own tastes, and i know that this kind of story is not likely to speak to me.

but this book was getting pushed so hard at BEA, i was c
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
My video review is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs109...

I have not been having much luck with YA books lately.

My main problem with this book was that the format and the nature of the story caused me to feel detached from the characters and everything that happened to them. I never felt anything for them, so I was very unaffected by any "bad things" that happened. I feel like the plot was good, and the format was really cool, but the combination of the two just didn't work for me.
Samantha
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2016
Holy shit. That was a wild ride.
Ryan
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Basically everyone
Actual final rating: 4.5/5 stars

Buddy (re)read with my girls:
Jenn, Luna, Em (Kazzexual), Sana, and Mayflower

"AM I NOT MERCIFUL?"

This book was epic. Epic, I tell you!

description

I'm a huge sci-fi fan. As I've mentioned a hundred times over, that stuff is my shit. (Which is why I have filled this review with completely irrelevant Doctor Who gifs, and only Doctor Who gifs. You're welcome.)

description

I think you know the drill by now: I warn the reader of the sheer multitude of gifs and fangirling coming their way, stat
Whitney Atkinson
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This book is incredible! Definitely the most unique reading experience i've never had. It felt like you were in a video game, or watching a sci-fi movie. I absolutely love the way it was written and all the cool page designs and the way that the world is established is very immersive and you feel like you're a hacker reading into life on this spaceship. I love how the authors were able to write such a variety of different scenes and voices, for example how the Artificial Intelligence u
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Wow is all I can really say
Melanie
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is so much hype surrounding this book, but after seeing Gemina make so many of my friends' "Favorite Books Published in 2016" lists, I couldn't ignore this series any longer. I also knew that it was told in a multimedia format, filled with interviews and IM conversations, and that made me a little apprehensive. This book was so unexpectedly addictive.

This story starts off in a much further progressed world, in both years and technology, than ours, on a hidden and secluded planet far, far a
April (Aprilius Maximus)
9/3/18
Still a masterpiece.

2015
THAT. WAS. EPIC.
Video Review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHd83...
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
my heart.
is going to.
E X P L O D E.

Since my brain is still a cacophony of 1's and 0's and !!!!!!'s and fUCK's, I thought I'd walk you through it in gif form:

description

And that about sums up what Illuminae will do to you. Are you ready? Probably not. It's a motherfucking zombie apocalypse in outer space.

Do it anyway.

Even if the wikipedia-like texts and dossier narrative style turns you off. Especially if they do, because believe me you, I was in that same boat as you and now my mind's been blown in two.
Taneika
This is one of the most hyped up books EVER so I was actually kinda hesitant to pick it up. BUT WOW. This book was absolutely wonderful. It took me a while to get into the first 100 pages or so, but after that, I absolutely flew threw it.

Illuminae (sorry, Illumin-YAY) consists entirely of pictures, diagrams, transcripts of recordings, interviews, instant messages, and the like. IT MADE A 600 PAGE BOOK (which I think very FEW books get away with that length) FEEL SO SHORT.

This is the story of a
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually ended up liking this a lot more than I expected!
Steph Sinclair
wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. My brain can't keep up with my emotions!

There are very few times when I actually wish I could give a book more than 5 stars. VERY FEW.

And yet, this is one of those times. I am blown away.

Amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing. Review to come.
Marali
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads
Epic motherfucker of a book, excuse the language.
Lola
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It’s true what they say. You don’t need to be a fan of science fiction to love this book. I, for one, am not and I could reread the hell out of this book.

The rumours are true. This is an addictive story told in letters, interviews, journal entries and other cool documentation. For creativity alone, this book deserves five full stars.

How convenient that Kady’s world is attacked right when she decides to break up with her boyfriend. I live for good irony. Kady and Ezra keep in touch after they b
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, year-2017, 4-star
Surveillance footage summary,
prepared by
Analyst ID 8759-6294-DN

Subject known as 'Mary' is experiencing high levels of emotional distress while reading. Her demeanor is rapidly shifting from joy & mirth to shock & indignation and then back again. Facial expressions accordingly. Thirty minutes ago she slammed the book closed and tossed it away from her with the purest look of terror I have ever witnessed, but now she's back with her nose buried between the pages. Seriously, what the ███ is
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
“Am I not merciful?”

^^ This was a real HOLLY-MOTHER-NO-FUCKING-WAY moment. <3

AIDAN, Winifred, Byron, James and Dorian were great!! Unfortunately, i DID NOT like Kady, she was a little too overdone. Ezra on the other hand was hilarious, but too cheesy for my taste.

"IF I BREATH, I WOULD SIGH.
I WOULD SCREAM, I WOULD CRY.

___《RESTART COMPLETE》___
__________I__________
_________AM__________
AIDAN AIDAN AIDAN
Nat
Jun 02, 2016 marked it as dnf
description

I tried picking this up and continuing multiple times, but I just can't do it. I think I'm going to have to put it down for now.
The whole Unipedia sections were not working for me, it felt too much like homework?? And I started skipping a lot and then not understanding anything...

Maybe (hopefully) I'll pick it up closer to Gemina's release and somehow enjoy it more then?

This review and more can be found on my blog.
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Soulprint
  • When I Wake
  • Stone Rider
  • The Body Electric
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever #1)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
  • Fallout (Lois Lane, #1)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • Razorhurst
  • Where Futures End
  • Dreamstrider
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • Archivist Wasp (Archivist Wasp Saga, #1)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • The Cage (The Cage, #1)
  • Tracked (Tracked, #1)
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times, USA Today and internationally bestselling author of science fiction and fantasy. Her multi-award winning work has been published in over 35 countries, and is in development for film and TV. A couple of her career highlights so far include professional wolf-howling lessons, and working as a story consultant at NASA. You can sign up for her newsletter to see what sh ...more
More about Amie Kaufman

The Illuminae Files (3 books)
  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
  • Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99