Start by marking “Once Upon a Cowboy (Whisper Creek, #3)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Cowboy (Whisper Creek, #3)

Once Upon a Cowboy

(Whisper Creek #3)

In this sexy Whisper Creek romance for readers of Kristan Higgins, Susan Mallery, and Molly O’Keefe, a red-hot cowboy uses some Montana magic to give a reclusive beauty her happily ever after.

Yoga instructor Jessalyn Alcott radiates peace, calm, and serenity—on the outside. Inside, she still feels like the broken, desperate girl from the trailer park. She’s got dark secre
Published June 30th 2015 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Cowboy

Wendy'sThoughts
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Whisper Creek Series, Maggie McGinnis Fans, Western Romance
4 The Cowgirl Whisperer Stars
* * * *
This was a Huge Win. This had heart, humor, confrontation of unfortunate circumstances and overcoming all odds.

Not To Mention...A Smokin' Hot Cowboy named Cole....

If you love the kind of tales which make you swoon emotionally and the payoff is in their finally loving each other ... Than this is your ticket to Big Sky Dreams coming true.

This is the story of Jessalyn, a woman who comes from one of those small towns which has a true dividing line between the ha
Claire Robinson
5 - "Once upon a time... There was a handsome cowboy prince." Stars!

I love this series, think of every word you can for good, and that sums up my feelings about Whisper Creek. Every book in the series has delivered more than I expected it to, and I had extremely high expectations in the first place. But Maggie McGinnis has once again given me the story that I wanted so much, but added so many more facets to it that I didn’t even realise it needed.

”There’s nothing regular about you.”

Cole Driscoll
Terisa
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just minutes before leaving for Whisper Creek for her best friend's wedding, Jess' past caught up with her present. A past that she had left behind thirteen years ago and swore that she would never go back to but one phone call brought back all of the memories and made her face all of the lies that she had told. Lies that she tried her best to forget and lies that she told to her best friends Kyla and Hayley for years. Now she was faced with the awful truth of not only what she had left behind b ...more
Samantha
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once Upon a Cowboy gets 4 stars. The read was sweet. Cole is damn near perfect and Jess is more than a little messed up. Jess had a horrible young life which left her scared physically and emotionally. Cole and Jess have been dancing the attraction line for two years until it all comes to a head. I liked the book, it was an easy read and pretty well written but it also was a touch boring. I suppose I like more conflict throughout a story and this story doesn't have much. Overall, I liked the sto ...more
Shelli
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love my Cowboys......
This one was a heart breaker.
Amazing what a child can go through and still over come it and make something of herself. Finding a totally hot Cowboy is the icing on the cake.
Dawn ♥ romance
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story had an exciting ending and a few funny parts but the development of the relationship was pretty slow going. There really wasn't much of a plot beyond the gradual reveal of the heroine's past. I was easily distracted from reading and skimmed some. Yoga instructor Jess travels west for a friends wedding and is attracted to the best man, rancher Cole.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

**As we know that some scenarios in books can be a trigger for some readers we want to make you aware that this book includes the retelling of past physical abuse.

Every book in Maggie McGinnis' Whisper Creek series has been good but I'll admit I was so waiting for Jess and Cole's happily ever after and she delivered big time in Once Upon A Cowboy. I enjoy sweeter romance and this author always manages to get it right offering up a wh
Mandy
I really loved this story! Jess is back at Whisper Creek Ranch for her friends wedding. Cole is one of the cowboys at the ranch and he and Jess met two years ago when her and her friends came out for a girls weekend. They had instant chemistry but never acted on it. Jess has secrets and a devastating past that she's never shared with anyone - including her best friends. When Jess gets a letter from someone in her past, she realizes that the past is really never far behind. This is a clean romanc ...more
Delene Yochum
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maggie McGinnis has written an emotional,heart wrenching and heart grabbing book. The story of Jessalyn and Cole is the third in the Whisper Creek series. Having read the previous two books I was anxiously waiting for Cole and Jess's story. Jess, has a very emotional and dark past and Cole, he is what holds Whisper Creek together, even tho sometimes he wishes things were different. Jess returns for her best friends wedding, she and Cole have had an attraction that has been ignored for a few year ...more
Bette Hansen
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While I have loved each of the Whisper Creek stories, I must say this one is truly my favorite. The story is heartwarming, emotional, and will grab you from the start. Cole and Jess first met two years ago but each has always held back. Cole is tired of hiding his attraction but Jess is still holding back. As Jess's story slowly unravels we get to understand her better and Cole being the kind, loving soul he is won't let her hide any more. This is a great story and will have you laughing at some ...more
Sarah Robinson
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maggie combines nostalgia, romance, and heartbreak into the Whisper Creek characters in a way that will leave you emotionally drained and your heart full.

This book is sweet and makes your heart ache the entire time. You'll cry and smile and fall in love for a third time with another Whisper Creek cowboy.

Amazing job, absolutely loved it! ❤
Jackie
Book Info
Expected publication: June 30th 2015 by Loveswept
ISBN 1101884967 (ISBN13: 9781101884966)
series Whisper Creek #1
other editions (1)
Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links
Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

In this sexy Whisper Creekromance for readers of Kristan Higgins, Susan Mallery, and Molly O’Keefe, a red-hot cowboy uses some Montana magic to give a reclusive beauty her happily ever after.

Tina ( As Told By Tina )
I received a copy in exchange for an honest opinion. This does not influence my opinion in any shape or form.

Once upon a cowboy has a little bit of everything. A gorgeous cowboy, a wonderful farm, friends who are basically family and the girl needing a bit of rescuing from not only herself but her past.
I liked Once Upon a Cowboy but I didn't love it. I don't even know why I didn't love it either, I just didn't. I'm not sure if something was missing, or what I wanted to happen. I just wasn't sur
Julie
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once Upon a Cowboy by Maggie McGinnis is a 2015 Loveswept publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What a wonderful heartwarming story by Maggie McGinnis! This book is part of the Whisper Creek series featuring Cole, a good looking cowboy who has walked in the shadow of his super smart brother, and Jess, a yoga instructor, and her two best friends who have married into the Driscoll family or are about to. But, Jess has yet to make the move to Whisper Cree
1-Click Addict Support Group
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having come to this series late -- as in, reading what appears to the the last book first, late -- I am happy to report that I'm now making plans to move to Carefree, Montana and Whisper Creek.

Jessalyn Alcott is still smarting from the past she left behind more than a decade ago. And it's because of that past that she never lets men get too close. Not even Cole Driscoll, the super sexy, very dreamy Montana cowboy of her dreams.

Cole sees the pain in Jess' eyes every time he tries to get close t
Susan (susayq ~)
I don't know why,but I don't usually expect angst from a cowboy love story. I guess I figure he will swoop her up on his horse and ride into the sunset all happy. So, when I get some angst with some cowboys, I get happy :)

Jess has had a HORRIBLE life growing up. She's beyond strong and I love her. She deserves happiness, and thank the big Montana sky, Cole will give it to her :) I can't say much more without giving away the story. Just read it. The flashbacks of Jess growing up will break your h
Irene
4.5 heartwarming stars

Once Upon a Cowboy was such a good read, I couldn't put it down!

I loved watching Cole and Jess fall in love, they were perfect for each other.
Their love story touched my heart and I was so happy Jess finally found happiness after everything she had been through.

Once Upon a Cowboy truly was a beautiful heartfelt love story and I highly recommend it and all the books from The Whisper Creek series.

Thank you Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via Netgalley for the advanc
Danielle
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, made-me-cry
You know you're in for an emotional read when you're less than 10% in and you already have tears in your eyes and that's exactly what happened to me when I was reading Once Upon a Cowboy. I haven't read the first two books in this series but you better believe after reading this one I will be going back and doing just that.

Jess had a difficult childhood and has been on her own since she was sixteen years old. She thought she had put her nightmares behind her until she receives a phone call from
Jessica Alcazar
When I read A Cowboy's Christmas Promise, book 2 of this series, last November, I was SO taken with Maggie McGinnis that I wrote in my review: "CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE FROM WHISPER CREEK!" and, yeaaaaaaaaaaaa, here it is! LOL

Once Upon a Cowboy was just as fantastic. There's more to this book than just a fiction romance story. SO MUCH MORE. There true and very real issues as part of leads backgrounds/pasts that are perfectly presented and handled.

This is the story of Cole Driscoll and Jess Alcot
Abigail
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
**I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review, may contain spoilers**

This is the first McGinnis book I've read, and although this book is part of a trilogy, I had no idea until almost three-quarters of the way through this book. It reads great as a stand-alone romance but the writing is of such a good quality that I want to go back and read the first two books to get to know those characters better. This book is a vanilla romance set in Montana and is of the quality and style that I coul
Kristine
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received an advanced readers copy from Loveswept via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

The characters in this book were not new to me but I had forgotten how much I loved them until I started reading. Although I was familiar with the characters and some of the back story it was not necessary in order to follow along.

Once Upon a Cowboy grabbed me from the very first page. I was thinking "what??" It certa
Kathie (katmom)
HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!!!

This is the third book in the Whisper Creek Series by Maggie McGinnis. I've read the second one, A Cowboy's Christmas Promise, and loved it.

You know, we read romance novels to follow the main characters' journey to an HEA. I expect there to be a few road bumps along the way. I want them to earn their HEA. In this book, the heart fail is huge! And dark. Jess had a hard life...like scary, heartbreakingly hard. I really wanted her to get that HEA, that's for sure.

Once again,
Jillyn
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: requested
As most of my regular readers have probably figured out, I love a good cowboy story. I've recently become addicted to them, and I cannot seem to stop. I was really excited to get my hands on Once Upon a Cowboy, and I'm happy to say that it was every bit as good as I had hoped.

What is great about this book is the level of emotion. A lot of the time, I personally feel that romance books get away from the actual plot of the story in order to make romance the most in-your-face element, but it wasn'
Rob.C. Rob.C.
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, Maggie McGinnis for another amazing story! If you love cowboys and have dreamt at least once in your life of moving to Montana (or is it only me?), you will definitely love this book.

I really love this author’s style, because she creates beautiful stories with well-rounded, relatable characters, settings and dialogues that make you feel as if you’re actually there, watching the whole story unroll in front of your very eyes.

Plus, she gets a bonus star because she doesn’t have to use
Paula  Phillips
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen years ago, Jess Alcott was back in her hometown and was called Starr Smith and dating a guy called Billy. One night they went driving and stopped at Mack's as Billy wanted to buy some booze. Things ended badly and Billy shot Mack. Over the next few days, things went down hill from there and Starr discovered she was pregnant with Billy's baby and he left her for dead. That night, she escaped with a new identity and went to live her life as Jessalyn Alcott . Now years later , someone from ...more
Cas H.
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once Upon a Cowboy by Maggie McGinnis was an excellent read. I have read Maggie McGinnis before, and I am familiar with the Whisper Creek series. I thought that this book was a wonderful addition to the series. Cole, is one sexy cowboy and Jess is one smart city girl who is out at the ranch for a wedding of one of her best friends. Cole and Jess met two years previous on their first excursion to the ranch in Montana where she and her best friends would stay, and eventually meet their future husb ...more
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author, and so it was kind of refreshing to be able to explore a new writing style and just sort of jump in with no preconceived expectations. I had read the synopsis and thought it sounded like something that was right up my alley, and boy was I right! I am a sucker for a well written western romance story equipped with a smooth talking, good heart-ed cowboy and this book definitely had all of that and then some!

The main characters Cole and Jesslyn had amazing che
Ruthie Taylor
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads

This is a delightful story which will by the end bring a tear or two to all but the hardest reader - and what are they doing reading romantic fiction anyway?

This is the third in a series, and the one we had all been waiting for ... as the first two friends had already fallen, and to be honest Cole and Jess had been dancing around their 'friendship' the whole time. But it is entirely understandable now, as we learn of Jess's r
Ellen
Maggie McGinnis has outdone herself in Once Upon a Cowboy. In this third book of the Whisper Creek series, we come alongside Jess, the last of the three college friends who are slowly marrying off to Whisper Creek men. We meet all three in Accidental Cowgirl; but Jess' story in Once Upon a Cowboy brings home what many women survive: abuse from the ones who should be protecting them.

Maggie has penned a heart-felt story of how the past not only affects your present, but also your present and futu
Kristine Ruiz
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jess is a women that grew up with a dark past she hid from everyone. She live with torment from her mother and aunt and never new her father. She had an abbusive relationship that went so wrong she wasn't sure what to do. But events in her life led her to a place that changed her in to a new person, where she met two friends that were like her family. So afraid to let love in or allow a man near her she hides herself from everyone till one day a letter comes and all the past memories come back.

C
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hustlin' Texas (Texas Fever, #2)
  • Never Love a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #5)
  • Three Weeks with a Bull Rider (Oklahoma Nights, #3)
  • Accidentally in Love (Friends First, #3)
  • The Trouble with Cowboys (Catcher Creek, #1)
  • Riding Hard (Sons of Chance, #15)
  • Hideaway Cove (Windfall Island, #2)
  • Sweet on You (Sweet on a Cowboy, #3)
  • How to Wrangle a Cowboy (Cowboys of Decker Ranch, #3)
  • A True Cowboy Christmas (Cold River Ranch, #1)
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Baby (Cowboys & Brides, #2)
  • Texas Twist (Texas Montgomery Mavericks, #4)
  • Cowboy, It's Cold Outside (A Marietta Christmas #4; The Scott Brothers of Montana #4)
  • Any Given Christmas (Sugar Shack, #2)
  • Catch Me A Cowboy (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #3)
  • Maverick Sheriff (Sweetwater Ranch, #1)
  • A Cowboy for Christmas (Jubilee, Texas, #3)

Whisper Creek (6 books)
  • Accidental Cowgirl (Whisper Creek, #1)
  • A Cowboy's Christmas Promise (Whisper Creek, #2)
  • Unlucky in Love (Whisper Creek, #4)
  • Meant to Be (Whisper Creek, #5)
  • Taking a Chance (Whisper Creek, #6)