Start by marking “Cold Hard Ride (Hard Land to Rule Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cold Hard Ride (Hard Land to Rule Trilogy, #2)

Cold Hard Ride

(Hard Land to Rule Trilogy #2)

Hard Land to Rule started this trilogy, raking in five star reviews. Cold Hard Ride now continues this gripping tale of men battling inner demons and devious adversaries. Austin is no longer friendly. Powerful politicians in the frontier town pursue their own prosperity at the expense of the less fortunate. Beat into submission, honest men are hard to find.
A rugged frontie
Published October 16th 2014 by Anthony Whitt (first published October 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Hard Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Hard Ride

Shawn
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everything this author puts out is impressive! First, I love the cover. It puts the reader in the mood to read a gritty, genuine western and the book does not disappoint. Second, I like the more complicated story line. This book is somewhat different than the first of the series as the main character is drawn with a bit more depth and self-doubt. He struggles to adapt to life within the new social order of post-confederacy Texas and the emerging economic and social realities of politics in Austi ...more
Pop
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anthony Whitt has fast become one of my favorite authors of The Western genre, right up there with the greats of Western writing. He writes with a little of Stephen Bly’s love of brotherhood, must have studied Elmore Leonard’s 10 Rules of Writing, and makes you angry for revenge like Charles O.Locke. The book was definitely hard to put down, I lost sleep for 3 nights (I’m not a fast reader). It’s a cliffhanger, can’t wait to read the final edition of this trilogy.
Tim
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A COLD HARD RIDE is the second book of the "Hard Land to Rule" trilogy that follows the continuing saga of a hard working rancher named Matt who has to battle against power hungry men who plot to take away the land owned by him and his neighbors and shielding themselves using the law, even though they are doing so in ways that are immoral and secretly hiding their unlawful activities.
Solid writing once again by author Anthony Whitt, who obviously has researched the Austin TX area history, and th
Susan Walker
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Western History and thought that this story was a lot closer to reality than most books of this time. The main character, who is away from home most of the time, cannot find the balance between duty and family. It shows the resentment his wife has for his job. This is not a western fairy tale.
Mike
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anthony Whitt does it again. He tames words and moves them into a corral in your mind like an Austin-area rancher who is aTexas Ranger moves cattle and men in the untamed wild west. Whitt's descriptions stick in your mind months or weeks after reading. He writes so well, you see the images long after you've read them.

Cold Hard Ride is book #2 in a planned trilogy. It follows Hard Land to Rule and takes the reader in to the loud and rowdy big city of Austin in the late 1800's to get payment for t
Nae
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's rare in these days of tight budgets and shrinking income that I pay full cost for a book instead of waiting around for the 99 cent deals to roll around, but as soon as I saw that this one was out that is exactly what I did, full price and I am not sorry I did! I read this book in 2 days, it was literally a "can't put it down, gotta know what happens next" sort of read :) I loved the first book in this series, but this one really moved itself up to the next level in a great big hurry. I can' ...more
Cathy
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Cold Hard Ride is a story that captured my attention right off the bat. It's a work of literature intertwined with romance, action, and a bit of historical fiction rolled up in a rugged western setting. Highly recommended!
Greg Nixon
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anthony Whitt's "Cold Hard Ride" is another great job of storytelling, continuing where the author left off at the end of "Hard Land to Rule." Main character Matt struggles to survive hostile Comanches on the Texas frontier, corrupt self-serving government officials in Austin and his own sometimes flawed decisions. Nevertheless, Matt embodies The Code of the West and the reader can't help but root for him. I enjoyed reading this book and highly recommend this and the first installment in the tri ...more
Patrick Clark
A good old Texas punch in the gut. This story captures the feel, the sounds, the smell, and the grit of life on the Texas frontier. Facing Comanches, Carpetbaggers, and their hired gunslingers, men and women in the Texas hill country led a tough life. Whitt's contemporaneous prose allows the reader to paint vivid and colorful images of a time past while the action marches through the pages. A strong hero, a good story, and a great read.
sarg
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finished "Coldhard Ride" by Anthony Whitt. Story of Texas during the carpetbag era after the civil war. Texans ranger Matt trying to save his place from the carpetbaggers trying to take his ranch for the unpaid taxes. Good plot true to history, and good character development gave it4 stars.
Jim Bocko
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book. It tells the story of life in post Civil War Texas. It has frontier families, Gun fighters, Indians, Texas Rangers and Politicians. It will keep you interested from the first to the last page.
Lowell Ross
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lowell by: goodreads
Shelves: western
A great read, continues the hardships & greed of the politics "that seem to still be here" Can't get away from this gripping trilogy.
Russell Brennan
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent follow up to one of my favourite self published novels. Cold Hard Ride picks up exactly where we left Matt and his fellow rangers at the end of the first novel, victorious but badly wounded and far from the safety of home. It's not long before Matt once again finds himself battling for his life and that of his friends against overwhelming odds.

In contrast to the first novel most of this volume takes place in the frontier city of Austin rather than on the plains of Texas. This gives
Deb
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An awesome follow up from Trilogy #1. Anthony has not only captured the feel of Texas, but of the people and the hardships of the pioneers.
Kim Stringfellow Long
Sep 03, 2018
Anthony Whitt
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Jan 12, 2015
Deborah
Mar 02, 2019
Writers and Readers : Cold Hard Ride is now available 1 4 Nov 06, 2014 08:51AM
Anthony Whitt lives in Austin, Texas with his wife Cathy where they raised two children, and currently enjoy their Lhasa Apso, a perpetual puppy. He is a native Austinite that has spent a lifetime studying the rich historical heritage of the American West. He has traveled extensively in the Rocky Mountains with frequent visits to sites of historic interest and tragic conflict. Closer to Austin, h ...more

Hard Land to Rule Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hard Land to Rule
  • Into The Hard Hills (Hard Land To Rule Trilogy, #3)