Start by marking “The Lord of Shadows Rises” as Want to Read:

(The Lord of Shadows)

It has been 200 years since the Lord of Shadows was sealed in a horrific battle with the Order of White Rose. Now the year is 1998, a boy with murdered parent's must gather allies to stop the once powerful Lord of Shadows from regaining his full power and breaking the seal. Learning from the Order of the White Rose guardians he must fight or his parents death would be in v ...more
Published October 11th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published November 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord of Shadows Rises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord of Shadows Rises

Meghan
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I have so much to say on this book, and yet I have no idea where to begin. It's a really interesting story, with a lot of action and fight scenes galore. I enjoyed it quite a bit, which I wasn't so sure that I would at the very beginning, but the story and characters kept me wanting to know more. I think the author has a lot of imagination and talent, and I am interested in reading other things that he comes up with. When I was talking to a friend about it last night, one of the things that I sa ...more
Ash Lingam
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good vs Evil...
An engaging manner of writing. Good story with the first book of the series working on character construction. From the evil Lord of the Shadows to Alexander to the rescue. The good vs evil. A creative martial arts story. A sprinkling of issues with formatting and editing but nothing that can't be overlooked by a standard reader. Looking forward to seeing improvement in the second book of the series.
Larry Gerovac
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I have to admit it, I like martial arts movies like: Enter the Dragon, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, IP man, and the list goes on and on. The Lord of Shadows Rises was the first action book I have read about martial arts. Like the movies, I was thoroughly entertained from the beginning to the end. Once I started reading I did not want to stop. The pace moved very fast and was an epic battle of good (Order of the White Rose) versus evil (Lord of Shadows). During the telling of the story th ...more
A.J. Raven
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't necessarily read martial arts fantasy stories. I watch animated series or games of such genres but not much books like that. However, I enjoyed the premise of The Lord of Shadows Rise by James Terzian. It feels like your normal young boy becoming a hero story but I liked the whole 'responsibility shifting to the younger generation' theme going on throughout the book. Not only that, the book also takes you to various countries as the Order of the White Rose fight off the Lord of Shadows. ...more
Sage Adderley-Knox
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Lord of Shadows Rises is an action-packed tale that takes readers to many parts of the world. The author starts the story with a bang and we meet a teen boy named Alexander. He loses his parents to a dangerous group attempting to locate a sacred key; a key passed down generations protecting the world from the dark Lord of Shadows. I especially enjoyed the meaning behind the White Rose Order.

The Lord of Shadows forms an army that defeats the masters in possession of the keys, but their pupils
Chris Douthit
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like the creativity of a martial arts fantasy book. From the start of the book I was interested in what was happening next. The story I believe is primarily targeting a younger male audience, but I found that is what made it so much fun to read.

The evil Lord of Shadows is trying to enter the world and it is up to the main character Alexander and his friends to stop them and the battles they face along the way. I found this creative story to be great and anyone who is into martial arts w
Terry
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
P.S. Meraux
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After losing his parents in a devastating attack, 16-year-old, Alexander must hone the martial arts skills his father taught him to protect himself from a battery of brutal mercenaries bent on stealing his birth-right; a strange key. But figuring out what the key entails requires Alexander to conquer his own fears and find the best in himself. That’s a tall order for anyone, especially for a teen.

Master Luray is the first master in the series of guardians who will train the boy. As a Master of
PanOrpheus PanOrpheus
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's the order of the White Rose against The Lord of Shadows in this gripping mystical fantasy that combines Martial Arts and transcendental development of the mind and body. The plot is suspenseful and the edge -of-your-seat twists and turns kept me reading. The three most important things in my reading are story, story, story, and it's here in spades. The twists and turns are surprising and unforeseen, and the ending is a standalone, as well as a satisfying way to lead to sequels. I can't wait ...more
Lee Parker
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this for free through Goodreads First Reads

First of all this has a totally unique to me story line. I have never read anything quite like it. If the grammatical errors and typos are fixed I think it could be a really enjoyable fantasy novel. However those things made it very hard for me to stay invested in the actual story.
Adam Monk-Daschke
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the lord of shadow. I can't wait to read more story from this author.

I highly recommend this book. I read it and thought it was a great story. I can't wait to read more story from this author. I give this book 10/10 and a 5 star review. I hope everyone who buys this book enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you for the great read
emily
The Lord of the Shadows Rises has such potential! I mean, this book has a solid, great foundation! I liked the main character, Alexander, he seemed like an average Joe but could kick some serious butt. Personally, I think the book could be gone over again to improve editing but other then that I'm impressed. I like how the descriptive the book is at parts especially in fighting/action-packed.

I would recommend this book to any fantasy, fiction or YA reader. Mr. Terzian did a great job at creatin
Ian Hunter
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Pluses: The novel has a sexy, compelling premise that’s the basis of a great story for this martial arts action slash heroic fantasy genre fare. The author does a good job keeping the story focused on what fans of this genre want to see, namely plenty of kickass action scenes, plenty of high stakes danger, and characters you’re vested in seeing survive their many trials.

Minuses: There is a fair amount of rather indiscriminate tense shifting between past and present tense in the storytelling, an
Maria Suarez
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to say I really like the Lord of Shadow Rises. This book is about the fight between good and evil focus around a 16yr old Alexander that lost his parents to the lord of shadows.
Alexander is preparing to take his master exam in martial arts and is very focus on what he wants, until one day after fighting a group of bullies that target his friend he comes home to find out his parents have been murdered.
He works with the order of the White Rose guardians and travels all around the world to
Ju Ephraime
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lord of the Shadows clearly demonstrates the creative skills of Terzian as he combines martial arts, fantasy, magic, and a whole lot more, in this epic tale. The scenes change rapidly with different characters constantly being thrown in the mix and I find myself going back over the preceding page to make certain I didn't miss anything. The battle between the Lord of the Shadows and the Order of the White Rose, rages on until the very end of the book.

This was all centers around a young boy’s
Pennie
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit, I don't usually read martial arts fantasies, but my friend said it was good and asked me to buy a copy. Turns out, he was right, it was a great read. The plot is strong and a very gripping tale from start to finish. A fantastic fast paced adventure that leaves you wanting more. Alexander was my favorite character, the 'good guy' whom tries to stop the lord of shadows from entering the world. Although the book is mostly centered around the younger generation, if you like fantasy mix ...more
Oct 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
**I received a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway**

This book was actually a DNF for me. I tried to persevere through it but the writing needs a lot of work - the author frequently jumps between the past and present tense in the same sentence/paragraph, and the conversations between characters are forced and do not sound the way people actually talk to one another. The writing just felt immature to me although with further work and ++ editing there may be a basis here for a good story
Mindy
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story with a different mythos. However it took a long time to get all the mythos explained and some of it is still murky. The story is interesting and intense with many twists and turns, but it lagged in some places. I think I would have prefered to get the mythos quicker and get more depth.

I still enjoyed this book greatly and look forward to reading more by this author.

I give this story 4 out of 5 clouds.

This product or book may have been distributed for review; this
Evelyn
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lord of Shadow Rises is an amazing book. Skill, Dedication, Truth, Honor are only a few words to describe this book.

Delivering a well written story, this author weaves the tale of a young boy whose parents are murdered. Seeking revenge he asks a Master to train him. Through tests and trials the boy is lead throughout the country to gain the skills he will need.

I will definitely be recommending this book to my students, whom I am sure will find it very entertaining

James Terzian
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Needs improvement. First I am the writer, this is my own evaluation so reader do know the author mind set. If I were to review it I would a four to four and a half out of five. I do admit my weakness. Grammar.

The selling point is plot and character. The needs improvement is grammar and tenses. This is what I would rate my work my own work. An author must evaluate his work. It good but can be better like all books.
Harrison Nguyen
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is overall an interesting one with a conflict arising and the characters involved doing what they can to deal with it. The characters themselves are easy to understand when it comes to their roles and mentalities within the story while the plot itself is gripping with fast action and adventure. Buckle up and check it out!
S.R. Gibbs
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After looking at the other reviews, I was very hesitant about reading it. Putting aside the opinions of others I bought the book. It was very good despite the errors, the author's story was readable and entertaining.
Desirae Brown
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was not my cup of tea at all. The grammar was pretty rough and the dialogue needed a lot of work as well, other than that the whole plot was alright and not something that you see alot.
Wena Gungon
May 02, 2017
Sdluvingit
Feb 04, 2019
Josephine Calabrese
By James Terzian

Order of White Rose vs Lord of Shadows
Good vs Evil

Alexander, along with allies, has to stop the Lord of Shadows from regaining full power.
The Order of White Rose and allies must prevent
the Lord of Shadows from breaking a seal.
Through training of both mind and body Alexander and others will battle
the Lord of Shadows. You'll read of mystical powers.
The force of the elements such as fire, wind, and water
add to making this such an interesting story.

The autho
Angela Sekovska
Mar 24, 2015
Jo Daniels
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of action. The story follows martial arts student Alexander whom due to tragedy becomes the guardian of a special key which when put together with five others raises the evil lord of the shadows.
Not my usual sort of book but it holds the readers interest with several likeable characters that keep you turning the pages until the end.
Andrea Franco-Cook
May 29, 2018
Deb
Nov 15, 2014
We PROMOTE Fantas...: Martial Arts Fantasy 1 5 May 18, 2018 09:13AM
  • Knight Blindness (Knights in Time #3)
  • The Perfect Submissive
  • Hunter Moon
  • Betrayal and Forgiveness
  • A Matter of Time
  • The Syn-En Solution(Sys-En,#1)
  • Shades of Desire (Jude Magdalyn, #2)
  • Last Vacation
  • Emerald City Dreamer (Dreams by Streetlight #1)
  • Succubus Lost (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #2)
  • Gifted (The Hayven Series #1)
  • Cat And The Stinkwater War
  • A Note of Scandal
  • The Queen and the Courtesan
  • Hybrid (House of Slide, #2)
  • Witches (The Cross-Worlds Coven Series, #1)
  • Judgement of Souls
  • Lord Griffin's Prize

The Lord of Shadows (3 books)
  • The Lord of Shadows: Redemption
  • The Lord of Shadows Rises: Rise of the Heroes
“You should not be too proud and accept help when it is offered, Lenora. Being overconfident will lead to your defeat if not careful” 1 likes