Start by marking “From the Depths: Gold - The Gate to the Abyss” as Want to Read:
From the Depths: Gold - The Gate to the Abyss

From the Depths: Gold - The Gate to the Abyss

(From the Depths #1)

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A digital novella penned by Adam Heine, telling a tale set in Numenera's Ninth World and tied into Torment: Tides of Numenera. Part of the "From the Depths" series of novellas touching on the Gold Tide.

The enemy of your enemy can still kill you.

After the destruction of Shuenha, Luthiya and the other survivors take refuge in a dessicated land of churning volcanoes and etern
Published October 17th 2014 by inXile entertainment inc.

To ask other readers questions about From the Depths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Depths

David
This is the first of a series of novella for the upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera game.

While the writing is enjoyable and the plot interesting, I can tell there's something that I'm missing to be able to fully understand the story as a whole. I managed to fill in some blanks by googling around but it would've been nice to have some questions answered within the novella itself.

I got the gist of what the story is trying to showcase - the Gold Tide. The tides are basically the alignment system i
Violet
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
From The Depths: Gold is the first of a five-novella series, each telling a story in the Ninth World and tying into different elements of Torment: Tides of Numenera such as places, creatures, and most significantly, the tides. It succeeds at introducing the reader to the strangeness of the setting without becoming overwhelming, and illustrating the intricacies and complexities of the gold tide. So you understand compassion, charity, sacrifice and think you've figured out the ways of the gold tid ...more
Cale
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this down (not that it's that long a read, so I didn't really need to) - the world of Numenera is so different from your traditional fantasy, and it makes this novella fascinating. Luthiya is torn between her people and the disturbing retreat they've had to make, and she comes to terms with what sacrifice truly means, even as she tries to balance between her people and the strange Ama, who tries to help those in need; but what that actually means becomes central to the story.
The
Elizabeth Morgan
This is a tie-in novella to go with Torment: Tides of Numenera. I was a Kickstarter-backer, and the novellas came in that deal. I'm reading them because I don't know anything about the Ninth World, and I don't want any T:TON spoilers.
Kelly
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel like I would have enjoyed this work more if I knew more about the Numenera setting - I felt left with more questions than were answered. But it was a enjoyable little look into the Numerena world.
Yulia
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very interesting novella set in the world of Numenera dealing with the gold tide. Good plot and characterization. Read if you are a fan of the Numenera roleplaying game or the upcoming computer role playing game Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Daniel
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-e-books
Interesantno štivo ali se stsvrno ima osećaj da je deo neke velike celine. Bolje možda sačekati da izadju sve knjige pa onda čitati.
Ovi
Oct 19, 2014
Christie Walker
Jan 10, 2018
Thom
rated it did not like it
Mar 12, 2015
Sep 13, 2017
Matthew
Jul 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Foster dad of 10. Design Lead for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Writes SFF about air pirates, droids, samurai. Repped by Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary.

For fiction updates and a free fantasy tale, sign up here.

From the Depths (5 books)
  • From the Depths: Indigo - For the Common Good