Start by marking “The Witness for the Defense” as Want to Read:
The Witness for the Defense

The Witness for the Defense

A British barrister takes the witness stand after becoming embroiled in a shocking murder in colonial India

Unassured of a family inheritance, Henry Thresk dedicates himself to pursuing a career in law. His determination is exacting; as a man of limited means, it has to be. Even when he meets Stella, a supremely appealing young woman, he refuses to consider love and mar
Published September 23rd 2014 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about The Witness for the Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witness for the Defense

Start your review of The Witness for the Defense
Marti
Nov 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The more that I read of this book which B&N wanted me to review, the less I liked it. The author seemed to be changing facts around all the time. Stella, apparently was not the young naive woman with whom Henry had fallen in love right years before. Was she or her brutal husband the victim? Do we really care? ...more
Kathy
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and engaging. The ending was less-than-satisfying, but I don't know how he could have ended it differently. Two people learn how they have misunderstood each other, with far-reaching consequences. A recurring quotation: "People get what they want if they want it enough, but they can't control the price they have to pay."
Carol Berkman
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Legal and psychological thriller

Really well crafted"mystery," with courtroom drama, psychological twists and some ironic social commentary. You can't ask for anything more. I'll be reading more by this author.
Jonathan
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok.

I like it for the hopeless romantic in me, that saves the book for me.

It’s not particularly well written at times, the narrative doesn’t flow as smooth all the way through, and Mason seems to reveal some of his prejudices and the views of his time (India as the dark exotic land of secrets, Victorian sense of honor).
Anthony Yvonnica
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not the riveting courtroom drama I anticipated. This, rather, was a tragic love story. And what one man would do for the woman he loved, and she for him. Lives gone wrong, love endures. This was a great story.
Cindy
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well-written and researched classic thriller. Pleasant and classic mystery/romance. Well narrated. Free on Librivox.org recommended for the "tired of reading that modern trash" readers.
Stephen Tubbs
May 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, lit, y-tube
I didn't find it enthralling.
BonusMom
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Older but great

Loved it. It us very well written, and keeps you guessing right up until the end. A little intrigue, a little romance, a little deceit. What's not to like? Nice to curl up with in front of a fire. I will read the others.
Perry Whitford
From The Four Feathers to the four featherheads.

Maybe that's a bit harsh, but the principal characters in this drama, especially during the opening act in India, were stiff and dull, even faintly ridiculous at times in their mannered staginess.

Stella Ballantyne is married to a brutal husband. An old flame, barrister Henry Thresk, visits the couple and witnesses her distress. After he leaves Stephen Ballantyne is found dead, shot with his wife's gun. In the resulting court case, Thresk intention
Tracy Spinks

• The Monk
  • Greylorn
  • The Victorian Internet
  • Personal Memoirs
Major Alfred Edward Woodley Mason (7 May 1865 Dulwich, London - 22 November 1948 London) was a British author and politician. He is best remembered for his 1902 novel The Four Feathers.

He studied at Dulwich College and graduated from Trinity College, Oxford in 1888. He was a contemporary of fellow Liberal Anthony Hope, who went on to write the adventure novel The Prisoner of Zenda.
His first novel,