Start by marking “Blue Wicked” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

Blue Wicked

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
ebook, 1, 167 pages
Published October 19th 2014 by Ailsa Publishing (first published October 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Wicked

Stephen
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay - I'll get the negative comments out of the way first. The cover of this book really doesn't do it justice and the glossary of Scottish words and medical terms at the end wasn't really needed. It is very violent and sadistic but that's okay as it is essential for the plot which involves a killer who moves on from torturing/murdering cats to torturing/murdering people. It is very unusual in that the main character is not a detective but a vet and that makes it really unique and a bit differe ...more
Col
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, j
Synopsis/blurb….

The tortured corpses of young alcoholics and drug addicts are turning up in Glasgow and only Eddie Henderson seems to know why. When he tries to tell the police, his information is ridiculed and he's told to stop wasting their time.

One officer, junior detective Catherine Douglas, believes him, and together they set out to discover why the dregs of Glasgow's underbelly are being found, dead and mutilated.

"This is an accomplished, well-constructed crime novel that deserves a wide a
Alfred Nobile
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book by Alan that I've read. This was a well written book , fast paced and keeps you turning the pages. The short chapters told about a different character each time adds to the fast pace of the book.
A word of warning though. If you are of the disposition that cannot stomach descriptions of cruelty to animals, told in a graphic style and also a liberal sprinkling of swear words, then this may not be a book for you.
I personally found it added to the realism of the book and we all
Lainy
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1.5 days

Publisher - Ailsa Publishing

pages - 302

Blurb from Goodreads

'Blue Wicked' is a Gritty thriller set in the south side of Glasgow. Eddie Henderson finds himself as the unlikely investigator with information that there's a serial killer targeting the substance dependent underclass who inhabit the notorious Glasgow housing estates. The police force ignore his warnings but one young detective believes him and she helps him search for the truth, despite putting her own care
Noelle
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book as an ARC by the author, in exchange for an honest review.

A unique storyline, I was intrigued by the blurb when contacted by the author. I have to admit, if you are an animal-lover like me, the first few chapters may be a little hard to stomach. There are some graphic and gruesome descriptions which probably disturbed me more than any of the murders I read about! But they serve a purpose and set the scene for Eddie to take his Vet hat off and put on a detective hat to try a
Karen
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
BLUE WICKED is the second book by Scottish author Alan Jones I’ve read. Each of them have come with warnings about strong language and use of the Glasgow dialect which is more of an attraction than deterrent for this reader.

The author’s first novel, THE CABINET MAKER, was an interesting variation on standard crime fiction fare. BLUE WICKED has a similar concept at the core, although it does ramp up the confrontation considerably.

Whilst the language and style is an attraction, the graphic and see
Keith Nixon
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Eddie Henderson is investigating a series of brutal murders around Glasgow, but no-one in the authorities wants to listen to him. Eddie is a vet and the victims are all cats, killed in a fashion designed to maximize pain and suffering. When human remains start appearing, killed in exactly the same fashion as the felines, Eddie finally gets some attention. He begins to track down the killer with the help of junior detective Catherine Douglas but the bodies begin to pile up…

Some months ago I revie
David Baird
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tale is dark; the crimes committed are designed to inflict as much pain for as long as possible. The person behind these crimes wants their victims to know they are dying and no matter what nothing can save them.

Initially when Eddie contacts the police no one takes him too seriously but things soon change and Eddie is brought in to help on the case.

There is a great build up throughout the book, each crime leaving you thinking what could possibly happen next.

Catherine Douglas has faith in Ed
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Blue Wicked is the second novel I have read by this author and I have to say that this one seriously took my breath away.

I have read a lot of crime novels over the years as well as watched lots of crime and horror films, but for the first time ever I had to keep putting this novel down and taking a bit of a breather and going back to it. Why I hear you ask? Well lets just say that the levels of torture and pain that the victims in this story suffered, well I think you do need a bit of a strong s
Joo
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

There is a cat killer operating in the Glasgow area. Eddie the vet is asked to look into this, but he has suspicions that the killer might go onto humans. Nobody in the police takes him seriously, even when the coincidences are too great to ignore.

This is the second book by this author and whilst I thoroughly recommended the first one to my father-in-law, I'm not sure I would recommend this one. The first book was a more gentle tale. This one is rather explicit, and at times nasty, in the murder
Judith Walker
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars from me. Gripping, gory storyline. Was quickly drawn into story which was well written and researched. Living in Paisley, I knew many of the places mentioned & descriptions of these areas were very accurate. Was fun spotting how many places I knew (including The Abbey Bar where I meet friends for lunch). There were several parts where the description of the animal & human murders were particularly gruesome. Good job I don't suffer from nightmares as the book was mainly read at ...more
Colette Lamberth
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of crime books so it was a wee change to have the vet as the main character rather than a police officer. Whether he would have been allowed to be so involved in real life is another matter, but this is fiction so let's just go with it. This is a dark, gritty book and at times challenging with some graphic descriptions. I note that there is a glossary of local terms at the end which as a Scot I didn't need but as a kindle reader only found when I had finished reading it.
Lynne McCartney
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous book by Alan Jones. Gritty and graphic at times, which made it really compelling reading. It was set in my home town of Paisley which made it even more relevant for me. I was rooting for Eddie and Catherine all the way through. Well worth a read if you enjoy the crime genre.
Chantelle Atkins
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read and enjoyed Bloq earlier this year, I was quite keen to read another dark and gritty book by Alan Jones. The description of Blue Wicked was also rather interesting. A vet who also works for the SSPCA handles a number of gruesome cruelty cases which involve cats being killed in increasingly violent and grotesque ways. Eddie takes his concerns and his evidence to the police, but is largely pushed aside and ignored. He is, however, assigned a small amount of time from DC Catherine Dougl ...more
Caroline Barker
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blue Wicked is completely engrossing; the grittiness, dialogue and sheer suspense kept me gripped throughout. The reader follows vet, Eddie Henderson, who specialises in animal abuse and poisoning, when he comes across cases where cats have been subjected to antifreeze and been abused under it’s influence. However, when Eddie hears of a murder with similar circumstances he begins to suspect that maybe the animal abuser has turned to harming humans. Is he right? If so, will the police take him se ...more
Leah Moyse
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was initally approached by the author, who enquired whether I would like to review Blue Wicked, I agreed as I do enjoy a good crime novel. I was however warned that it might be a bit too dark and gritty for me. That sounded like a challenge!

I was nervous upon starting this story, as I had visions of streams of gratuitous violence, I am pleased that this wasn't the case at all. I found the story to be gritty and dark as mentioned but I also found it incredibly well written, with a gripping stor
Vicki - I Love Reading
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I was lucky enough to recieve this book as a gift from the author. And it was my choice to leave a review or not.
As my reading list is so long at the moment, I thought it would be a good while before I got around to reading it.
Each time I turned my kindle on that cover kept looking at me. I was intregued to know what it was all about, the cover certainly doesn't give anything away and it's only after reading it, I understood. While on my break in work, I didn't want to spend to long figuring out
Gordon Mcghie
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Blue Wicked is dark. It is graphic and it is a brilliant read.

The lead character, Eddie Henderson, is a vet – he is a bit awkward, very career focussed and on hand at the opening of the book as the corpse is discovered. The initial description of violence was graphic and it sets out the expectation for what is to follow.

Eddie is convinced he has found a link between a series of animal attacks and wants to raise his concerns with the police. Sadly for Eddie attacks on animals are not high on the
Neats
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Blue Wicked is not a book for the faint-hearted! I was warned by the author that this was a 'dark and gritty crime story' and he wasn't kidding.

Eddie Henderson is an unusual crime novel protagonist in that he's a vet. He's been looking into some gruesome cat cruelty and it's not long before Eddie suspects that whoever is responsible for torturing and killing the cats has moved on and now it's the drug addicts and alcoholics of Glasgow that have his or her attention.

When he voices his suspicions
Shell Baker
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Alan jones and most certainly won't be my last. Blue wicked has definitely got the WOW factor for me this is what I call an excellent crime book.

Eddie Henderson is a vet investigating the death of cats in Glasgow. When bodies start showing up Eddie knows it has to be all related. Then young detective constable Catherine Douglas puts her career on the line and gets involved after the police ignore his warnings.

I must say this book is not for the faint hearted as it is ve
Rabid Readers Reviews
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We meet Eddie Henderson as he is investigating the brutal death of a cat. In short form with maximum impact, Jones describes a scene attended by people who have seen too much. The spectacle of the cat is a fleeting interest to these Glaswegians and one that gets old quick. Henderson himself is somewhat jaded though he’s trying his best to work for the good of the animals. Henderson isn’t a cop but once the human bodies start to appear he’s convinced he can help. In typical thriller fashion – tho ...more
Linda
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was warned by the author before I started this book that there were a few parts of the book that were a bit gruesome and that nearly put me off reading it, but I am glad it didn't.

The story starts with a vet called Eddie Henderson who has taken an interest in some incidents involving cruelty to cats. He liaised with the animal cruelty people and was trying to work out who was responsible.

In time the police become involved and Eddie meets with a detective constable called Catherine Douglas who
S.M. Harshell
**I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.**

Blue Wicked is a suspense filled thriller.

Eddie Henderson is a vet investigating the death of cats in Glasgow. When bodies start showing up Eddie knows it has to be all related. He gets help from a female cop, Catherine.

Blue Wicked is raw, gritty and some scenes are outright gruesome. It's suspenseful and fast paced, a quick read, well what should have been a fast read. I almost gave up having to consult the glossary i
Stacey Woods
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like a good crime novel and, thankfully since I was hosting part of the blog tour, this was one!

I’d honestly never thought about veterinary medicine, as being a natural element of a crime novel, but I’m not sure why since some of the techniques that Eddie Henderson uses are actual exactly those that would be used to investigate a murder.

One of the central plot points of Blue Wicked is that the murderer uses cats to practice methods of killing, before moving on to human targets which makes it a
Sharon
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Someone is killing cats in the most gruesome manner in Glasgow and Eddie Henderson, local vet, is taken on as a consultant by police when he raises concern that the killer has started targeting humans.

The first couple of chapters of this book are not for the faint hearted and I found myself wincing and trying to read with my eyes hidden! But persevere as this is a bloody good read!

It's a raw, gritty Glaswegian read (glossary included at the back for those not familiar with the terms used) which
Val
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As an animal lover I detested the beginning of this book immensely and almost gave up, but as
I was given an ARC by the very talented author, I was compelled to carry on and complete.
Wowee, I am so glad I did.
The animal cruelty at the beginning was necessary to lead us into the main storyline.
A wicked, heart pounding read. Looking forward to reading more from this awesome author!!
Highly recommended.

Sue Gale
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent gripping tale

A compelling graphic tale that compels you to read from the first word to the last.With strongly portrayed characters you find yourself rooting for this is a novel it will be hard to forget.Alan Jones is an Author to follow
Carol
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Blue Wicked” is dark, gritty and gruesome from the start! Alan Jones creates a unique story, which is gripping, graphic, and at times, extremely uncomfortable, but you won't be able to put it down! Highly recommended!
Katrina
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read, if a bit gruesome. Set in Glasgow where the criminal begins his ghastly work on cats before moving on to humans.
Kath
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Bloq when I read it earlier this year. I really got into the author's gritty style of writing and the way he tells a story so I had high hopes that I would also love this book. And I did, definitely. It gripped me so much that I read straight through in one day as I was very reluctant to put it down, definitely one to read on a day not much else is planned!
The next bit is quite important for those of a delicate disposition. It is nasty, it is graphic, depicting both human and
« previous 1 3 next »
Like button 5 4 Mar 11, 2016 04:00PM
Read Scotland 2015 : Prize Drawing 1 7 Mar 15, 2015 03:44PM
Read Scotland 2015 : Scottish Author needs you for reader interviews! 4 17 Feb 09, 2015 08:17AM
Read Scotland 2014: New Crime Thriller 2 9 Oct 22, 2014 03:53AM