Start by marking “Framed Ink. Marcos Mateu-Mestre” as Want to Read:
Framed Ink. Marcos Mateu-Mestre

Framed Ink. Marcos Mateu-Mestre

The ultimate guide to visual storytelling! How to make the audience "feel" the story while they are "reading" the story. Using his experiences from working in the comic book industry, movie studios and teaching, Marcos introduces the reader to a step-by-step system that will create the most successful storyboards and graphics for the best visual communication.

After a brief
Published July 2010 by Design Studio Press

To ask other readers questions about Framed Ink. Marcos Mateu-Mestre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Framed Ink. Marcos Mateu-Mestre

Start your review of Framed Ink. Marcos Mateu-Mestre
Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

There are probably no other books around that covers composition with emphasis on storytelling as well as Framed Ink. This is a whole book devoted to the subject, as compared to other books (on storyboards) that usually have only one or two chapters.

Although the illustrated examples are mainly movie composition, the techniques can be applied to animation, movies and even graphic novels. Every technique comes with a concise breakdown. You get to understand how
Natik
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This needs more reviews since art books are so hit-and-miss:

This book is not a drawing technique or even drawing style reference. It assumes you already know both HOW and WHAT to draw, but are looking for help in arranging the characters and objects in a dynamic way (to help propel your story). It was also good that he made complete sample comic/ storyboard strips so you could see how each panel interacts with the next. I'm also glad the text is very straightforward and not "stereotypically
Fill Marc
Framed Ink is an instructional book teaching techniques in storytelling in film-animation or live action, and includes a small section on techniques for comic book pages. It's ideal for those wanting to get into storyboarding in any media. I found the writing to be very clunky and maybe a little too wordy. It's obvious that English is not Marcos Mateu-Mestre first language. The ideas are clear and understandable but maybe could have been stated more simply. Most of the information is fundamental ...more
Sean
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really sharp and clear setting out of compositional principles for storyboard, animation and comics. The author, in beautiful art, lucidly explains the visual language of the frame and reveals the structure beneath the surface that allows visual storytellers to guide and support the unfolding of drama on the screen and page. If you are an animator, filmmaker, storyboard artist, comic artist or graphic novelist, then there is a wealth of insight and information for you here.
Eric
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, comics
This was a great look at the flow of a comics page and techniques to guide the readers eye. Of course this is also a good advertisement for the artist and his work. I'm curious to read some of the comics he highlighted here. Some amazing work.
Eric Basir
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An invaluable resource. Of all the art books I own and classes I've taken, this one tops them all.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
An invaluable resource of wisdom and performance, like a treasure trove for comic artists and animators. This is indeed a great look at the flow of a comics page and techniques to guide the readers eye in a beautiful performance. A really sharp and keen and clear setting out of compositional principles for storyboard, animation and comics. Of all the art books I own and the classes I've taken, this one, all by itself tops them all. Obviously this is also a good ad for the artist and his work. ...more
Dominika
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the subject matter is primarily for graphic novels, the aspects of cinematography covered could easily be applied towards photography or film. This was a super quick read for me, but I image the majority of the value of this book would be as a reference material in both the creation and critic of visual storytelling. The explanations are simple but the author does a good job building upon the fundamentals and covers a lot of material. I feel like this book may only scratch the surface, but ...more
Mya
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is superhelpful but is not a book to be read once and put aside, I'm sure I'll have to reference it often for ideas when I get stuck. There is simply too much to consider when composing an illustration. I wish the author went a little further on what shapes are eyecatching though, like as he said diagonals imply movement and S curves draw the eye, and he did mention triangle constructions but is there all there is? Indeed, the book is quite short.
Hesper
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-ref
Excellent resource for solving any number of visual composition problems. It assumes anyone referencing it already has a solid grasp of the fundamentals, but it relays the material so clearly and concisely that artists of all skill levels can benefit.

Dinging off a star for lack of exercises, although those can be easily extrapolated from the included examples. I suspect I'd have been less parsimonious had the book's focus been less oriented toward graphic novels.
Adam Hamilton
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
really awesome for storytelling of any medium, but Mateu-Mestre brings his stroyboarding expertise to comics wonderfully. This book is a great tool for anybody in the industry, from writers to pencillers alike. Except maybe letterers. Dude clearly doesn’t know much about that and doesn’t pretend to which is fine (but seriously the lettering at the end is bad)
Ian
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of invaluable, comprehensive, well-phrased insight. Unfortunately, it prioritizes concision at the cost of coherence; the pacing is an assortment of abrupt punches, so it can be easy to zone out.
Jessica
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-instruction
Fantastic book! Full of very clear examples. Even the sections that focus on comics have concepts that are useful for a painter. (Ex, dividing a subject so that it looks fragmented increase the tension in a scene)
Anika
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Book full of incredible art and great yet simple advice. Perfect to turn to for general inspiration or to help you solve a specific problem.

Let's go with 4.8 since I wish it involved excersises for practising the concepts it teaches :) But still the most helpful artbook I found to date.
M.i.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone interested in the way framing and composition works in film and comics. The artwork is stellar as well.
Jeff Ammons
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book on comic composition
Kate
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-and-drawing
Part technical manual and part dazzling art book, this work by master craftsman Mateau is helping me bridge the gap between drawing a compelling image and telling a coherent story.
Duong Rkudo
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An incredible visual textbook.
Lycoris Radiatta
Its an awesome art book. Has everything I was looking for: theory and great examples. I really recommend it !!!! ...more
Hanieh Salehi
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: useful-art-stuff
A good talk about composition and a fun reading. Recommended to any fellow artist :)
David Schembri
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. My only glitch is the writing aspect as descriptions became over thought, but mostly this was a great read. I learned a lot from this and will refer and recommend it.
Antonia
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, practical-books
A good book for any aspiring comic-book artist as it explains camera angles, composition of individual shots and the overall design of the page.
Niklas Häggström
Essential reading for visual storytellers. Regardless of whether you're into comics/cartoon/animation/live action this gem is full of wisdom.
Iinaniss
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow i will ask my friend to read this book
Beatrisa
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bestseller by the most popular postwar writer for children of all ages.
Lee
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about cinematic techniques that caters to graphic artists and animators, and I found this perspective helped me grasp some film principles that I had read about in movie theory books, but had not yet fully committed to memory. I recommend it for people who are learning about film techniques and also have an interest in comics and animation.
Juliana
A great read about composition and ways to create atmosphere and dynamics in the picture.
Void lon iXaarii
This book just blew me away. From the moment it got delivered and I had my first peaks into it I just couldn't put it down without reading half way through it. It's what I always wanted: knowledge through images. The illustrations are stylish and cool, without being too overworked and still clearly subservient to the educational purpose. I was particularly fascinated by the first part of the book (even on a 2nd pass) which was of bigger interest to me for concept art/illustration, but even the ...more
Serge Pierro
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
With the rise of the Graphic Novel as an art form, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there would be a growing selection of works on the subject. Marcos Mateu-Mestre's offering uses movie and storyboarding techniques to communicate the essential elements necessary to propel a visual story in a compelling manner, whether it be film, animation or a graphic novel.

Although I had been previously unaware of his work, Mateu-Mestre has an interesting and unique style which is on display throughout
Isaac Solis
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an art instruction book primarily for storyboard and comic book artists, but I think all types of visual artists could benefit from this book due to the outstanding insights into composition, mood setting, and theme cohesion. It covers all kinds of storytelling nuggets such as use of lenses, shadows, timing, and camera positioning.

The book is a good size format so that you can gawk at the amazing art and it has good binding still working well after more than a year of use from me.

I've

• Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
  • Creative Illustration
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Alla Prima: Everything I Know about Painting
  • Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Perspective Made Easy
  • Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative