Start by marking “Un océan d'amour” as Want to Read:
Un océan d'amour

Un océan d'amour

Chaque matin, Monsieur part pêcher au large des côtes bretonnes. Mais ce jour-là, c'est lui qui est pêché par un effrayant bateau-usine. Pendant ce temps, Madame attend. Sourde aux complaintes des Bigoudènes, convaincue que son homme est en vie, elle part à sa recherche. C'est le début d'un périlleux chassé-croisé, sur un océan dans tous ses états. Une histoire muette avec ...more
Published October 29th 2014 by Delcourt (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Un océan d'amour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un océan d'amour

Start your review of Un océan d'amour
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Make way for the cutest comic of the year thus far, everyone. This is also so lushly and gorgeously illustrated that I couldn't pass it up!

I love love love comics with no words in them. Simply because it tells a story similar to a small movie, and must rely only on show and not tell.

The Sea of Love: And you think babies are cute. Just look at this old man!

It begins when an old man gets a lovely breakfast, presumably from his wife and then turns on his radio to hear about the weather. I just LO
[Shai] Bibliophage
What I like about wordless graphic novels is that there's no need for characters' dialogues to be able to convey what they want to say; readers only need to check out the illustrations to be able to decipher the flow of the story. And Sea of Love did easily convey the narrative that it wants to reveal by just only checking out the drawings.
A Sea of Love by Wilfrid Lupano & Gregory Panaccione
This is the second worldless graphic novel that I came across and was really entertained by the tale of a married couple from a small village who both ha
Jane
A Sea of Love is an amusing wordless graphic novel with utterly gorgeous illustrations.

Each morning a doting wife sends her frail-seeming old fisherman of a husband off to work. One day things go a bit astray for the husband when his boat gets tangled up in the lines of an enormous ship.

One thing leads to another and he finds himself a adrift and alone at sea. Concerned when he doesn't return home, his wife refuses to give up hope that she'll find him, and eventually she hops on board
Dave Schaafsma
An older man leaves his wife and goes out fishing in his small boat as he does every morning, and his boat gets caught in the net of a large fishing trawler. Thus begins an increasingly silly adventure for the man as he attempts to get home. His wife, desperate to find her husband, gets caught up in her own adventure as she also struggles to make it back home. The feel at the end is romantic comedy, sweet: A Sea of Love, get it?! The depiction of the characters is sometimes a little too cartoony ...more
Anusha Narasimhan
This is a silent comic about the adventures of an old man who gets lost in the sea and his wife who goes on a journey to find him. It starts with the daily routine of the couple. The little details made me smile. The way the wife packs the same food every day and the man hides his dislike made me chuckle.

The man leaves for fishing and his boat gets caught in a big fishing trawler. We see him face one hardship after another while trying to return home. The wife first worries and waits for his ret
Chad
Jul 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, edelweiss
A pointless, wordless comic about a man lost at sea and his wife that goes to Cuba to find him on the word of a fortune teller. The art and storytelling are awful. I often couldn't understand why things were happening.

Received a review copy from Lion Forge and Edelweiss. All thoughts are my own and in now way influenced by the aforementioned.
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
3.5 Stars

This was an entirely graphic novel with all pictures and no words. A fisherman goes out in the morning and ends up lost at sea while his wife waits for him. Everyone is convinced he’s dead, but she insists on going out to find him. He encounters a huge industrial fishing trawler, ends up captured by pirates, then rescued by other pirates. One of the main secondary characters is a seagull he saves from a 6-pack ring. Definitely some environmental statements going on including an oil spil
Gorgeous, just gorgeous illustrations Nearly totally wordless.

This is the story of a fisherman who gets tangled in a commercial net, and gets sent off course. His wife has not given up on him, and has gone in search of him, though she has been told he is lost at sea.

The women of the village dress in the traditional costumes, I suppose, as a hint that they might be subservient, but the fisherman's wife goes through so much to find him, so she is quite strong.

Sea of love, lightening

Sea of love, trollwer

Sea of love, wife on cruise ship

Enjoyable story. Little guy vs coopera
Melanie (Perpetually Reading)
I haven't read many wordless graphic novels, so I was very glad to have gotten my hands on an eBook copy of "A Sea of Love".

Since there isn't any dialogue, it was a super fast read (and there isn't very much to say about it), but was easy to understand and the graphics were beautiful. I love Panaccione's art style, and I had a full understanding of what was going on even without any words.

A Sea of Love is a fun, heartwarming read about fate, adventure, and the fight for love.
Jenna
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, adult
A wonderful book that discusses the status of our world’s oceans and fishing through the quiet tale of a man trying to return home. What it reminded me of throughout was the movie Up, in the bizarre journey and friends you meet along the way.

Lovely coloring throughout and while I wish the two main characters (am not counting the bird, although it was my favorite) had been a bit less cartoony in their proportions, as it somehow made me worry less for them.
Catalina
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
Super fun comic! The artwork is so phenomenal. The story started so simple and turned into a crazy adventure.
Alex
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european-comics
I have a special place in my heart for wordless comic books. I tend to think of them as masterpieces of their own accord, where the creators (mostly the writer) put huge effort to express situations, feelings, unspoken dialogs only through illustrations and proper panel direction.

"Un Ocean d'amour" is a cute and warm "mute" graphic novel. It speaks about love, devotion, sacrifice, testing one's limits, enviromental pollution, chance and much more. Personally I think it stretched a bit right bef
Simon
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adorable and beautifully-illustrated wordless tale of an old grump lost at sea and trying to make his way back to his wife who, in her turn, is ready to cross the world to meet up with the hubby. Really reminiscent of Sylvain Chomet's work in terms of art style and some of the more satirical humour but much, much more kind-hearted and soft at the centre. ...more
Milan Šabić
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buy
This is such a feel good book I can read it countless times! Beautifully drawn, not a single word written in it, yet it tells so much! <3
Mahlon
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I loved this. It's like a modern, eco-aware, feminist, wordless narrative Odyssey that's genuinely funny and heartbreaking at parts. ...more
Jeimy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps the best graphic novel I have read this year. The classic story of the lost fisherman and the faithful wife waiting at home is retold with a twist. I devoured it in one sitting.
Kirsty
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most ridiculously cute graphic novel I’ve read in a long time (although ‘read’ might be the wrong word as it’s entirely wordless). I love an old person romance - like the start of Up, except no one dies. Actually there’s quite an Up vibe through this whole thing. I don’t want to say more in case it spoils the story, but it’s sweet and cute and made me laugh out loud more than once. If you’re having a bad day, this will sort you right out.
Kailey (Luminous Libro)
A simple fishermen gets up one morning, eats breakfast with his wife, and sets out to sea hoping for a good catch. But his day does not go as planned. A massive fishing trawler almost runs him down, a storm hits his little craft, he encounters bloodthirsty pirates, and gets his propeller tangled in a fishing net. Meanwhile, his wife is distraught with worry, and decides to go looking for him, falling into adventures of her own with belligerent chefs, sleek fashionistas, and military dictators.

Th
Emmy
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly sweet story that I enjoyed much more than I thought I would (not that I thought I would hate it, mind you, but it was a lot cuter than expected).

The story revolves around a man and his wife. He's a fisherman and she's a matronly housekeeper. Every day he goes out on his tiny fishing boat and returns in the evening to find her waiting for him. Only, one day, he doesn't return, after his boat is snagged in the nets of a much larger commercial fishing vessel, which leaves hi
Dusan Prvacki
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A Sea of Love is a wordless graphic novel and, even though it's wordless, it manages to tell so much.

It's one of the cutest stories around, and yet it manages to deliver a very strong message through 200 pages of illustrations at the same time, mainly about Earth and ocean awareness - and, of course, love. I'd even put it in front of a lot of movies, TV series, and fiction novels about Earth awareness.

In my humble opinion, this is a must have graphic novel, even if you're not a fan of comic book
Cassandra
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A touching graphic novel with a lot to say, without actually needing to use any words to say it! A beautiful story about a fisherman who gets lost at sea, and his wife who is awaiting his arrival at home. I loved every single frame. The illustrations were delightful, the color choice helped to give it that dreary look that it needed.

A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I truly appreciate it!
Carrie Templeton
This gorgeous little graphic novel is free of text, but is full of emotion. So detailed, so lovely. The illustrations are nothing short of phenomenal. I want to read this over and over again to catch all of the beautiful details.
Dany
so much love.
Michele
wonderful art and fun story of a fisherman whose ship goes off course, his wife who tries to hunt him down, and how he gets back home again. zero dialogue but you get everything from the pictures. i love his wife and the seagull especially.
Carrie Templeton
Olivia
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This crossed my radar in the last month and when I saw it was on Hoopla I wanted to read it immediately. A practically silent comic, this makes for a quick read. Even though there are no words except for those that pop up in the art naturally, I could hear so much through the art almost like the silence amplified the sounds in my imagination. The art is beautiful - the colors and use of line really do it for me. The style is a bit cartoonish in the sense that this reads like it could be an abbre ...more
Susan
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so charming - these two adorable oddballs have quite the set of adventures trying to find each other! I LOLed a couple times, and even gasped once. Love.
Oneirosophos
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true masterpiece, which reminds us that one picture is worth a thousand words and a million emotions.

Now, if only a studio could adapt it into a big screen animated feature!
Racheal
Really expressive wordless graphic novel about a grizzled old fisherman who gets lost at sea. I loved that it follows both the fisherman's quest to return home, as well as the unexpected adventures of his cutely fat, prim and proper wife as she tries to find him. Large in scope but a quick, fun read! ...more
Lee Martens
To tell a story without words isn't an easy thing to do, but it is something Lupano and Panaccione have mastered with their illustrated book A Sea of Love. In it, a small fisherman gets lots at sea. Trying to find his way home, he gets into all sorts of adventures. His wife back home, worried out of her mind, also gets into all sorts of craziness trying to find him.

The story is endearing and funny. It doesn't contain much depth, but because of the loveable characters, that is mostly forgiven. Fr
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Peau d'homme
  • Les Indes fourbes
  • Anaïs Nin - Sur la mer des mensonges
  • Et si l'amour c'était aimer
  • Polina
  • Open bar
  • La page blanche
  • Zaï zaï zaï zaï
  • Radium Girls
  • Formica
  • Pinocchio
  • Géante, histoire de celle qui parcourut le monde à la recherche de la liberté
  • Ne m'oublie pas
  • Saison des Roses
  • Algues vertes, l'histoire interdite
  • Malgré tout
  • Les grands espaces
  • Dans la forêt
Wilfrid Lupano is a French comic writer.

Wilfrid Lupano est un scénariste de bande dessinée français.

Wilfrid Lupano was born in Nantes in 1971, but it was in Pau that he would spend the majority of his childhood. His was a childhood spent buried in his parents’ comic book collection, even if his wild imagination and interest in writing is due above all to his love for role-playing games. As a young

News & Interviews